The Super Bowl approaches

What do you think about the sports world?
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Prince played electric guitar on a giant neon light fixture in the pouring South Florida rain. He fucking rocked that joint.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Arsecn
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Arsecn »

Winnow wrote:
Winnow wrote:I'm going out on a limb and saying the Colts will win by 14.

Colts 31
Chicago 17
Off by two points!
Well done Winnow. Inc PM for tips/advice for my next week of betting.

WTG Colts and Manning. At least he can retire, whenever he does, with a ring on his finger... unlike my man Danny Marino. I foresee Peyton breaking many if not all of his records.
~ 70 Troll Scourge Knight ~

"You're talking a whole lotta Jibba-Jabba."
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I was glad to see the Colts win. It's amazing how much Peyton Manning erased so quickly-- he has his ring, he has a winning record in the playoffs, he's beaten the Patriots 3 straight times or something. Last year, it would have been blasphemy to claim that Peyton was a better quarterback than Tom Brady; now it's a perfectly reasonable thing to say. I guess that's a flaw in using the how-many-rings-you-got criteria to evalute players who haven't retired yet. Seeing Dungy win was nice as well, along with Marvin Harrison and a lot of the other classy people on that team.

You hate to pile on Rex, but really, he did play terribly. The Bears defense, despite having to be on the field quite a bit, managed to hold the Colts to 22 points. That's a good enough performance to give your team a chance to win. I guess the running game didn't help out much either, other than that one long Jones run, but it didn't really get a chance to do much. Rex completed a high percentage and threw a nice TD, but in the end he made too many bad plays. I can understand the sentiment that you've got to ride with what got you there, but it just seems weird that we're at the end of the season and the Bears are still throwing out these early-game plans that take the ball totally out of their quarterbacks hands.
Why did they say they were world champions in a competition only played by American teams?

World championships need international participation for them to actually be world championships.

This was my first time watching the Superbowl, it was alright I suppose, until that retarded "!world champion!" bit.
This is absurd. Nobody else plays American Football (except for the CFL, but that's clearly a minor league). As such, the American champion is the world champion because nobody else plays it. I mean, perhaps it's not the most appropriate description of the achievement, but really, who's being slighted? To get offended and consider such a claim to be arrogant is ludicrous.

If the MLS champion were billing themselves as the world champion, it would make sense to get pissed about that. Same, even, for the NBA and MLB (although other nations top players do generally leave to play in American leagues). But nobody else plays football.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

There's probably one person that has it worse than Rex Grossman tonight...

Edgerin James!

But at least you got paid... Right Edge?!?!?
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Would be nice to see another country play against the Super Bowl champion....maybe they could do a world tour or something.

Until they start playing football elsewhere (that isnt NFL minor leagues) I think its safe to say they are World Champions. Carry on with your America hating

I hate Prince but I thought he did a good job with the halftime show
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Gotta agree with the lauds for his purpleness...Hell of a show at halftime and I revile halftime shows...

Anyone else think the commercials this year were largely suck? Only three or four were even remotely clever...I blame the pharmaceutical industry...
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Best commercial IMO was the Coke commercial with the kinder gentler take on Grand Theft Auto.

Second best wast he FedEx commercial on the moon.

Go Daddy's commercial was lame.

Prince did a nice job with the half time show in the rain.
Al
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Al »

While football is a team sport, I blame tonights loss on Rex Grossman. He was blowing those passes in week 4. If he had any real accuracy in his throwing arm, he'd be dangerous, but he consistantly under/overthrows passes that should be touchdowns. If the Bears stick with him (which I am nearly positive they will) I can only hope that experience does him wonders. He is crap, and in my opinion he takes the entire team from a "world champion" level to a lucky to be in the playoffs level. Kyle Orton wouldn't have done that bad tonight, and he's the 3rd stringer (and I can't stand that douche, for similar, yet vastly different reasons). When the Bears picked up Griese I thought it would be a change for the better... He got, what?, 14 snaps all season? He didn't throw any picks. Maybe that's why they don't play him.

I have never been more disgusted to be a Bears fan, and I stood by while they drafted RB after RB leading into 3-13 seasons.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

This is absurd. Nobody else plays American Football (except for the CFL, but that's clearly a minor league). As such, the American champion is the world champion because nobody else plays it. I mean, perhaps it's not the most appropriate description of the achievement, but really, who's being slighted? To get offended and consider such a claim to be arrogant is ludicrous.
Who's offended? It's just plain old retarded and illogical. Chest thumping load of old twat imo.
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

noel wrote:I thought it was the best halftime show in years and I'm not a Prince fan at all.
At least someone from Minnesota got to play in the Super Bowl.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

World Champion is the truth regardless of how arrogant it sounds. The truth is they are the best football team (real football, not sissy soccer) in the world.

That is the truth.

The truth.

Truth.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Someone please call Ripley..... Xyun just made 2 statements in a row that I agreed with.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Who's offended? It's just plain old retarded and illogical. Chest thumping load of old twat imo.
To invest even one iota of caring into the term is ludicrous.
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

I would just like to say I am European, and I am completely fine with them calling it the world championship.
Fortune favors the brave!
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

The GTA Coke commercial wasn't a new superbowl spot, I've seen it before.

The best commercial was the doritos one with the car crash (it's like something I would do while gawking at some chick)

2nd best was the fedex "mr. turkeyneck" one.

3rd... rock paper scissors... though its kinda similar to last years cell phone commercial 'theft deterrant'.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

There is a European NFL if I remember correct.
Fuck Michigan!
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Yes, but it's an NFL feeder league.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

it's perfectly acceptable to call the super bowl champ the world champ. You could have issue with the world series champ (although not much) or the stanley cup champ stating that they're the world champ, but w/ football, it's not even a question.

As far as the game goes, it was boring as shit. manning was obviously awsome as he was calling out all of the looks the bears were giving him. He obviously did his homework but the game just plodded on. it's obvious that Prince and Ponce de Leon are best buddies

As far as the commercials go, I wouldn't know as it seemed CBS left at least 50% of the advertising on the table and were forced to self promote their tv lineup ad nauseum. After midway through the first quarter I flipped to the Man U. vs. Tottenham thrashing from earlier that day. Sorry, I just don't care about survivor 17, three men and a baby, or csi: peoria
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Chidoro wrote:Sorry, I just don't care about survivor 17, three men and a baby, or csi: peoria
Preach it, Brother~
- Ash
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

Chidoro wrote:it's perfectly acceptable to call the super bowl champ the world champ. You could have issue with the world series champ (although not much) or the stanley cup champ stating that they're the world champ, but w/ football, it's not even a question.
Of course it's a fucking question. It's not unreasonable to expect anyone claiming to be World Champion to have to test themselves against other teams from, ya know, THE WORLD i.e. other countries. Anything else is just wanking. Speaking of which, by your definition I'm World Champion of Wanking And Playing Tiddly Winks While Listening To T'Pau.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

list another country and/or league which enlists the talent level playing football as seen in the NFL. Humor everyone here since you are the world champion wanker, and therefore, would obviously know best
Last edited by Chidoro on February 5, 2007, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

name one professional, gridiron football team on the planet that is better than the colts?

i'll give you a hint...

there isn't one.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

vn_Tanc wrote:I'm World Champion of Wanking And Playing Tiddly Winks While Listening To T'Pau.
Congratulations!
- Ash
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

Being a Green Bay fan, I received much pleasure in watching the Bears get their asses handed to them. I actually thought Chicago would be a bit better. They played way too conservatively on defense. You can't do that against Peyton Manning. He will pick you apart. Sending 4 guys to pressure Peyton was just silly. I would have blitzed his ass a hell of a lot more. I don't think he got hit all night and while the Bears didn't give up too many big plays, they gave up all the short stuff.

Grossman just plain sucked. You can blame a little bit on the weather but that center/qb exchange is the first thing you learn. I thought Jones was running it pretty well and they went away from him. Grossman won't/can't win games for you.

I did enjoy watching the special teams play. Hester is a beast. As a football coach myself, I can say that special teams is one of the most exciting parts of the game.
Deward
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

The GTA Coke commercial wasn't a new superbowl spot, I've seen it before.

The best commercial was the doritos one with the car crash (it's like something I would do while gawking at some chick)

2nd best was the fedex "mr. turkeyneck" one.

3rd... rock paper scissors... though its kinda similar to last years cell phone commercial 'theft deterrant'.
GTA Coke commercial is the one we saw when we went to see Smokin Aces.

The Blockbuster mouse one was also funny as hell.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Just as my girlfriend was complaining about all of the CBS TV related ads, I reminded her that it's a common practice (although I don't remember them being so intrusive). I brought up the example of all of the Dancing with the Stars ads during recent games, and a commercial for a regional grocery chain came on as I did this. It was an HEB commercial with Emmitt Smith strutting through the grocery store throwing out dance moves and such through each department. The timing couldn't have been better.
Shashonna
Star Farmer
Star Farmer
XBL Gamertag: Shashonna

Post by Shashonna »

I liked pretty much all of the Bud commercials. The K Fed one made us laugh

http://sports.aol.com/nfl/superbowlads
Shashonna Illumenada
Enchanter Extraordinaire!
Owner of the Snake Stick
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Shashonna wrote:I liked pretty much all of the Bud commercials. The K Fed one made us laugh

http://sports.aol.com/nfl/superbowlads
He even got a job offer from Taco Bell!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

The weird thing about K-fed.......is that with the recent events with him in the commercial poking fun at himself and the fact that he had videos of him banging Britney...and Britney looking horrible and slutting herself up.....K-fed actually appears to have made himself higher in the celebrity rankings than Britney. Can this be? Manning wins a Super Bowl and K-fed is accepted as not a complete idiot all in the same year?
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Chidoro wrote:list another country and/or league which enlists the talent level playing football as seen in the NFL.
There is no doubt that they are the best American Football team. It is just.. silly.. to call yourself World Champions in a sport that:

A. Is pretty much only played in one country

and

B. You only played against teams from your own country.

All other countries use "National Champions" for a reason heh. Btw, how has the US done it in national competitions in baseball and basketball lately? Last I heard they still called the Heat World Champions..
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

masteen wrote:Prince played electric guitar on a giant neon light fixture in the pouring South Florida rain. He fucking rocked that joint.
He gained about 500 points of awesome in my personal book of... awesome points.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Some of you foreigners bitch about the stupidest things.

You need to look at the big picture and start with Mr Universe, Miss Universe and Bellydancer of The Universe before lamenting on a sports organization for calling themselves World Champions.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

the best players in the world play in the NBA and Major League Baseball.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Spang wrote:the best players in the world play in the NBA and Major League Baseball.
Yeah, and didn't the players from those leagues play for their home countries in competitions against the US team?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

yes, but if the best players from all over the world play in the same league, the best team of that league is the world champion.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Spang wrote:yes, but if the best players from all over the world play in the same league, the best team of that league is the world champion.
I was agreeing with you in the first quote ;)
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

my bad! :oops:
Al
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Al »

Kelshara wrote:
Chidoro wrote:list another country and/or league which enlists the talent level playing football as seen in the NFL.
There is no doubt that they are the best American Football team. It is just.. silly.. to call yourself World Champions in a sport that:

A. Is pretty much only played in one country

and

B. You only played against teams from your own country.

All other countries use "National Champions" for a reason heh. Btw, how has the US done it in national competitions in baseball and basketball lately? Last I heard they still called the Heat World Champions..
I propose we have a World Championship Football Tournament. It will be a tournament where the best football team from each of the leagues in the world play each other to determine the true "World Champion". We could have the big Europe-Asia rivalry, followed by the much anticipated Australia-South America game. Hell, even Antarctica has as much of a football team as all of those other areas of the world combined (at least as far as scale of talent). The only thing that would be more of a proof of world dominance would be a CFL-NFL championship. That game would end 12-104 even if Oakland was representing the NFL. Arguing that the best football team in the world isn't the world champion just because they didn't play someone from everywhere in the world is stupid.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

The only thing that would be more of a proof of world dominance would be a CFL-NFL championship. That game would end 12-104 even if Oakland was representing the NFL.
I think it would be cool to see a CFL team play an NFL team.

Depending on which ruleset was used, I think the results might be surprising.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Giving the speedsters that the NFL has a bigger and wider field would be so completely unfair. Defenses can't contain LT and LJ as it is, much less if you give them an extra couple yards on each side of the field.

There is no way ANY defense could keep up with a guy like Chad Johnson if he were allowed to not just be in motion, but in motion TOWARDS the line of scrimmage before the snap.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Some of you foreigners bitch about the stupidest things.
Seriously.

It doesn't make sense to call the NBA champion or the MLB champion the 'world champion' because there are actually international competitions in basketball and baseball. There is no international tournament in football because NO ONE ELSE PLAYS IT. Is it kind of a silly thing to call yourself when no one else plays? Sure. That's why they're generally referred to as the Super Bowl champions. But it doesn't mean that occasional use of the term 'world champions' is incorrect or arrogant or a demonstration of American hubris.
I think it would be cool to see a CFL team play an NFL team.

Depending on which ruleset was used, I think the results might be surprising.
That's absurd. I'm sure if you threw an NFL team blindly into a different ruleset, it would negatively affect their performance to some extent. Give them a few months to practice that ruleset and they would stomp the holy fuck out of whatever CFL team you want to throw against them. It's like claiming that UFlorida basketball could beat the Boston Celtics: It betrays a fundamental ignorance of the sport.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I'm not gonna touch the World Champion argument.

But did anyone else catch what the Commish said as he handed the trophy to the Colts' owner? "This trophy represents the greatest achievement in team sports."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8M32nFfiV8

Seriously? So winning the Super Bowl is superior to winning the Commissioner's Trophy (World Series), Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy (NBA), or the Stanley Cup, the FIFA World Cup Trophy? Not to mention all the other cups/trophies for all the other premiere leagues of team sports around the world.

And for those of you who enjoyed Prince as much as I did. Here's a clip from him at the pregame press conference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a1AegGKjY0

"Contrary to rumor, umm...I'd like to take a few questions right now." :lol:
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Truant wrote:So winning the Super Bowl is superior to winning the Commissioner's Trophy (World Series)
They still have professional baseball?

Do people still attend the games?
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Aha so it isn't just me!

Scientific Research proves this years Ads missed the mark!

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Super Bowl ads, which cost $85,000 per second during this year's game, fumbled overall as they failed to connect with viewers or just scared them, according to researchers who tracked people's brain activity.

More here...
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Prince definately kicked ass last night. I thought it was actually one of the best performances to date. Finishing off with Purple Rain was quite fitting too.
Fuck Michigan!
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

That's absurd. I'm sure if you threw an NFL team blindly into a different ruleset, it would negatively affect their performance to some extent. Give them a few months to practice that ruleset and they would stomp the holy fuck out of whatever CFL team you want to throw against them. It's like claiming that UFlorida basketball could beat the Boston Celtics: It betrays a fundamental ignorance of the sport.
Actually you're betraying ignorance of the sport, Sueven. Most CFL player are US college players that there wasn;t room for in NFL. The average player in the NFL isn't that far superior to the CFL player: the difference is in the stars of the leagues... and even the stars performances depend on their style of play compared to the rulesets. As for the comments about speed: the CFL is all about speed and mobility; its less about size than the NFL, because you have to be fast to take advantage of (or provide coverage for) the larger field. The CFL is maneuver vs the NFLs head-on confrontation.

I'm not disputing that a CFL/NFL all star or championship game would be a lopsided affair or that the Superbowl IS (realistically if not in the total utopian sense) the world championship for the sport, but when you look at some of the players that have played in both leagues, you shouldn't look down your nose too far. The best recievers, corners and linebackers invariably go to the NFL a) where the players are going to earn more and b) where they are most likely going to be playing closer to home... but again a rough camp or a less well-known name can be all the difference between playing for the Jets in New York or the Blue Bombers in Winnepeg (and yes I would pit this years BC Lions against Detroit).
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Truant wrote: Seriously? So winning the Super Bowl is superior to winning the Commissioner's Trophy (World Series), Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy (NBA), or the Stanley Cup, the FIFA World Cup Trophy? Not to mention all the other cups/trophies for all the other premiere leagues of team sports around the world.

Yes.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

I saw prince 3 years ago in oklahoma city. Got 4th row seats from a scalper at a bargain since we were the last ones and willing to sit in nosebleeds.

i was rolling as well.

Great nite.
Al
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Al »

You could have been watching Barney on Ice and had a good time while rolling.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Ricky Williams who was recently one of the premiere running backs in the NFL played in the CFL this season. He was horrible and completely ineffective.

Then you have players like Warren Moon who had an above average career in the CFL who went on to break pretty much every passing record in the NFL.

If you have ever watched the CFL you'd realise that the athletcism of it's players is on par with the NFL.

Giving the speedsters that the NFL has a bigger and wider field would be so completely unfair. Defenses can't contain LT and LJ as it is, much less if you give them an extra couple yards on each side of the field.
CFL defenses are far more mobile. The 350 lb+ linemen in the NFL that create a wall of meat on the line of scrimmage aren't effective in the CFL because they line up with a yard inbetween. They actually have room to outmanouvre and break through.

Just because american teams are good at the american version of a sport does not mean they are the best in the world.

Case in point: International basketball.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z