Post your ideas and problems with the site/board here

Moderator: TheMachine

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

You Tube embed support

Post by Winnow »

Heya,

Any chance of getting this mod installed if it's easy for you to do? There are a ton of good you tube videos that would work great embedded within posts instead of having to open another page to view them.

The videos don't automatically start so it wouldn't be annoying as you have to hit play to start them but providing an embedded version instead of linked would be nice:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=375183

from what I gather, if that mod is installed, you would just need to use the following to embed a You Tube video:

That may be too easy, this may be how you embed you tube and google videos after the mod is in place:

http://iowaunderground.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5639

still, not too bad!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

How will that react if youtube is blocked? Just red X's?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:How will that react if youtube is blocked? Just red X's?
Yeah, nothing bad. I'm not sure many people scroll this far down on the front page to see new messages here!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

*bump!*

Has a mod taken a look at this? Is it a difficult add-in?
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I've seen this thread, but haven't looked at the mod. I have other things that I need to do to the board that are higher on my list of priorities, and I haven't gotten around to them yet.

I'll think about adding YouTube, but it's of very low priority for me, seeing how I can't even access YouTube from my primary place of using the boards. It's not that hard to just have a link to youtube that people can click on, then they don't have additional bandwidth overhead when browsing threads.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sounds good. I don't think there's any additional bandwidth overhead unless there's precaching.

Was just a suggestion for an evolutionary step kind of thing, sort of like when images were able to be embedded in posts.

Here's an embedded Youtube. It looks like caching doesn't start until you hit the play button.

Probably not the best example to show you because it's from a Michigan State University board!

http://www.msutriathlon.com/messageboar ... c218646094
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

screw that, there's too many posts with little more than utube links here as it is, don't force it down our throats by having some shit spawn in the message when we just click on the thread without some sort of warning
- Ash
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ashur wrote:screw that, there's too many posts with little more than utube links here as it is, don't force it down our throats by having some shit spawn in the message when we just click on the thread without some sort of warning
nothing spawns. jesus, did you even read this thread? A placeholder for the video is all you see unless you hit play. Click on the example in the post above yours. Did your web browser explode? Nope!

Nm, this will eventually turn up a year from now. Just trying to relate what I've seen work well without the paranoia on other boards and make things a little more integrated.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

This is an awesome idea.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Nick wrote:This is an awesome idea.
Your best post evah!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:
Nick wrote:This is an awesome idea.
Your best post evah!
It was one that allowed him to take over the board too!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Grumble grumble...

Oh how I hate agreeing with Winnow!
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

fuckers :cry:
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Personally I prefer links and not embedded videos. It's usually too small to be worthwhile and I end up going directly to the site anyway.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

...you realize that you can always click on the embedded video link and do the same thing and those that want to see the video without going anywhere can do so...same thing except those that wish to see the video without opening another tab, etc may do so....same idea behind embedded images which now one has an issue with except the video embed takes less memory and is less intrusive than even embedded images as nothing happens until you actually hit play.

go here:

click anywhere on the embedded video except the play button in the center and off you go!

that particular video isn't available anymore but demonstrates how it works.
Last edited by Winnow on May 25, 2007, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I would prefer links as well! Too many embedded YouTube videos could start flagging this site for banination by my employer!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Exactly what Boogahz said. A url link on a page doesn't get flagged by websense as me trying to visit a banned site. A YouTube embedded video does.

I'm not going to be too upset if Py decides he wants to install this mod, but I'm probably not going to do it, as it will only set me up for getting myself in trouble.

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:I would prefer links as well! Too many embedded YouTube videos could start flagging this site for banination by my employer!
nothing happens until you click the link. your employer doesn't count links to you tube?
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Embedded youtube videos download a preview image from youtube.com. Every page that contains an embedded video shows up as an attempt to visit youtube.

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

good lord, nm.

We should probably do away with avatars and disable embedded images as well. The smileys may be a resource hog.

go ahead and delete this request.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Sylvus wrote:Embedded youtube videos download a preview image from youtube.com. Every page that contains an embedded video shows up as an attempt to visit youtube.
:vv_yeahthat:
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:
Sylvus wrote:Embedded youtube videos download a preview image from youtube.com. Every page that contains an embedded video shows up as an attempt to visit youtube.
:vv_yeahthat:
so when someone embeds an image that's of a flower but it's from a restricted websense site, it doesn't hurt the IT department's feelings?

What's going on with this embedded youtube then where the video doesn't even exist anymore but you see an image?

I can see if there's a way to embed the placeholder without displaying an image or accessing youtube until you hit play (blank embedded placeholder)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

on a funny note:

type:

embed youtube placeholder phpbb

into google search and my veeshanvault post is #4 result : )
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Does that mean you're now an expert? :P
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It means I thought it might be cool to post a suggestion to our Site/Board Development forum once every six months!

Not a lot of activity goes on down here in this forum so I figured I'd give a little suggestion a try every six months or so! There's only like two people that can actually make changes on this board so all the rest of us can do is suggest things that might make the board more entertaining, user friendly, etc and discuss them. It all depends on how much time sylvus and py want/have to invest in enhancing the board. No harm in suggesting things. I'd be happy to help.

[youtube]have a good weekend[/youtube]

I'm cool with the responses. There seem to be a ton of blogs, (gizmodo, etc) that have embedded youtube videos in them these days. I can't believe they're all websensed for simply having an embedded youtube. I surf at work sometimes directly with websense active and I can see the embedded youtube placeholders on blogs I visit, I just can't access them.

Booger, what do you see when you access this page?

Do you see the placeholder or do you get a red X?

(the video doesn't exists anymore but I can see the placeholder and image)

Is websense going nuts because you visit Gizmodo?

http://www.gizmodo.com/

how about John Dvorak's Blog?

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/

He's a "legend" in the PC world. Is that site websensed for his embedded youtube videos? Tons and tons of tech sites which websense doesn't block have links to youtube videos.

The movie blog is another popular site with embedded youtube:

http://www.themovieblog.com/
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:Booger, what do you see when you access this page?...
I will have to let you know next week...I left early for the weekend :P
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re:

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote: Booger, what do you see when you access this page?

Do you see the placeholder or do you get a red X?

(the video doesn't exists anymore but I can see the placeholder and image)

Thread no longer exists, so unable to see what you were referring to.
Winnow wrote: Is websense going nuts because you visit Gizmodo?

http://www.gizmodo.com/

how about John Dvorak's Blog?

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/

He's a "legend" in the PC world. Is that site websensed for his embedded youtube videos? Tons and tons of tech sites which websense doesn't block have links to youtube videos.
I don't visit either site from work. I checked just now and there are huge blank areas with a white background where I would assume the videos were. I have a nice "Access Denied" block when I try to click in those areas.

I honestly don't see what the actual benefit is to having this feature. One frame doesn't tell me anything about what video I am about to see. Generally, I will click on the link and read the description and a couple comments before actually watching a YouTube video since I cannot get that time back in my life if it is as bad as most of them are.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Re:

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:
I honestly don't see what the actual benefit is to having this feature. One frame doesn't tell me anything about what video I am about to see. Generally, I will click on the link and read the description and a couple comments before actually watching a YouTube video since I cannot get that time back in my life if it is as bad as most of them are.
I believe the YouTube tag uses the flash on VV so it won't access the site. Need to test it though to be sure. A placeholder isn't a big deal. I can make one of those up with the flash tag and no url at all.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Re:

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
Boogahz wrote:
I believe the YouTube tag uses the flash on VV so it won't access the site. Need to test it though to be sure. A placeholder isn't a big deal. I can make one of those up with the flash tag and no url at all.
How about addressing the main point of his quote: I honestly don't see what the actual benefit is to having this feature.

Honestly, I bet only a handful of people actually want it, two handfuls of people who don't and the rest of the board doesn't give a shit either way.

A placeholder, while not being a big deal to you (since you don't obviously see it) is annoying to those who do. I don't need a big fucking white box in my browser when a simple link accomplishes the same thing only in a more compact fashion.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Re: You Tube embed support

Post by Fash »

I don't like it because if all you get is a white box, you don't even get a chance to click the link... there is no link. Lame.

Enough of this embedded crap, unless we put together a full solution where you see the embedded version or a text link depending on your preference.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fash wrote:I don't like it because if all you get is a white box, you don't even get a chance to click the link... there is no link. Lame.

Enough of this embedded crap, unless we put together a full solution where you see the embedded version or a text link depending on your preference.

There may be a way to link the box, like you link to a site using BBCode for an image.

Maybe a flash based spoiler tag? If flash disabled, it's automatically spoilered or something.

You're the one that wanted to do something custom! (you could make your mark in the phpBB community!)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I think you are fighting a losing battle winnow :(

I personally think that when I go to a site and there are youtube videos plastered all over it, it makes the site look junky. It also seems like this leads to more cookie requests (which annoys the piss out of me). That being said, I couldn't give a shit either way, lets just come to some kind of decision!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's the same principle as embedded images.

I used to hate it when all we had were links to images on VeeshanVault. It blew. Being able to reference the image within the discussion thread makes for a much better experience. It's the same deal with videos. Whoever is bitching about the first frame loading on a video must not understand that it's the same thing as an embedded image loading. I understand the whining about YouTube server hits but don't see an issue with a placeholder for those that have flash turned off. I already made the point that embedded images can come from any source (banned sites) and no one complains, while at least YouTube is a single source that serves the entire spectrum of videos from educational/tech, to music videos. It's all coming from the same source...whether it's banned of not, any IT department is bound to comprehend that YouTube is huge and used on legitimate sites as well as your normal music videos, etc. A hit to You Tube is not a death sentence. Anyways, the placeholder even avoids that small "hit" that people are concerned with so what you're left with is an embedded YouTube video with the first frame image (working much like any image (images always load on normal pictures and no one complains) and the opportunity to view the video from within the thread.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Here's the thing Winnow.

1. There are people who legitimately do NOT want embedded videos, whether because they think it's ugly or worried about network security or whatever.

2. It would take work for an admin to set up embedded videos.

3. It's an incredibly minor issue-- you have to click the same amount of times to watch a video, whether it's embedded or not.

4. It's not like VV is this technological dinosaur... there are plenty of other message boards that don't permit embedded video.

So can you just shut the fuck up and drop it? No? OK.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sueven wrote:Here's the thing Winnow.

1. There are people who legitimately do NOT want embedded videos, whether because they think it's ugly or worried about network security or whatever.

2. It would take work for an admin to set up embedded videos.

3. It's an incredibly minor issue-- you have to click the same amount of times to watch a video, whether it's embedded or not.

So can you just shut the fuck up and drop it? No? OK.

1. The reason for not wanting them is for work security which has been avoided by turing of flash which people should do anyway at work. With that solved, there's people that legitimately (whatever qualifies as that) want embedded videos as well.

2. It doesn't take much work, almost none, to add that code.

3. It's a minor issue yes. Are there major issues discussed on this board besides poor server performance which impacts the board? None of it matters in the long run so what's your point?
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

My point is that you're fighting a losing crusade, and since it's a crusade that no-one on your side gives a shit about besides you (and I don't think anyone understands why even you give a shit), it might save you hassle to stop fighting it. But you can keep being ignored as long as you like, if that's what you'd prefer.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'll settle for being able to embed YouTubes in YouTube threads without people having a fucking cow over it.

A couple years from now, we'll revisit the embedded video discussion and see that it's just as common as embedded images are today. I wanted embedded images before they became a standard thing as well.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I don't want it because then we'll have a bunch of threads where winnow shits all over them with a new toy.

I already pretty much avoid any thread that he posts pictures into. I would prefer if embedding pictures would restrict size to a viewable thumb or something, because his dozens of large pictures in a single post totally fucks up browsing for me. And I'm not interested in seeing any of the pictures anyways.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Winnow wrote:I'll settle for being able to embed YouTubes in YouTube threads without people having a fucking cow over it.
This isn't a fucking negotiation. The admins run VV and thus far don't appear interested in helping you out. I don't think you get to 'settle' for anything beyond what they want to do.
Winnow wrote:A couple years from now, we'll revisit the embedded video discussion and see that it's just as common as embedded images are today. I wanted embedded images before they became a standard thing as well.
Great, congratulations on being so ahead of the times.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Truant wrote:I don't want it because then we'll have a bunch of threads where winnow shits all over them with a new toy.

I already pretty much avoid any thread that he posts pictures into. I would prefer if embedding pictures would restrict size to a viewable thumb or something, because his dozens of large pictures in a single post totally fucks up browsing for me. And I'm not interested in seeing any of the pictures anyways.

Give me some examples you full of shit ass hat. I can think one or two where I posted an article which was formatted on a page as an image.

The Comic and Image forums are the only forums I post larger sized images in and even then I limit the comics images to 1000 pixels in height. Otherwise, if at all possible, I make sure images are viewable on computers that can display 1024 pixel in width which should be 99% of the people here.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sueven wrote:
Great, congratulations on being so ahead of the times.
Thanks.