The Official PS3 thread!

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: The Official PS3 thread!

Post by Boogahz »

yes, I saw where you said "worldwide," and you repeatedly ignored that they said US. Y'all have been arguing about two different sets of sales figures since the thread started.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I never said the PSP was a failure. But there is no denying the PSPGo is. Even in Japan. However even Sony can't compete with Nintendo and the mighty Wii/DS combo.
The only reason the 360 is even close in sales is because of all the RROD consoles that were re-purchased.
At an estimated 16% failure rate that works out to roughly 5 million 360s that had to be replaced. ;)
This is fantasyland stuff though. I doubt a console replaced though warranty would count as another "purchase" in the NPD sales figures. If 5 million people went out and bought a 360 after their died then yeah I think that would make "the 360 was the biggest winner of this console generation" because that means people love it so much and proves how awesomely awesome it is.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Jesus Miir, you don't know when to quit.

Worldwide sales, as of March 2010, the 360 is still outselling the PS3 by 4.3 million units. That's worldwide. We won't get into game sales because I don't feel lke trudging up a million sites for info, but it's a stupidly large margin.

If you really want to talk about sales figures and money as an indication if who is "winning", then perhaps we should talk about how well Microsoft is doing vs Sony in financial reports!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Worldwide sales, as of March 2010, the 360 is still outselling the PS3 by 4.3 million units.
The 360 had a year and nearly a 7 million unit headstart on the PS3.
That headstart has been eroded to roughly 4 million and with current trends will be down to 2.5 million by the end of 2010.

perhaps we should talk about how well Microsoft is doing vs Sony in financial reports
Go ahead.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

It's going to be interesting to look at sales numbers now that Microsoft has the slim out and if each company's motion offering will actually drive some console sales. Looking at the short term user feedback on Microsoft's official forum, looks like reliability issues may be a thing of the past(at least immediate, short term massive failures that the launch devices suffered).

Microsoft needs to come up with an excellent marketing campaign a la "It only does Everything".
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The "reliability" thing has been pretty much sorted for almost two years now or whenever they started pushing out Jaspers. I'm sure some still malfunctioned but I doubt it was like it was before that.

But really I don't see why people have to be on one side or the other and make it almost like some religion thing. Use whatever console you like best. Or use them all what does it matter.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Aslanna wrote:The "reliability" thing has been pretty much sorted for almost two years now or whenever they started pushing out Jaspers. I'm sure some still malfunctioned but I doubt it was like it was before that.

But really I don't see why people have to be on one side or the other and make it almost like some religion thing. Use whatever console you like best. Or use them all what does it matter.
I sidestepped the whole issue and own both. Also, Fuck the Wii.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

PS3 owners looking forward to playing GTA-alike Mafia II have been dismayed to learn that the game features notably degraded graphics on the PS3 as compared to the Xbox 360 version, a repeat of the minor fiasco surrounding the release of Red Dead Redemption.
and the beat goes on
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

What 'Red Dead Redemption' fiasco?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I read and saw the comparisons last week. Pretty goddamn shameful. This makes Ghostbusters look like God of War 3. Maybe it will get patched?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

These PS3 screens look good.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/mafi ... nav%3Bprev

might red x
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Don't you know Miir, it's not about if it looks good, it's about how it looks COMPARED to the 360! A-duhhhhh!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Dregor Thule wrote:Don't you know Miir, it's not about if it looks good, it's about how it looks COMPARED to the 360! A-duhhhhh!
Yeah, comparing a game that's on both of the powerful gaming consoles is such a ludicrous idea. Especially given that the companies have not had a large, public debate about which system is faster, more powerful, has better graphics, etc. What further makes this discussion retarded is that the system that is better on paper and is using a new technology ALWAYS looks better than the other system, especially in games not specifically produced for the first system. Discussions like this one and the people involved in them is why VV is dying.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:These PS3 screens look good.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/mafi ... nav%3Bprev

might red x
That guy has a one foot high afro on the 360!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:That guy has a one foot high afro on the 360!
Ironically, that character is from DLC exclusive to the PS3 :)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://secondapps.com/neogaf/showthread.php?t=403682

Anyone interested in side by side comparisons should check out this thread on NeoGaf. If you don't care or want to know which version is better, then don't click the link. Such people should probably not post in a thread about graphical comparisons.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The PC version looks best. No surprise there.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Only the clowns are Neogaf care that much about this shit.
Most gamers actually care more about things like... umm... gameplay.
And I'm pretty sure all 3 versions will have exactly the same gameplay.

A few frame drops, tearing or difference in graphic quality should not make or break anyone's opinion of any game... and if it does, that's a pretty pitiful individual. I mean seriously, it's just a fucking video game.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I think it's even more pathetic getting butthurt about the fact that people like discussing graphical differences. /shrug
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Who is 'butthurt'?
I'm not the one who wastes my time reading those threads.

I think the game actually looks really damn good in the screenshots I've seen.
I just don't get these guys who have nothing better to do with their lives than micro-analyse graphical differences in the same video game across different platforms.
Seems like a waste of time.

I'd rather be actually playing video games.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Such people should probably not post in a thread about graphical comparisons.
I.. I thought this was the official ps3 thread :( Sorry bro!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Not that I care.. But someone might! Why does it always seem like it's 2K games that don't look as good on the PS3?
"When designing Mafia II, we optimized for each of the three different systems the game would run on to make sure the core experience was the best it could be. Because of this, there are some differences from one platform to the next. In terms of the PS3 version, I wanted to clarify a couple points you have been asking about: There will not be highly detailed grass or large pools of blood, the cloth movement is less noticeable than, for example, the PC version, and the visual fidelity in the demo is generally representative of what you’ll see in the full game.

Our aim is to make a cohesive and immersive experience and optimize the game for each platform so that it could run its best. And while there are some differences between each version, I’m sure you’ll find that the core gameplay and the heart of Mafia II remains no matter whether you play on PS3, 360, or PC.

Thanks for your patience while I checked with the dev team on the specific issues you were asking about, and I hope you see you in Empire Bay next week."

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Dregor Thule wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:Such people should probably not post in a thread about graphical comparisons.
And I thought this was a video game forum where we discuss video games. Crazy, I know!
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Dregor Thule wrote:
And I thought this was a video game forum where we discuss video games. Crazy, I know!
Nice backpedal :P
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

How many even knew the Playstation Move was released today?

Was there chaos in the stores? Mothers punching daughters fighting for their Move bundles?
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I'm debating picking up the move bundle and a 2nd wand. I skipped the whole Wii thing so this could be interesting.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

For both PS3 and 360 I'm going to wait on reviews, games, and price drop. As I've said before, I'll only be getting one or the other for my kids. I might even skip both and pick up a black Wii at Xmas time.

And no, I didn't realize Move was released today. I actually thought it was next month.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I realized it. But didn't care. Firmware update coming next week to add 3D to the Blu-Ray capabilities. Also don't care about that!

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Gonna pick it up when they add Move support for MAG and Heavy Rain... supposed to be in a couple of weeks I think.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Winnow wrote:Image
Ok, I laughed.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Picked it up yesterday. The thing works really well. Much better than the Wii in my experiences. Sports Champions in pretty good but I haven't played a ton yet.

The camera is a bit of a letdown where the position of it will charge depending on the game being played. Having to move it around to suit the game being played is a bit of a PITA.

Some games ask that it be shoulder height with the player using it, meaning that it needs to be moved depending on if an adult or a child is using it. Aside from that though I don't regret getting the thing given that I never bothered with the Wii. This will give me a lot of the same experiences without having to invest in a 3rd console.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

So much for waiting! My wife took the girls out early this morning and let me sleep in. When she came back, she had done the grocery shopping and picked up the 100$ Move bundle as a surprise.

I then had to go out in the afternoon and pick up another controller, 2 nun chucks, a charging stand, and I also got another game for my girls (party something). Total cost for 2 full PS Move controllers, a charger and two games (one bundled) = 300$. Oh well, my wife seems really excited to watch the girls play. Well, I am too of course. I have everything set up and charging right now, so it should be set and ready to play after dinner tonight. We still may not get to play it tonight because she also bought a couple of board games for the girls (Candyland and Operation) so we may play those instead.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I haven't picked up the nav controllers or the charging stand however that 2nd Move controller is a must for Sports Champions. Doing the Gladiator thing and archery with both hands is a great experience.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Well, you sure don't need a nun chuck for shit yet. What a waste of money that purchase was.

Both games are ok. Not worth 40$ each. I feel like I overpaid for everything I got by about 150$. Every item should be half the price. My advice? Keep waiting.

The sports game is still a bit hard for my girls (ages 3.5 and 2), but they absolutely loved the party game and they played the heck out of it.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

My daughter (6) has been playing the EyePet demo and absolutely loves that. Really likes the party game too. They are a bit steep at 39$ each imo. Might wait till WalMart throws them in the cheap bin in a year or so.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Well, you sure don't need a nun chuck for shit yet. What a waste of money that purchase was.

Both games are ok. Not worth 40$ each. I feel like I overpaid for everything I got by about 150$. Every item should be half the price. My advice? Keep waiting.

The sports game is still a bit hard for my girls (ages 3.5 and 2), but they absolutely loved the party game and they played the heck out of it.
Having played the Wii I already knew I wasn't interested in motion controls. Even if it is more accurate than a Wiimote it's still basically the same. The reason I haven't turned the Wii on in months isn't because the graphics it's because I hate how they can't make a game with just standard controls. Even the ones like New Super Marios Bros they have to force it in so you just can't use a classic controller. I don't know about anyone else but playing like where you turn the controller sideways really hurts my hands. It's totally not comfortable. SO keep waiting? Yeah like.. forever.

While I don't really care about Kinect either at least it's not just a Wiimote clone. And Dance Central looks fun!

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Do the folks that purchased the MOVE controllers still like them? Worthwhile? I'd totally be into it if there are enough titles (mainly fighting-type games) and the damn things work right.
en kærlighed småkager
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I play with em every few days when I'm in the mood for Sports Champions.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Game developer Tose’s proclamation that the PS3 had finally taken the lead in the current generation’s console war has proven false, and the company has issued a grovelling retraction.

Their apology is suitably humble:

“At KYOTO CMEX 2010 our CEO presented a lecture entitled “The 30 year history of gaming.” However, there were errors in the data used and we offer our humble apologies for the inconvenience caused.”

Famitsu for their part quietly deleted the offending slides, although it stops short of actually apologising (although in all fairness, it did not endorse their accuracy, only publish photographs of them in passing).

Tose refrain from providing any other numbers, but other sources show the Xbox 360 with a lead of several million units sold.

Recently published statistics have shown the PS3 managing to outsell the Xbox 360 by some measures, but not by enough to close the modest lead Microsoft still enjoys fully – leaving Sony still stuck in third place loser position.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The following is not opinion:

When the PS3 was released, the 360 had a year headstart in which it sold 8 million units.
That 8 million lead is now less than 4 million.

So far in 2010 the PS3 has outsold the 360 by nearly 2 million.
In 2009 the PS3 outsold the 360 by nearly 3 million (hell, even the PSP outsold the 360 in 2009)

Since release:
The Wii has sold an average of 18.8 million per year and is drastically trending down 2010 is looking to be the Wii's worst year in sales.
The PS3 has sold an average of 10.1 million per year and is trending up. 2010 is looking to be it's stongest sales year yet.
The 360 has sold an average of 8.8 million per year and is holding steady. 2010 looks like it will match the 10-11 million of the past 2 years.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Early bird gets the worm! ...and now, Microsoft has raised their 360 Kinect sales estimates from 3 Million to 5 Million units for the 4th Quarter.
Microsoft's Kinect platform will rule the 2010 holiday season in motion-control gaming, Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter told CNET in an interview today.

Pachter, who covers the video game industry, said he expects Kinect to hit the 5 million unit sales mark that Microsoft last week said it expects by the end of the year. But Sony won't be so lucky with the PlayStation Move, its new entrant in motion controllers.

"I think that Move will pick up to a respectable level, probably around 3 million by year end globally, so roughly 2 million in U.S. and Europe and 1 million rest of the world," Pachter said. "It's possible that Sony could see a tad more, but we will have to see a pickup in advertising, maybe 3.5 million."

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20022 ... z14tFHuogb
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

How many of those console sales were for blu-ray only? That is really the only reason I would even consider getting a ps3.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Boogahz wrote:How many of those console sales were for blu-ray only? That is really the only reason I would even consider getting a ps3.
Seeing as you can now get Blu Ray players for like $100, I doubt that it's a bit selling point for the PS3 anymore.

I think the PS3s strongest selling points these days are it's AAA exclusives, reliability and value.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The surge in PS3 sales is because it can finally be hacked. Sony shouldn't have been such asshats about that. Homebrew drives sales. People like to customize...especially when Sony puts out such crappy software for their (last minute thrown in GPU card) hardware.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Does it really matter who sells more? The point is that I think, excluding Japan area, the 360 can be considered a success and wont be fading away anytime soon. Even companies that were Sony only (Insomniac for example) are looking to go multiplatform with a new IP . And of course you have Bungie on the other side of the coin who was XBOX only. It can only benefit consumers. Use whatever system you want even all three. I don't really think you can consider one better than any of the others other than how it appeals to you personally.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I think it's safe to say that the 360 owns North America, the PS3 owns everywhere else and the Wii owns them both :)
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

..and the Wii is on a massive downwards slide. That should make everyone happy as well.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:The surge in PS3 sales is because it can finally be hacked.
The PS3 has been surging for the past two and a half years, moron.
It's averaging over 900k sales per month in the past 30 months.
The 360 has sold on average 700k per month in that same time period.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Animalor wrote:..and the Wii is on a massive downwards slide. That should make everyone happy as well.
I've actually played my Wii a lot more in the past year.
Monster Hunter Tri, Sin and Punishment, Arc Rise Fantasia, Rune Factory Frontier, Red Steel 2 and Kirby's Epic Yarn...

All but Red Steel have no (or minimal) motion controls... coincidence?
Last edited by miir on November 10, 2010, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.