The Official PS3 thread!

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: The Official PS3 thread!

Post by Boogahz »

Finally found this in stores at Walmart of all places. Other shops only knew that it was "released" last week even though they have never seen a single system in their stores.

I am at a loss on how to find the free titles that come with it through the network. I know that I will need to download them, but...where are they in that sea of strangeness that is the store?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

My advice is to not access the PSN store from your PS3 because they recently overhauled it and it looks and performs like shit. Luckily they now have the web store going so use that.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork. ... TATIONPLUS should get you in the general vicinity. There is a 'Free Games' link on the left side.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Thanks! Chose PS3 Full Games, and they are there. Why couldn't the console be so simple? lol
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Boogahz wrote:Thanks! Chose PS3 Full Games, and they are there. Why couldn't the console be so simple? lol
Because Sony sucks and had to change it. I mean the previous version wasn't the greatest but it was ten times better than what they have now. It looks like they were almost copying MS with making it look Metro-y. It's just an overbloated slow POS now. Everyone I know basically hates it. At least now with the web thing you never have to enter the store from the console since you don't even need to go in there to download stuff you bought.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I don't like the store on Xbox Live, but it's leaps and bounds better than the new layout on the Playstation. I was looking for something on the store the other day (can't remember what), and it took me like 5 minutes. Terrible fucking layout.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Use the convenient hacked .pkg files for DLC updates on a USB, then go buy them if you can find them in the online store.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Just over a week in...

Controller... I always thought Winnow was exaggerating the horridness of the controllers, but he isn't. I feel like I should be holding/using them with three fingers.

The store... Why does it even exist if I have to go to a PC to select content I want?

The Dashboard...think this is kind of useful, but it looks like too much has just been slapped into various categories. Where the hell is it I find the stuff I went to my PC to buy?

Game quality... I have installed three or four PS+ games so far, but I have only really played Ratchet & Clank (all 4 one?) in single-player mode. I would like to get some multiplayer in on something soon.

Streaming functions... Not something I've wanted to use from the PS3 since my TV handles it like a pro.

The Console... SO quiet compared to my (old) Xbox360. This model comes with the sliding tray cover which is a little annoying but not a dealbreaker.

Wal-Mart's return policy... might have to check that out as much as I hate to.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Boogahz wrote:Just over a week in...

Controller... I always thought Winnow was exaggerating the horridness of the controllers, but he isn't. I feel like I should be holding/using them with three fingers.
Am I seriously the only person who has zero problems with the PS3 controllers? Apparently.
Boogahz wrote:The store... Why does it even exist if I have to go to a PC to select content I want?
You don't have to go to the PC to select content you want. And in fact that option wasn't even there a month ago. However with how shitty the redesigned store is I find it a better option.
Boogahz wrote:The Dashboard...think this is kind of useful, but it looks like too much has just been slapped into various categories. Where the hell is it I find the stuff I went to my PC to buy?
It tells you when you purchase it. Here's from the FAQ:
After purchase, your content is added to your Download List on your Sony Entertainment Network activated device. Your download list is arranged in date order, with the newest first, so recent purchases will be at the top of the list.

To download your Sony Entertainment Network Store content:

On the XMB™ Menu, go to > (PlayStation®Network) > (Sign In) and sign in to your Sony Entertainment Network account.
Select (Account Management) and press the X button.
Select (Transaction Management) and press the X button.
Select [Download List] and press the X button.
Choose the content you want to download and press the X button.
The item will download to your PS3 system.
Boogahz wrote:Game quality... I have installed three or four PS+ games so far, but I have only really played Ratchet & Clank (all 4 one?) in single-player mode. I would like to get some multiplayer in on something soon.
Not the best representation of a Ratchet and Clank game, btw.
Boogahz wrote:Wal-Mart's return policy... might have to check that out as much as I hate to.
Why?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I hate the PS3 controller too!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Worst news I've heard about the PS4 is that they aren't changing the controller. What a bunch of fail. There are obvious major flaws that could be corrected. They may as well go back to the Atari Joystick. It has about the same ergonomics.

Great in its time...but like most things, there are better options now.
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

The only thing I use my ps3 for is netflix and even then I have a problem with the controller.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You people must have giant gorilla hands or something.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Might not want to update just yet!
A new software update for PlayStation 3 went live earlier today, adding the option to let owners of the console turn off Trophy notifications and promising "improved system stability." The new update, version 4.45 of the PS3's system software, is also causing trouble for some users.

Immediately following the update, some PlayStation 3 owners took to the official PlayStation forums seeking help for the issue. Some PS3 owners are reporting that the new software update makes it impossible to load the system's XMB, hanging on the waving ribbon at boot up.

While the issue appears widespread, it does not appear to be universal

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Be afraid. Be very afraid!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I know. What sort of crazy person would want to turn off Trophy notifications?!

--
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

The PS3's firmware updating system has always been a disaster. Forcing full 20+ minute long firmware download+updates for things like the ability to turn off trophy notifications or adding features to their text chat. I can't count how many times I've sat down in front of my PS3 and booted it up with my lunch or dinner in front of me and getting ready to fire up something on netflix, only to have the fucking thing tell me I have to update the firmware before I can log in to anything.

I don't know what their engineers were thinking when they made that console, other than the fact they just expected every developer in the world to want to learn how to and spend the extra money on coding for it's strengths. That firmware update thing drives me up the fucking wall though.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

kyoukan wrote:The PS3's firmware updating system has always been a disaster. Forcing full 20+ minute long firmware download+updates for things like the ability to turn off trophy notifications or adding features to their text chat. I can't count how many times I've sat down in front of my PS3 and booted it up with my lunch or dinner in front of me and getting ready to fire up something on netflix, only to have the fucking thing tell me I have to update the firmware before I can log in to anything.

I don't know what their engineers were thinking when they made that console, other than the fact they just expected every developer in the world to want to learn how to and spend the extra money on coding for it's strengths. That firmware update thing drives me up the fucking wall though.
I agree, even the simplest updates on the PS3 have taken way longer than all but the biggest updates for the xbox. It's always been an annoyance for me too, and was one of the things I was really wanting to see improved upon with the PS4. We don't know if they did or not yet, but I'd have to imagine they did.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Same thing with some of the PS3 game patches. GT5 has a hilarious 2 GB patch that took me hours to DL and install. Little Big Planet had a 1.5 BG patch and Playstation All Stars had over 1 GB, and those are off the top of my head. So you have to wait for that shit to DL and then wait for it to install. I don't know exactly how often I've said "fuck it, I'll just play something else", but it has been a lot. Playstation All Stars kept trying to patch while playing 4 player local over and over despite telling the game to not DL and stop asking.

Sony's "DL then extract" has always suuuucked. Especially for the huge patches. I wonder why "DL in background" is even an option since anything remotely important cannot.

MS limited the patch size on 360 games to 8MB? It might even be 4. That has been a blessing and a curse though. Sure, I can jump right into games, but it has denied many games content and updates they really needed. I think developers should have something in place to encourage a fully functional and complete game at launch, so something like a patch limit likely helps with that. However, I also strongly encourage after game support so it's a fine line.

One of the xbone's "pros" to being online is the ability to DL and install the updates for every games on your system as soon as they become available. So in theory there will never be a patch needed to install before being able to play a game. It will always be ready to play, in theory.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

A second forum topic was posted late Tuesday, discussing a possible fix. But the best instructions available simply warn users not to do a system restore and wait for the release of a fix.

Sony did not immediately respond to PCMag's request for comment, though the company provided Joystiq with a statement similar to its earlier tweet.

The firmware glitch comes on the heels of Sony's strong showing at the recent E3 gaming conference in Los Angeles, where details about its upcoming PlayStation console were revealed. The PS4 , set for a holiday launch, will retail for $399 — a full $100 less than Microsoft's Xbox One — and will not require an online connection to play single-player games.
There should be some genuine concern about Sony's ability to improve their network before the PS4 is released.

Always online vs bricked system....So now you have some PS3 owners that can't play online OR offline games until a fix is in place.

I know a lot of people hold out hope that by some miracle, the PS4 and Sony will be much better online and with patches, firmware updates etc, but I'll believe it when I see it. They haven't shown any indication that things are improving.

I'm a little bummed about this news as I was hoping Sony could keep their act together at least up until the launch. I hope talks go well with the hedge fund, otherwise their stock will be in the toilet if Loeb dumps his shares. I still plan to hold SNE until the week before launch. I'll then sell and immediately short the stock as I expect plenty of hiccups on launch day and the following week. I wish Sony would stop screwing around with updates on the PS3 though as it's really not helping things.

Here's an interesting read on Wired Magazine's site that's actually neutral despite the title:

Sony Won E3 (But That Doesn’t Matter)
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

do you have to troll every thread with your stupid fucking ranting. yes, we get it. you like xbox better because it's super easy to hack so you get all games for free. you can fucking stop now. oh sweet jesus in heaven if you would just fucking stop posting.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Same thing with some of the PS3 game patches. GT5 has a hilarious 2 GB patch that took me hours to DL and install. Little Big Planet had a 1.5 BG patch and Playstation All Stars had over 1 GB, and those are off the top of my head. So you have to wait for that shit to DL and then wait for it to install. I don't know exactly how often I've said "fuck it, I'll just play something else", but it has been a lot. Playstation All Stars kept trying to patch while playing 4 player local over and over despite telling the game to not DL and stop asking.

Sony's "DL then extract" has always suuuucked. Especially for the huge patches. I wonder why "DL in background" is even an option since anything remotely important cannot.

MS limited the patch size on 360 games to 8MB? It might even be 4. That has been a blessing and a curse though. Sure, I can jump right into games, but it has denied many games content and updates they really needed. I think developers should have something in place to encourage a fully functional and complete game at launch, so something like a patch limit likely helps with that. However, I also strongly encourage after game support so it's a fine line.

One of the xbone's "pros" to being online is the ability to DL and install the updates for every games on your system as soon as they become available. So in theory there will never be a patch needed to install before being able to play a game. It will always be ready to play, in theory.
That's a pro if you're lazy and a convenience to you is worth unnecessarily wasting energy constantly, but to me it's not. Again - we should be going the route of making vampire power illegal like ze Germans did.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

kyoukan wrote:Hodor. Hodor...Hooodoooor.
"Fortunately, we have a product for people who aren't able to get their PS3s to work now, it's called PS4."
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:There should be some genuine concern about Sony's ability to improve their network before the PS4 is released.
Why? What the hell does a firmware update have to do with their "network"? The answer, in case you were wondering, is zero.
Winnow wrote:I'm a little bummed about this news as I was hoping Sony could keep their act together at least up until the launch.
I can tell you're real broken up about it.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I have to check my PS3 to see if + automatically applies this last night.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

The PS3 won't update firmware overnight even if your are a Playstation+ member. It will only allow you to patch games. Thank god. I wouldn't want to have a bricked PS3 stacked on top of my three bricked Xbox 360s bought near the launch of the system. At least Sony will give you the option of unbricking it yourself.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

And also it seems to only (mainly?) happening to people who replaced the HDD so if you haven't done that you're probably safe.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

A couple of days ago, many PlayStation 3 owners found that the latest version of Sony's firmware locked up their systems, causing the PS3 to hang indefinitely at startup. Sony quickly took version 4.45 of the software offline, saying it would work to resolve the problem. Now, PlayStation Europe has said that a fix is coming on June 27th, hopefully across all regions — though it hasn't been posted on the main PlayStation Twitter account.
Sony rocks. fix on the way....10 days later!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm sure the problem is still limited to a lot less than 360s that suffered the RRoD.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:I'm sure the problem is still limited to a lot less than 360s that suffered the RRoD.

current events vs 5 years ago
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Still relevant.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Can never have enough Ratchet and Clank
We’re excited to announce that Ratchet and Clank are returning this year with an all new original single-player epilogue to the Future games. Under the creative direction of Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time creative director Brian Allgeier, Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus is a story-driven platform adventure, with the humor and heart that make the franchise so beloved.

The game will be available exclusively on PS3 this holiday, in stores and on PlayStation Network for an MSRP of $29.99. It’s our biggest downloadable Ratchet & Clank game yet, dwarfing the size of both Quest For Booty and Full Frontal Assault.
$30. Sounds like it's half a game! Oh well any R&C is better than no R&C.

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Should I worry that my PS3 has been running an [Automatic Update] since 4:46 AM? I can't power it off or hit the O button to stop it either! Next step may just be unplugging the fucker.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

That seems a long time!

--
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

There is definitely something wrong. Turn it off, and if the PS3 bricks, there are lots forums that will tell you how to do a system restore. Restore it and try updating it again, and if it keeps bricking you will probably have to RMA it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Nice that there are so many forums that show you how to unbrick your Sony console.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

unplugged it last night, and the auto update ran fine this morning
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Nice that there are so many forums that show you how to unbrick your Sony console.
True. Only need one for Xbox since RRoD = go out and buy a new one. That's the only way MS got as many unit sales as they did. You should really subtract like 30% of their sales to get the actual number.

--
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

You can always pay Microsoft $200 and wait six weeks for them to send you another broken one.

Microsoft's RMA process is to take a broken 360 out of one person's RMA box and put it in another one and ship it back to a different person. Keep doing it until said person gives up and buys another new 360.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Microsoft has fixed their hardware issues. The second generation Xbox 360's are outstanding. Can't say the same for Sony's software/network issues. They keep on fucking up. It's a miracle if you get a firmware updated without issues that takes less than 30 minutes.

Next gen doesn't look promising for Sony. Microsoft made the Xbox One huge to support whisper quiet operation along with excellent venting while Sony made some warped looking box. It's got a really cool huge blue glowing light down the side of it though. That along with the neon glow controllers would make it the console of choice for rave parties.

Just pop a few quaaludes and you're all set!

Seriously, what the fuck is up with the light?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

This is the PS3 thread. Why are there DS4 controllers in it?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Just take a look at the dumbass that posted them
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:Just take a look at the dumbass that posted them
Have you ever posted anything besides soccer scores?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I posted your mom
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:I posted your mom
+10

:lol:
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Awesome. mom jokes!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Microsoft has reclaimed its crown as the UK’s No.1 platform holder.

Xbox has shared a number of statistics with MCV to remind us all who’s the boss in the current console cycle.

It follows an impressive run from PS3. Sony’s console trended ahead of 360 during June and July, thanks to The Last of Us and momentum after E3. But in August Xbox reclaimed its crown. Microsoft says more 360s have been sold this year than any other console.

Xbox games have accounted for 38.2 per cent of all games sold in 2013 so far – PS3 accounted for 25.5 per cent.

And to rub salt in the wound the platform holder released stats that say 66 per cent of Saints Row IV sales were on 360 (versus 34 per cent for PS3) and 61 per cent of Splinter Cell sales were on 360 (versus 36 per cent for PS3).

The gloves really are off.

All stats are from GfK Chart-Track ­reports.

“Xbox 360 continues to be the most popular place to play games in the UK,” Xbox UK marketing head Harvey Eagle told MCV. “Not only is Xbox 360 back as the No.1 console in the UK, software sales are strong across all titles with Xbox enjoying a majority share of some of the biggest games in the UK charts at the moment.

“We see this demand continuing over the coming months, as well as extremely strong pre-orders for Xbox One with Day One Editions sold out at many retailers.”
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-360 ... st/0121324

Oh well, PS3 had it's month in the spotlight! Hello Euros!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The next PlayStation 3 update, which is coming today, will bring the console's system software to version 4.50 and open up automatic downloads to all PlayStation Network users, according to the European PlayStation Blog.

PlayStation Plus, a subscription service atop the free PSN service, launched in June 2010 with exclusive features such as automatic background downloads of PS3 firmware updates and of content from the PlayStation Store. Firmware version 4.50 will remove the PS Plus requirement for those two services.

In addition, the upcoming software will add privacy settings for PSN Trophies, allowing users to choose which of their Trophies are visible to other PSN users. And lastly, the 4.50 update will also let people transfer data wirelessly between a PS3 and a PlayStation Vita.

/insert predictible Winnow response

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Windows 8 is the best version of Windows I've ever used. Rock solid.

I mentioned something nice about PSN offering freebie Kingdoms of Amalur this month on another thread.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You did! However don't get PSN mixed up with PS+.

PS: Windows 8 sucks.

--
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Did Windows 8 launch already? I must have missed it since nobody wanted it and nobody bought it.

Oh wait. I seem to remember some stuff I read about how game developers hate it for being a shitty closed system that is not worth programming for and the only game for it exclusively is a crappy dual stick Halo shooter that MS had to bribe some shovelware developer to make.