Class Questions

Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Class Questions

Post by Sylvus »

While I am away from home, installing the game, and trying to decide which class I want to play, I figured I'd try to gather some more information from you guys.

Which class(es) can resurrect?

Which class(es) can teleport?

Are there travel or mana regen spells (a la SoW or Clarity/KEI/etc) that are in high demand?

Anything else that a party usually needs (or will need at higher levels) that can be difficult to find? I usually play MMOs with a single group of people rather than pickup groups, so I'd like to pick my class with taking care of a specific need in mind.

If someone knows of a site that might make finding summarized information on the types of things I'm asking a bit easier for the both of us, I'm all ears. Or eyes, as it were.

Thanks.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Healers (cleric/bloodmage/disciple/shaman) can res.

There are no teleport spells, per se. But I believe all offensive casters (necro, psi, sorc, druid) get an evac spell.
All healers get a Call of the Hero type spell that only works in dungeon type areas.

Various classes get movement buffs. Shaman, rangers and bards get them for sure... I'm not positive what other classes also get them. The primary means of travel are mounts... horses, camels, wolves, etc. At higher levels you can get flying mounts.

Psi get mana/power regen buffs.
Clerics get endurance regen buffs.

Out of combat regen is pretty quick. It can also be supplemented with food. There really isn't much downtime in the game meaning those kinds of buffs are nice, but not necessary.

At this early stage, there seems to be a surprisingly good balance in classes.

Healers which are usually in high demand in most other games are plentiful in VG. I play a bloodmage which is a necro style healer. I'm most effective when I'm actually dealing damage. I have lifetaps that can heal myself or other party members. With each successive offensive spell I cast on a mob, my Blood Union increases (think WOW rogue combo points). With higher blood union, my heals heal for more, my nukes nuke for more and I unlock up other abilities like a no-mana, intant cast finisher that deals BIG damage but resets my blood union to 0.

From what I have seen, all other classes have similar skills/spells/abilities which make their playstyles unique.

http://vanguard.tentonhammer.com/
Has class overviews, but much of the informaiton is outdated.

I've toyed around with a cleric, shaman and sorcerer... but I've been having so much fun with the bloodmage that I haven't commited to getting any of them past level 7 or 8.

I'll have lots of time later to fuck around with alts. I can see the game has great replayability.

Feel free to PM me or if you start on Targonor, shoot me a tell.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Thanks miir, that gets me started, at the very least.

The official Vanguard site didn't seem to have much info about anything.

Are there class/alignment combinations that don't allow one character to group with another? Anything along those lines that you have to worry about?

Go Blue!
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I haven't seen anything that prevents grouping. There are KOS issues in certain areas depending on your race and/or faction.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

How are druids? I've always been partial...

Are they overplayed? Are they useful in a group? Any other pros/cons people see?

Go Blue!
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Sparse. There aren't many from what I could see on our server. They are nukers and not healers. Plus the get levitate WoooHoo.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Bubba Grizz wrote:Sparse. There aren't many from what I could see on our server. They are nukers and not healers. Plus the get levitate WoooHoo.
Druids can also heal.
They are more suited to a backup healer role than a main healer.
However, with a good tank they can handle the primary healing role.

I see a good amount of druids around and have grouped with quite a few. The ones I have grouped with are usually dead. It seems they like to overnuke, overaggro and completely forget that they have healing spells.
Usually after the 4th or 5th res they remember their healing spells.

Are there class/alignment combinations that don't allow one character to group with another? Anything along those lines that you have to worry about?
There are no faction/class/race based grouping restrictions.
flankmen
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by flankmen »

Ten Ton Hammer and Silky Venom are both really good resources. Once you get up and running, Vanguard MMODB is your quest/item/bestiary database, and if you plan on doing any tradeskilling (which I'm guessing you will), Vanguard Crafters will be a very helpful board.

I've grouped with a few druids, but as Bubba mentioned, they're few and far between on Woefeather (assuming that'd be the server you join?). Their healing capabilities seem pretty low on the ladder, maybe in line with pallys.. maybe even a little less. I know that if I was looking for a secondary healer that could dish out some dmg, I'd take a disciple or a blood mage over a druid any day. Druids do have a lot of great buffs and utility spells, however, and can really pump out some dps.

Glad to see that you're on board with the game. I think you'll enjoy it.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I know that if I was looking for a secondary healer that could dish out some dmg, I'd take a disciple or a blood mage over a druid any day.
Same here... mostly because the druids I have grouped with have sucked.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

What's the scoop on the shaman class besides having heal/res and movement buffs?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:What's the scoop on the shaman class besides having heal/res and movement buffs?
Like EQ Shaman, they have great buffs and (depending on patron) some awesome debuffs.

At level 15, they get to choose a pet/patron.

Wolf: You get a dex boost, improved power regen, boosted movement speed and stealth (while in wolf form). The pet is a hybrid type class. It deals good damage and can take some hits.

Bear: You get a str/con boost, increased melee damage, improved HP/endurance regen. This is the patron to choose if you want the sweet debuffs. The pet can really take a beating and deals pretty good damage (which will probably be nerfed because it seems to deal more DPS than wolf).

Phoenix: You get increased power, power regen, group damage shield, increased spell damage and fire resist. The pet is high DPS but can't take many hits.

The playstyle is quite different depending on your patron.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hmm, shaman sounds pretty fun. Seems like Bear or Phoenix would be the choices to help in guild/raid type stuff.

Do you become the animal or is the it a pet? Any way to switch patrons and work another one up in level if you decide to change later on?
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Thanks for the info everybody, I think maybe I'll play around with it (once I've actually logged into the game for the first time) before deciding. But right now I'm kind of leaning towards a druid.

Funny, I don't look druish.

Go Blue!
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Is the avatar of the mustache ride guy really you?
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

No, not at all.

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

His eyebrows aren't that dark. :!:
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Are asslings as hated in this game as they were in EQ?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

you mean the squished down human model passed off as another race?
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

can monks feign death
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

kyoukan wrote:can monks feign death
Yes, i've heard the Drunken Style Monks get the highest Feign Death skill as well.,but i've also heard that they "broke" Drunken and Harmonious Monks a few weeks ago, so most went Dragon Style until the fix.

Every Monk (regardless of style), gets Feign Death I though.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

The problems with the Monk-class atm

Stances - First and foremost I believe at this point most monks have found the stance choices a matter of fighting in the stance which has the least affect on their character, rather then the one with the most benefit. The benefits do not out weigh the penalties associated with them. The recent 2 second cooldown removes the aspect of stance stepping in combat, which I felt was a big part of the class up until now. (This excludes the "Jin Hack" that was obtainable by spamming Harmonious Body Stance, which was clearly a bug)

Harmonious Monks
-- Stances don't provide much of a benefit post 40. Once the most evasive discipline (arguably the best for high end pulling) has been negated significantly.

- Harmonious Body Stance - After the recent patch, this stance basically negates the decay of Jin points after five seconds of activation. Taking into account the out of combat Jin decay, you will generate roughly 1 Jin every minute it is active. The major plus to this stance is...it has no negative affect on you. Doesn't really provide any benefit aside from not worrying about decay between fights. Perhaps making this a passive ability for Harmonious monks, active at all times may be helpful.

- Eternal Crane - This stance scales its penalty as you level. Starting at a 25% damage reduction, eventually down to 0% at level 50. Before the evasive changes implemented it provided a 25% bonus to dodge, parry, and block. Block was removed from the monk skill list, and the dodge and parry have been reduced to a +8% bonus (which is usually not fully utilized due to stacking issues with Aum's and buffs). It also provides a 25% reduction to endurance costs. Looking at my future skills I was greatly looking forward to Aum Ti (20% endurance cost reduction and 5% parry), in hopes of stacking the endurance reductions and providing myself with abilties at 55% of base cost. Only to begin chanting the Aum and find out that the reduction to endurance costs does not stack, making this stance obsolete starting at level 40. An easy fix would be to allow stacking of the two reductions and avoidance, as well as increasing the overall percent of avoidance provided.

- Magnificent Tiger - Increases your critical chance by 20% and scaling up as you level, while increasing endurance by 50% (penalty does not scale down with level). This stance is very useful when using Jin attacks but removes a big part of the Harmonious playstyle, which is use as many attacks between your Jin pool and endurance bar as possible before haulting. I have this stance macro'ed to my Ashen Hand (/combatformset "Magnificent Tiger" /cast "Ashen Hand V", then all of my other endurance related abilities macro'ed back to Harmonious or Crane stance) but this has been reduced in efficiency by the two second cooldown now associated with stance stepping as you will often be stuck waiting for stance cooldown when your endurance abilities are ready to be executed. The biggest issue with this stance is a problem with the crit bonus stacking with buffs, gear, and weapon types. It appears to have the 25% added before other crit rating modifiers are factored in. With heavy +% crit and dex gear, along with buffs almost no benefit is noticable from switching to this stance. A suggestion for this stance would be fix the stacking issues, remove or reduce the cooldown on stance stepping, and scale the endurance cost penalty down minorly as the monk levels.

Drunken Monks
-- The path chosen for off-tanking monks, as well as pullers who can take a beating, however both aspects have been almost completely removed.

- Drunken Fist Stance - 10% damage increase, while generating 25% more aggro. This stance is clearly for soloing or tanking in groups as you will compete with tanks for aggro if used. Monk tanking after the evasion revamp has become a thing of the past for a group killing anything higher then two dots, and certain three dot mobs. This stance saw use before the evasion patch, and allowed the monks to function as an off-tank for groups. Since then, it only offers most groups a mana drain. A possible fix to this stance would be switching the damage modifier with a damage reduction or avoidance modifier, allowing drunken monks to perform the role of off-tank once again.

- Drunken Master Stance - 10% attack speed increase and 5% dodge increase. This stance provides monks with the least amount of penalty for using the stance, but provides no real benefit other then 5% dodge. Currently monks damage, haste, and weapon type have little to no affect on 90% of the abilities used in normal combat (Will discuss this issue more later). A fix for this would be adding a set amount of damage to all abilities rather then haste (or making haste affect monk abilites) and increasing the percentage of avoidance gained.

- Drunken Sway Stance - 10% to dodge, but 10% less accurate. This stance has seen perhaps the most extreme effect from the evasion changes. Almost everyone can agree that 10% is not worth a 10% reduction to accuracy simply because the two do not scale equally. A mob will gain more benefit from you missing 10% of the time, then you will see from +10% to dodge (once again 10% increase is usually not completely obtained). A possible fix for this stance would be to increase the evasion provided, possibly add a percentage boost to all damage dealt while in this stance, and significantly reduce the accuracy penalty as well as scaling it down as the monk levels.

Dragon
-- This was viewed as the "DPS" discipline for monks at the expense of endurance, as well as the AoE route for monks. To increase your overall damage from this discipline you end up sacrificing variation and enjoyment for slightly increased damage. Since the evasion patch the functionality of AoE'ing in most situations has been removed.

Dragon Stance - Provides health regen out of combat. This stance provides no benefit during combat and the amount of regen isn't comparable to that gained by food. It's greatest appeal would be for monks who have Feigned Death, but remain in combat with not much health left, giving them a chance to regain some health and allow them another chance to Feign Death. In combat regen from a fix of this ability may provide an advantage soloing, but I'm sure most monks would just like to see this stance replaced completely.

Stone Dragon - Improves the monks armor scaling in level and adding resistances, while reducing attack speed. The armor gained has very little impact on the reduction in damage taken, the penalty for attack speed has little or no affect on the damage output of the monk. This stance doesn't seem to have much impact either way. Possibly reduce a flat percentage of incoming damage, or provide a percentage of resist to stuns, roots, snares and change the penalty to a reduction in run speed or percentage of outbound damage.

Storm Dragon - Lightning damage proc in exchange for an increased decay rate of Jin. This stance does increase the overall damage output of monks, but seems to take the fun and variation out of the monk class.

Abilities

Ignore Pain - Currently this ability is only healing for at best two-thirds of its intended health (according to amount shown by the trainer). Like many other classes have witnessed, some abilities are being attached to skills such as alteration which are not available to them, therefore reducing the intended affect. It would appear as if this was the case for Ignore Pain. Even when using ranks of this ability far outdated, it is not providing the full effect. Another concern for this ability, is the loss of functionality as raid gear (health bars) is obtained. I would love to see this line of abilities switched to a flat percentage of health that scales with rank (ex. 20%, 25%, 30%), rather then set amounts of health. Another popular concern regarding Ignore Pain is the cooldown of five minutes. In order to provide more functionality a more reasonable cooldown should be implemented.

Boundless Fist
- Previously all the other melee classes (both heavy and light) had their percentage based attack damage significantly increased. However, because Boundless Fist was desiged as 'weapon damage plus x damage' rather then '100% weapon damage plus x damage' I feel this ability has been overlooked and therefore scaled down in comparison to equivalent abilities of other melee classes.

Thousand Fists and Thundering Fists
- Monks heavily rely on chains for their overall damage output. The fist line of finishers costs 27 endurance and has a 1 minute cooldown, while the kick line costs is 10 endurance and no cooldown. To earn a one minute cooldown and nearly triple endurance cost, the Fist line damage needs to be significantly increased to be considered usable by monks.

Waning Palm - Currently can only be used on a defensive target when they are the primary target of the mob you are attempting to lower their threat on. It still has situational use, but should be considered for changing to any defensive target, to help prevent others from stealing aggro in the first place. It should also be usuable on the monk themselves, to provide an alternate to Feign Death for aggro management.

Deadly Adder Hand - Extremely high endurance cost without scaling damage, the higher the monk levels the less effective it becomes. I realize the main function of this ability is the STR debuff portion which does scale with level, but feel the duration should be increased and remove the damage altogether or have the damage scale with levels. The damage of this ability at any level seems a bit low.

Secret of Flames - Needs an upgrade in damage as well as changing the ability from percentage of damage dealt to direct fire based proc, to allow monks some effectiveness against mobs resistant to melee damage. Increased duration, in exchange for increased cooldown or cost.

Secret of Ice
- Increase in duration. Change to check cold resist, rather then applying a percentage of melee damage.

Secret of Celerity
- Increase in duration. Reduction of cooldown and fix the ability to actually double the attack rather then slightly increase the damage dealt. Reduce Jin cost slightly.

Secret of Transcendance
- Slightly reduce Jin cost.

Divine Typhoon - Reduce cooldown to allow multiple chances of triggering AoE chains.

Diamond Body - Thirty minute cooldown for a two minute duration is quite excessive. Monks mainly use this ability to remove an ability while pulling to a group to remove a single affliction, as they usually have a group member capable of removing it when they are with the group. Cooldown should be significantly reduced as well as the duration. A single cleansing of afflictions for a much shorter refresh timer would provide greater utility.

Wave Hand in Cloud - This ability has mostly functioned as a last resort, its current Jin cost of ten excludes it from many of its practical uses. An alternative would be reducing the cooldown to provide functionality for AoE'ing.

Pushing Hands
- Pushing opponents out of stance has come in handy, but only a small percentage of mobs use stances most resort to buffs that provide similiar benefits. Perhaps allow this ability to remove mitigation or avoidance buffs from a mob temporarily.

Nerve Strike
- Currently this ability is broken by Psionicist AoE mez as well as many other minor AoE debuffs. With a 30 second cooldown, these make monks less dependable as a crowd control option in groups. This ability should be broken upon damage, to keep it in line with other classes mezmerize capabilities, or atleast make it less sensitive to certain debuffs.

Aums

Aum Liat - After the horse movement buff speed changes, monks should be granted a Five percent increase to mounted speed while chanting to keep in line with other classes movement buffs.

Aum Ti
- Many stacking issues. The five percent to parry does not grant the full amount. The twenty percent reduction to endurance costs does not stack with Eternal Crane, putting harmonious monks at a big disadvantage.

Aum Kor
- Ten percent to melee haste has no real affect on the overall damage output of skills.

Pulling - Many changes are still being done with mob pathing and pull mechanics, but would like to address a few problems I have come across to make sure they are known.

-After the recent fix to mob warping, mobs return to their spawn points immediately when aggro is cleared. This has completely changed the system in which monks are accustomed to pulling. The easiest way for monks to split mobs in a timely fashion is to run up to the mob and Feign Death in front of it before casting Nerve Strike on it. Then standing up aggroing the add(s) and bringing them back to the group. As mobs begin to hit harder and harder, this becomes a risky task, mixed in with failures on Feign Death and the severe reduction to monk avoidance causes us to become a mana sponge while providing the role of puller. I fear monks are losing their functionality as pullers. Lull has become the prefered method of choice and is available to a wide variety of classes. With the newly added reduction to mob aggro from resisted lull's Feign pulling may soon become a thing of the past. Removing yet another of the quickly fading appeals that monks once had.

Weapons

The current system for calculating monks damage has almost impact on the weapons which they have equiped, outside of stats and critical hit rating. For many monks, they focus on kicks and low endurance cost abilities which are set damage, and are not impacted by weapon damage. This mainly concerns me for high end content, where other classes will be recieving lengendary weapons increasing their damage significantly, while monks will be capped by this factor. The combat system involving monks needs to be analyzed before it is abandoned by its fading community. Weapons that add base damage to all kicks or hits in general need to be implemented, or the formula for strength should influence the way weapon damage influences non-percentage based abilities. The most exciting part of playing a melee class is receiving new weapons, having it have no affect on your character is quite discouraging.

Haste

It appears that the current system of haste has no affect on melee damage not only for monks, but across the boards. It increases the swing rate of auto attack which is hardly a fraction of overall damage output. As with monk weapons, haste should increase the DPS of weapons, therefore increasing the overall damage dealt by abilities.

Counter Attacks

This seems to be one of the major topics of discussion for the monk community. Vanguard is not a game in which soloing is encouraged. In groups, it is a light fighters role to remain below the tank on the hate list. With these two things in mind, what role do counter-attacks play for monks? The endurance cost of counter attacks is greater then that of normal abilities which provide greater damage and are usuable at any time. As a harmonious monk, debuffs are a big part of the discipline, unfortunately most of these debuffs are triggered counter attacks. The concept of reaction abilities is a big step away from click and AFK MMO's, but needs some rethinking in regards to offensive fighters. Perhaps allowing other classes the chance to perform a counter attack after a groupmate performs the required evasive manuver. Or providing an ability that activated counter attack abilities without being the main focus of the mob.

-- My main focus of this thread was to include the idea that Monks as a class have seen some dramatic changes since their creation in Vanguard. I do not wish for monks to be the best tanks, highest dps, and sole pullers in Vanguard. I also realize every class has many bugs that need attention, and everyone feels their class is in need of fixing. I merely wanted to express some of my concerns regarding the class I have chosen. I know much of the monk community is disapointed in the dramatic changes that have occured regarding our class, and we hope that Sigil realizes they are taking away the aspects of Monk that made us decide to play one. Even within the class, the disciplines we have chosen to follow. I hope that perhaps this draws some attention to the stances, abilities and issues that much of the monk community is troubled by. And after changes are made, allow those monks who wish to change their discipline path the chance to do so. They are no longer what they were when the path was chosen.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

dp
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:dp
How do you double post in two different threads?

And how do you post that picture about miir when you have a lotr avatar, sig, quote, etc. from a game that you're apparently just as much of, if not moreso, a fanboy of?

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Sylvus wrote:

And how do you post that picture about miir when you have a lotr avatar, sig, quote, etc. from a game that you're apparently just as much of, if not moreso, a fanboy of?

Who said dp stood for double post? :twisted:
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

pt
miir and I are best friends. <3
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Boogahz wrote:
Sylvus wrote:

I realize you're making a jest, but for those who aren't aware, originally Midnyte replied to the top two threads in this forum with the same picture that he drew or whatever of miir. That's just for the sake of clarity for those who don't know!

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Sylvus wrote:
Boogahz wrote:
Sylvus wrote:

I realize you're making a jest, but for those who aren't aware, originally Midnyte replied to the top two threads in this forum with the same picture that he drew or whatever of miir. That's just for the sake of clarity for those who don't know!
And for your second question of him, I would think the irony would be obvious. Fight Fanboyism with Fanboyism.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Heh, I'm hardly a fanboy.

There's plenty of things wrong with Vanguard.

If you want to criticize the game criticize it's real problems and faults, not something subjective like the quality of an ultra compressed 'real gameplay' 70k screenshot of Vanguard to a 1.3 meg promotional screenshot of LoTRO.

I enjoy the game despite it's faults.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
If you want to criticize the game criticize it's real problems and faults, not something subjective like the quality of an ultra compressed 'real gameplay' 70k screenshot of Vanguard to a 1.3 meg promotional screenshot of LoTRO.
That ultra compression must have compressed the foliage and wildlife right out of the picture!

These are the Vanguard images previously posted before compression:

miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Why don't you look up the meaning of the word subjective
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sylvus wrote:

Originally, I posted it here and it timed out. So I decided it owuld be better in the other thread. About and hour later it just popped up in this thread. Very weird.

DP- double penetration, not double post. /boggle

The difference is I'm not beligerant over the game. I think they will both do fine and I'm not going to get all in a tizzy over people bashing LOTRO. I'm really digging LOTRO and could care less who does or does not like it.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

But what about the Bitch My Man Is Not Yo Baby Daddy Style monks?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

masteen wrote:But what about the Bitch My Man Is Not Yo Baby Daddy Style monks?
Do the ghettos and trailer parks of America have monks? I'm confused.