My new ride!!

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

My new ride!!

Post by Neziroth »

Just picked one of these up a few weeks ago: (2006 Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged)

Image -- My interior has blue inserts, not red. It's leather also.

It's a 2.0L 4CYL with 12PSI of boost coming from an Eaton Supercharger putting it at 205 Horsepower and 200 FT/LB Torque from the showroom floor.

0-60 in 5.8 sec
1/4 Mile at about 14.3 sec at something like 110mph

It was $22000 OTD, and will absolutely stomp any car in that price range (except SRT-4 with a good driver)

GM has a "Stage 2 Upgrade kit" for $700 that doesn't void the warranty, ups the boost to 14.5 PSI, raises the redline from 6500RPM to 7000RPM, raises horsepower to 250, raises torque to 235, adds High pressure fuel injectors and reflashes the car's computer.

I'll be getting that in about two weeks.

I <3 this car.
<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/~mjlb">See the other side...</a>

Feel free to share your thoughts~
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Cool car, I hope you enjoy it. Don't become the next Pilsburry in it though.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neziroth »

Thanks Noel, I don't plan on doing any high speed drunk racing in it, RIP Pils.

I didn't really want a fast car to drive fast all the time and race every 17 year old kid in a civic. I just like having all that power available I guess. It's fun to throw it in 2nd or 3rd every now and again and let the car throw you back in your seat.

Or to hit a nice curvy road (while sober) and stir up the gearbox a little bit and do some driving that actually requires the use of all four limbs and a lot of brain matter. (That's why I have a Kawi Ninja too :twisted: )

Hopefully over 11,000 miles on sportbikes and 55000+ miles in high performance cars at the age of 21 (I buy them myself, just so stop anybody whos gonna flame me for having "mommy and daddy buy it") says something about my common sense.

I guess I can't describe what it is about horsepower and torque I love, but I can tell you it's *not* going 100+ miles per hour.

Get what I mean?

Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

That car looks about 100 X better than a SRT4 heh.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Let us know how it drives on the twisties...the wheelbase is still a chevy cavalier, so I'm interested to know what chevy did to the suspension and tires to help with slide.

Also, I imagine it has a shit ton of understeer from being FWD?
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

How are they increasing the boost? Boost jets or different pulley?

$700 including injectors is an INCREDIBLE price.

My damned injectors alone ran $855 with full set of new O-rings and my ECU was $1300.

Sounds like they are doing it up right.

Did they go with an iron or aluminum block on that?
Sendarie
Denadeb
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Denadeb »

They are raising the boost by using a smaller pully and belt along with the larger injecters and ecu recalibration. The platform the Cobalt uses is also completely diffrent than the Cavalier. The Cobalt uses the newer Delta platform while the Cavalier used an older J platform.

Here is the engine data

2.0L ECOTEC Supercharged Engine
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Equipped to move, this 205-horsepower all-aluminum dual overhead cam, four-cylinder engine is built off the strengths of the original, naturally aspirated 2.2L ECOTEC engine.

The Eaton M62 supercharger spins at a low rpm, which improves durability and creates less noise while allowing for plenty of top-end power. Power delivery of the supercharged engine is instantaneous. Maximum boost of the supercharger is 12 psi.

Also included on this supercharged engine:

9.5:1 compression ratio
A direct-mount oil cooler
Oil jets for piston cooling
Heavy-duty pistons
Strong connecting rods
Forged-steel crankshaft
Large oil sump
Sodium-filled exhaust valves for improved durability
A high-strength aluminum cylinder head
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neziroth »

Most of the questions have already been answered.

I think the car is based on the Saturn Ion platform, (almost the same car as the Ion Redline) The Cobalt SS comes with Sport Tuned Suspension which greatly helps handling. There is a little body roll, but it's necessary to keep the car from being super stiff during day to day driving.

The 18 inch wheels could be a little winder, they're like 6 or 6.5 inches I think, I had 8 inch wide wheels on my old car and they were much better as far as handling went.

The clutch is nice and tight and NOT Hydraulic (my last car had a hydraulic clutch which I absolutely hated). If you hit second gear at the redline you can break the tires loose and smoke them up to and through third gear. That turns some heads :twisted:

Understeer really isn't all that bad, (no worse than any other high powered FWD) I opted NOT to go for the Limited Slip front diff (it came with recaro racing seats which I thought looked cheap and didn't want them at all) and am already regretting it, I've lost traction a few times at the apex of a curve when I'm getting on the gas, it's a scary thing.

The block is a 2.0L aluminum, and the exhaust note is absolutely perfect. The stock muffler is the size of a glasspack, it rumbles at low RPMs and screams at higher revs.

Yeah $700 for the upgrade is great, the boost comes from a smaller pulley taking it from 10.5 or 11.5 or whatever it is to something like 14.5 PSI. The best part is the warranty covers it.

In it's stock form on an empty thruway one night I took it up to 138mph and it was still pulling. Internet says 145mph top speed (drag limited) in stock form is achievable.

It gets an average of 26MPG on 91 octane fuel (Acceleration decreases are noticable on anything over or under 91)

The rear left and right blindspots are awful, the spoiler blocks the rearview mirror and while checking for cars in my blindspots during lane changes I often mistake the spoiler for the roof of a car.

I absolutely love this car and can't wait to sink some cash into it. It's the perfect daily driver / weekend toy car.

Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

FWD without limited slip + major TCS is a deathtrap, my biggest complaint about the Si is no VSA... despite the limited slip it still has issues without VSA. I would hate to think I had neither
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I test drove one of these today, and it drives a lot better than I expected. Once I got up to 4k rpms, it just flew. The extra boost you could feel at that point was too nice. I would get into too much trouble with it. I was even going to get a good deal on that level 2 kit from GM with it...that would have only gotten me in more trouble. I test drove the non supercharged SS as well, and I felt like I was back in my gf's Aveo...