Focus effects and attunable items

Everquest related info only here, quests, help, info, recruiting, etc.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Focus effects and attunable items

Post by Trek »

What the hell are these and how do I make em ect.....

:lol:
retiredwikit
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by retiredwikit »

For which items? Focus effects come from various things, be it a focus already on the armor, or a focus you add in with an augmentation. The Focus effect augmentations, at least the good ones now a days cost upwards of 200k to make these are called type 12 augmentations. Then you need to buy the armor to put them in.

There is a lot of attunable items in the game, most come from epic 1.5/2.0 chests. Some are player crafted, the most common attunable items are the master / grandmaster armor made by players, which also uses the above type 12 augmentations. (Note: Attunable means that these items can be freely traded/bought/sold, but as soon as it is equipped to a character, it becomes no drop.)

Just an examples:

Grandmaster's Driftwalker Cuirass

Which as you look at the item, it has 3 aug slots. All of the player crafted armor comes with these 3 aug slots.

The type 7 augmentation, is more of a general aug can be found most anywhere, and often purchased from the DoN or LDoN vendors.

The type 11 aug, is player crafted, much like this one. Grandmaster's Chest Symbol of Integrity This Aug is based on your deity, and the piece of armor your putting it in. My beastlord worships Mith Marr, so that's the aug I would have to use.

The type 12 aug, is the aug that will give you your focus effects. This aug Bazu Seal of Cleaving gives the focus effect of cleave. These are one of the most expensive augs, which requires a no drop stone, from upper DoDH and PoR raids, then you need the mechanoinstructions for the focus effect of your choice, and finally you need to either make Ambleshift's Amazing Automated Amalgamator or buy it from the bazaar. These have a high trivial and aren't cheap to make.

Note: There are augmentations that drop in game that give focus effects, but I have rarely seen any that are any good. But, I will be entering Demi-plane for the first time this weekend, I hope, maybe there are some there of note.

Edit: Added in the no drop part about attunable stuff.
Last edited by retiredwikit on July 7, 2006, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Character Hanelce.
Aneron
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Aneron »

Retiredwikit hit it on the head, good quick write up. Attuneable armor is the "new" no drop armor. You can loot it, give it to another toon, but as soon as it's equipt, it's yours. It can no longer be traded or sold at that point.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I think it makes some sense now, I bought some newer items for my monk/ranger/war/druid and some have slots so I was wondering what they where. So I guess I need to find the right ones for the slot type? So lets say I get a type 7 aug, how do I apply it, is it the same as with focus effects? or do I need something else?

Thanks
Aneron
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Aneron »

The slot 7 aug types can my a myrid of things, +HP/+mana/+endurance, stat increases (i.e. LDoN augs), and even the afore mentioned focus effects.

Look at the slot types in the armor (my guess it's all slot 7) then look at any potential augs you want to use and make sure they are type 7 or "any type".

Once you know they match up there are then pools where you can left click and it brings up a two slot container window where you can place the armor and the aug and combine them. To take them off each aug has a different level distiller that will remove it from the armor, and increases in price paralell to how good the aug is. I think the highest distiller is 4k for each one.....at the higher level it can be a nice money sink. Anyhow the pools are located in several spots...most notably are in the LDoN camps, there is one in Lavastorm near the NPC's that give the beginning tasks for DoN progression, and finally if you are in a guild there is a pool on the back wall as you zone in, in the Guild Hall (there is also a distiller merchant in the Guild Hall).

Hope that helps.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Thats great info thanks, now I need to get a few expansions I suppose since I really stopped playing around Velios I have 7-8 to get. I think I can grab that platinum pack and just activate what I need, probably the cheapest route
Aneron
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Aneron »

Yes platinum is the way to go.

Have you started new toons or are these your old toons you are playing? If you do nothing else I would suggest you make a new toon and run through the new tutorial, it will give you a better sense of how the game works now with quests and a few other things.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

old toons, have some friends that are going to play soon that have never played an online game so I will be starting a new character with them....A Vah Shir beastlord I think, or zerker.
retiredwikit
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by retiredwikit »

Trek wrote:old toons, have some friends that are going to play soon that have never played an online game so I will be starting a new character with them....A Vah Shir beastlord I think, or zerker.

To many Vah'Shir Beastlords running around. Plus they have a stupid bug that shows them naked most of the time. But, of course what you play is completely up to you.

I love my beast, although, if I had to go back and reroll, I would have probably chosen ogre or troll, whichever gets you the innate frontal stun resist.
Current Character Hanelce.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

ogre
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Iksar. If the class can be Iksar, that's your race! The beauty of EQ2 is ALL classes can be Iksar!
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I could roll an Ogre, I picked Vah Shir just because I have never played that race, I really havent played an Ogre that much so that could be an acceptable race.....

now the question would be Beastlord or Zerker. I still lean toward Beastlord, but I really dont know much about Zerkers in EQ. Probably doesnt matter I will end up with 1 of each at some point im sure
Aneron
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Aneron »

Trek, Zerkers are a pretty damn fun class. I have played a Paladin since release and just recently started a Zerker after getting destroyed in a duel with one, who was undergeared compared to me.

I don't know if the account you are using has Veteran AA's, but with all 7 Vet aa's on my account I easily solo'd up to 53 (with some grouping) in a couple days played time.

The ability to stun, snare, and generally knock the tar out of a mob has been pretty appealing. Once into the 50's you start to get disc's that give a glimpse of the DPS possibilites of the class. Once you get into the 60's and accumulate AA's the class is outstanding DPS with the ability to tank and keep aggro, or to lose aggro via a jolt type ability.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Thanks Aneron, perhaps I will try the Zerk out. So far my friends have been laggin so me and my kid have been goofing around. I have been getting AA's (since these are pretty much new to me) on my Druid Oakwyn and farted around with my 52 ranger (Nulien) and 56 monk (Komodo). But since I dont have any regular type groups the druid is the most fun. Is there any old Veeshan guilds that are decent that take 50-56 level characters? I am guessing no, but I really dont know much of whats going on and with me in no real hurry to get to 70 I dont think I am that desirable. I am looking for a guild that I can group/raid with with no real pressure to zip up to 70 which would be no fun for me......

Thanks!