So, where do you stand on earwax?

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

So, where do you stand on earwax?

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

I hate it. Right now it's blocking off my hearing on my left ear, and the entire world has taken on a surreal half-silence that's pissing me the fuck off; I have a job interview coming up where my auditive awareness is paramount, and right now? I CAN'T HEAR SHIT.

I blame Swedes. And Norwegians.

But especially Swedes.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Well, the folks over the bridge certainly are a part of this. However, a good swabbing can't hurt--just don't delve to deep, eh?
en kærlighed småkager
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

I've heard of candles you can put in your ear that draw that shit right up on out of there. Was a friends mother who was all into that holistic shit, so may want to check that out!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Dregor Thule wrote:I've heard of candles you can put in your ear that draw that shit right up on out of there. Was a friends mother who was all into that holistic shit, so may want to check that out!
My mom, who's into the whole holistic healing thing had some of these candles.

The thing works by placing it into your hear and lighting one end of it on fire. The fire burns the air in the candle and creates a void that suctions out the wax from the ear. It will clean out the ear but I don't think it will remove a clog. You'll have to talk to a doctor about that one.

*edit* Forgot the link
http://www.naturallydirect.net/ear-candle.htm
Last edited by Animalor on January 30, 2007, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Q-Tips!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I can just picture Drolgin going into the interview with the hair singed off of half of his head due to attempting the candle method...
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

This thread should have been a funny poll.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

you are describing the symptoms of someone who has been impregnated by a South African ear-wasp
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Hydrogen Peroxide, Warm water and an irrigation bulb, and a really good friend. Plenty of clean washcloths.

Lay your head on the opposite ear, fill the ear canal with Hydrogen Peroxide and let it bubble until it stops. Surround ear with a wash cloth. Get your friend to fill the bulb witrh warm water and shoot the water into the ear canal firmly, not as hard as they can squeeze. The reason you get a friend to do this is because you will often lose balance severely...you can do it yourself but be laying down totally because you may well fall.

If this doesn't prove adequate. Make a weak solution of warm water and grease cutting dish soap (1 teaspoon soap to 1/2 liter warm water). Instill in ear and let soak 30 minutes. Flush thoroughly with warm water.

Stay away from QTips they tend to compress the cerumen down the ear canal making matters worse.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Arborealus wrote:The reason you get a friend to do this is because you will often lose balance severely...you can do it yourself but be laying down totally because you may well fall.
No need to have a friend do it if you lie down. I remember having this done as a kid a few times. Hard to forget the bubbly Hydrogen Peroxide in your ear.

I remember our two dogs licking each other's ears as a kid as well. That's also an option if you have a really good friend.
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Winnow wrote:I remember our two dogs licking each other's ears as a kid as well. That's also an option if you have a really good friend.
Cerumen is pretty foul tasting. I'm not sure there are friends that good!
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

tactical nuke on denmark from orbit

only way to be sure
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Or you could go to a doctor and have him suction it all out. That's a pretty fun method too!
Fuck Michigan!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Voronwë wrote:tactical nuke on denmark from orbit

only way to be sure
...but wouldn't that mean the job opening would no longer be available?
Al
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Re: So, where do you stand on earwax?

Post by Al »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote: the entire world has taken on a surreal half-silence that's pissing me the fuck off
I'm half deaf in my right ear. Welcome to my world. :) (Although it isn't half-silence for me, it's half ringing)
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

Have you had a cold lately Drolg?

A lot of "earwax" problems are actually congestion behind the eardrum. I went deaf in one ear once, saw the doctor to have them syringed and they were clean. When home and popped 2x household decongestant head-cold remedy and I could hear again within 3 hours.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Arb wrote: lots of good advice
Tried that (sans the "friend" bit, don't have any!), but no luck.
vn_Tanc wrote:Have you had a cold lately Drolg?

A lot of "earwax" problems are actually congestion behind the eardrum. I went deaf in one ear once, saw the doctor to have them syringed and they were clean. When home and popped 2x household decongestant head-cold remedy and I could hear again within 3 hours.
Haven't really had a cold beyond a wee bit of a sniffle, but... you never know. I doubt it though, as in the past 24 hours I've actually had two situations where I've been able to hear! just for 4 minutes though, then I felt something pop or shift and it was back to this. Doctors appointment friday and I'm hoping he'll fix it. If not, I'll...I dunno, whine some more.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:
Arb wrote: lots of good advice
Tried that (sans the "friend" bit, don't have any!), but no luck.
vn_Tanc wrote:Have you had a cold lately Drolg?

Haven't really had a cold beyond a wee bit of a sniffle, but... you never know. I doubt it though, as in the past 24 hours I've actually had two situations where I've been able to hear! just for 4 minutes though, then I felt something pop or shift and it was back to this. Doctors appointment friday and I'm hoping he'll fix it. If not, I'll...I dunno, whine some more.
Sounds like congestion in your Eustachian tubes more than wax. Drink tons of peppermint tea and inhale the menthol steam through your nose. Also spend some time in a steamy shower yawning. Yawns are great for opening the Eustachian tubes. Also try dropping your lower jaw and wiggling it side to side independent of the upper jaw.
Phuggs
No Stars!

Post by Phuggs »

this is a yearly issue with me. Thanks to my geenes I have the earwax that is like cement, DRY and rough. No matter how many Q-Tips used it still accumilates. The peroxide and water is great. You may need to do this a few times to get the clog taken care of.
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:(sans the "friend" bit, don't have any!)
I'll be your friend! <3
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

Norman loves earwax. He'd help you out with your problem :D
<--
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

http://www.earclear.com/

This is one of the best products you will ever buy.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I used to use hot wet washcloths, or a heatpad against the ear, with that ear facing down.

I don't know if it actually helped, but it seemed to. Combination of moisture and heat would seem to loosen it up in my headbrain.

If you want, I'll rock it out for you. :vv_jam2:
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

keep in mind that he took my advice.

im just saying
Fuck Michigan!
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

danes are always going to doctors, what with their universal health care and all.
Markulas
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Markulas »

I'm For 'em!
I'm going to live forever or die trying
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

kyoukan wrote:http://www.earclear.com/

Um $70 for a frickin syringe...granted it is one hell of a big one but Vet supply stores are way cheaper...:)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Arborealus wrote:
kyoukan wrote:http://www.earclear.com/

Um $70 for a frickin syringe...granted it is one hell of a big one but Vet supply stores are way cheaper...:)
For that price they could have at least sprung for an ear model with less ear hair.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I'm telling you man it is worth every penny. I was completely amazed how well I could hear after using that, and I q-tipped that shit once a week.

It just generally makes you feel cleaner.
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

You know your board members are getting older when an earwax thread gets 29 replies... :lol:
Vaemas
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: BeaverButter

Post by Vaemas »

WTF. I'm not Drolgin's friend? Gonna go cry now. Not that he'll be able to hear me.

Much h8 for Q-Tips.

Especially the South Florida kind that drives a Caddy.
High Chancellor for Single Malt Scotches, Accounting Stuffs and Biffin Greeting.
/tell Biffin 'sup bro!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Need a Q-Tip poll.

I use two Q-Tips every morning after I shower. I dig around deep in both ears at the same time and then deftly flip around the Q-Tips, using the other side to clean the intricate crevices of the outer year.

You can't go cheap and buy the non brand flimsy Q-Tips or they'll bend or break before reaching the pressure levels required to scrape away the wax from the inner ear canal. The cheap imitation Q-Tips also often don't have enough cotton on the ends which results in card plastic scraping your inner ear.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

My doctor told me that Q-Tips are the debil... (for the same reasons Arb stated)

I still use them, but not every single day. This thread is a good reminder that I shold try to avoid using them more. My doctor says its better to clean your ears with a warm wet wash cloth (wrapped around your finger). Problem is, I just see piles of dirty wash cloths for me to wash every week and I am lazy enough about doing laundry.
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Re: So, where do you stand on earwax?

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:I hate it. Right now it's blocking off my hearing on my left ear, and the entire world has taken on a surreal half-silence that's pissing me the fuck off; I have a job interview coming up where my auditive awareness is paramount, and right now? I CAN'T HEAR SHIT.

I blame Swedes. And Norwegians.

But especially Swedes.
go to the doctor and get it washed out.