The Super Bowl approaches

What do you think about the sports world?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

america's national basketball team has been at a disadvantage for most of its history. it used to be america would only send collegiate athletes to the olympics and other international basketball tournaments while the other country's teams sent their pros. teams that some times played and practiced together since their childhood.

every year america fields a different team of talented players with very little time to build any kind of team chemistry. if america had a national team that practiced and played together for years i guarantee you they would dominate.

plus, our country doesn't fund the training for our olympians.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I'm going to go through this and get out because I don't want to get into an even more longwinded CFL v. NFL topic. At least not on this thread.
Actually you're betraying ignorance of the sport, Sueven. Most CFL player are US college players that there wasn;t room for in NFL. The average player in the NFL isn't that far superior to the CFL player: the difference is in the stars of the leagues.
Um, yes, the best players in the CFL are comparable to the worst players in the NFL. And there is certainly a size bias in the NFL and a speed bias in the CFL, but bottom line? The fastest guys are still in the NFL. Listen, I don't deny that the CFL has talent, but to claim it's even close to on par with the NFL is just... incorrect.
Ricky Williams who was recently one of the premiere running backs in the NFL played in the CFL this season. He was horrible and completely ineffective.
This is a bad example. Let me count the ways:
1. Ricky Williams was 2 full years removed from his last productive season when he entered the CFL.
2. Ricky had missed 20 out of his past 32 games, and wasn't the primary running back even when he did play.
3. Ricky broke his arm early on in the CFL.
4. Ricky was not utilized as a primary ball carrier in the CFL.
5. Ricky was uniformly praised by his coaches for accepting a role that was completely different than what he'd been asked to do before and performing quite well at it. You might want to consult them about your 'horrible and completely ineffective' claim.
Then you have players like Warren Moon who had an above average career in the CFL who went on to break pretty much every passing record in the NFL.
Yup, Warren Moon was good. So was Doug Flutie. Kurt Warner played arena football; it's not like scouting is an exact science.

The likely reason that Warren Moon wasn't in the NFL in the first place was racism. And when you say 'an above average career in the CFL,' I think you mean 'won 5 consecutive championships' and 'only lost 1 playoff game ever' and 'set the all-time league record for yards in a season.' Claiming the Moon 'broke pretty much every passing record in the NFL' is equally hyperbolic, he broke records for single-season attempts and completions and tied a record for most 300 yard games in a season. He also finished his NFL career with a QB rating of 80.9. He was an excellent quarterback, but at least wikipedia the dude before you imply that he was better in the NFL than the CFL.
CFL defenses are far more mobile. The 350 lb+ linemen in the NFL that create a wall of meat on the line of scrimmage aren't effective in the CFL because they line up with a yard inbetween. They actually have room to outmanouvre and break through.
Yes, rosters which are constructed with a particular ruleset in mind tend to be better suited for that ruleset than are rosters which are designed with a different ruleset in mind.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote: Ricky Williams who was recently one of the premiere running backs in the NFL played in the CFL this season. He was horrible and completely ineffective.
Ricky Williams is a washed up, unstable, unfocused man. You've got to be kidding if you think that's the best the NFL has to offer.

My predicition for an NFL vs CFL Superbowl:

NFL 55
CFL 6
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

You've got to be kidding if you think that's the best the NFL has to offer.
And apparently you can't even fucking read.

I said he was recently one of the premiere running backs in the NFL .
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Date Site Opponent & Score
Aug. 12, 1950 Ottawa N.Y. Giants 20, Ottawa Rough Riders (CFL) 6
Aug. 11, 1951 Ottawa N.Y. Giants 38, Ottawa Rough Riders (CFL) 6
Aug. 5, 1959 Toronto Chicago Cardinals 55, Toronto Argonauts (CFL) 26
Aug. 6, 1960 Toronto Pittsburgh Steelers 43, Toronto Argonauts (CFL) 16
Aug. 2, 1961 Toronto St. Louis Cardinals 36, Toronto Argonauts (CFL) 7
Aug. 5, 1961 Montreal Chicago Bears 34, Montreal Alouettes (CFL) 16
Aug. 8, 1961 Hamilton Hamilton Tiger-Cats (CFL) 38, Buffalo Bills 21

On the Last Game that the CFL won

For Buffalo and the AFL, the game was a disappointment. The Bills were befuddled by the Canadian rules, suffered a rash of preseason injuries, and used untested rookies who were not familiar with their system, having practiced less than two weeks. The game exposed the weakness of the young American Football League. For the Tiger-Cats and the CFL, it was redemption for the 6 previous losses to US teams. It would mark the last time the CFL and NFL/AFL met in history.

The Buffalo Bills finished 6-8 in 1961, last place in the AFL East. They finished 1/2 game better than in 1960, the first year of the league’s existence. The team was led by receiver Elbert Dubenion. Hamilton went 10-4-0 to finish first in the East and out-dueled Toronto in the playoffs to advance to the Grey Cup. But, Winnipeg won the Cup, scoring a thrilling 21-14 overtime victory in Toronto’s Exhibition Stadium in the only overtime game to ever be played in Grey Cup history to date. Quarterback Bernie Faloney would go on to be the CFL MVP in 1961.

So as history clearly states the NFL will beat the CFL, close topic please.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:

Yeah, and the Arizona Cardinals had one of the recently premier RBs in history in Emmitt Smith. OMFG, he sucked while playing with the Cardinals! Wow, and we had Edge last year! He sucked too!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Warren Moon put up some decent numbers in the NFL mostly because of the system he played in. They were one of the first teams to employ a spread offense with the run -n- gun. But to put him in perspective, Jon Kinta put up a 79.9 QB rating this year which is remarkably similar to Moon's career number....and the threw for 4208 yards and 21 TD's. Moon's career high was 400 yards more than that.......and it certainly would not make Kitna a good QB here.

If you look at Moon's career stats, it shows he struggled mightily in his first 4 years in the NFL. I guess when he had to play against superior players, he had to re-develop his game.
Al
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Al »

Jon Kitna also fumbled the ball 11 times, losing 9 of them and was sacked 63 times. He also had more interceptions than touchdowns (22/21). The most Warren Moon was ever sacked was 47, in his rookie season. In 1990 Warren Moon threw 33 TDs and only 13 picks. For comparison, Rex Grossman was only sacked 21 times this year and had 20 picks to 23 TDs, and no one is calling Rex Grossman a good quarterback right now.

Warren Moon is a fluke in history. Most players that come from the CFL to the NFL don't do nearly as well as he did. Doug Flutie's brother Darren played in the NFL as well as the CFL. He was rated in the top 50 greatest CFL players of all time. I don't recall ever seeing a Darren Flutie Highlight Reel from the NFL.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Winnow wrote:
miir wrote:

Yeah, and the Arizona Cardinals had one of the recently premier RBs in history in Emmitt Smith. OMFG, he sucked while playing with the Cardinals! Wow, and we had Edge last year! He sucked too!
That has nothing to do with those men. When a football player moves to Arizona, he is first overcome by the heat (maybe you should include this in your loving the desert thread). Then an aura of suckiness saturates his body which he has to battle day in and day out. Meanwhile, he still has to deal with an ignorant coach, an unbelievably pathetic offensive line, a defense afflicted with "choke-itis" and continued upper management decisions that detriment the team.

We should call this "The Curse of Phoenix": Destroying prolific football careers, one player at a time.

:?
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

No excuses! Barry Sanders played for a sucky team and managed OK!

Emmitt was washed up. Edge is semi washed up but could manage a 1000 yard season next year.

The Cardinals will be in the playoffs next year. I'd bet my Air Conditioner on it.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re:

Post by Aslanna »

masteen wrote:Prince played electric guitar on a giant neon light fixture in the pouring South Florida rain. He fucking rocked that joint.
Best halftime show ever! (would have been better without the commentary.. and was the full set. Visual quality is good though!)

RIP Prince
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: The Super Bowl approaches

Post by Winnow »

Yesterday a Prince song was playing at the gas station that I was filling up at. I didn't know anything was wrong with Prince but I thought to myself that I hoped he didn't die soon. His generation isn't far off from mine (ours) and for some reason yesterday it was on my mind that I didn't want to see that age group start to kick the bucket.

It's a little creepy that he died the next day. He had issues but was a unique talent for sure. I wonder if we'll ever get his music on a streaming service. He was big into protecting his music and videos. Prince videos never lasted long on YouTube.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:I wonder if we'll ever get his music on a streaming service.
Tidal. I doubt you'll see it anywhere else. At least until the people managing his estate sell out or whatever.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, definitely unexpected. First Ave is just a couple miles from my place, so I went out to see the turnout for the party they threw in remembrance of him last night, it was pretty amazing - several city blocks in every direction around it were packed with people.