The Official Anti-Michigan Thread

What do you think about the sports world?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: The Official Anti-Michigan Thread

Post by Winnow »

Sylvus wrote:That's odd, there's a "spotlight" section of ESPN's college football page that has a heading titled "The Rivalry", and I don't see any mention of any Sun Devils or Wildcats. Someone should probably email the editor of ESPN.com.
That's because our rivalry game is always the last game of the year to let the other little rivalry games have their brief time to shine before the super nova rivalry game of them all attracts everyone's attention! The buildup hasn't begun yet!

The Territorial Cup is locked away under tight security!

I'm not sure who to root for now that OhioSU has lost a game. I don't want both teams so beaten down that Wisconsin ends up in the Rose Bowl. I'd rather have OhioSU there if ASU makes it for revenge purposes. Michigan has already fallen to the Sun Devils in the Rose Bowl.

It would be much more humorous if OhioSU loses to the team that lost to Appalachian State, who then lost to Woford College.

Arizona State lost to Oregon...who lost to California...who lost to Arizona State so it's really like ASU never lost!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Winnow wrote:The buildup hasn't begun yet!
show me one respectable source that would publish anything about that game, this year. respectable means don't give me some dumbshit local publication.
Fuck Michigan!
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

You'll be playing the winner of Mich/OSU no matter what Winnow. Both have 1 big ten loss, thus the winner will have 1 big ten loss. Wisconsin has more than 1.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's not a given for ASU as they need to beat USC who has top level talent, whether they're playing well or not.

Arizona State
6-1,9-1
Oregon
5-1, 8-1
USC
5-2,8-2
Oregon State
4-3,6-4
UCLA
4-3,5-5

USC, sitting with two losses would pass ASU. Oregon could lose a game as well and go to the Rose Bowl instead of the National Championship. And don't forget the battle for the Territorial Cup, The Duel in the Desert, with the entire world watching (after downloading the torrent!). ASU should beat UofA but there's always a good chance for injury with the vicious all out hatred battle between bitter rivals.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

All fun winnow-bashing aside, that documentary was fucking awesome. I don't even care that it was more ohio-centric than it was impartial. I'm so hyped up for this game, it's silly. I hope I can find a copy of The Rivalry on the newsgroups so I can burn it to DVD and play it at tailgate this weekend.

I'm not going to lie, I teared up a bit at the end when they talked about how Bo's comments were part of his last interview before he died.

I'd really be interested to hear someone's opinion who legitimately feels that Michigan/Ohio State isn't the biggest rivalry in college football (and isn't just trolling, Winnow) and has watched The Rivalry. Thoughts?
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

No real interest in even watching it. If it happens to be playing when I am somewhere, I guess I would listen.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's just another game as is Arizona State vs Arizona for most of the country.

It matters because it impacts the Rose Bowl as probably will the ASU vs UofA game.

I still don't get why people think their rivalry game is more important than someone elses. People get fired up for ASU vs UofA no matter what sport they are going head to head in, but especially football.

Right now, OhioSU vs Michigan determines who's going to get spanked by a Pac-10 team again in the Rose Bowl.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Winnow, for the love of GOD, would you drop your assinine "OhioSU" shit in this thread (at least!)? I'm pretty fucking sure NO ONE (except maybe you) could possibly confuse OSU for another university than Ohio State in "The Official Anti-Michigan Thread".

And the ESPN pukes are predicting OSU vs USC in the Rose Bowl. That would actully be very interesting considering we have them scheduled for non-conference play the next two years.

Personally I'd rather we played your boys if just to shut you up.

P.S. Nothing personal, you're pretty cool in general Winnow, but on the subject of college football you get under my skin like chigger mites FFS.
Last edited by Ashur on November 14, 2007, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Ash
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Or at least just say Ohio St. I don't know of anyone, except Winnow, that uses OhioSU.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ashur wrote:Winnow, for the love of GOD, would you drop your assinine "OhioSU" shit in this thread (at least!)? I'm pretty fucking sure NO ONE (except maybe you) could possibly confuse OSU for another university than Ohio State in "The Official Anti-Michigan Thread".
Since Ohio State has claimed "THE" I suppose we can get away with THE OSU in this thread without confusion. Or we could call them the "Sticker Boys".

USC isn't a cake walk game for ASU. USC has many of the top recruits in the nation every year. It very well could be USC vs Ohiogan but I'm hoping for a great game Thanksgiving Night to determine that.

I really want to play the Buckeyes as that would make for the most entertainment on this forum. I'd say it's a coin toss on who wins between Arizona State and USC. At least it's a home game for the Sun Devils.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I pretty much agree with Winnow.

I'm rooting for ASU to beat USC, because I want an ASU v. Ohiogan matchup in the Rose Bowl, which would actually allow my earlier bet with Winnow to come to fruition (even though I may be less confident in that bet than I was previously).
Momopi
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Momopi »

or ASU loses to USC and Oregon loses then I donno who plays who in the rose bowl
Momopi Down warder of PD
Naala Momokitty Raid Assassin of PD Meow Meow
Naala the Breeder in Ted Club
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Think Arizona vs ASU is annoying--you should see the locals here get all in an uproar about the fucking "Civil War" annual game between Oregon and OSU (Oregon State). Buncha fucking ducks and beavers all over the place...
en kærlighed småkager
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Congratulations Sylvus on Michigan's win over Florida!

(p.s. haha, I got to congratulate you by bumping the anti-Michigan thread)
(p.p.s. lol Masteen)
- Ash
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Our defense sucks, and our defensive playcalling sucks even worse. Base cover 2 against a senior QB with one of the shittiest secondaries in Gator history, mixed up with weak ass zone blitzes. GOOD JORB, COACH STRONG!

He was backed up on the other side by Mullen's inability to figure out how to beat a blitz with the QB God Himself made for that very purpose. Also, we're stocked with speedy receivers and backs, but let's not use anyone other than Harvin. EXCELSIOR!
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Gratz Michigan, impressive win...I also HATE Florida teams with a passion bordering on obsessive, so while I cannot win my bet with Ashur, it does make me feel a little better that Florida is the one that ruined it for me. Any Florida loss is a good loss.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

That was a great game from Michigan. Finally with everyone healthy and some varied playcalling the offense shows what people were expecting from them all season. 41-35 in a game that wasn't even that close if we don't have 4 silly turnovers. Can't believe Hart fumbled twice. I'll take it though. No one gave us a shot, what a great win for Lloyd's final game.

Such a happy start to 2008. :)

Go Blue!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I was happy with that finish. For some reason, I get a large kick out of watching the disappointed looks on Meyers face when something doesn't go his way.
Fuck Michigan!
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Sylvus wrote:That was a great game from Michigan. Finally with everyone healthy and some varied playcalling the offense shows what people were expecting from them all season. 41-35 in a game that wasn't even that close if we don't have 4 silly turnovers. Can't believe Hart fumbled twice. I'll take it though. No one gave us a shot, what a great win for Lloyd's final game.

Such a happy start to 2008. :)
That was the best bowl game by far on New Years day. I am happy Michigan got the win. It was kinda like rooting for my brother to have sex with my sister, but I am not one of those idiots that want Michigan to lose every game they play. I only care about Michigan losing one game a season.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

Nice win...

I hope your new coach chokes on his bonus check after winning that one from behind the scenes.
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Morgrym wrote:Nice win...

I hope your new coach chokes on his bonus check after winning that one from behind the scenes.
You know, I was trying to remember who had the WVU avatar ever since we hired him. Sorry :?

After that first drive yesterday, we were pretty surprised to see Rich Rodriguez on the sidelines without a headset on. We thought he'd at least be up in the booth or something.

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

He had one of the super-sekret CIA implant headsets!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Tyek wrote:Gratz Michigan, impressive win...I also HATE Florida teams with a passion bordering on obsessive, so while I cannot win my bet with Ashur, it does make me feel a little better that Florida is the one that ruined it for me. Any Florida loss is a good loss.
I concur on the impressive win (and with Sabek's comments on only wanting Michigan to lose one game a year), I just hope that it isn't soley due to Michigan that you didn't win that bet (boy, wouldn't it be ironic if a Michigan win saves me from having to fly a Notre Dame or Pac-10 logo as an avatar! No Sylvus, no side bets! :P).

I really felt for Hart and those fumbles, especially the one where he was reaching for the goal line for a "sure thing" touchdown and had it clubbed out of his hands. He looked almost as sad as he did after he realized he'd lost to OSU for every year of his college career. ;)

The Rose Bowl was just painful to watch, the Illini looked like shit (except that one beautiful interception which I caught later while looking on the upstairs tube), I gave in to my daughter's desires to watch "Blue's Clues" on the downstairs television.
- Ash
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

I gave in to my daughter's desires to watch "Blue's Clues" on the downstairs television
I bet it was more exciting then the game. Plus you got that whole Handy Dandy Notebook thing to enjoy.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Bump!

Enjoy your bowl game this week UM! :lol:
Fuck Michigan!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Eh, like I've said all season this is a crazy rebuilding year for us. I'm fine with where we are right now, I expected it to be a difficult year. We've been showing signs of improvement and are a crazy-young team. We get a decent QB next year and we'll be right back in there.

I'd rather not go to a bowl game than have to watch my team get sodomized in the title game every year, making our Conference the laughingstock of the rest of the country.

And it's kind of refreshing going into this game fully expecting a loss. I can't be disappointed at all this week! Good luck to you guys though, it'd be pretty embarrassing to lose to the worst Michigan team ever. ;)

Go Blue!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Hmmm. Apparently, OSU did not bring their A game this week.
en kærlighed småkager
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Canelek wrote:Hmmm. Apparently, OSU did not bring their A game this week.
What game were you watching?
- Ash
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

They should have won by 80. Slackers.
en kærlighed småkager
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I wanted one more touchdown then a 2-pt conversion a la Woody.

Rich Rod looks to be the new Cooper, as he doesn't really seem to care about this rivalry as much as he should. I also hope to see a 2-10 (or worse!) future for him!
Fuck Michigan!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Zamtuk wrote:Rich Rod looks to be the new Cooper, as he doesn't really seem to care about this rivalry as much as he should. I also hope to see a 2-10 (or worse!) future for him!
Bah, that's BS! He just had other things on his mind this season. Wait until 2010!

Go Blue!
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

I feel bad for Michigan honestly.
They paid 1.3 million per win this year in buyout money alone for Rich Rod.
That doesn't include his salary. :)
Sabek
Just Sabek
Raistin
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Raistin »

Just have to throw in a LOL. Looking forward to Western Michigan to knock off UM. Here is to you, Maze and Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hard times!

http://jay-mariotti.fanhouse.com/2009/0 ... wont-last/
With Michigan in Crisis, Rich Rodriguez Won't Last

How does a storied mystique, built and buffed over the better part of four decades, implode in just one year? Michigan football has been an esteemed slice of maize-and-blue Americana, all about winged helmets and "The Victors,'' home to a stadium so massive and breathtaking that it stands alone in lore as The Big House. Even when Notre Dame waned, we could entrust the Wolverines to remain a gold-standard pillar in college football. Right?

Until Rich Rodriguez arrived, that is.

Now, the program is immersed in a potential scandal, which jeopardizes Rodriguez's future in Ann Arbor after he laid a 3-9 egg in his rookie season and bumbled his way to the program's first losing record since 1967, and first bowl-less year since 1974. According to several current and former players, he and his coaching staff have made a mockery of NCAA rules restricting the amount of practice and training time the team is allowed. These rules are in place for health and safety purposes, along with the principle that players should be immersed in academia and not perpetually majoring in football.

But in the Coach RichRod regime, some players say they are all but tortured by strength and conditioning coach Mike Barwis, who has been with Rodriguez for six years and dates back to his previous tenure at West Virginia. Between weightlifting, running, seven-on-seven scrimmages, film work and all sorts of non-stop commitments, players estimated they were required the last two offseasons to devote 15 to 21 hours a week, far exceeding the NCAA's limit of eight hours a week.

Part of the winter regimen is Torture Tuesday, which sounds like a fraternity-house hell-week prank demanding players to be up before dawn and perform Army crawls, piggyback rides and other draconian drills, causing some to throw up before a day of classes. During the season, they were said to spend time on football activities beyond the weekly limit of 20 hours and daily limit of four hours, including nine hours on Sundays -- after Saturday games.

The ramifications are staggering. Michigan is an elite institution that has managed to balance academic and football excellence since the 1970s, when coach Bo Schembechler was hired and created the monster. If the program is found guilty of major NCAA violations for the first time, it will be a colossal blow to the university's national prestige -- as much as the filth that buried the basketball program. Imagine Michigan, mighty Michigan, clobbered with the football-basketball double whammy. It surely would prompt the firing of Rodriguez, who has done nothing right since his 2008 hiring, a supposed coup that instantly became regrettable when he lost the recruiting battle for heralded quarterback Terrelle Pryor -- who was supposed to lead his spread offense -- to arch-rival Ohio State and battled his previous employer at West Virginia in ugly legal mudslinging over wages.

Contrary to Rodriguez's response, which blames bad apples who all were recruited by respected predecessor Lloyd Carr, don't make the error of calling this a grudge leak. The Detroit Free Press, which broke the story, interviewed 10 current and former players and the parents of four others. The newspaper said five players issued almost identical accounts and said a sixth came pretty close. Several others didn't speak about the allegations but refused to deny the banned extra activities. Former Michigan receiver Toney Clemons, now at Colorado, confirmed everything on the record for ESPN. Either this is a spectacularly orchestrated smear job or a lot of people are blowing the whistle on Rodriguez. I choose the latter.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I don't have any particular ill will towards Michigan, except for my strong dislike for RichRod. Alabama is so lucky they dodged a bullet with that goofy bastard and got Saban instead. I'm anxious for this mistake to be corrected so that Michigan can get back to some semblance of normalcy.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

The allegations against Rich Rod's "requirements" are laughable at best, written by a Freep reporter who has continually had an axe to grind against Rodriguez that twisted quotes taken from freshman under false pretenses and conflated them with players who have transferred out of Michigan in ignominy.

Seriously, there are far too many pieces pointing out the lack of journalistic integrity in Rosenberg's piece for me to link them all here, but a handy starting point is mgoblog.

I'd be happy to expand further if we'd like to turn this into a discussion of whether or not Michigan did anything wrong, but when people such as Minnesota's head coach, former Ohio State QB Kirk Herbstreit, and current Ohio State players and Coach Jim Tressel are defending anything Michigan, it's safe to say that this wasn't an issue.

Go Blue!
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

Sylvus wrote:The allegations against Rich Rod's "requirements" are laughable at best, written by a Freep reporter who has continually had an axe to grind against Rodriguez that twisted quotes taken from freshman under false pretenses and conflated them with players who have transferred out of Michigan in ignominy.

Seriously, there are far too many pieces pointing out the lack of journalistic integrity in Rosenberg's piece for me to link them all here, but a handy starting point is mgoblog.

I'd be happy to expand further if we'd like to turn this into a discussion of whether or not Michigan did anything wrong, but when people such as Minnesota's head coach, former Ohio State QB Kirk Herbstreit, and current Ohio State players and Coach Jim Tressel are defending anything Michigan, it's safe to say that this wasn't an issue.
What about him being sued for $4 million for defaulting on a loan for a failed condo development?
Obviously not an NCAA thing, but has to look bad for the University.

Don't get me wrong, I want Michigan to get back to prominence so the game with OSU means more at the end of the year.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Sabek wrote:What about him being sued for $4 million for defaulting on a loan for a failed condo development?
Obviously not an NCAA thing, but has to look bad for the University.
Well, it comes from before he worked for the University, and...
The Detroit News wrote:"Coach Rodriguez is the victim of a fraudulent real estate Ponzi scheme that has unfortunately affected many Americans," said his [financial] advisor, Mike Wilcox, in a statement released this morning by the University of Michigan athletic department. "Several other coaches and prominent individuals are involved in this transaction."

Go Blue!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Oh boo fuckin hoo, those soft northern pussies can't get all lazy and bloated in the offseason anymore! Waaaaah, we're being made to exercise for more than an hour in the glorious beautiful Michigan summer with sweltering temperatures in the mid to high 80s!
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I'm not sure if I buy that ponzi scheme bullshit. How can it be a ponzi scheme if he actually applied (and was granted) for the loan for the construction of condos? It would take a LARGE amount of negligence bordering complete stupidity to be taken for a ride of that magnitude (the total amount was around 26 million) by his business partner.

That practicing ordeal is pretty retarded as well.

But UM will still be horrible this year.
Fuck Michigan!
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

I think Michigan fans should feel pretty good about this weekend.
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Raistin
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Raistin »

masteen wrote:Oh boo fuckin hoo, those soft northern pussies can't get all lazy and bloated in the offseason anymore! Waaaaah, we're being made to exercise for more than an hour in the glorious beautiful Michigan summer with sweltering temperatures in the mid to high 80s!
The same soft,lazy ones who beat the gators in Florida?
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Gzette wrote:I think Michigan fans should feel pretty good about this weekend.
We did! :)

Both from the win (nice broken play turned into a touchdown from Freshman QB Denard Robinson, that kid is fast!), and from playing drunken Giant Jenga Block Stacking Game™!

(popped collars are unintentional)

Go Blue!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

popped collars should never be a side effect from drinking.

lose
Fuck Michigan!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

It was a new shirt and the collar was funny.

But you keep talking smack, and wait until you get your come-uppance on Nov. 21!

Go Blue!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

The vest will make it six in a row.

Let's just hope you can salvage a decent record by beating ND this week.
Fuck Michigan!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I am not a fan of the meatchickens, but I fucking hate the irish. Good job, DickRod.

This is could be the beginning of the final indictment of the BCS: a two loss ND getting a BCS bid over undefeated Boisie St, Utah, and/or BYU.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

My boner still hasn't gone down from Saturday's game yet.

That was so awesome.

Go Blue!
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

I was the only one in my picks pool to take Mich. go blue. I like them. They're playing with a helluva chip on their shoulder, and in the process making the Mich/OSU game almost watchable! Still they gonna have to take a backseat to TX/OU this year.
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Dear Ohio State ,

You suck because your coach is terribad.

Love,
Brocephus Peter Carrol