157 MPG Vehicle for only $13,000

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

157 MPG Vehicle for only $13,000

Post by Boogahz »

From http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1000
Loremo AG set to debut 2+2 coupe that gets over 150 MPG

I'm happy when my little hatchback gets 31 MPG on the highway, but German-based Loremo AG is set to debut a 2+2 coupe at the Geneva Auto Show that gets a whopping 157 MPG.

The $13,000 Loremo LS weighs just 992 lbs and features a two cylinder turbo-diesel engine pumping out a hardly earth shattering 20HP. The mid-engine, RWD coupe gets roughly 157 miles per gallon and has a cruising range of 807 miles. It goes 0-60 in 20 seconds and has a top speed of 99 MPH.

A more powerful $17,800 Leromo GT will also be available. It weighs in slightly more at 1,036 lbs and features a 3 cylinder turbo-diesel with 50 HP. It gets 87 miles per gallon, has a cruising range of 497 miles, goes 0-60 in 9 seconds and tops out at 137 MPH.

Both will come standard with airbags, radio and particle filter. Options will include a dashboard computer, A/C, MP3 player, navigation system, and leather.
Interesting "futuristic" look. The size/fuel economy are nice, but considering how many larger vehicles are on the road, safety would be my main concern.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Safety would be a concern, but also this.. All of the cars companies are making with better economy are being made as vehicles for people who live in a big city and drive a short distance to work..

I think it is more important on focusing on the majority of the people (who commute from the suburbs into the city and such). It would not be practical in my mind to get onto 65-75 mph highways/freeways with a car like this.
dibit_eq
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by dibit_eq »

but these cars sure would make the roads a safer place for those people driving the mammoth, gallons per mile classes of vehicles...
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

A more powerful $17,800 Leromo GT will also be available. It weighs in slightly more at 1,036 lbs and features a 3 cylinder turbo-diesel with 50 HP. It gets 87 miles per gallon, has a cruising range of 497 miles, goes 0-60 in 9 seconds and tops out at 137 MPH.
Better acceleration, triple the fuel efficiency of my Chevy Prism. I don't know what a new Prism goes for, but damn, I hope this car makes a dent in the American brain.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

It'll never make it here in that form.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

Our saftey standards would never allow this vehicle on US roads. It would need to be modified...and by the time they would get it to pass, it would be much heavier, requiring more power just to move the thing at an acceptable rate. Then there goes the MPG, the very thing that made it so attrative in the first place!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I want to see a video: Loremo AG vs. Hummer H2.

Head on collision.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Safety standards? I thought all it needs was a windshield, wipers and lights. And maybe a horn. What safety standards are you talking about?

Or to put it another way... Do people actually have anything to back up statements such as "Oh that will never be allowed on US roads".
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Leonaerd wrote:I want to see a video: Loremo AG vs. Hummer H2.

Head on collision.
My guess is that it would probably just run over it. But you could say the same thing about a number of vehicles.

Hey, why don't we pit an Echo against a semi...

As long as you can ride a motorcycle in this country, this car should be allowed as is. At 1k lbs, it may need to follow the motorsycle/trailer limitation under high wind conditions on high speed roads, but that's not a big deal.
Who cares if it can't keep up w/ the joneses in the acceleration department. If dump trucks are allowed on the road, you can sure as hell allow a car that doesn't pin you to the back seat on it as well. Most people don't even come close to using the full potential of their vehicle regardless of the vehicle.
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

Aslanna wrote:Safety standards? I thought all it needs was a windshield, wipers and lights. And maybe a horn. What safety standards are you talking about?

Or to put it another way... Do people actually have anything to back up statements such as "Oh that will never be allowed on US roads".
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/FMVSS/

there you go.