Landis - No TdF 2007

What do you think about the sports world?
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Landis - No TdF 2007

Post by Siji »

I've still got a sliver of hope that he's innocent. But it's a shame he won't be riding this year. Though, didn't he just have major hip surgery? If so, I'd think that would affect him anyway..
PARIS, Feb 8, 2007 (AFP):

American cyclist Floyd Landis will not defend his 2006 Tour de France title following an agreement he has made with the French Anti-Doping Agency (AFLD). In return the agency agreed to postpone its hearing into the failed doping test that Landis returned after winning the race last July.

Landis, who tested positive for testosterone after his triumph in Paris, had already made it clear that he would not attend Thursday's AFLD hearing in Paris. He is due to appear before the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) in May.

The French agency said that its hearing would be adjourned until the end of June at the latest and that Landis had agreed not to compete again in France before the end of the year.

"Mr. Landis requested that the AFLD allow him to first defend himself in front of the American agency," an AFLD statement said. "He has agreed not to take part in any cycling competition in France before the end of 2007 and that includes this year's Tour de France."

"On the basis of that commitment, the agency has decided to adjourn the hearing to a later date that will be decided on how the American procedure proceeds but no later than the end of June."

Landis is facing a two-year ban from the USADA, while the AFLD can only stop him from competing in France. Only the International Cycling Union can strip him of his Tour de France title.

Lawyers for Landis welcomed the AFLD decision saying that two hearings running parallell could have resulted in contradictory statements and conclusions.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

I have been waiting for someone to post all the drama... 96 Tour winner admits to doping, people threatening to out victims of molestation, this is rather good theater, too bad it's not.
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

6 time Green Jersey winner Erik Zabel admitted to doping for a brief period of time in '96, but stopped due to adverse side effects. His teammates Rolf Aldag, Udo Boltz and some other no name I can't remember offhand also admitted to doping for several years.

'96 Tour winner Bjarne Riis, the only Dane ever to win the tour, and 6-time winner of the Drolgin lookalike contest, admitted to doping today.

Basso admitted to attempting to dope shortly after asking to be released from his contract with Discovery and shortly before being forced to submit to a DNA test.

Jan Ullrich's DNA test matched the blood found in Dr. Fuentes lab in the Operacion Puerto scandal.

Landis' guilt or innocence is largely irrelevant now. His trial is a joke because of his manager, etc. I fucking hate Greg Lemond to begin with because he's such a bitter old bitch, and I think the fact that he was going to testify in the first place is retarded beyond belief, but for Landis' manager to do what he did... whether Floyd knew it or not... The trial pretty much lost all credibility.

I'm so tired of professional dopi-- err cycling.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Cycling is such a mess right now... its a shame when all the headlines the sport is generating are about doping and not about the races.
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I find it interesting that people are stepping forward to admit that they did it. I can't say I've seen that in any other sport. At least that's how I read it, I honestly haven't been keeping up with it all.

I did see the headline a week or so ago where Landis said that WADA promised him the most lenient penalty ever if he could provide proof against Lance. How fucking crooked is that? He told them to get bent from what I read.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Truant wrote:I find it interesting that people are stepping forward to admit that they did it. I can't say I've seen that in any other sport. At least that's how I read it, I honestly haven't been keeping up with it all.

I did see the headline a week or so ago where Landis said that WADA promised him the most lenient penalty ever if he could provide proof against Lance. How fucking crooked is that? He told them to get bent from what I read.
The problem with that Tru is that if it really occurred, it was verbal and there's no proof other than Landis saying that. :( I like Landis. I kind of believe that he didn't knowingly dope, but I think the trial has done him more harm than good. :(

The reason a lot of people are stepping forward at present is because they were all on T-Mobile at the time, and I think there's a fear that one will rat out the others. The ones who are admitting it are saying they did it of their own volition and the team had no knowledge, but I think it's bullshit. :(
Tour Winners '91-'05:
'91 - '95 Indurain
'96 - Riis - Admitted Doper
'97 - Ullrich - DNA matches Blood bags from Puerto
'98 - Pantani - Admitted doper or at least convicted doper.
'99 - '05 - Armstrong
'06 - Landis - Failed drug test.

Green Jersey Winner:
Erik Zabel admitted to trying to dope in '96 but having bad side effects from the EPO

Polka Dot Jersey Winners:
Richard Virenque - Caught in the '98 Festina affair admitted to doping.

Basso, Hamilton, Heras, Mancebo, all caught up in the Puerto affair.

Fuck Pro Cycling.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Pro-Athletes = enhanced... pick any sport you like, I will also add the WEAKEST policy is as follows
The NBA's policy requires first-year players to be tested once during training camp and up to three times during the season, while veterans are tested only at camp unless there is probable cause for additional testing. Penalties include a five-game suspension for a first positive steroid test, 10 games for a second and 25 for subsequent offenses.

Since the NBA began testing for steroids in 1998, three players are known to have tested positive.
3?

Baseball gets a bad rap... that is pathetic

Jefferson
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

So disappointing.. I'd actually started getting into cycling with all the hype around Lance (yeah, I jumped on the bandwagon like a poser).. then found myself following it a bit more aside from him. Now, I have no interest in it at all.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Why would you need steroids to play basketball? I think their policy is just fine.
Fuck Michigan!
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Zamtuk wrote:Why would you need steroids to play basketball? I think their policy is just fine.
HGH... might help... but only a little because how could something called HUMAN GROWTH HORMONE help you in basketball, you are right, I am being silly.

Steroids for overall strength, injury recovery, strengthening repetitive motion (jumping, running), these are things that really aren't part of the game either, you are right again, I am just being goofy now.

EPO- endurance booster for your 46 min a game player, lock me up, I must be crazy to think this would help.

1 drug test a year and only during a specific month (ie skip a cycle) is absurd, how this flies under the radar I have no idea.

Jefferson
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: Landis - No TdF 2007

Post by Canelek »

I had a really cool picture of Lance selling drugs to children. Cannot find it now. :(
en kærlighed småkager
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Somewhat interesting off of cyclingnews.com:
Growth hormone debate continues

There's no end in sight to the debate of human growth hormone's performance enhancing properties as new Australian research shows the outlawed drug does little to improve performance. The research, carried out by the Gavan Institute and funded in part by the World Anti-Doping Agency, says that the growth hormone must be accompanied by doses of testosterone if it's to have any impact on performance.

"We were surprised to find that human growth hormone has no effect on muscle mass or sports performance," Professor Ken Ho reported of his findings to a world endocrinology meeting in Canada. "If it had a dramatic affect, we would have found it."

The research shows that while growth hormone increased body mass it has no effect on overall muscle mass or performance, unless taken with testosterone.

"The combined drug regime enhances the sensitivity of our tests and means we can detect sports dopers for weeks after they stop taking the banned substances," Ho told AAP. "This has major implications for random drug testing."

It's hoped Professor Ho's paper, which is based on a test of 100 recreational athletes, will deter up-and-coming sports men and women from using the substances.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I was so right about Lancey! :D And where the fuck did my MSPaint picture go????
en kærlighed småkager