Vanguard screenshots...

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Vanguard screenshots...

Post by Animalor »

GU exclusives passed on by Brad himself to Woody last night.

http://www.gucomics.com/images/screenshots/vanguard/

Is it just me or thise this stuff just reek of EQ1. The models look like the Luclin art, the world looks very similar to EQ1 and the icon style looks very reminicent of the t.king icon set.

I dunno what type of wonder this shit looks like in motion when playing but it's very very underwhelming from what was posted there.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I got out before Luclin so these all look new to me. I like the models personally.
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Heh my guess is that those SS were taken on a PC with 4GB of RAM, a Core 2 Extreme Edition and dual 7950 GTXs... and the framerate was probably still 20fps... I do like them though :)
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Those really look kind of ass. Although I like them more than the ugly crap in WOW.

I see Dantrin in one of them!
Ebumar
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ebumar »

Unoptimized beta models.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

The icons look like T.King's stuff because Sigil hired him :P

edit. Ok, now that I've looked at them, I think you're pretty off on the models. They look way better than Luclin models. I've heard the animations at this time are terrible, tho it's still in beta so we'll see.

Of course, at the resolution I'd have to play it at, it probably will look like EQ1 for me :(
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Things look much better by far in the game. Optimization still needs to be done of course, but it's still great to look at.
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Personally I like the EQ2 models much better.

Marb
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Possibly not Luclin but there is a definate sence of deja-vu about these models that is bugging the hell out of me.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Might be fun for old timey EQ players.

I think hiring T.King was a mistake. His UI's and icons, while nice looking, weren't the best practical ones.

It won't be big, but there may be a niche for this game as WoW certainly is shit compared to the original EQ and looks horribly distorted. if WoW had Lineage II/Guild War character models and graphics, it'd be much easier on the eyes while maintaining the cartoony look.

Vanguard = EQ v1.5

They better offer a free trial when it's done if they hope to get anyone hooked.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Winnow wrote:I think hiring T.King was a mistake. His UI's and icons, while nice looking, weren't the best practical ones.
FYI, he doesn't work for them anymore (this was actually a year ago or possibly even longer). Something about Sigil wanting him in house while he refused. Yes, obviously, they'll use some of his stuff but they're just going to modify everything more to the point where you may not see much tking at all.

Edit: it will be 1 year on the 31st.
miir and I are best friends. <3
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

eh yeah. I think EQ v1.5 is the best way to caption those screenshots.
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

I think the game looks marginally less bad than EQ2 with original models.

Not so bad as to dissuade me from playing all on their own though.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Not doing it for me. The pic with the griffon might as well be a re-textured Eastern or Western Commonlands. The ones with the dark-elven wizard watching Aradune fight was like... If you squint, it's EQ all over again.

I don't have an agenda. I'd love to like what I'm seeing from Sigil but I'm just underwhelmed every time I see something from them. :(
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
MooZilla
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by MooZilla »

you gotta remember that most of these screens have placeholder textures. i can't find where i read that, but i know a reliable source was told that they aren't anywhere near having the finished textures.

i think once they have a few more months to really get their shit together, there will be some impressive eye candy. i'm hoping that most of us will still be able to run it.
i am a liberal.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

MooZilla wrote: i think once they have a few more months to really get their shit together, there will be some impressive eye candy. i'm hoping that most of us will still be able to run it.
If it takes a few more months, this game should be released straight to the "classics" bargain bin.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Winnow wrote:
MooZilla wrote: i think once they have a few more months to really get their shit together, there will be some impressive eye candy. i'm hoping that most of us will still be able to run it.
If it takes a few more months, this game should be released straight to the "classics" bargain bin.
Heaven forbid they invest time into their product. I know you're used to jumping from one incomplete buggy game to another, but some of us, particularly those who want to invest some time into an MMO, like our games finalized prior to release, regardless of how long it takes.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

MooZilla wrote:you gotta remember that most of these screens have placeholder textures. i can't find where i read that, but i know a reliable source was told that they aren't anywhere near having the finished textures.

i think once they have a few more months to really get their shit together, there will be some impressive eye candy. i'm hoping that most of us will still be able to run it.
I'm not sure if you were replying to me or not, but to be clear...

They could texture it with RL photos and I'd still not like it. If I squint my eyes, it's the Commons all over again. Been there done that and not doing it again.

People can say what you want about WoW's graphics. It was at least nice that it looked different than what we'd been playing before.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Mr Bacon wrote:Heaven forbid they invest time into their product. I know you're used to jumping from one incomplete buggy game to another, but some of us, particularly those who want to invest some time into an MMO, like our games finalized prior to release, regardless of how long it takes.
I commend them.

They (or any other developer for that matter) can take from now until forever, but there will never, ever, ever be an MMOG released that is bug free and without balance issues.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

I won't deny the fact that no MMO will ever be completely 100% finished by the time it's released.

I WILL however, argue that you can get an MMO so close to completion that it would by far pass the trash some companies put out year after year on the consoles and PC. I've always supported the "take as much time as you need" approach that some companies take, and 90% of the time, it pays off.

I guess I'm one of the few who still want to put some time into certain games. I know a lot of you since your EQ days have had significant lifestyle changes -- children, marriage, job changes, etc. Personally, I miss my hardcore EQ days, and I haven't found a game strong enough yet to captivate me for nightly play - at least play that I look forward to until I can play each night.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Other than the horrible queuing, I consider WoW the benchmark for a fully-featured MMOG release.

City of Heroes for a less-featured release.

I'm all for them taking all the time they need, btw. I'm just saying they can take all the time they want and there will still be balance issues and bugs. I'm basing this on the fact the fact that every MMOG ever released to date has suffered from these issues.

Either way, I'd classify those screenshots as 'disappointingly unremarkable with no shred of artistic innovation'. If that's the best that can be done with current technology it's sad that they're wholly-uninspiring. It's been a while since I've seen graphics that left me speechless, but those are nowhere close.
Fenna
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fenna »

The character designs, at least in those shots, really do remind me of Kieth Parkinson's work. And it makes sense that they might appear "boring" to some folks. His work stressed a level of "realism" that you didn't see in a lot of other popular fantasy work.

The blue cloak the one character is wearing REALLY smacks of Parkinson. And that realism was one of the reasons I loved his work. That "North Watch" painting we've all seen is a perfect example. He made fantasty themes look all the better, ironically, by making them look more mundane. If that's what Vanguard is going for, I think they got it.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

noel wrote:Either way, I'd classify those screenshots as 'disappointingly unremarkable with no shred of artistic innovation'. If that's the best that can be done with current technology it's sad that they're wholly-uninspiring. It's been a while since I've seen graphics that left me speechless, but those are nowhere close.
I think having your lead artist get the cancer and die on you two years into a 4-5 year project could have that affect. :(

I don't know what can be done at this point to salvage it though.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

I had no idea... I've not been following it that closely, but that sucks.

I think during any artistic undertaking involving a team it's critical to have a single point that offers a consistent vision to unite all of the participants and ensure that there's a uniform look and feel to the product.

At this point it really does look like a retextured EQ1.
Midgen
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: MidgenPlays

Post by Midgen »

You people are on crack if you think that looks anything at all like EQ1, Pre or Post Luclin.

It does look considerably like EQ2 screens in many ways. Based on the amount of details on these screens, I think I'm going to need new hardware! :p
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

anyone else notice a striking similarity between that UI and WoWs?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Yes, the UI's are similar. Yes, the models look a lot like rehashed EQ1 models. If the game has anything going for it, it's....um....it's a new flavor.
Gemily
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Gemily »

Winnow wrote: if WoW had Lineage II/Guild War character models and graphics, it'd be much easier on the eyes while maintaining the cartoony look.

Pfft not so, even without L2/Guild Wars graphics you can still have eye candy in the cartoony way. Check out my paladin.

Wonder Woman look FTW
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

i'd hit it
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Gemily wrote:
Winnow wrote: if WoW had Lineage II/Guild War character models and graphics, it'd be much easier on the eyes while maintaining the cartoony look.

Pfft not so, even without L2/Guild Wars graphics you can still have eye candy in the cartoony way. Check out my paladin.

Wonder Woman look FTW
*uses Lineage 2 filter on image*

ah, better!

Gemily
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Gemily »

cute