The Official PS3 thread!

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

The Official PS3 thread!

Post by Animalor »

Sans-bashing please!

Did anyone here camp out in the rain for 2 days to purchase one of these bad boys ? If so, how it is?[/s]
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

My brother did, and his will be sold on Ebay to the highest bidder. I think that anyone that bought one should do this, double your money - set some aside and be able to buy the console, controllers and a few games when the next shipment comes out with the profit you made.

But that's just me.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I'm just holding out hope that there were true gamers in these lines that actually wanted the system and not just people hoping to gouge gamers for maximum profit.

BTW - If you look at Sony's Warranty information, it only applies to the original purchaser of the console.
http://www.us.playstation.com/content/s ... ame_safety
.html

Limited warranty LIMITED HARDWARE WARRANTY AND LIABILITY
Sony Computer Entertainment America ( "SCEA" ) warrants to the original purchaser
that the PS3™ hardware shall be free from material defects in material and
workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the original date of purchase (the
"Warranty Period" ). If the product is determined to be materially defective during
the Warranty Period, your sole remedy and SCEA's sole and exclusive liability shall
be limited to the repair or replacement of this product with a new or refurbished
product at SCEA's option. For purpose of this Limited Hardware Warranty and
Liability, "refurbished" means a product that has been returned to its original
specifications. Visit http://www.us.playstation.com or call 1-800-345-7669 for
instructions on how to deliver the product, freight prepaid, to an authorized service
facility.
If any of you do buy the system off e-bay, made damned sure you get the store receipt with it.
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

Winnow, where are you!?
Dal-KoE
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dal-KoE »

Skogen wrote:Winnow, where are you!?
All in good time ... he's down at Walmart's getting his PS3.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

...already mod'd my PS3 to use HD-DVDs and play Wii Games using only a Drebin and a box of sugar cubes. Downloading kid's game Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz as I type this. Review to follow!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Funkmasterr wrote:My brother did, and his will be sold on Ebay to the highest bidder. I think that anyone that bought one should do this, double your money - set some aside and be able to buy the console, controllers and a few games when the next shipment comes out with the profit you made.

But that's just me.
Ebay has placed some large restrictions on the selling of the PS3 on thier site. How did your brother get around those restrictions? Furthermore, you're talking in the past tense, when it's availablity can be counted in hours.

I'm not saying your a dirty fucking liar, but I'm definately eluding to it.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

http://search.ebay.com/PS3_W0QQfromZR40

apparently those restrictions are more like guidelines
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:My brother did, and his will be sold on Ebay to the highest bidder. I think that anyone that bought one should do this, double your money - set some aside and be able to buy the console, controllers and a few games when the next shipment comes out with the profit you made.

But that's just me.
Ebay has placed some large restrictions on the selling of the PS3 on thier site. How did your brother get around those restrictions? Furthermore, you're talking in the past tense, when it's availablity can be counted in hours.

I wasn't saying he had sold it, I was saying that he was planning on it. I did not know that Ebay went nazi on the restrictions for PS3 sales.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

http://www.smashmyps3.com/

This guy put up the page earlier this year. Collected donor money, bought the unit this morning, went outside where the line was, took it out and destroyed it.

There must've been some mighty pissed off people in that there line.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Beat on those Sony fanbois!
The PlayStation 3 Mayhem reached UCLA-like proportions last night, as a Best Buy manager announced to 50 people that only 35 PS3 units were available. Ruh roh.

The crowd then rushed the entrance, which caused the manager to pull down the shutters and barricade himself in. Police on the scene labeled the crowd an "unlawful gathering", then used batons on people who were being uncooperative. To those baton-ed: better that than having to play through NBA 07 or Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire. – Jason Chen
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Riiiiiiiiidge Racer!

The police were obviously hired by Microsoft.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

heh, the video of that spectacle has to be priceless.
Fuck Michigan!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Wow. People are retarded. It's a fucking game console. They'll make more.

(Oops.. Wrong thread.. Same point!)
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

cadalano wrote:http://search.ebay.com/PS3_W0QQfromZR40

apparently those restrictions are more like guidelines
So I scrolled through that page out of curiosity... and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0048487106

The Haitian prince gave me a chuckle. Obviously bullshit, but I thought it was funny as hell.

Edit: It was taken down. Basically, someone named haitianprince20 put a fucking $520,100.00 bid on a PS3.
Last edited by Drinsic Darkwood on November 17, 2006, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do unto others what has been done to you.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I was planning on going and standing in line for one early this morning, but I went to Wal-Mart last night for some stuff and there was already 10 people in line with a sign on the door saying there was only 10 PS3's in stock for the next day. I asked a the first neckbeard in line when he got there and he told me it w as around 10AM that morning and there was already 10 people by noon.

I was a bit put off, but the only game I really wanted out of the launch was Resistance and maybe Ridge Racer. As long as I had one by the time MGS and Heavenly Sword comes out (and Mooootooorstoooorrrmmmmm) I could honestly care less.

However this morning I went onto Bestbuy.ca and they are adding 10 premium PS3's to their site every hour, so I must have logged on at the exact right time. The site was getting hit hard but I managed to get one into my cart at 7AM when the quantity changed from 0 to 10 and hit checkout. BB has already confirmed my shipment and I should be getting it Monday or Tuesday. 8)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I have been watching ebay at work, and every 30 seconds or so when I hit refresh on the PS3 search I have the number of them for sale is going up 50-100. I would be interested to know what percentage of the release PS3's end up on Ebay.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

kyoukan wrote:I was planning on going and standing in line for one early this morning, but I went to Wal-Mart last night for some stuff and there was already 10 people in line with a sign on the door saying there was only 10 PS3's in stock for the next day. I asked a the first neckbeard in line when he got there and he told me it w as around 10AM that morning and there was already 10 people by noon.

I was a bit put off, but the only game I really wanted out of the launch was Resistance and maybe Ridge Racer. As long as I had one by the time MGS and Heavenly Sword comes out (and Mooootooorstoooorrrmmmmm) I could honestly care less.

However this morning I went onto Bestbuy.ca and they are adding 10 premium PS3's to their site every hour, so I must have logged on at the exact right time. The site was getting hit hard but I managed to get one into my cart at 7AM when the quantity changed from 0 to 10 and hit checkout. BB has already confirmed my shipment and I should be getting it Monday or Tuesday. 8)
Very nice job!

Gratz to you. =)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I can't get audio for some reason but check out the guy dressed up at a Wii controller taunting the people in the PS3 line:

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/7545

edit: found a good quote:

"I wouldn't change positions with them in a million years. I mean, we know what it's like to be a year late. We feel great about the position that we're in. And, of course, they're going to sell a lot in Japan.

You know, Sony can make 80,000 bricks, and people would buy them. So the real competition--you're going to see the impact of our innovation and all the momentum we have in Christmas 2007. This Christmas, the story is: Xbox 360 is going to sell super-well, and they'll sell the rounding error amounts they can make."

-Bill Gates
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:

But that's just me.

Does knowing that there are ten's of thousands of these on Ebay make you feel stupid about this comment? I'm just curious, because it should.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Winnow wrote:You know, Sony can make 80,000 bricks, and people would buy them. So the real competition--you're going to see the impact of our innovation and all the momentum we have in Christmas 2007. This Christmas, the story is: Xbox 360 is going to sell super-well, and they'll sell the rounding error amounts they can make."

-Bill Gates
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Siji wrote:
Winnow wrote:You know, Sony can make 80,000 bricks, and people would buy them. So the real competition--you're going to see the impact of our innovation and all the momentum we have in Christmas 2007. This Christmas, the story is: Xbox 360 is going to sell super-well, and they'll sell the rounding error amounts they can make."

-Bill Gates
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates
"Bill Gates is the richest man alive."
-Winnow

I don't see Bill discussing technical specs in his quote! He's speaking from a business standpoint.

From what I've hearing, people buying Madden 07 on the PS3 are going to be disappointed if they've played it on the 360. Comments are that it looks flat, less crisp, and the lighting blows compared to the 360.

Of course, EA is the worst company in the gaming industry but the point is that they are a bunch of lazy fucks in a bloated company and if the 360 is easier to program, it will have better looking games from this shit company. I think it was Carmac (Doom dude) that said the other day that the 360 is the first console that has development tools that rival or are better than the PC's.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Getting Bill Gates opinion on how the 360 is going to fare is like getting Bush's opinion on the war in Iraq. You're not going to get anything but a positive answer.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Of course a Bill Gates comment is going to be pro MS but that doesn't mean he isn't right about it. If PS3 developers can't pump out quality games at the pace the 360 developers can, it's going to make a difference. You also may and up with a quality difference in games in which developers rush out the product, providing a more polished game on the 360 over the PS3 due to development time. The 360 may or may not end up with more total units than the PS3 in 5 years but there's no doubt they will have a sizable market share this generation. The combination of easier development along with simple porting between the PC and 360 (along with the upcoming Live Anywhere) may result in some developers sticking to those two platforms. I like Microsoft's strategy in focusing on excellent online performance, easy development, effort to improve presence with Japanese style games, and mid range console cost.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

I just wanted to say that those "smashmyblahblah.com" people are fucking assholes. If you watch any of the other videos, they're such douchebags that they deserve to get punched in the face.
miir and I are best friends. <3
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Dregor Thule wrote:Getting Bill Gates opinion on how the 360 is going to fare is like getting Bush's opinion on the war in Iraq. You're not going to get anything but a positive answer.
At least in the case of Gates, people's livelihoods are at stake... not their lives.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Mr Bacon wrote:I just wanted to say that those "smashmyblahblah.com" people are fucking assholes. If you watch any of the other videos, they're such douchebags that they deserve to get punched in the face.
thats me you fucking asshole bring it on
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's an article regarding the PS3 vs Xbox 360 form a developer's perspective.

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-348-1.htm

snippet:
Being a video game developer (I develop for both, Playstation 3 and XBOX 360) people ask me almost daily which platform I think is better. These are my personal feelings, in no way does this reflect my employer.

Short answer: XBOX 360.

Long answer: Price, performance, visual quality, game selection and online support. I think the XBOX 360 wins in every category.

Performance: On paper, the PS3 is more powerful. In reality, it’s quite inferior to the 360. Without getting into too many details, the three general-purpose CPU’s the xbox360 has are currently FAR easier to take advantage of than the SPU’s on the PS3. I suspect a few years down the road some high budget, first party PS3 exclusive titles will come out that really take advantage of the SPU’s and do things the XBOX 360 can’t, but I don’t think the console is worth buying based on this speculation (for some it will be though, we'll have to wait and see how these games turn out).

Graphics: The XBOX 360 is a clear winner. The GPU is more powerful. It has more powerful fillrate, and far more pixel and vertex processing horsepower. Part of the reason is their choice of memory, and architecture of pixel and vertex procesing. I can’t get into details but the same vertex shader will run much slower on the PS3 than the XBOX 360. The 360 also has a clever new way rendering high definition anti aliased back buffers. To accomplish the same effect on PS3 is prohibitively expensive. For this reason I think many games will have no choice but to run in non-HD resolutions on the PS3 version, use a lower quality anti aliasing technique, or do back buffer upscaling. The end result in all cases is going to be noticeably worse image quality.
Sparty
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sparty »

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Did bestbuy.ca ever ship to you Kooky? What's the verdict?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Man, that's just brutal on all fronts for the PS3. Maybe Sony will do a recall on the PS3 and put out a fun, easy to use game console. They've been doing a lot or recalls lately so who knows. Sony should just eat crow and announce a PS3-60 next year.

Listening to podcasts of reviewers that have been playing the PS3, peeps seem to be missing the rumble feature on the PS3 controller more than they thought they would. Not a big deal to be but seems to be for others.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I'm really sorry that you can't afford a PS3, retard, but do you have to fuck up every thread with PS3 in the title with this asinine shit? I'm on the verge of fedexing you mine just so you start posting about how great it is.

I set mine up this morning. I only have ridge racer and resistance. I'm wondering right now if PS3 is so weak compared to the mighty xbox 360, then why does this first gen ps3 game look better than anything on that platform. althought I'm sure we all enjoy winnow's fascinating articles written by 'game designers' and people on jet planes, you only have to look at a well made ps3 game, made for ps3 and the difference in quality between the two machines is patently obvious.

the launch titles are shit except for the two I have, in my opinion. ps2 had shitty launch titles too, though, and the only decent 360 launch title was condemned. I really like resistance. the weapons are fun and way more interesting than most other fps. it technically looks better than gears of war, but the art isn't as good. I will probably get fight night round 3 because my friend told me that it looks better than the 360 version, and Ive played the 360 version and it looks pretty fucking fine. I never bought it though.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

kyoukan wrote:I'm really sorry that you can't afford a PS3, retard, but do you have to fuck up every thread with PS3 in the title with this asinine shit? I'm on the verge of fedexing you mine just so you start posting about how great it is.

I set mine up this morning. I only have ridge racer and resistance. I'm wondering right now if PS3 is so weak compared to the mighty xbox 360, then why does this first gen ps3 game look better than anything on that platform.
I'm guessing you have wall-eyed vision if something on the PS3 looks better than Gears of War or your stupidity also affects your ability to hook these consoles up correctly which wouldn't be a surprise. Not a single reviewer thought it looked better or played better. Not one. Not even the Sony fanboys. You are not special but it's a good thing to justify the purchase. I'd take the wait and see route myself as I have seen the PS3 and release games in action at a store and unless the games are magically better up in blizzard country, you need to eat more carrots if you're seeing better graphics than the 360 premier games out right now.

Grats on the lucky lotto web click grab on the PS3. Kinda funny that you think I can't afford one. I suppose you could be useful and tell us how wrong the guy in Sparty's linked article, with 100 times more playtime on the PS3 than you and your Riiiiidge Racer game compares the PS3 and 360...but then you'd actually have to unfuck your mind long enough to do something useful instead of just flame away on this board.
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

Gears of War pretty much maxes out the 360 - the devs themselves have admitted as much.
Comparing it to a PS3 launch title is just stupid and anyway Resistance looks about 85% as good as Gears.

When it comes down to it the graphics bottlenecks on both machines is the number of shader instructions per second. Guess what - they're almost the same in this respect.

I heard XBox engineers - ya know, people from Microsoft who actually built the machine - saying that the GPU wasn't powerful enough and would look dated well before the PS3 does. We are 2-3 years away from seeing what a PS3 can really do, just like the PS2.

XBox is easier to work on and has better online support as of now. Good for it. I have one and I like it. And I think Sony have fumbled the PS3 launch too. But only time will tell in the long run.

And you know what? In the long run none of it matters for shit. Both are capable of producing graphics more than good enough for gaming. The games themselves are what matters.

Winnow, you may prefer the 360 but your idiotic crusade to persuade everyone to admit its just superior to the PS3 in every way (and similarly MS > Sony, Bill > Ken and US > JPN) is tiresome and pointless. So give it a fucking rest.

Signed,
A Games Developer
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Well you are a game developer so he has to listen to you.

Tell him to drink a bottle of clorox.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

kyoukan wrote:I will probably get fight night round 3 because my friend told me that it looks better than the 360 version, and Ive played the 360 version and it looks pretty fucking fine. I never bought it though.
I saw the screen caps of Fight Night for the PS3 and it looks phenomenal. I'm actually surprised that EA actually put somemore work in the title and improved it instead of just making it work and pushing it out.

I played the original one on my SDTV and I thought it looked fantastic.

What type of TV setup are you running Kooky? What are the resolutions you have if it's an HD set?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It'd be a different story if a Final Fantasy game (or any good game) was released at launch that took advantage of the PS3's power. As it stands, the 360 was first with the HD graphics so their average launch games were more attractive than the PS3's a year later.

Looking at the quality, single platform releases for the 360 vs the PS3 for the next six months, it's no contest. I would guess that FFXIII will be released in about a year to compete next holiday season.

If/when the developers figure out how to take advantage of the PS3's power (ignoring the low memory issue on the PS3), it's not going to produce a quantum leap in gaming experience. It will be more like how the Xbox's graphics were an improvement over the PS2...didn't make a difference in sales. People go where the games are and Microsoft seems to get that, along with online.

Plugging in a wireless controller to have it recognized does sound kind of ass-backwards though. Maybe they could have gotten rid of the cable needed for your "wireless" controller to marry to the console and have provided component cables so you could actually watch your Blu Ray movies and see the next gen games in the native resolution of the platform without having to buy another video cable.

I'll snap up a PS3 when the first good game is released.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

lol winnow is actually comparing upcoming releases with a system that has been out for well over a year with one that has been out a week!

SCORE ONE FOR MS WINNOW!
Fuck Michigan!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zamtuk wrote:lol winnow is actually comparing upcoming releases with a system that has been out for well over a year with one that has been out a week!

SCORE ONE FOR MS WINNOW!
What's your point? Are you going to penalize Microsoft for getting their console out a year earlier combined with easier game development? I tend to game in the present. I haven't mastered time travel yet. Perhaps Hiro is happy with his PS3. I also made the point that it's not going to matter even when developers have gotten the hang of coding for the cell processor. The quality of the games will determine where consumers spend their money. People are orgasmic over the incredibly shitty looking graphics on the Wii so a "slight", if it happens, increase in graphics a year from now with PS3 games over 360 isn't going to be a deal breaker. At this point, the dual platform games look better in some cases, and the same in worst cases, on the 360.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

I've played Resistance and own Gears.. I don't think one looks better than the other at all really. Resistance is really fun too.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's been bothering me that the shape of the PS3 reminded me of something but I couldn't place it. This explains it!

Looks kinda like a George Foreman grill.

Some guy actually made one:

auto-link doesn't work due to the "!" in the URL

Code: Select all

http://www.therealps3grill.com/therealps3grill!_000003.htm
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

That is great :lol:
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

It's funny looking at the local craigslist site to see all of the PS3's being sold with tags including things like: must sell to pay bills, and will return to Best Buy on Friday if not sold so I can pay rent.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

So... what's the eBay policy when you fuck up your listing this badly?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Playstation-3-PS3-6 ... dZViewItem

40 hours and a few hundred dollars well spent?
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

It is going to be funny, in another 2-3 weeks people will be selling these at break even prices after standing in line for two days in the fucking rain in front of best buy.

At least this will be the last console launch where shit like this happens. Stupid greedy fuckwads. Sony and ebay should have put a blackout on PS3 sales for 3 months. Now there's a ton of people that wanted one so they could play it that didn't get one and probably resent Sony for it.

Sony really, really fucked this launch. They should have waited until they had at least 5-6 million units for the US to launch it. It's not like they needed it out before christmas in order to sell their 300,000 units. Now they just look stupid to the average consumer compared to Wii that had millions of them at launch day, even though Wii is made out of 5 year old off the shelf parts.

I saw an ad on TV last night for PS3. What the fuck? YOU CAN'T BUY ONE.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This might be the PS3 you buy off of eBay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E7oBYXjOG4

eBay is not the place to buy a console. Good luck getting a replacement.
AmTech analyst PJ McNealy guesstimates that Sony's opening weekend shipments for the Playstation 3 were lower than the already lower than expected numbers.

Their "research" concludes that the actual Playstation 3 launch numbers were in the range of 125,000 to 175,000 and that includes the 15,000 or so being used for kiosks. No wonder people were shooting each other for the console.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's an article with pictures and video comparing the 360 and PS3 side by side:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3155393

The extra year didn't seem to help developers improve the graphics on launch titles for the PS3. I'm interested to see if Sony can close the graphics gap faster than the year it took for Microsoft to advance their graphics to GoW levels and if they can surpass them in two years which would be the third year of release for the 360. By then, the PS3 will be cheaper and the 360 will be at bargain bin prices which might be a good time to switch over to the PS3, leaving two more years before 2010 and the next round...while Sony thinks it can get 10 years out of the PS3, I have a feeling that Microsoft will present a new console in 2010 that will make them rethink the 10 year lifespan. if Microsoft is able to keep the easy development path with their next console, it will catch them right back up (if the PS3 is able to outperform the 360 at some point in the next four years)

Sony's got a handful of exclusives left...Final Fantasy (the game but not the creator as Hironobu Sakaguchi has moved on to work on 360 games Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and a new RPG action game called Cry-On), Metal Gear Solid and Devil May Cry? I'm hoping FFXIII is as good as GoW graphically as that's the only reason I'm buying the PS3 atm and I'm sure plenty are thinking the same thing so they better go fucking nuts on the budget and hit a home run with it next Christmas season.
Blu-ray. The Cell Processor. The RSX graphics chip. The PS3 was supposed to be the most insanely advanced gaming machine ever created. It was supposed to be able to deliver visuals well beyond anything capable on console or PC. According to Sony, the next generation wasn't supposed to begin until PS3 arrived.

So why is it, then, that all these PS3 games look just the same as they do on the Xbox 360?

When the PS2 first launched, Sony demanded that all games on the system be enhanced visually over their rival platform counterparts. The PS2 represented the next generation of gaming, and software was required to support this notion. With the PS3, Sony seemingly has no such requirements, offering us only that it "expects and encourages publishers working on PS3 titles to take full advantage of the technology and features that PS3 provides." Well, encouraging may not be enough. And promises for better looking games in the future don't really cut it. The PS3 is here now, it costs an extra $200 (at minimum), and the visual difference is questionable.

Don't believe us? We put the PS3 lineup to the test. We captured images and video of several games and their Xbox 360 counterparts - using the same exact capture device, with same type of connection cables, running at the same exact resolutions. Now you tell us, are we just missing something or was the next generation here all along?
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

SHUT UP.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

^
|
|
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

GOBSHITE!
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.