Terrorist plot in England

What do you think about the world?
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Terrorist plot in England

Post by Kelshara »

LONDON, England (CNN) -- British police say they have arrested 21 people in connection with a terrorist plot to blow up aircraft flying from the United Kingdom to the United States.
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europ ... index.html

Glad I am not flying out for another couple of months.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Time to ramp up the fear machine before mid terms, since its all the Neocons have left to fall back on. Expect a heaping side order of homophobia to go with it in about a month or two.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Jice Virago wrote:Time to ramp up the fear machine before mid terms, since its all the Neocons have left to fall back on. Expect a heaping side order of homophobia to go with it in about a month or two.
So your saying this threat was not real?

Fuck off!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Interesting about the liquid explosive that isn't detectable the normal screening devices.

Jice states the obvious but if I was a corrupt and desperate republican presidential canditate in 2008, I'd have lots of confusion and swat teams surround the Sears Tower the week before the elections and then arrest Jice as a patsy demonstrating his plans to use his metal orc army miniature figures as shrapnel in a home made bomb.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Well it is no secret that the airport security is a joke and more window dressing than anything. However, some of the rules on flights out of UK right now are ridiculous and can not last in the long term.

However I did laugh when I read they raised the terror meter. That thing is such a joke and fear mongering tool..
Cotto
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cotto »

If you want to get into the U.K go to Southern Ireland (which is easy as fuck to get into...its Ireland for fucks sake...nobody cares enough to terrorise it!) Then walk...or if you feel like spending £7, to Belfast, hop on a coach (£30) your in manchester, and not once have u been checked for a passport or any of that I.D nonsense!
It could be that the only purpose for your every existence, is to serve as a warning to others.
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

watch out for shakes on a plane?
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but:
He's holding a SCAR-L ?!?!
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

noel wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but:
I guess someone told Geraldo to go make himself usefull.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Margaret Gavin, 67, waiting to board a train, said she wasn’t scared. “Why should I change my life because some idiots want to blow something up?” she said.
:D
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Cool stuff. Reminds me of the Rome Airport although they had military uniforms and shitty machine guns compared to that thing.

Looks funny holding that kind of weapon while wearing shorts.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

One of the times I went to Greece was during some issues between Cyprus and Greece. Was kind of amusing to walk through the airport and see full machine gun nests covered by sandbags and everything heh. Makes you careful of quick movements!
Hoarmurath
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Hoarmurath »

H&K G36K

laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

Animalor wrote:
And to put on a UPS uniform while he was at it.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

That H&K stuff ain't cheap!

Cool that they give those out to bicycle cops.
en kærlighed småkager
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

A hot girlie friend of mine was on that plane... she's feelin lucky now...
Sick Balls!
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Thanks Hoar, I wasn't thinking of the HKs.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
redeemed
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by redeemed »

Animalor wrote:
my first thought on that pic was reno 911
and I'm sharing since we already derailed, kinda :razz:
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

Everyone hates the current color coded threat indicators. I think we should just do away with them. Instead the airlines could just incorporate a Last Will & Testament clause in your ticket stub. And perhaps people should be forced to actually read a conservative newspaper on a regular basis so they can be properly informed.

No! Seriously I agree the threat indicators are stupid, I mean who expects we will ever see it "Green" in our lifetimes? So what's the difference between Orange and Red to the average person?

But you have to give Rove credit for coming up with this idea, he can swing millions of votes with the flip of a switch!

Edit typo - changed thread to threat.
Last edited by Metanis on August 11, 2006, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Metanis wrote:And perhaps people should be forced to actually read a conservative newspaper on a regular basis so they can be properly informed.
Informed about what? That someone with your IQ has about 10,000 times the chance of choking to death on a pretzel as being killed by a terrorist?
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Zaelath wrote:
Metanis wrote:And perhaps people should be forced to actually read a conservative newspaper on a regular basis so they can be properly informed.
Informed about what? That someone with your IQ has about 10,000 times the chance of choking to death on a pretzel as being killed by a terrorist?
Your Right!! Thanks to the conservative measures to protect our airports.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

At least he has good trigger discipline :?
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Cartalas wrote:
Zaelath wrote:
Your Right!! Thanks to the conservative measures to protect our airports.
You do realize airport security is a joke, right? Please tell me that you are just trolling again..
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kelshara wrote: You do realize airport security is a joke, right? Please tell me that you are just trolling again..
How is it a joke? How many planes have blown up since the new measures were put in place after 911 in the U.S.?

I don't care how many reporters can sneak nuclear bombs through security. I'm talking actual terrorist attacks since 911 in airports/on planes.
Markulas
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Markulas »

yeah guys! c'mon, I mean just because reporters can carry on nuclear bombs through airport security doesn't mean terrorists can. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

But anyways, wouldn't the inability to have carry-ons eventually speed up wait lines?
I'm going to live forever or die trying
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Can't listen to my ipod on a plane anymore :(
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

Zaelath wrote:
You sir are incredibly naive. You drill in to the fat of the subject like an obscene mosquito while totally missing the blood, bone, and sinew. What a waste of human potential...

The issue isn't the relative chances of a particular method of death. The issue is 2 fold. Citizens have a right to be informed. Governments have a repsonsibility to inform with clarity and conciseness. The present system fails in every regard.

The project would be to determine additional methods of informing the public that work better and are not subject to Rovian political manipulation.

In your typical Liberal arrested development mindset you can't even frame the question clearly let alone devise alternative solutions.

Also your statistic is meaningless from a public policy standpoint. Seen any news flashes of someone forced to choke on a pretzel by a fanatical snack salesman?
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

If you're trying to make any point you have failed.

What exactly are you trying to say? That was a selection of completely unrelated words bashed into a couple of very loosely associated sentences with little direction....

Not to be a dick...but in all honesty, what?
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

Nick wrote:If you're trying to make any point you have failed.

What exactly are you trying to say? That was a selection of completely unrelated words bashed into a couple of very loosely associated sentences with little direction....

Not to be a dick...but in all honesty, what?
Not to be a dick... but have you actually read this thread?

In the 2nd post Jice commented regarding ramping up the fear factor and 3 posts later Kelshara said she laughed when they raised the terror meter. Then there was a whole mash of posts loosely related to airport security.

Then I posted a generally sarcastic post about the threat indicators (just now realizing I had a typo once saying thread indicators when I meant Threat Indicators) and at least trying to point out that people need to make informed decisions about their own direction.

Finally, Zaelath in a bit of infantile sputtering tried to derail into a moral equivalence comment that terrorism isn't worth being informed about.

And we end with the post which you seem too mentally taxed to understand.

It's like spoon feeding children here :(
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

I can handle the condescension, I just don't think it's particularly relevant here.

You asked for ridiculous replies when you assumed that real news only comes from "conservative" outlets, when everybody long ago figured out you look at both sides, distill the bullshit and come to your own conclusion.

Your attack on Zealath was equally, if not more pointless as his post to you. I know you think you're old and wise and everything, but what point beyond "anyone who doesn't read what I read is a moron" are you trying to make?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The Threat Level nonsense is basically just that: nonsense. It's a political tool. What exactly does the average person do differently if it's green versus when it is red? The answer to that is "nothing". Communicate it amongst law enforcement agencies sure but I'm not sure anyone else really pays attention.

You should always be on the lookout for, and report, suspicious activities regardless of the silly threat level indicator.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Aslanna wrote:The Threat Level nonsense is basically just that: nonsense. It's a political tool. What exactly does the average person do differently if it's green versus when it is red? The answer to that is "nothing". Communicate it amongst law enforcement agencies sure but I'm not sure anyone else really pays attention.

You should always be on the lookout for, and report, suspicious activities regardless of the silly threat level indicator.
The average person might do nothing when the threat level increases, but law enforcement does. How law enforcement reacts will determine the actual impact on the average person.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

That's sorta what I'm saying. But that's not how it's used. It's plastered all over the media when the threat level increases. Unless you're saying that they'll the average person will have a better understanding of why law enforcement officials are acting as they are.

Although really how much different does law enforcement act? Do the poilce officers in your town do things differently when the level is raised? I'm going to say most of them probably don't unless it's directed in specific areas such as it is currently with airline travel.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

Nick wrote:I can handle the condescension, I just don't think it's particularly relevant here.
I'm sorry.

Nick wrote:You asked for ridiculous replies when you assumed that real news only comes from "conservative" outlets, when everybody long ago figured out you look at both sides, distill the bullshit and come to your own conclusion.
I used that word on purpose because you seriously cannot depend on the MSM to be fully informed. Even if it's not obviously tilted one way or the other it displays interesting bias in the facts it chooses to ignore.

Nick wrote:Your attack on Zealath was equally, if not more pointless as his post to you. I know you think you're old and wise and everything, but what point beyond "anyone who doesn't read what I read is a moron" are you trying to make?
I think he's a drone. I'm sorry but it was enormously satisfying to attack him. I realize it's a sin, but I'm not above the sin of pettiness at times. I also greatly dislike his obviously contemptible logic mechanism in attempting to downplay the seriousness of terrorism.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Aslanna wrote:That's sorta what I'm saying. But that's not how it's used. It's plastered all over the media when the threat level increases. Unless you're saying that they'll the average person will have a better understanding of why law enforcement officials are acting as they are.

Although really how much different does law enforcement act? Do the poilce officers in your town do things differently when the level is raised? I'm going to say most of them probably don't unless it's directed in specific areas such as it is currently with airline travel.
They do act different here. I don't know if it's because Austin is the state capital or what. They open up the Homeland Security Bunker and make people go to work and don't let them leave until the level is brought back down to pink!

I am not saying that the media plastering the color-coded nonsense has any effect on any "civilian." I am just saying that when the level changes, there are required changes that come along with it. Those changes are at different levels of the gov't and law enforcement.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Aslanna wrote:The Threat Level nonsense is basically just that: nonsense. It's a political tool. What exactly does the average person do differently if it's green versus when it is red?
Vote for a president that lied to them about intelligence evidence and ruined their economy?
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Metanis wrote:
Nick wrote:Your attack on Zealath was equally, if not more pointless as his post to you. I know you think you're old and wise and everything, but what point beyond "anyone who doesn't read what I read is a moron" are you trying to make?
I think he's a drone. I'm sorry but it was enormously satisfying to attack him. I realize it's a sin, but I'm not above the sin of pettiness at times. I also greatly dislike his obviously contemptible logic mechanism in attempting to downplay the seriousness of terrorism.
ROFLMAO; people should read more right wing news print so they can be "informed" what to be afraid of this week, and I'm the drone? So evil using logic and rationalism to assess a threat, laff.

AHAHAHAHAHA, fuck, if you weren't so pathetic and also so representative of your race, it would be hysterical.

Quick, DUCK AND COVER, Metanis! RUN! HIDE! THERE'S REDS UNDER THE BED.

Fucking sheep.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Winnow wrote:Interesting about the liquid explosive that isn't detectable the normal screening devices.

Jice states the obvious but if I was a corrupt and desperate republican presidential canditate in 2008, I'd have lots of confusion and swat teams surround the Sears Tower the week before the elections and then arrest Jice as a patsy demonstrating his plans to use his metal orc army miniature figures as shrapnel in a home made bomb.
The figures are far too expensive to waste that way. I would just use my 360 for those parts.

But seriously, no one can ever be safe from a determined terrorist. Its all a question of how much liberty you are willing to sacrifice to sate your fear. Next they will be smuggling it on sewn into clothing, so everyone will need to be naked on the plane. Then they will be shoving baloons of it up their ass, so no more bathroom use on the plane.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Al
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Al »

I agree. While I would much rather hear about a plot being foiled than the nonsense I awakened to about 5 years ago, I'm not a big fan of needing a background check to get a bank account, or standing in line for 2 hours at the Buffalo Airport so I can wait outside the security checkpoint to the gates for an hour on a delayed flight....
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

Zaelath wrote:So evil using logic and rationalism to assess a threat, laff.
Actually yes you are correct, it can be evil as you attempted to portray it. I'm wondering now if you are really as stupid as you present yourself?
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Metanis wrote:
Zaelath wrote:So evil using logic and rationalism to assess a threat, laff.
Actually yes you are correct, it can be evil as you attempted to portray it. I'm wondering now if you are really as stupid as you present yourself?
I know you can't be...