The Super Bowl approaches

What do you think about the sports world?
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The Super Bowl approaches

Post by masteen »

Ultimate QB showdown, total contrast in styles, who ya got?

Peyton Manning, the gridiron scholar, the physical prototype:

or this guy:
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

It's either going to be Peyton playing well and winning the game, or Sexy Rexy not playing terribly and not losing the game for the Bears' Defense.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

There's something about Grossman I just can't stand. I'm not even talking about how bad he's played at times. Just his personality, etc.

I'll be rooting for Manning and Dungee.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I think the Bears are only going to win if they bring in Kyle Orton's neckbeard.

"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Well.....the Bears defense is not going to do well against the Colts unless they make a major change. Playing a basic 4-3 defense will let Manning's blockers work with their best protection scheme and they will not get enough pressure on him and unless he has one of those Manning playoff chokes, he will carve them up with short ball control passing. The 3-4 zone blitz packages have been the only real thorn in his side. Pittsburgh...San Diego...New England.....those teams all have given the Colts problems and all run that defense.

The Bears can run the ball between the tackles on the Colts D. That means they really need to start Cedric Benson and give him a shit ton of carries. Let Rexy stretch the field on play action deep throws to keep those safeties from keeping up and they can control the clock and put up points.

This game is so much harder to predict than any other becuase so much relies on whether either of these coaches will make the smart play. Neither has been very good in the playoffs (much like Bill Cowher until last year...when he shocked teams by throwing the ball while they stacked the line).

My prediction is that the Bears win if they mix in a 3-4 defense with a zone blitz package and Cedric Benson gets a majority of the carries. I don't think Lovie has the sack to do it.....but if he does they will win.

For the Colts to win.....they need to run the ball right at Urlacher right off the bat then throw deep seams routes on play fakes. The Bears won't get much pressure on Manning without the zone blitz and he should be able to hit Dallas Clark down that deep middle route. If they leave Urlacher free to be able to roam back there along with the 2 safteies, bad things will happen to their passing attack.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm going out on a limb and saying the Colts will win by 14.

Colts 31
Chicago 17

After seeing the Cardinals grab a 21 on the Bears, not by luck but by great offensive play, I doubt Payton Manning will have much trouble putting up points over the course of an entire game against the Bears. The Colts won't collapse like the Cardinals did.
Al
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Al »

Sylvus wrote:It's either going to be Peyton playing well and winning the game, or Sexy Rexy not playing terribly and not losing the game for the Bears' Defense.
Agreed. Being a Bears fan, I want the Bears to win. If they don't, I'll be content with a good game (and I don't mean a pat on the ass). The Bears will need to run the ball a lot and force turnovers every chance they get. If Indy wants to win they will have to play mistake free football, including special teams, where they were 30th against kick returns.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Colts by 14+.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

omg you can't say superbowl! that's copyright infringement!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I'd like to see Benson and Vasher get their rings, but I don't think Chicago will be able to hang well enough :/
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Oh snap Truant, I forgot.

Should I call it the AFL/NFL Championship Game?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Colts 38
Bears 21

my prediction.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

masteen wrote:Oh snap Truant, I forgot.

Should I call it the AFL/NFL Championship Game?
You can't say NFL anymore either!

One radio station here is advertising their party as the, "Watching Bowl Super Party."
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

I am hoping for the Colts.. but I got this nagging feeling that Rex will luck out and hit some passes for a change.
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

Bears 31 (17)
Colts 14 (29)

----
Grossman 7 for 12, 1 TD (2 INT = Loss)
Manning 18 for 28, 2 TD 1 INT (No Long passes, didnt need them)

Bears will either run back a kickoff/punt for a TD or large gain. (First Play!)

Thier defense will pick Manning and run back a TD. (Picked but no TD)

Manning could get 2 INT, if he throws up a late 4th bomb attempt. (Grossman decided to take this role in the play)

Jones for Chicago, 1 TD on the ground, 3rd string HB Adrian Peterson 1 TD off left tackle on a 5 yard carry. (Grossman prevented this with his turnover-rama)

Bears will score a FG on thier first drive. (They punted instead)

Indy will fumble twice, both times turning the ball over. (Yep!)

First fumble will come from Bears stripping the RB. (Yep!, hit the RB on handoff)
2nd will be wideout dropping the ball after large hit in the seam. (Yep! but then Chicago gave it right back!)

Grats Bears on getting past the Legacy of the 85 team. (Grats Grossman on making Harbaugh look like a god!)
Last edited by Xanupox on February 5, 2007, 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Colts 17
Bears 13

boring first half, thriller second half!
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Colts 20
Bears 6
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Colts 17
Bears 7
cid
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cid »

Colts 31

Bears 10
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

as long as a quarter ends with Bears *7 and Colts *0 I will be happy

2k happy
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Colts 24
Bears 17
Animale
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Animale »

Bears 12
Colts 10

The Bears kicker makes a 55 yard field goal at the gun for the win and the Super Bowl MVP (4 FG).
Animale Vicioso
64 Gnome Enchanter
<retired>
60 Undead Mage
Hyjal <retired>
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

As a Colts fan, this game is driving me fucking nuts.

Edit: and now that the Colts have settled down, and Rex Grossman is being Rex Grossman, this game is kicking ass!

Edit2: Taking a lot of pleasure in the fact that not only is Grossman going to lose, but he's going to suck doing it.
Last edited by noel on February 4, 2007, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Not sure what is sucking more.. this god damn cold that has me freezing to death under a thick comforter or this game.
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

Is it possible to have a negative QB rating? You have a game this season where you have a rating of 0.0, you'd think it couldn't possibly get any worse.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

There we go! Took him 3 quarters but now Rex is playing likw thatt 0.0 QB rating he earned!
Timmah.

noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

I just have to wonder how bad Griese and the other backup have to be for Grossman to be your guy.

Here's to me never having to watch him play again.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

All Colts fans should vote Rex for MVP.. for the Colts! :twisted:
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

Grossman killed the bears.

They would have done better going without a QB, playing with 3 RBs and doing random direct snaps.

Grossman fumbled 2 snaps... turning one over, sacked himself twice, threw 2 really bad INTs (one of which was ran back for a TD) in the 2nd half. He had 3 chances to continue running up field after being forced out of the pocket and every time he decided to throw it, but was always incomplete. If he had ran, he had blockers upfield everytime.

He got so fucking scared to even look downfield after his 2nd INT, that when the bears did finally have thier "last chance", with 8 minutes to go in the 4th and only down by 12, he tossed a 2nd and 3rd down pass to the running back in the flat (without even looking to a wideout or tightend) only to lose a total of 3 yards over the 2 plays. He set himself up for a 4th and 8, zipped the ball to a wideout so hard, the reciever couldnt even hold onto it.... grats Grossman you fucked the Bears, you fucking loser.
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

So happy for Dungee and Manning.

After all that happened in the last few years for Dungee it's nice to see him get here.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

I second noel. There is no classier guy than Dungy and Manning is not too far behind. Not to mention he is a damn good QB, will rank among the best ever and I will continue to laugh at the people who ridicule him.
Last edited by Kelshara on February 5, 2007, 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Chicago's much vaunted defense blew this as much if not more than Grossman. Big, bad, physical...wha? The boasts of Chicago's D were more fitted to the Colts. Grossman didn't play great but he wasn't the only reason they lost. He wears horns on his picks: one was a bad throw and the other was trying to force a play but there was shit with his center and the rest of the O-line helping him look bad. Rexie got em 10 pts after they were spotted the kickoff return, but the ever-fierce Bear D couldn't stop Addai and Rhodes and that was pivotal to the game.

On the whole, I have to say I enjoyed it more than I hoped, with the major drawback being that you knew it was over before the halfway mark of the 4th quarter with the way the NFL clock rules are. The opening kickoff and Manning's lackluster first drive (and shit like the fumbled pt after on their first TD) had me thinking it would be a long day for Colt fans but they way they were able to recover. I think the rain was a definate contributor to the outcome of the game but it was impartial: the Colts coped and the Bears never seemed to. This year's NFL playoffs reminded more of the CFL for entertainment value than what I've been used to from the NFL :p

Edit: and yes, I'll agree that its nice to see Manning and Dungy come away with a win :)
Last edited by Wulfran on February 5, 2007, 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Why did they say they were world champions in a competition only played by American teams?

World championships need international participation for them to actually be world championships.

This was my first time watching the Superbowl, it was alright I suppose, until that retarded "!world champion!" bit.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Nick wrote:Why did they say they were world champions in a competition only played by American teams?

World championships need international participation for them to actually be world championships.

This was my first time watching the Superbowl, it was alright I suppose, until that retarded "!world champion!" bit.
nick every american sport calls themselves world champions.. we're just that arrogant i guess..
Timmah.

noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

All of the American sports teams are considered 'World Champions'.

I'm not going to say it's right or wrong, but if you look at the financial statements of the NFL (especially), NFL and MLB it's not hard to see why they're considered the world's premiere leagues in their respective sports.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

It is wrong by the very definition of a world event. There's literally no point even discussing the validity of the claim because it's just literally false.

Regardless, I actually think I understood what happened tonight in the game, roughly, for the first time 8)
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

I laugh every time I hear the World Champion line.. I find it highly amusing, quite arrogant and in a way.. typical American :p Do they say the same thing for MLS?
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Nick wrote:It is wrong by the very definition of a world event. There's literally no point even discussing the validity of the claim because it's just literally false.

Regardless, I actually think I understood what happened tonight in the game, roughly, for the first time 8)
So For 40 years they have been playing the Super Bowl and for 40 years thay have been calling the winner The World Champion and you wait till now to bitch about it?

Did God put a windmill on this earth you fuckstains wont joust?
Last edited by Cartalas on February 5, 2007, 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Yes, just to annoy you cart

lol you edited your post to add in that? fucking hell that's awesomely hilarious.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Winnow wrote:I'm going out on a limb and saying the Colts will win by 14.

Colts 31
Chicago 17
Off by two points!
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

Rex will be a good QB soon. He did not have a bad year for his first year starting.

What he did today was ridiculous. The defense was on the field for entirely too long, partly their own fault for their 3rd down play, but there was a time in there when the offense went 25 minutes without a first down.

The offense got the Bears a total of 7 points. The special teams got 10 points, from the kickoff return, which forced Vinaterri to squib it the rest of the game, resulting in the other 3. That's completely unacceptable. It wasn't just Grossman, though. That offensive line might as well have not even shown up.

Regardless of this being a team loss for the Bears, Grossman will get the blame (and rightly so, imo) for this loss if only due to the pick 6 halfway through the 4th quarter, down by 5. I need to buy a new remote tomorrow.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Oh well, Hester is my hero. I loved watching the Colts keep it as far away as they could from him all game.
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

The MVP should have been the Colts Offensive line...
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Lovie Smith should be the goat. Everyone that has seen the Bears at all knows Grosmman's track record and Lovie is too gutless to yank his sorry ass out. The Bears were moving the ball on the ground and all they needed was someone that could have just the THREAT of completing a pass to his own team. Even with all the Colts "dominance" in the game, they were only up by 5 until Rex started winging it to them. As soon as I saw that second lollipop fucking throw that resulted in the TD for Indy, his ass would have been on the pine and Griese would have been playing.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

17 to 28 is not a good run/pass ratio for Chicago.

I know Cedric coughed it up early, but you can't just abandon half or your running game after one bad play.

Chicago's defense got tired because they were on the field for 40 fucking minutes.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

masteen wrote:17 to 28 is not a good run/pass ratio for Chicago.

I know Cedric coughed it up early, but you can't just abandon half or your running game after one bad play.

Chicago's defense got tired because they were on the field for 40 fucking minutes.
Maybe it was Cedric Benson's half that was abandoned since he was injured?
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I missed that driving from my parents over to my friend's party.

But even without him, Jones was having a great game, and they just didn't give him the ball nearly enough.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

I was watching the game with 7 others all rooting for the bears.... I enjoyed the game, but I'm disappointed in chicago.

btw, that was probably the only half-time show i've ever watched from start to finish and actually enjoyed. prince didn't lip synch, he actually played the guitar live too.. and despite looking like prince he still has a voice.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

Really? I thought Prince sounded absolutely horrible.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

I thought it was the best halftime show in years and I'm not a Prince fan at all.