I guess fishing is the most important thing there is...

What do you think about the world?
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

I guess fishing is the most important thing there is...

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

From Reuters, quoting German newspaper Bild:
Bush's best moment in office? Reeling in big perch

BERLIN (Reuters) - President Bush told a German newspaper his best moment in more than five years in office was catching a big perch in his own lake.

"You know, I've experienced many great moments and it's hard to name the best," Bush told weekly Bild am Sonntag when asked about his high point since becoming president in January 2001.

"I would say the best moment of all was when I caught a 7.5 pound perch in my lake," he told the newspaper in an interview published on Sunday.

Bush said the worst moment was September 11 when hijacked planes crashed into the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon in Washington.

"In such a situation it takes a while before one understands what is happening," Bush said. "I would say that this was the hardest moment, once I had the real picture before my eyes."

Because Bild could not immediately furnish English quotes, Bush's comments were translated from the German. The paper said the White House planned to release an authorized English version of the interview on Monday.
I can't believe this guy is really that stupid. Someone wake me up...please.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

It's the little things in life that mean the most.
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: I guess fishing is the most important thing there is...

Post by Hesten »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:From Reuters, quoting German newspaper Bild:

BERLIN (Reuters) - President Bush told a German newspaper his best moment in more than five years in office was catching a big perch in his own lake.

"You know, I've experienced many great moments and it's hard to name the best," Bush told weekly Bild am Sonntag when asked about his high point since becoming president in January 2001.

"I would say the best moment of all was when I caught a 7.5 pound perch in my lake," he told the newspaper in an interview published on Sunday.

Bush said the worst moment was September 11 when hijacked planes crashed into the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon in Washington.

"In such a situation it takes a while before one understands what is happening," Bush said. "I would say that this was the hardest moment, once I had the real picture before my eyes."

Because Bild could not immediately furnish English quotes, Bush's comments were translated from the German. The paper said the White House planned to release an authorized English version of the interview on Monday.
I can believe that.
*Shakes Drolgin hard, but it seems hes not dreaming*
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I don't understand the outrage here? Are you a PETA member Drolgin?
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Looks like he's got his priorities straight to me :)
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

At least this was something he actually *did* rather than something he signed off on as he was told.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:I can't believe this guy is really that stupid. Someone wake me up...please.
If that was true and not just the slanted, negative, bitter perspective of a bunch of America haters and Republican haters.......
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Sylvus wrote:
Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:I can't believe this guy is really that stupid. Someone wake me up...please.
If that was true and not just the slanted, negative, bitter perspective of a bunch of America haters and Republican haters.......
*smirk*
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

midnyte we need your non-biased, centrist opinion, please.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

kyoukan wrote:midnyte we need your non-biased, centrist opinion, please.
I'm sorry, I don't really one on this topic. It seems like a total non-story to me.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

So he was happy he caught a fish? Why should people care? Do you have a better reason he should find something else joyful? It isn't like he became a daddy again or something like that.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:From Reuters, quoting German newspaper Bild:

I can see this being said in a number of ways. It all depends on what the actual translation was. For instance, if he was asked about the best "personal" moment in the last five years, catching that fish could be it due to not having many personal moments at all in the last five years.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

I think Clinton's best moment in office had something to do with a cigar and a stain.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Lynks wrote:I think Clinton's best moment in office had something to do with a cigar and a stain.
haha. It would be mine.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

i don't see whats so bad about this
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Zaelath wrote:At least this was something he actually *did* rather than something he signed off on as he was told.
That's a rather large assumption you're making. I'd be surprised if Georgie caught the fish and didn't have someone catch it for him. I mean.. after holding onto the hook and throwing 5 or 6 poles into the water, someone would have had to step in..
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

As Boogahz said, it depends on context, but if his answer was to the question of what his best moment in office was and he considers "catching a fish" the one, there's something wrong with him. It would also explain a lot. Come to think of it, I think he's right on. Catching that fish *is* probably the best thing he's done while in office.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

Here is the transcrpit of the exchange:
"Q Three last very short questions. What was the most wonderful moment in your terms of being President so far, and what was the most awful moment?

" THE PRESIDENT: The most awful moment was September the 11th, 2001.

" Q The famous picture when somebody gave you the information?

" THE PRESIDENT: Yes, that. I think, like all of us, it took a while for the -- it was more than a moment. It was the event and the aftermath. On a situation like that, it takes a period to understand exactly what was going on. When somebody says, America is under attack, and -- you've got to fully understand what that meant. And the information coming was haphazard at best for a while. We weren't sure if the State Department got hit. I'd heard the White House had got attacked. Of course, I was worried that -- my family was here.

" And so I would say the toughest moment of all was after the whole reality sunk in and I was trying to help the nation understand what was going on, and at the same time, be empathetic for those who had lost lives.

" The best moment was -- you know, I've had a lot of great moments. I don't know, it's hard to characterize the great moments. They've all been busy moments, by the way. I would say the best moment was when I caught a seven-and-a-half pound large mouth bass on my lake. (Laughter.) "
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

So was it a Perch or a Largemouth Bass?

Because the biggest perch ever cought wasn't even 5 lbs. Telling lies about what did or did not gobble up your worm nearly got the last president impeached.

O-ho, ZING! (And only two weeks late, but this forum needs activity)

Go Blue!
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

Sylvus wrote:So was it a Perch or a Largemouth Bass?

Because the biggest perch ever cought wasn't even 5 lbs. Telling lies about what did or did not gobble up your worm nearly got the last president impeached.

You're usually a bit slow but I think two weeks to come up with a zinger is a record. =P

<3
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Laliana
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Laliana »

laneela wrote:

You're usually a bit slow but I think two weeks to come up with a zinger is a record. =P

<3
He's probably just now getting over his birthday hangover, give him a break. :razz:
Warlock of Ixtlan ~ Whisperwind
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Laliana wrote:
laneela wrote:

<3
He's probably just now getting over his birthday hangover, give him a break. :razz:
Thank you, Lali, that's the truth!

Please tell laneela that I'm no longer speaking to her and that sometimes her words hurt.

Go Blue!
Tuddi2
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Tuddi2 »

what other moment could he name anyway.

his presidency has been full of terrorists, tornados and such.

and besides he couldn't really say "when i got the world to believe i had nothing to do with 9/11" =p
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Morgrym wrote:It's the little things in life that mean the most.
nothing little about that fish

reminds me of the dinner I made Sunday night, Jerk Orange Roughy w/ Orange Marmalade. Hoowee that was a good one.
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Well Perch down here often refers to White Perch (Crappie elsewhere) 7.5 lbs would be a very nice Crappie. I think you can write the mistake off to translation error though...Largemouth Bass, Crappie, Bream, Sunfish, Bluegill are all in the same family...Centrarchidae...there, in a nutshell is why scientific nomenclature exists...
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

I was referencing this list, which seems to claim that even the world's biggest Crappie was like 5 lbs something.

Damn you and your science, Arb!

Go Blue!
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Sylvus wrote:I was referencing this list, which seems to claim that even the world's biggest Crappie was like 5 lbs something.

Damn you and your science, Arb!
Odd I swear our State record was more than that...maybe not...:)

On an interesting (well to me anyway) side note "Perch" generally refers to family Percidae which in the Americas consists largely of smaller "Darters" but does include white and yellow perch, walleye and sauger...or did back 400 years ago when I was studying Icthyology and Herpetology...:)

Yes damn me and my science! Damn us to hell!
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Mmmm fish fry Fridays.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Arborealus wrote:Yes damn me and my science! Damn us to hell!
I too am shaking both of my fists in the air defiantly