The Official PS3 thread!

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: The Official PS3 thread!

Post by Fairweather Pure »

When was the last time that I was forced to go through the painfully tedious process of updating where it actually added something that benefitted me? It seems like everytime I turn my PS3 in there is an update.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

That's all due to the jailbreak. People have found a way to downgrade from 3.50 (and also get online I believe) so they came out with 3.55 to try and remedy that.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:That's all due to the jailbreak. People have found a way to downgrade from 3.50 (and also get online I believe) so they came out with 3.55 to try and remedy that.
The recent update may have been due to the jailbreak but I've been complaining about PS3 updates since the early days. I couldn't turn on my PS3 without getting another update. Their planning and update system sucks compared to Microsoft's. It's just one more thing to add to the pile of why the 360 is better than the PS3.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Haha, you guys are fucking retarded.
the painfully tedious process of updating
Get a mesage that there's an update available... select 'yes' to the updtae, agree to the EULA.. walk away from the PS3 for 5 minutes, come back and it's finished.
Soooooo fucking painfully tedious. :roll:

I've been complaining about PS3 updates since the early days. I couldn't turn on my PS3 without getting another update.
That's because you connect it to PSN maybe twice a year.
There has been exactly ONE update in the past 3 months.
I don't think there's even been more than 5-6 updates this year and that includes the updates for PS Move and 3D Bluray.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote: walk away from the PS3 for 5 minutes, come back and it's finished.
Close. I selected the download and then switched over to xbox and never went back to the PS3!

It's looking like the PS3 is going to unleash a hell of a lot of great exclusive games in 2011 (a hell of a lot more then the 360 at this point!) so I'm totally on board despite all the little issues I have with the system.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I've got two updates in the last couple months. They always take me 30-60 minutes, I think these were both like 40 minutes.

I'm not complaining, cause it doesn't really bother me, just sayin.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

3.50 was at the beginning of Sept and 3.55 was last week.
They are only like 150 megs.. they download for me in a minute or two and usually take no more than 5-10 to install.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah they always take much longer for me, not sure why I guess. I have my 360 set up wireless as well and it never takes more than 5 minutes total to update.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Ok. Here is an example of my PS3 frustrations.

I wanted the Paranormal table for Zen Pinball. I fire up Zen Pinball to access available DLC. It boots me out of the game and puts me in the PS Store, great. I buy the table and DL it in the background (it's only 48mb). I go back and fire up Zen Pinball again. The table completes DLing just as I'm done loading Zen Pinball. I then have to leave the game, again, to install the goddamn table. I then fire up Zen Pinball again to play it.

This is all a single step on xbl.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Ok. Here is an example of my PS3 frustrations.

I wanted the Paranormal table for Zen Pinball. I fire up Zen Pinball to access available DLC. It boots me out of the game and puts me in the PS Store, great. I buy the table and DL it in the background (it's only 48mb). I go back and fire up Zen Pinball again. The table completes DLing just as I'm done loading Zen Pinball. I then have to leave the game, again, to install the goddamn table. I then fire up Zen Pinball again to play it.

Yep! PS3 Sucks. The online experience is horrible.

More to the point, have you topped any of my Pinball scores yet on the 360?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Ok. Here is an example of my PS3 frustrations.

Just go to the PSN store first to get the DLC.
It's not frustrating at all, just different.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If by that you mean different = worse...how is not being able to buy from within a game better? It's tedious and in no way better.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:It's tedious and in no way better.
You need to learn how to fucking read.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
Winnow wrote:It's tedious and in no way better.
You need to learn how to fucking read.

If Zen is put together anywhere near as well as Pinball FX (I know, same company) The first time you are aware of new tables is from within the game itself. Exiting the game to go buy is always going to be a worse way of doing things than just clicking on the new table from within the game and buying it or the set.

Sony thinks it's better to go outside and pay the pimp instead of paying the hooker right in front of you.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Oh boo fucking hoo, you need to push a few extra buttons.
How do you two cope with life if such a trivial thing like this bothers you so much.

You little whiners need to grow a pair.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Don't forget that with the 360, you can buy and queue for download any DLC your heart desires... without even turning the 360 on.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:If Zen is put together anywhere near as well as Pinball FX (I know, same company) The first time you are aware of new tables is from within the game itself. Exiting the game to go buy is always going to be a worse way of doing things than just clicking on the new table from within the game and buying it or the set.
You might like to know... That for some reason on the PS3 Marvel Pinball is a standalone game rather than being add-on tables for Zen Pinball. This makes the 360 version vastly superior!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's a chart that will get Miir all excited:

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I thought piracy killed gaming on the PC? Sure seems to be a lot of PC games still coming out.

No 360 exclusives I care about. About 3-4 PS3s games I'll more than likely get though.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I was talking about this with a friend just last night. PS3 is killing it with exclusives while Wii is as "meh" as ever IMO. However, MS recently said something cryptic along the lines of "We haven't showed our cards yet". Some people think it's PR bullshit, others think they may actually have a few aces up their sleeve. The PR talk did what it wanted in that people are talking about MS's lineup again. I see the strength of the 360 in it's xbl lineup this year, which looks great. PSN has some great games coming down the pipe too.

Overall, being a 3 system owner (PC/360/PS3) is still the very best of all things. Honestly, I could go without buying a single game this year and still have plenty to play based just off my backlog!

I think 2011 will be even better than 2010 overall.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:However, MS recently said something cryptic along the lines of "We haven't showed our cards yet". Some people think it's PR bullshit, others think they may actually have a few aces up their sleeve.
Microsoft does hold onto some exclusives until E3. That's been proven over the years so there's more coming...plus, this list doesn't list the Kinect titles like the Star Wars Kinect thingy coming out. (Move titles aren't listed either but they will suck!)

Either way, PS3 at least looks to be making an effort this year.

Wii Sucks. "All games are better...if they're not on a Wii"

PC still rocks
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

So I was going to ask for recommendations for must-have PS3 titles since I'll be getting a bit of cash, but reading through the last 6-8 pages of this thread has made me despair. What a load of lame-ass trolling he-said-she-said no-you-are bullshit!
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Go to Metacritic, select PS3 games, look at the top 10-15 scoring games and there is your list. Filter out genres that don't appeal to you. Uncharted 1 and 2, Little Big Planet, God of War 3 etc...

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Not that I endorse the PS3 (some might even say I don't like it much!)

This looks like a good deal:

PS3 320GB Entertainment System $429.99
w/ PS Move Starter Bundle, 2nd Dualshock 3 Controller, God of War I & II Collection, & Killzone 3

If I was in the market for a PS3, that would be an attractive starter bundle to me.

Hack sites saying Sony's making room for a "hack proof" new PS3.

I've been playing Hyperdimension Neptunia recently on the PS3 and can confirm that the dual shock controllers feel as ancient as they look in that picture. Sony really needs to get their act together on their next console and come out with a decent controller that doesn't torture the hands and actually has some thought about the ergonomics to it.

You know...

this used to be a nice controller as well back in it's day...but times have changed!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Not everyone has giant mongoloid hands like you.
The PS3 controller is pretty damn good for those of us with normal sized hands.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The only thing wrong with the PS3 controllers IMO is that they're too light. Oh, and the goddamn triggers. Those 5$ addons make the triggers just fine though, but Sony should just work them into the design if they make a PS4. Other than that, after playing with them for 5 minutes I adjust fine and don't really notice. It's always nice going back to the xbox controller though. I wouldn't change a thing about it's design.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Take a close look at a gun trigger:

Now take a look at the PS3 trigger:

And the 360 controller:

Sony likes to keep their controllers antiquated and yet for the only part, the trigger, which has been the same since the dawn of gunpowder, they felt the need to change and reverse it so your fingers slip off.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Lay of the greasy snacks while you're playing and your fingers will sit fine on them... unless you're just a fat slob who gets all sweaty playing videogames... I can't help you with that.

Or like Fair said, if you really have that much of an issue with them, drop the $2 to get the clip on triggers... and stop being such a whiny little bitch.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

You've got to buy little clip-ons to make a controller work right?

How come PS3 controllers feel so cheap and "creak"? Is it because I have one of the lame ass non rumble versions that Sony forced on early adopters because Sony...yes, another bad decision...thought people wouldn't want rumble, making it feel even lighter and cheaper than a standard issue rumble enabled version?
I could go on... the PS controller was a mis-sharpen SNES controller with extra shoulder buttons (basically they wanted the SNES controller but had to make it different enough to avoid copywrite infringment). When Nintendo and Sega announced the inclusion of an analog stick and a rumble motor Sony jumped on board by simply shoving analog sticks on the controller wherever they'd fit... and in typical Sony "anything you can do I can do better" fashion they put 2 sticks and 2 motors instead of one (or perhaps they did it to keep with the controller's symmetrical design, take your pick).

This is not how you make a worth while product, playing "me-too" games and shoving important features wherever you have space left would earn you a Failing grade at any industrial design school worth the paper their degrees are printed on.

I've found that most people who "like" the PS controller design are just people who have been using it for so long that their hands have adapted to it instead of Sony adapting to human hands.

Find someone who doesn't play video games, hand them both a 360 controller and a PS2 controller and ask them which one they prefer, you'd be hard-pressed to find a substantial group of people who pick the PS2 controller. There's a reason the 360 controller has won awards and the stagnant PS controller design hasn't won jack since it's inception in 1995.

At a glance yes the PS2 controller is remarkably similar to the Xbox controller, but it's the subtle differences that separate a good controller design from a bad one.
Sony continued adding to their lame design by throwing on super poorly designed triggers. It's a cheap pile of shit controller. The other, incredibly retarded, thing is having to keep your PS3 turned on to recharge your controller. Why didn't those fuck nuts have a low power option o charge controllers? It's not like you can play with the 3 inch cord provided so you end up wasting energy keeping your entire PS3 powered up to charge a simple controller.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

u've got to buy little clip-ons to make a controller work right?
No, you need to buy little clip-ons to make whiny little babies stop crying about the PS3 controller. :vv_baby:

For everyone else who isn't a whiny little baby... they either like the controller, bought a 3rd party controller or spent $2 on 2 pieces of plastic.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

As for the 360 controller.. it's pretty good but the D-Pad is an abomination.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I really don't like the PS3 triggers, either. For a long time I was using the L1/R1 buttons to shoot/zoom in Killzone because I dislike them so much. I'll have to try the clip things, I didn't know they made such a thing.

I love the 360 controller, I've heard that about the D Pad before, but I'm not sure what's wrong with the D Pad. Those buttons are typically used little if at all in most games, so I guess it just doesn't matter to me anyhow.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The 360 controller D-Pad does not have well defined directions.
When you hit up, you might get Up+Left or Up+Right.
This inaccuracy makes it unuseable for fighting games.

As for the PS3 triggers/trigger extenders, you can order them from any random Hong Kong online retailers for like 2-3 dollars. Or if you want them today, you can run down to ebgames/gamestop and overpay for them. I like the triggers for shooters but for racing games I take them off.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/accessories ... gers/89349
http://www.eachgame.com/goods-2781.html
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

waitaminnit....weren't you the one laughing at the need for addons for other controllers? wii or iphone or something? Those were made to allow the controller to perform an additional function (steering wheel), where the need for triggers are to allow the controller's buttons to do what they SHOULD be doing.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:The 360 controller D-Pad does not have well defined directions.
When you hit up, you might get Up+Left or Up+Right.
This inaccuracy makes it unuseable for fighting games.

As for the PS3 triggers/trigger extenders, you can order them from any random Hong Kong online retailers for like 2-3 dollars. Or if you want them today, you can run down to ebgames/gamestop and overpay for them. I like the triggers for shooters but for racing games I take them off.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/accessories ... gers/89349
http://www.eachgame.com/goods-2781.html
I didn't have issues pulling off moves, etc in Street Fighter. If you're that concerned about fighting games though, it's probably better to invest in a game pad, regardless of system.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

It was those plastic steering wheels that you clip the iphone/pad into.. those are hillarious.

Both the 360 and PS3 controllers have what could be considered some to be a design 'flaw'.
The difference is that the PS3 'flaw' is really just a comfort issue and can be fixed with 2 cheap little bits of plastic.
The 360 'flaw' relates to functionality and to fix it requires you to take apart the controller and sand and carve of bits and replace a membrane inside the controller.

Neither controller is perfect but both are a fuck of a lot better than the Wii. :D
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I thought that complaints about the Xbox Dpad were from a bunch of loonies, but apparently MS saw it as a serious issue and released a controller with an updated Dpad 6 months ago. It must only be an issue with fighting games or something because I have played more xbox games than most people and have never once had an issue with it mainly because the Dpad is regulated to a secondary role on the controller. Then again, if you're seriously trying to play fighting games without an arcade stick, you've already failed.

EDIT:

Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz6aTTKE6hE

It actually sounds cool. I may get one since I need a 4th controller. I'm happy to see a great controller get even better. It's nice to see MS addressing the concerns of their users.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

So you have a $3 fix versus a $60 fix.
if you're seriously trying to play fighting games with a 360 controller, you've already failed
Fixed that for you.

Believe it or not, some people play fighting games casually and don't want to spend $50 to $500 on an arcade stick or pad.
An ordinary PS3 controller is quite competent for fighting games.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

It's nice to see MS addressing the concerns of their users.
Yea, like fixing the D-Pad after 5 years... fixing serious failure rates after 3 years... adding wireless after 4 years... or making it so that you can use any hard drive to upgrade... or lowering the cost of x-box live... or assisting developers like mygamercard.

MS really loves their users!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I thought that complaints about the Xbox Dpad were from a bunch of loonies, but apparently MS saw it as a serious issue and released a controller with an updated Dpad 6 months ago. It must only be an issue with fighting games or something because I have played more xbox games than most people and have never once had an issue with it mainly because the Dpad is regulated to a secondary role on the controller. Then again, if you're seriously trying to play fighting games without an arcade stick, you've already failed.
It was (is) an inaccurate piece of poo. Luckily the few games I played didn't really use it much other than for menu navigation. Burnout Paradise is where I found out how shitty the 360 D-Pad is. Just because you only have to suffer while utilizing the "secondary role" of a controller doesn't mean a problem doesn't exist.

Regardless, I'm not sure what Sony was thinking when they went from the DS2 to the DS3. I don't find them horrendous I just don't know why they seemed to make them less functional than they were.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:So you have a $3 fix versus a $60 fix.
if you're seriously trying to play fighting games with a 360 controller, you've already failed
Fixed that for you.

Believe it or not, some people play fighting games casually and don't want to spend $50 to $500 on an arcade stick or pad.
An ordinary PS3 controller is quite competent for fighting games.
Meh, like I said, I played a fair amount of the newer Street Fighter game on the 360 and had no issues with it doing anything other than what I wanted it to do. Other than that game though, I can't think of any game where the DPad needs to do anything other than up,down,left,right.

I'm also not cheap, and don't expect a one sized fits all solution for all my peripherals on a console. If I want to play fighting games more than a few minutes every month, I'll buy a game pad, knowing full well I probably won't use it after a few months. That's why I was frustrated by the PS3's controller for FPS games, I didn't feel I had other options (I hate third party controllers as a rule of thumb), but with these clips you folks speak of, I've been given renewed hope!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

European customs officers have been ordered to seize shipments of Playstation 3s after LG won a preliminary injunction against Sony in an acrimonious patent battle between the two Asian electronics giants.

The ruling by the civil court of justice in the Hague means that all new PS3s have to be confiscated as they are imported into the UK and the rest of Europe for at least 10 days.

If the injunction was extended it could mean consoles disappearing from high street shelves. It is understood that Sony and computer games retailers typically have about two to three weeks' worth of PS3s in stock across the continent.

Tens of thousands of PS3s were seized by customs officers last week in the Netherlands, the Guardian has learnt, in a dispute that centres on Sony's allegedly infringing use of Blu-ray technology belonging to LG.

Sony, which imports around 100,000 of the consoles a week, is frantically trying to get the ban lifted. The Japanese company has the right to appeal to the European patents office.

LG meanwhile, could apply to the same patents office to get the 10-day import ban extended. Alternatively, the Korean company could apply for a court order to get the consoles destroyed but it is highly unlikely the court would grant a request to eliminate the warehoused goods.

LG argues that Sony PS3s infringe a number of its patents relating to playback of Blu-ray Discs. LG called for an investigation into the PS3's Blu-ray use in a filing with the US international trade commission earlier this month, and said it sought a "permanent exclusion order ... excluding entry into the United States" of the games console.

If Sony is found to have infringed LG patents, it could be forced to compensate the South Korean manufacturer for each PS3 it has sold around the world, which could cost hundreds of millions of pounds.

The two technology giants are involved in a complex web of seven separate patent disputes, with Sony also seeking to block shipments of LG smartphones to the US.

Rotterdam and Schiphol are the main import points for PS3s for both the UK and continental Europe. The consoles are being stockpiled in Dutch warehouses until it becomes clear how the case will develop.

A spokesman for Sony Playstation said: "We are currently looking into this matter, and cannot make any comments at this point in time." LG declined to comment, although sources close to the company confirmed the current legal position.

Sony has sold more than 3m PS3s in the UK since its launch in March 2007. The Japanese manufacturer is understood to have a stockpile of around 6,500 PS3s in Germany and 10,000 in the UK.

However, the majority of PS3 sales around Europe are pre-orders, meaning they are already sold before they gather dust at warehouses in the UK and elsewhere. Stockpiles could run out within two to three weeks if the ban is not lifted, the Guardian understands.
Honestly it couldn't happen to a nicer company. My only hope would that it becomes permanent but I doubt that will happen. I'm sure Sony will write LG a nice big check and it will be business as usual. In the meantime a nice big LOL to Sony. Sucks when someone uses the legal system against you doesn't it?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Aslanna wrote: Honestly it couldn't happen to a nicer company. My only hope would that it becomes permanent but I doubt that will happen. I'm sure Sony will write LG a nice big check and it will be business as usual. In the meantime a nice big LOL to Sony. Sucks when someone uses the legal system against you doesn't it?
Yawn.
How is that even news?
LG has been trying to do the same thing for months in different areas (injunctions failed in the US in Australia).

There's a fuckload of patent disputes between LG and Sony.
Most of them filed by Sony.

A 10 day customs hold means fuck all when there's a 3-4 week warehoused supply.
The 'ban' won't make it past the initial injunciton.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:How is that even news?

How is it not? It's obvious you don't comprehend the meaning of the word "news".
miir wrote:A 10 day customs hold means fuck all when there's a 3-4 week warehoused supply.
The 'ban' won't make it past the initial injunciton.
Maybe it will maybe it wont. I guess if it does that wont be 'news' then either.

Try taking the Sony penis out out your mouth once in awhile so you can get some oxygen to that brain of yours. We don't want you suffering permanent damage!

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:LG has been trying to do the same thing for months in different areas (injunctions failed in the US in Australia).
and they didn't fail in the EU
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Ban lifted, case settled and it looks like LG will have to pay nearly $200k in damages to Sony.

LG Fail.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

miir wrote:Ban lifted, case settled and it looks like LG will have to pay nearly $200k in damages to Sony.

LG Fail.
Last I heard, Sony has just won this round but the patent lawsuits proceeded. The injunction is the only thing settled..

Sony is taking donations through the PSN with 100% of the proceeds going to Earthquake/Tsunami relief. You also get a PS3 theme for your donation.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/03/ ... al-on-psn/

It’s been over a week since the devastating earthquake and tsunami hit Japan, inflicting serious loss of life and leaving hundreds of thousands homeless. The Japanese people, together with support and compassion from the global community, are beginning what will be a long recovery process.

Sony Computer Entertainment’s headquarters are located in Tokyo, and so we’ve heard firsthand of the disaster’s impact from our colleagues and friends. As we here in America watch the tragic events that continue to unfold, you might be left thinking, “Is there any way I can help?”

Sony Group is aiding the recovery through financial contributions and donations of radios, batteries and other equipment that can be used in the relief efforts. Today we’re making it possible for you to contribute directly to the earthquake and tsunami recovery efforts through a medium you’re already quite familiar with – the PlayStation Network.

You can make donations in the amount of $2, $5, $10, $25 and $50 from your wallet in the PlayStation Store. With your donation, you’ll get a free theme for your PlayStation 3. In order to make a donation, go to the “Aid Japan” area under the New Releases category on the PlayStation Store.

It’s important to note that your contributions will go directly to the American Red Cross – Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami Fund. Every penny donated will go to the fund, which supports emergency relief and recovery efforts, including deploying personnel, sending relief supplies and providing financial resources.

Many gamers in particular feel a special bond with Japan, even if they’ve never traveled there personally. Its ingenuity and innovation have shaped our industry, and its culture and style have brought a sense of community across the world.

Please join us now in helping the Japanese people during this great time of need. Together we can have a significant impact on the relief process.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Some strange news out of Sony's latest financial earnings release: sales of the PlayStation 3 are down, while sales of the PlayStation 2 are steady and the PSP is making a late-life comeback!

The release covers the three months between April and June this year. In that time, the PS3 sold 1.8 million units (down from 2.4 million last year), the PSP sold 1.8 million (up from 1.2 million) and the old warhorse, the PS2, sold 1.4 million, only slightly down from the 1.6 million this time last year.

What to make of all that? With the PlayStation Vita on the way, the PSP is almost on clearance, making it a great time to grab one for new customers (it's also still going strong in its native Japan). The PS2, despite being over a decade old, is still a handy purchase with a ton of great games! And the PS3, well. That's a strange one. Don't be surprised if a price cut is announced at GamesCom in August, or the Tokyo Game Show in September.
Price cut!

I do find it funny that during that period the PS3 sold only 400k more than the PS2.

I'm still debating whether or not to pick up another PSP as a 'backup' in case the one I have dies since they are all pretty much hackable from what I understand... Even the Go! I don't really use it much these days but I still like running emulators on it and taking it on vacation with me.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Even with the PSN fiasco, the PS3 has still managed to outsell all other consoles so far this year.

The Wii is pretty much dead and it looks like Microsoft's Kniect fetish really hasn't resonated with gamers.