So!

Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

So!

Post by Tegellan »

Who still plays?

I have not yet bought the game, but a few friends want me to pick the game up, so thinking i will this week. I used to play a wissie and a sk, so would I reasonably still like those classes?

Any other advice you can give me before I start?
Fortune favors the brave!
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Well, I play a SK, and I get pretty frustrated with it in the solo department. I can take a hit, and have decent survivability, but the damage output atm (lvl 58) isn't enough to do much with it other than kill mobs my level or lower. If I fight a named that's still worth exp, can almost assuredly fugedaboutit.

From observations, in terms of soloing, you'll be most effective with a bruiser/monk, berserker, wizard/warlock, necro/conj I believe. All classes can solo, just varying levels of effectiveness.

As for the game itself, it's not bad. Has good and bad points, but there's lots to do in the game, lots of goals you can set for yourself. I'm a quest whore and am trying to do as many of them as I can. That works for me.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I find that there is actually too many quests in this game. By level 10 I had already completed like a trillion quests (most of them involving just talking to someone or finding a stupid ground spawn in another zone) and my quest log was nearly full still and I was still coming across tons of NPC's trying to give me more quests. It would be nice if there were fewer quests and more thought out. I felt like the town gofer.

I guess no one is holding a gun to my head and forcing me to do every quest in the game, but I'd rather not run through qeynos and have most of the NPC's going 'HAY! COME HERE!' every time I pass them because they have an unfinished quest.
Llaffer
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Llaffer »

When the game first started, I think there was someone who reached L20 without killing a single NPC. Everything was done via quests.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

They recently axed a bunch of the quests in the sub-towns of each city. Unfortunately, IMO, but then I'm a quest whore!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Llaffer wrote:When the game first started, I think there was someone who reached L20 without killing a single NPC. Everything was done via quests.
The highest I've gotten a character on quests is level 31. You even have the option to disable combat XP.

I know a guy on permafrost who turned off combat XP at level and is closing in on level 60.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Dregor wrote:can almost assuredly fugedaboutit
What??
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

I've been watching sopranos lately :(
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: So!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Tegellan wrote:Who still plays?

I have not yet bought the game, but a few friends want me to pick the game up, so thinking i will this week. I used to play a wissie and a sk, so would I reasonably still like those classes?

Any other advice you can give me before I start?
Stick to playing EQ

(Darklyte)
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Picking a class is really dependent on if you are intending to play to the level 70+ raid content or just solo and knock around with friends. If you intend to only play with friends, then I would pick a class that complements what they already have. Pretty much anyone can solo, but it varies greatly as to how well. If you have thoughts of raiding later, then that could help narrow down your choice a bit.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

If you have thoughts of raiding later, then that could help narrow down your choice a bit.
In other words, don't play a SK or Paladin.... or any tank class for that matter. Raids can only have a limited number of tanks. Berserkers and Bruisers aren't too bad because they can do mad damage and have decent buffs.... but more than 2 fighters in a raid is most always a waste of a raid slot.

Brigands, Coercers and Dirges are 3 of the most important (and for some reason least popular) classes in a raid behind a solid MT and a good selection of healers.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:
If you have thoughts of raiding later, then that could help narrow down your choice a bit.
In other words, don't play a SK or Paladin.... or any tank class for that matter. Raids can only have a limited number of tanks. Berserkers and Bruisers aren't too bad because they can do mad damage and have decent buffs.... but more than 2 fighters in a raid is most always a waste of a raid slot.

Brigands, Coercers and Dirges are 3 of the most important (and for some reason least popular) classes in a raid behind a solid MT and a good selection of healers.
Whoa, I haven't raised a character higher than 36ish (Wizard), but what is the general raid size that more than two tanks is too many? Also, why is it that way?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Whoa, I haven't raised a character higher than 36ish (Wizard), but what is the general raid size that more than two tanks is too many? Also, why is it that way?
Max raid size is 24, meaning raid spots in some guilds are at a premium.

Why have more than 2 tanks when that spot can be better filled by a debuffer or DPS? The only fighter class that's going to be anywhere near the top end in DPS is a berserker... and that's only in certain situations.

In reality, most guilds will have no problem finding spots for their paladins, shadowknights and other fighters.... But once you have the healer and tank spots filled, you wanna get your debuffers/buffers sorted then add as much DPS as possible.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

I've said it before but i love EQ2, although I'm glad i came in late, now that certain annoyances have been removed or changed. If you were into the lore of EQ1 at all, you'll have a great time. If not, you'll be less amused by the constant throw-backs.

There are several VVers like myself and some old CoEDs on Permafrost server, but VVers seem to have gotten spread across Perma, Lucan, Guk, and one or two others.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

I'm still playing and love the game, highest character is a 46 monk (almost 47) who can solo pretty much anywhere and has very good dps to boot. Some say we can't tank raids (monk is a fighter class) which I've never done but I have tanked numerous Epic MOBs in non raid play with a group and done just fine.

Wizards are fun, played one of my alts all day one day last week while I was sick and got from 12 to 18 I think was a blast for a change.

Also playing a Nerco I recently started and she is already my second highest character at 31, tied with my original main my guardian. Necros have mad solo ability and are a blast, just as much fun as a monk, both can handle multiple MOBs at once very easily.

Marb
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I've never done but I have tanked numerous Epic MOBs in non raid play with a group and done just fine.
Epic = Raid

Unless you're sporting legendary/fabled (or the mob is long grey). I find it doubtful that you're tanking epics.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

That is not true in the least. Pylix has been playing a bruiser and was tanking epic (x2) mobs for our group since we started. We have also had a monk tanking level 73-74 epic (x2) mobs in Nek 3. Hell, I have tanked an epic x2 mob as a swashbuckler....
Seebs
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Seebs »

Still play - still like it- looking to explore more content with a guild that raids - excited about that possibility.

I have a 58templar and lord knows soloing to 58 was a chore- but kinda fun.
Seeber
looking for a WOW server
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:That is not true in the least. Pylix has been playing a bruiser and was tanking epic (x2) mobs for our group since we started. We have also had a monk tanking level 73-74 epic (x2) mobs in Nek 3. Hell, I have tanked an epic x2 mob as a swashbuckler....
High level monks and bruisers can easily tank epics... but in their 40s, they don't really have the tools. A while ago, some people doing a pickup raid for Coldtooth (epix2 in TS) had a 48 monk to tank. 3 mid/high 40s healers just barely kept him up... I actually ended up tanking the tunnelers because I had to spam heals at the beginning to keep him up.

Hell, I have tanked an epic x2 mob as a swashbuckler....
Rogues are surprisingly good tanks in the right situations. :)
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Perhaps those monks aren't well equipped because I have tanked both blue and green epic mobs in the past with 1 healer and lived... can't tell you why the others couldn't do it though. Hell in my 30s I soloed the Pumpkin King who was green but not grey, it took 15 minutes but I did it...
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

Still on perma here - 54 fury named Canoe.
Fenna
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fenna »

Perhaps those monks aren't well equipped because I have tanked both blue and green epic mobs in the past with 1 healer and lived... can't tell you why the others couldn't do it though. Hell in my 30s I soloed the Pumpkin King who was green but not grey, it took 15 minutes but I did it...
My monk is 32 and I'm having a great time, but I must be poorly geared or something. I'm having a hard time with single level 24 triple heroic zombies in the Crypt of Betrayal. In the past I was able to solo triple heroics that were 6 levels lower than me, but now I'm having a hard time with triple heroics that are 8 levels lower than me.

Someone earlier commented that monks are very gear-dependant. I'm thinking I should start spending some cash at the broker, instead of saving up for a mount.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Marbus wrote:Perhaps those monks aren't well equipped because I have tanked both blue and green epic mobs in the past with 1 healer and lived... can't tell you why the others couldn't do it though. Hell in my 30s I soloed the Pumpkin King who was green but not grey, it took 15 minutes but I did it...
Done any epics besides that one (or the Windstalker Rumbler)?
Pumpkin King is basically a tough heroic.
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

31 and 32 were interesting levels for me, I haddn't updated my gear since level 22, so at 31 things were a little difficult. However during that time I had been pharming the Arcane Chapions Robe in Splitpaw, every time I sold one I ported in and got another. Most I sold for about 80 gold but a few I sold for a plat. Also during that time I would check the broker everytime I logged on to see if someone was selling some mastercrafted level 32 armor cheap. It's pretty expensive but usualy there will be one guy every couple of days that must need cash so that peice is cheaper. By time I turned 32 I had a full set and my GL made me (I had most of the rares from buying and trading them the past 10 levels and a guildy gave me 2 more) full MC earing, collar, bangles and rings. Which gave me well over 200 on STA, STR and AGI. When I went back out after putting all my new stuff on the same mobs that got me down 1 bubble didn't even touch me. The other thing, possibly more important than the armor is the weapons, and they are also the most expensive. Because we don't have high mitigation we need to get it over with quick, there is a claw around that level that is good but imbued Mastercrafted fist weapons (dual wield) are still my preference.

Also in regards to soloing don't forget to the devistation fist, think you can use it at 32 but it may be 36. If you don't have bloodlines you will need to get it off the broker, it's well worth it as it will kill any non ^ or high mob in 1 hit, even those a couple of levels above you. It saved my arse more than once killing crocs in the sinking sand caves because I would get 2 or 3 on me that were all a few levels higher.

Marb
Legenae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Legenae »

I still play on Perma and having a great time too. :)
Fenna
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fenna »

I have never bought gear off of the broker. I either make it myself or get it from quests (or drops), which is probably why I'm sucking wind out there. It's obvious that I have to figure out what gear I need and start spending some plat.
If you don't have bloodlines you will need to get it off the broker, it's well worth it as it will kill any non ^ or high mob in 1 hit, even those a couple of levels above you. It saved my arse more than once killing crocs in the sinking sand caves because I would get 2 or 3 on me that were all a few levels higher.
What is "bloodlines?" A combat art?
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

It's an expansion, like the splitpaw expansion. Once you get the shard in splitpaw you can teleport back to the area (have to earn the gnolls trust first) and you can also buy some spell that can only be purchased in the cave. The same is true for the bloodlines chronicles, the spell you can buy there is call Devistation Fist. It's just an extra spell, but a very very good one to have.

Marb
Fenna
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fenna »

Oh, duh. I have all the adventure packs and the expansions, including Bloodlines. I haven't noticed anything obvious that leads me to these "adventure pack" zones, though. I'll have to read up on them and find out where to go.

Thanks for the tips.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

When you're level 30 or so you should get a quest pop-up when you enter the Thundering Steppes for the Splitpaw pack. Bloodlines is, IMO, a pretty big stinking pile of shit. Was their first adventure pack tho, and each one after it gets better. I've only done some of Fallen Dynasty and it seems pretty good so far. Only problem I have with them is I'll probably never do the epic boss fights for them, so the sense of closures missing a bit :/
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Yea I don't have bloodlines but was able to get the spell, loved splitpaw though. I have FD because as soon as I get a little higher I want to do whatever quests I have to do to get that furnature for my house :)

Marb
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I dont mean this in a negative way.. But what makes EQ2 'better' than EQ? Not that I have any intention of playing it. Mostly just curiosity. Never had the desire to start over in a new game doing basically exactly the same thing. ie, killing mobs, getting xp, repeating.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Never had the desire to start over in a new game doing basically exactly the same thing. ie, killing mobs, getting xp, repeating.
Because there's a helluva lot more to do than grind XP.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

As it is in just a bout every other game... Ok then. Thanks!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

I like the familiarity of the world, but changed enough that it makes me want to learn more about why it's now the way it is. I like the "rediscovering" of content. For instance, when it dawned on me and I remembered where Varsoon the Undying was from in EQ1, the dungeon based around him in EQ2 took on a whole new meaning. Just one example of a small part of the EQ1 world I knew that's been really expanded on.

A big motivator is wanting to see how Kunark has changed when they finally release it. I loved that continent and can't wait. Long live Iksars!
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

I have to agree with Dregor, which is why I'm still paying EQ2 after 15 months and played WoW for around 4. I'm always finding stuff that reminds me of "the old days" but it's different. Exploring is new, hell I finally got a character high enough to go to Sinking Sands area and so much of the stuff was a throw back to the first couple of months of EQ for me it just made me smile at times... dry bones skeletons! Remember DBS? Starting in FP I remember running from those guys all too often and loved to just kick their arse, which I still do.

The questing, remember I haven't played EQ in years, is sooooo much different and fun. With all the different quests and the different kinds. I find myself rarely killing just to level, there is almost always a quest tied to it.

Marb
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I finally got a character high enough to go to Sinking Sands area and so much of the stuff was a throw back to the first couple of months of EQ for me it just made me smile at times... dry bones skeletons! Remember DBS? Starting in FP I remember running from those guys all too often and loved to just kick their arse, which I still do.
Remeber Rahotep?

You'll have to take down a considerably more beefy Rahotep to get his sceptre. :D

I love Sinking Sands.

If you haven't already, head to the big island in the SE corner of the zone. On the northern tip, there is a little genie bottle on the shore. Rub the bottle. :D An awesome little quest/instance with some nice item rewards.
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

Well, thanks for the advice. I started on Lucan D'lere now, made a shadowknight named Kilandar and a wizard named Tegellan. We will see how it goes, if anyone is around, feel free to send me a tell and say hi.
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

I'm on Lucan as well, give me a shout sometime, characters I usually play are listed below.

Miir, yea done that one, it's great. Kind of like the Splitpaw Arena.

Marb
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

Made a Troubadur now, it seems like a very fun class to play. Is it only Dirges that are really important for raids? Or are Troubadurs too? I am not sure I ever want to raid, but i would like to get my options open.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

I played on Lucan with Marbus many a day ago!

I quit a while ago due to the avoidance agi-nerf for Monks, but apparently they got a boost again! :D

Playing on Lucan was the Shiznit! Pretty fun game with nice martial arts-anims.

What i liked most about the entire game was that you could do three spinning back-kicks in a row!
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I quit a while ago due to the avoidance agi-nerf for Monks
Yeah because having 90% avoidance on mobs your level or lower was really balanced. :roll:
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Every class can bring something to a raid that helps. The only problem with bards is that they would be slow to solo mobs because their DPS is less than a spastic retard armed with a trout.
Adelrune Argenti
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Adelrune Argenti »

Estheria and I are playing it. We took well over a year off from it but came back like 6 months ago and started up new characters in Freeport.
We are on Permafrost and can be found as:

Maelona - level 32 Necromancer

Adelrune - level 32 Wizard
Skree - level 28 Ratonga Bruiser

We aren't guilded but are looking for some old friends to play with hopefully so look us up.
Adelrune Argenti
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

What are some good ressource sites for EQ2? I visited Alla, but it doesn't seem to have any good info on class trees and spells etc. I must admit i cannot really remember any other sites.

I chose to start more or less blind, just to get that feeling of being "in a new world", but I am reaching the point where i need more info now, so i can make some educated decisions and such.
Zygar
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Zygar »

eq2.ogaming.com :database for quests,mobs,items, etc.
http://www.eq2ref.com :skill/spell lists
eq2.gamepressure.com :maps
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

Who is on Permafrost? And under what names? Made a Dirge named Tegellan there, so if you see me poking about, send me a shout, or drop your name here.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I'm on Perma.

I've been mostly playing my Inquisitor (Yooh) and Wizard (Mento) lately. I have a horde of tradeskill alts. I have tier 6 tailor, jeweler and sage and a tier 4 armorer. If you need any stuff made, let me know.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

My Gnome Wizard, Boogski, is on Permafrost.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

Like i said, I'm on Perma. Niffoni.

Welcome to the dork side.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams