Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Beta 3 Begins

Post by Siji »

Microsoft Confidential

Hello to the player at: xx@xx.xx,

All of us at Sigil Games Online and Microsoft Game Studios would like to thank you for helping us with our beta test for Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. The feedback from players like you has been extremely valuable. As we continue to move toward launch we will need to start processing even more beta players and get patches to you all in the quickest way possible. To assist us with that, as of March 20th, 2006 FilePlanet will be your one-stop source for all things Vanguard, including downloading the game client files, the user guide, and maps as well as our legal mumbo jumbo to which you have already agreed. Important note: The only way to keep playing Vanguard is to uninstall your Beta 2 client and re-install the new client through FilePlanet. We are very sorry for the inconvenience this might cause, but the new process will be very beneficial for us. We really appreciate you making this change and for continuing to help us test the game.

Note: Many browsers cannot read files over 2.1 gigabytes (GB) in size. Because of this limitation, please make sure to install and use the IGN Download Manager to download the Vanguard Beta 3 client. If you don't, your browser might only download a partial version of the Beta client.

Thank you for being a valuable member of the Vanguard: Saga of Heroes community!

The Sigil Vanguard Team

The MGS Beta & Vanguard Teams
--

It's actually nearly 5 gigs of download.. and FilePlanet sucks.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I wish Rellix were here so he could tell me what this means.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

Does this mean you have to pay file planet to get the "free" beta?
Toshira
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Toshira »

Canoe wrote:Does this mean you have to pay file planet to get the "free" beta?
Sounds like it. So ends my assistance.

Fileplanet = the new Ticketmaster? Have their grubbeh paws on everything!
There is not enough disk space available to delete this file, please delete some files to free up disk space.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fileplanet also has free servers.. But you usually have to 'wait in line'. Unless this is 'branded' differently or whatever and not available from one of their free servers.

However, that doesn't change the fact that Fileplanet does indeed suck.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

That's funny, I have never had any problems with Fileplanet. I am guessing this is a reference to them requiring membership to get into betas through them? Most sites that get a set of invites require the same.
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

While I can't say for sure there "may" be another email or more to this one saying that you don't need a paying account and that FP will have dedicated servers just for Vanguard beta to make sure that everyone can get the files quickly... but of course that is just hypothetical :)

Marb
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

miir wrote:I wish Rellix were here so he could tell me what this means.
:lol:
Sabek
Just Sabek
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

miir wrote:I wish Rellix were here so he could tell me what this means.
I'd happily go on without this vital knowledge if it meant I never had to see him post again.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Hi.

The game isn't in Beta 3. Yes, the email & client are misleading, but it's in '2.5' as explicitly mentioned by BM. Everything is labeled Beta 3 because the format and installers they will be/are using have been updated for that phase when the time comes. Read the forums.

Also, not that those who don't have access really need to know, but a subscription (paid) to fileplanet is not required for fast and no-wait downloading of the installer. They do not have specific Vanguard-only servers set up for it, but the download does come from their regular pay servers, which are more than fast enough.
miir and I are best friends. <3
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

damn.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Xatrei wrote:damn.
Oh, you! :vv_kiss02:
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Rellix wrote:They do not have specific Vanguard-only servers set up for it, but the download does come from their regular pay servers, which are more than fast enough.
Assuming you think 200k & 6 hours download time is more than fast enough..

Also, the servers are finally back up.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Siji wrote:
Rellix wrote:They do not have specific Vanguard-only servers set up for it, but the download does come from their regular pay servers, which are more than fast enough.

That's your connection buddy - I can get 1mb/s from their servers any time of the day.

On an unrelated note, they're adding about 1000 new testers next week or soon after.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

so what does this mean?
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Out of the hundreds of thousands that applied for beta they are only adding about a 1000? How exciting is that? At this rate by the time they do a stress test America will be out of Iraq and hip deep in Iran.
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

Fileplanet = who?

Lets make the connection.

Fileplanet
GameSpy

Is the world controlled by Fileplanet?
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Rellix wrote:
Siji wrote:

That's your connection buddy - I can get 1mb/s from their servers any time of the day.
I won't argue the speed at which you can connect, but myself and a friend whom also downloaded the file both got nearly the same speeds and length of download time. And no, not on the same lan.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

A 6 hour download of 5 gigs isn't a big deal. especially when the server was offline anyway. Run the download while you sleep like I did - as I also do with most large downloads. Most of my download was about 100-150kb/s because my campus here throttles bandwidth (i'm convinced it must), and it didn't bother me.

The 1mb/s is on a 6Mbit connection from home. On campus here it's a 45Mbit connection for roughly 3000 users.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

What sucks is I just saw my beta invite from Dec, gmail didn't forward it :(
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

Just got my Beta invite.
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

Same, where do people play?
Fortune favors the brave!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Just got my invite also. Time to take this turd for a test run.

We under an NDA for this thing? I kinda clicked on a lot of links pretty fast to get to the download.
Ebumar
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ebumar »

Full NDA in effect, even admitting can effect your beta status.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

While I am not saying if I am in it or not, I could imagine if a person were in the beta they would most likely be trying out many different classes and races so it would be tough to nail down a friends list that would be effective. Hypothetically speaking ofcourse.
Sparty
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sparty »

Im still waiting for an invite. Im kinda bummed, Ive been waiting forever. I was thinking about buying an account but they're a little too pricey, and who knows if they are even real =P

My name is Sparty
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Stupid thing doesn't run on Vista.

Bravo Brad Mcquaid.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

and I'm certain that will never be fixed.......... kind of retarded to expect an unreleased game to be running on an unreleased operating system already.
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

Lets say someone was in the beta and they thought it was alright. However, there were annoying lag hiccups and things of that nature. Would someone have any random advice to offer that person who was having those issues. Some little tweak or tip to enhance performance. Their computer also runs WoW, EQ, etc. at full bells and whistles with no issues. And also exceeds the recommend requirements for the beta.
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Mr Bacon wrote:and I'm certain that will never be fixed.......... kind of retarded to expect an unreleased game to be running on an unreleased operating system already.
Not really, considering Vanguard won't be out until after Vista is released and Vista is basically finalized with RC2 so Vanbloat better get it running with Vista soon.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Actually, Vista is expected to RTM within a week or so.

There's a ton of games that also already work with Vista that I've been able to play as well.

Imagine if you will the non-technically savvy EQ fan that buys a whole new PC rig for Vanguard and lo and behold, the OS that's pre-loaded on it can't play Vanguard anyways.

I can't imagine our little gamer would be a very happy camper at that point.
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

How much does a beta account run these days anyway?
Fortune favors the brave!
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Animalor wrote:Actually, Vista is expected to RTM within a week or so.

There's a ton of games that also already work with Vista that I've been able to play as well.

Imagine if you will the non-technically savvy EQ fan that buys a whole new PC rig for Vanguard and lo and behold, the OS that's pre-loaded on it can't play Vanguard anyways.

I... I still don't understand why you're bitching about a game in BETA not running perfectly.
Sparty
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sparty »

Teg,
I didnt look to long but I found a couple account's going for 150-200$.

My name is Spartacus
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

really? i just got an invite and have zero interest in playing
Sparty
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sparty »

http://www.realpoor.com/WTS_Vanguard_Be ... 46836.html

I'll give you Little Rico's cell phone number for it?

My name is Sparty
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

People actually paying to buy accounts to play a beta game. Guess some people in this world really do have too much money.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Mr Bacon wrote:
Animalor wrote:Actually, Vista is expected to RTM within a week or so.

I... I still don't understand why you're bitching about a game in BETA not running perfectly.
Not bitching really. Just more surprised that this this isn't working on my OS. Vanguard ain't important enough for me to roll back my PC to XP either.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Morgrym wrote:Lets say someone was in the beta and they thought it was alright. However, there were annoying lag hiccups and things of that nature. Would someone have any random advice to offer that person who was having those issues. Some little tweak or tip to enhance performance. Their computer also runs WoW, EQ, etc. at full bells and whistles with no issues. And also exceeds the recommend requirements for the beta.
Though I have have no idea if this is really happening in the beta testing but for the sake of this conversation I'll pretend to know what I am talking about. Short of changing the settings down a bit there really isn't a whole lot you could do. The lag is most likely due to the debugger that may be running at all times. The lag would be the same at 1100 people as it is with only around 300 people. I would hope this wouldn't be the situation as the beta gets closer to release. Then again, I really have no clue as this has all been just a hypothetical conversation.
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

Bubba Grizz wrote:
Morgrym wrote:Lets say someone was in the beta and they thought it was alright. However, there were annoying lag hiccups and things of that nature. Would someone have any random advice to offer that person who was having those issues. Some little tweak or tip to enhance performance. Their computer also runs WoW, EQ, etc. at full bells and whistles with no issues. And also exceeds the recommend requirements for the beta.
Though I have have no idea if this is really happening in the beta testing but for the sake of this conversation I'll pretend to know what I am talking about. Short of changing the settings down a bit there really isn't a whole lot you could do. The lag is most likely due to the debugger that may be running at all times. The lag would be the same at 1100 people as it is with only around 300 people. I would hope this wouldn't be the situation as the beta gets closer to release. Then again, I really have no clue as this has all been just a hypothetical conversation.
Gotcha. So, if we knew what we were talking about; it could be assumed that this is just something that is happening to everyone. Thus possibly turning a game that has potential into a bigger lag fest than WoW was pre release.

Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

hypothetically speaking, if you have access to the beta boards, there are plenty of threads with specific settings you could hypothetically use were you in beta. These hypothetical settings would hypothetically increase your hypothetical performance, hypothetically speaking.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Mr Bacon wrote:hypothetically speaking, if you have access to the beta boards, there are plenty of threads with specific settings you could hypothetically use were you in beta. These hypothetical settings would hypothetically increase your hypothetical performance, hypothetically speaking.
How long does it take to get on these Hypothetical boards? I would guess that some people have been hypothetically waiting for over 2 weeks now eagerly awaing access to those boards. :evil:
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

Thus proving that the hypothetical boards are totally hypothetical. And why would some random person want to ask a bunch of snot nosed kids a real question when they could ask here?

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Bubba Grizz wrote:
Mr Bacon wrote:hypothetically speaking, if you have access to the beta boards, there are plenty of threads with specific settings you could hypothetically use were you in beta. These hypothetical settings would hypothetically increase your hypothetical performance, hypothetically speaking.
How long does it take to get on these Hypothetical boards? I would guess that some people have been hypothetically waiting for over 2 weeks now eagerly awaing access to those boards. :evil:
Hypothetical ditto.
Ebumar
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ebumar »

Hypothetically you should e-mail customersupport@sigilgames.com . From there, hypothetically, you need to explain your situation. Hypothetically it should take 72 hours to get resolved.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Hypothetically I am sure a person sent out that email a matter of minutes ago. :razz:
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

hypothetically...this game exists.

(sorry, I couldn't resist. it was wide open)
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Stupid thing doesn't run on Vista.

Bravo Brad Mcquaid
For the record, It does work on Vista.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Hypothetically speaking...something big is happening...today.
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

Hopefully it is fixing the damn near unplayable graphical lag and other various performance issues. Hypothetically 8)