The Official PS3 thread!

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: The Official PS3 thread!

Post by Winnow »

Microsoft/Xbox will rule the next generation.

I saw interesting rumor that Sony and Microsoft might combine forces on their next console. I'd be all for that if Sony left Microsoft handle the hardware (no George Foreman grill shaped consoles, Snow Cone Move Thingies, or CONTROLLER FROM HELL with concave triggers)

A Sony./Microsoft Co-Op console would be interesting.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote: if Sony left Microsoft handle the hardware
Interesting you would say that as the hardware is the 360s Achilles heel and the PS3 strongest point.

It's arguable which has better design but I know you favour the 360.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
Winnow wrote: if Sony left Microsoft handle the hardware
Interesting you would say that as the hardware is the 360s Achilles heel and the PS3 strongest point.

It's arguable which has better design but I know you favour the 360.
I agree the RRoD was nasty, but I'm referring to ease of programming on the 360 compared to the Honeycomb CPU in the Sony (I can still reference articles written within the last week that harp on how difficult it is to develop games for the PS3). Maybe Microsoft advise on the guts and Sony figure out how to put the console together (maybe they'll shape it like a Taco or something) ...and the controllers. Let Microsoft handle that. Also, let Microsoft handle the online gaming! (except for how to cancel LIVE subs)

PS you said "favour" euro!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:The Wii is pretty much dead and it looks like Microsoft's Kniect fetish really hasn't resonated with gamers.
More than Sony's 3D and Move fetish, I'd wager.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Move does what it's supposed to.
It was never marketed to be 'game changing'. It's motion control done well.
There's some pretty good games coming down the pipe for Move (No More Heroes, Child Of Eden).

3D gaming is actually bloody damn cool!
When 3D TV prices start coming in line with non 3D TVs, I could see it really taking off.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:Move does what it's supposed to.
It was never marketed to be 'game changing'. It's motion control done well.
There's some pretty good games coming down the pipe for Move (No More Heroes, Child Of Eden).
lol. It's Wiimote redone. Not hard to do "what it's supposed to" since Nintendo has been doing it for years.
miir wrote:3D gaming is actually bloody damn cool!
When 3D TV prices start coming in line with non 3D TVs, I could see it really taking off.
Doubtful. But that's my bias talking. I don't want to mess with that shit at all regardless of how cheap the hardware gets. It holds zero interest to me and my perception is that a majority of gamers feel the same way.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I'm not going to wear glasses over my glasses in my home while watching a movie. It's just not going to happen. 3D is never going to catch on the way certain people want it too. It will remain niche at best. Imagining sitting at a Super Bowl party with a dozen people wearing 3D glasses is just absurd. It's easier to imagine living underwater.

While 3D gaming is a fun gimmick, it'stotally not worth the investment IMO. The Kinect and Move gimmicks had a much cheaper barrier if entry, but are both still too much for their respective experiences!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Unlike you, I usually try something before I develop an opinion on it.

Move is like the Wii-mote but it does it better, it's more precise and more responsive.
3D for some game genres is simply spectacular. Shooters and racing games are mind-blowing.

Kinect for gaming is shit.
I can't ever see this admittedly awesome piece of hardware being used effectively as a control device for anything more than dance or exercise games.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:Unlike you, I usually try something before I develop an opinion on it.
Move is like the Wii-mote but it does it better, it's more precise and more responsive.
What haven't I tried... 3D? Grats! I don't care if I haven't tried it before developing an opinion. It's a gimmick and I've heard enough complaints from people about headaches (especially with the 3DS) that I don't want to bother. Why would I try something I never had an interest in to begin with?

I haven't turned the Wii on in over a year.. And it's not because the graphics.. The sole reason is the motion control shit being forced on you in just about every single game. It's just not my thing and it has nothing to do with the precision. After working all day those times that I actually do turn on a game system, which has been fairly rare this year, I just want to sit there and push buttons. I don't get why console makers and game developers think people want to stand and flail around to play a simple video game. It's not "immersive" it's just fucking annoying. So again that makes my interest in the Move = Zero.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

My comment wasn't directed at you, but thanks for your input.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yeah, I don't even bother with 3D in the theater anymore. The glasses make an already dark movie almost unbearable. Glad I saw HP and Cpt America in 2D!

My friend has it for his home. He bought a TV and they gave him 2 sets of the glasses for free. He has a wife and three kids. He did not buy anymore glasses. I watched parts of a few Blu Ray 3D movies (all animated and were also free with his TV purchase), and played 3 PS3 games just to see the effect (KZ3, Wipeout, and Super Stardust). I stand by my assessment. Interesting experience, but not worth it at all. I would not wear the glasses to watch/play stuff.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:My comment wasn't directed at you, but thanks for your input.
Try quoting next time so people know who the hell you are talking to then!

You're welcome.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:Unlike you, I usually try something before I develop an opinion on it.

3D for some game genres is simply spectacular. Shooters and racing games are mind-blowing.

Kinect for gaming is shit.
I can't ever see this admittedly awesome piece of hardware being used effectively as a control device for anything more than dance or exercise games.
I think Kinect is better for gaming than Move could ever be. The key is going to be developers really digging into it, figuring out how to control games with gestures, etc. 3D is stupid, I've seen it for gaming and I just don't see the appeal. I don't sit down and play a game for 30 minutes if I'm going to play, and there is no way I'm going to sit with those fucking glasses on for a 4 or 5 hour gaming session (same way I won't use Move for a gaming session that long).

Child of Eden is already out for Kinect and I'm willing to bet is infinitely more fun with it than it will be with Move.

It's all relative, but personally all things considered I think MS is going to absolutely brutalize Sony in sales next console generation.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Child of Eden is already out for Kinect and I'm willing to bet is infinitely more fun with it than it will be with Move.
I've played it with Kinect...
On easier levels, Kinect control works pretty well, but when it gets more frantic it requires more precise controls. That's when most people would pick up a controller... with buttons.
It has the type of gameplay that works most intuitively with a motion controller like the Wii-mote or Move.

Ask anyone who has played it if they would rather play it with a physical motion controller or with the Kinect.
The PS3 version will likely have 3D support as well.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:On easier levels, Kinect control works pretty well, but when it gets more frantic it requires more precise controls. That's when most people would pick up a controller... with buttons.
Sure.. Such as the 360 controller or the Dualshock 3 PS3 controller.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Speaking of Child of Eden, holy shit did that game bomb hard. That has to be some kind of record.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

It's really unfortunate that the game has the 'Scarlet Letter' Kinect branding plastered on it's box because it's a solid game... one of the very few Kinect games that doesn't suck.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

It bombed because no one is willing to pay 60$ for Child of Eden, lol. Well, that and zero advertising. It should've been an XBL game.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Price ($50, not $60) combined with the fact that Kinect games don't sell....
I read that the PS3 version will be $40
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:Price ($50, not $60) combined with the fact that Kinect games don't sell....
Maybe CoE just didn't resonate with a large number of 360/Kincet users. I read a few different reviews and even if I had a Kinect it's not something I would have bought. Especially at full price.

Dance Central has sold over 2 million copies!

How are Move games selling these days? I'm sure they are not shifting blockbuster numbers. But I'm sure you have a handy chart already bookmarked so you can just paste us those numbers.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Dance Central is pretty much the only Kinect game that is selling... because it's actually a good game.

As for 'Move' games.. well, there's not really any high profile games that require the Move controller. The vast majority have it as an optional controller. There's quite a few popular games that have Move support.

I think that was a smart decision (to make motion control optional) as a lot of gamers (like yourself) see motion control as a gimmick. I personally can't stand games that games that are best suited for a traditional gamepad that require stupid gimmicky motion controls. There are a few Wii games that I passed on because of that.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Aslanna wrote:
miir wrote:Price ($50, not $60) combined with the fact that Kinect games don't sell....
Maybe CoE just didn't resonate with a large number of 360/Kincet users. I read a few different reviews and even if I had a Kinect it's not something I would have bought. Especially at full price.

Dance Central has sold over 2 million copies!

How are Move games selling these days? I'm sure they are not shifting blockbuster numbers. But I'm sure you have a handy chart already bookmarked so you can just paste us those numbers.
You'll never learn, will you? Miir NEVER posts numbers/proof except for whatever sludge comes outta his bum!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

This Bloomberg article talks about how Nintendo just upped the ante by dropping the 3DS price so much that it is really putting the pressure on Sony to do some price chopping on the Vita. It paints a pretty grim picture!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-0 ... tendo.html

Also, Sony announced that the Vita will not be launching in the States or Europe in time for the Xmas season, giving the first holiday to Nintendo by default. Instead it will launch some time on the spring. Ouch!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Pride drop for 160GB model - Two Hundred Fourty Nine US dollars.

320GB - $299

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Pride drop for 160GB model - Two Hundred Fourty Nine US dollars.

320GB - $299
It's so easy to replace a HD in the PS3. SONY rips it's customers off (yeah yeah, Microsoft does as well), with the pricing on their consoles based on larger hard drive sizes. Buy the cheapest PS3 and then go buy your own 500GB HD and stuff it in there.

My PS3's HD crashed. Best to research and get your own anyway.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:It's so easy to replace a HD in the PS3. SONY rips it's customers off
How is that a ripoff?
You have the option to put any HD you want into a PS3.
MS insists that you use only MS approved HDs.

The biggest fucking ripoff is Apple charging $100 for an extra 16 gigs on the ipad.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
Winnow wrote:It's so easy to replace a HD in the PS3. SONY rips it's customers off
How is that a ripoff?
You have the option to put any HD you want into a PS3.
MS insists that you use only MS approved HDs.

The biggest fucking ripoff is Apple charging $100 for an extra 16 gigs on the ipad.
The ripoff is the cost difference between models for just adding a few GBs of storage compared to what you can get by buying a HD and installing it. Microsoft and Apple are also culprits although with an iPad you're not going to be ripping it open to add memory yourself. It's a highly compact design while with the PS3, you just unscrew a hatch and you're done.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Honestly all console makers 'ripoff' (i.e., overcharge) their customers when it comes to peripherals. That's really where most of them make their money and has been like that since the early personal computing days. How do you think Commodore was able to sell all those cheap Vic-20 and Commodore 64s!

I also don't think you can make the case that since the PS3 drive is easier to replace that Sony is overcharging more than Microsoft. Utilizing 'standard' drives is actually a plus as opposed to Microsofts weird proprietary format.

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Apparently, this year there will be a NFL streaming option for PS3. Problem is, the cost. I think it is $340 for the season.

If there was a ala cart option or another lesser-priced out of market team option, it would be totally worth it.

Going in the right direction though!
en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Aslanna wrote:Honestly all console makers 'ripoff' (i.e., overcharge) their customers when it comes to peripherals.
MS really took it to a new level this generation charging $100 for a wireless G adapter and a 400% premium on MS approved hard drives. :)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... voice-chat

PS3 Cross-Game Chat Impossbile Due To RAM

I guess that's why you can't make custom soundtracks for games either.

The good news is that the Vita looks to have a beefy amount of RAM!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I'm not sure if I've bad-mouthed the game in the past and if I have I'll gladly eat crow..

I bought the Resistance Dual Pack on Friday and FOM is pretty great. I'm enjoying it a lot.

Took me a while to de-program myself from a month of Gears 3 and get used to some of the odd choices they made for button configuration but overall I'm very pleased.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Come back to gears. We should play one off these nights. I've played with teh stargi a few times and I can't help but say we owned shit.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Funk, you haven't turned your PS3 on in months!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

That'll change when uncharted 3 comes out. I should have dark souls beat by then.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Oh look another feature Sony removes...
We’d like to inform you of some upcoming changes to the usage policies for PlayStation Network game content. As of November 18, 2011, the number of devices that can be activated on one PlayStation Network account for game content purchased from the PlayStation Store will be updated.

For game content purchased after November 18, 2011, a new policy will apply and the number of devices that can be activated will be as follows:

* PS3: Users will be able to play the game on up to 2 activated PS3 systems.

* PSP: Users will be able to play the game on up to 2 activated PSP systems.

Please note that this update will not affect game content purchased before November 18. The PSP rights include PSP-1000/2000/3000 series as well as the PSPgo system.

PlayStation Network users are able to change the activation setting through each device, and Sony Computer Entertainment plans to provide a new PlayStation Network account management website where users will be able to deactivate particular devices attached to their PlayStation Network account via their PC.
It has only been announced on EU site so far but wouldn't surprise me this will be implemented across all regions.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Ha. I wonder if they realize how much money they'll lose off of that move. A TON of people account share and collectively buy a lot of games they wouldn't buy if it were only them paying for it. At least if they do it the same here, I won't lose access to the 60 or so downloadable title I have from shared accounts.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Probably only affect a tiny number of people who legitimately use multiple systems.
I don't know anyone who has 3 PS3s... I know quite a few with 2.

I can't really blame them for cracking down on people who are blatantly abusing 'game sharing'.
I imagine they (publishers) are losing a ton of revenue from people abusing it.
Last edited by miir on November 4, 2011, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

You're wrong. Like I said, on our shared account, of the 60+ games that have been bought, I might have bought 2 or 3 of them on my own. Same goes for everyone else on the account, and probably most people that do it. This is one of those have your cake and eat it too situations, but they'll find that out soon enough.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Oooh a Sony argument?

:popcorn:
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

That's the same logic that people use when trying to justify software piracy.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Not arguing...
I can just see why Sony would be pressured (by software publishers) to make this change.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:That's the same logic that people use when trying to justify software piracy.
Other than the fact that Sony actually touted this as a feature for the PS3. At least I know I saw it at some point but now I can't find mention of it anywhere. It's out there though I am sure of it! This is the closest I can find from a 2006 IGN article.
The PS Store demo is performed live over the internet as it's reiterated that this isn't a "set up." Games downloaded from the PS Store will be priced at $14.99 or less. The store also includes trailers and will eventually have full-length movies. The games that are downloaded can be played on up to five additional PS3s so you can share with your friends.
Of course one could argue about the definition of 'share' but I'll leave that to others.

Regardless, not a huge deal for me. The stuff that's been showing up on the swap account a few of us have isn't all that great and not something I would have purchased for myself. So in that regard Funk does have a point. On the other hand there are things that pretty much everyone agreed on. At what point does it actually become a 'lost' sale? I'll just stick with waiting for shit to go on sale on PSN+ which means I definitely wont be purchasing any day one PSN releases.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Remember that the last day for 5 PS3s being activated per account is the 18th. So get caught up on whatever someone else might have since stuff that is downloaded prior to that date will still function.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I hadn't played my PS3 in a while, but went to download the Twisted Metal demo yesterday and was reminded about one of the things that bugs me.

New items and store maintenance should be done at off peak time for each region, not during off peak time in Tokyo (which was clearly the case yesterday). I should never see a message that the store is down for scheduled maintenance at 5pm.

While I'm here, why not stir the pot a little.
Console sales for last year

Before you say it, no, it doesn't include handhelds. This isn't Japan, no one gives a shit about those.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Normal store updates are Tuesdays although they too are during the day but you're usually still able to access the store during that time. They had some sort of other network maintenance planned for yesterday that was scheduled for basically all day (9am est to 3am est Friday morning). These sort of outages don't seem to happen that often. You just got unlucky is all!

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Funkmasterr wrote:While I'm here, why not stir the pot a little.
Console sales for last year

Before you say it, no, it doesn't include handhelds. This isn't Japan, no one gives a shit about those.
How the fuck can you call that pot stirring without even mentioning Sony's Q3 sales figures and the company's net loss of over 2 billion dollars?!? They are hemorrhaging money and have been for years. The need a Steve Jobs type of leader to step in, clean house, and focus the company. They need someone with a vision and clear goals for the future. It's not too late, but they're spiraling fast.

2 billion! Jesus! That was just for Q3!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Ha, yeah. I just read another article/interview with the new CEO. He said he's already forecasting that they'll be "in the red" again all year this year.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Ironically, for the last 2-3 weeks, I've been playing on my PS3 almost exclusively...
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:How the fuck can you call that pot stirring without even mentioning Sony's Q3 sales figures and the company's net loss of over 2 billion dollars?!? They are hemorrhaging money and have been for years. The need a Steve Jobs type of leader to step in, clean house, and focus the company. They need someone with a vision and clear goals for the future. It's not too late, but they're spiraling fast.

2 billion! Jesus! That was just for Q3!
Not really sure how relevant that is in a video games forum as SCE is actually a money making division of Sony.