Honda Fit?

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Honda Fit?

Post by miir »

Gonna be car shopping in the near future and the Fit has piqued my interest.

Gimme some info/opinions on it Pherr (or anyone else).
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I think the car is ugly as hell. Actually after looking at it from a few different angles it kind of reminds me of inspector gadgets car!!! Go Go Gadget FIT!!!1!

That being said im sure its a reliable efficient car as most hondas are, but pherr will probably have plenty to say.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I think it's pretty sharp, might hold off on the Matrix I've been looking at.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Aabidano wrote:I think it's pretty sharp, might hold off on the Matrix I've been looking at.
Matrix and Mazda5 are on my short list as well.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

The Mazda washed out due to local prices, interior space and mileage.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Fit looks pretty good. The seating flexibility is pretty cool however, until I sit in the thing, I won't know what seating comfort is like. And those rear seats look awfully thin for long term usage. Mileage is also a bit disappointing. It almost seems as if noone wants their regular cars to step anywhere near their hybrids in mpg.

Aside from that list, I'd toss in the Scion xA. Personally the Mazda 5 is a pretty cool car conceptually and would probably be my favorite if I didn't require car seats. It's on my list for my next test drive day along with the Hyundai Accent (very impressed w/ H's new models, especially the Azera which would honestly be on my short list because it was that good) and the Ford Fusion.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

In the same branches as the Fit, I really like the styling of the Toyota Yaris. I've never driven one but I think it looks really nice. Sorta like a small Matrix(which I own).

Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

That looks like the same model as the Honda Jazz here.. if so I recently testdrove it quite a bit. My mother just bought one in fact :) Here is my take on it:

First impression: Holy fu.. it has a lot of room inside it! It seems small on the outside but damn it is roomy inside! Even with the seat adjusted for me (6'1 with long legs) you can easily ride in the back seat. Also has quite a bit of luggage space, way more than a lot of the competitors do.

The positives: It was driving a lot "sportier" than most other cars like this. Suspension, steering and transmission felt very direct and you had an excellent feel of the road. Driving it was fairly quiet as well (even on winter tires on bare asphalt roads going 95 km/h) but it did ge a little bit of wind noise once I reached 85 km/h or so. It accelerated decently but it is far from a sports car. All switches etc were located nicely and I had no problems reaching anything. It also drove quite nicely on snow/ice covered roads. Loading the car with heavy items seemed fairly simple as well.

The negatives: I would not enjoy driving the car for long periods of time. I did not find a 100% comfortable sitting position due to having long legs and arms. This is something I've become quite used to in cars to be honest, very few cars give me a very good driving position. My mom loved it for her. I also disliked the radio design.

Conclusion: This is an excellent car just not for me :lol: My mom loved it completely and bought one. It beat other cars like the Mitsubishi Colt, the Toyota Corolla and Yaris, Peugeot 206 and 307 and also the new Opel Astra. At least here the Jazz/Fit is a great car for the price!
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

The Fit is the jazz, same car.

Looking like a fun car to add to our lineup, the space inside is staggering... I mean unreal, I really dont see how it manages to be so big. Look at the Sport not the base, where else can you get a paddle shifting AT in a 13,500 car? Bigger tires and lots of other good stuff come with the sport as well. Kinda funky look (abit like the old Si in a 4 door) but cute, definately versitile and full of honda-isms (mp3 player in the sport, ace body structure, front and side curtain airbags, abs, all the safety shit you could want and some cool comfort stuff too).
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Look at the Sport not the base, where else can you get a paddle shifting AT in a 13,500 car?
Yeah, I'd only consider the sport.
The paddle shifter is just too fucking sweet.

In the same branches as the Fit, I really like the styling of the Toyota Yaris.
The Yaris restyling on the Echo hatchback is a huge improvement.
I haven't sat in one yet but I'm a bit concerned about the interior space.. that's why it wasn't on my short list (yet). I've read very few criticisms about the Echo aside from the fact that it was bland and a bit ugly. The centre mounted speedo is an issue from some people as well (I myself don't mind it). The fact that it's a Toyota is a bonus.

My driving will be mostly short trips around the city... I live and work downtown (so I wont even drive to work) so I'm not as concerned about how comfortable it is on 'long hauls' or it's highway demeanour. Economy, gas mileage and reliability are my main concerns.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:the space inside is staggering... I mean unreal, I really dont see how it manages to be so big.
That was pretty much exactly my thought as well. My jaw about hit the floor when I saw the space, especially after looking at other larger cars that had way less interior space.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

What the hell would you want paddle-shift for? Every version of it I've seen outside F1 is garbage.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Took a pretty close look at the Fit at the auto show on wednesday. I can't say that I was overy impressed. The interior felt very cheap and plasticy. The styling is pretty bland (looks better in pictures)... I just didn't find the car appealing whatsoever.

The Matrix and Mazda5 impressed me the most, and the Nissan Versa was the most appealing subcompact.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

As a brand I prefer Honda over Toyota, but I'd probably go with the xA before the Fit. However, this is the last year for the xA before they redo it into something else (next year is last for xB and 2008 is last for tC) so if you're not comfortable with buying "final year" vehicles, that's something to consider. I've heard nothing but good about the xA.

Do a comparison on Edmunds. I doubt you can go wrong with either company's cars. Though I'm surprised anyone mentioned Hyundai. One brand I would never, ever buy. Ex had 2. They were both complete shit cars.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Hyundai's will be the 3rd or 4th largest automaker inside a decade... their quality is far beyong any domestic and rivaling Honda and Toyota, they blew past Nissan a couple years ago. Hyundai now is not the Hyundai of 8 years ago, the Azera, the Sonota, the new Sante Fe, they are definately moving in the right direction quickly.

Jefferson
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

hm is the Fit made at the same factory as the Jazz? I know quite a few cars are a bit different here than in the US, and I have absolutely no complaints about the interior of the Jazz.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

The fit is the jazz, domestic production doesn't start for a month, what he saw at the show was a jazz with fit badging. The Jazz will still be made in Europe and the Fit in north America, glocalization, it's a big deal to Honda to do things that way

Jefferson
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:Hyundai's will be the 3rd or 4th largest automaker inside a decade... their quality is far beyong any domestic and rivaling Honda and Toyota, they blew past Nissan a couple years ago. Hyundai now is not the Hyundai of 8 years ago, the Azera, the Sonota, the new Sante Fe, they are definately moving in the right direction quickly.
I drove the Azera, the Maxima, and an Avalon Touring a week before NY's blizzard. I was thoroughly impressed by the Azera. Given that I could probably walk out the door in a limited for under 27k for what it offers is astounding. It was a very good car inside and out. The Sonata didn't impress me as much I guess because I know it's competition so well(Accord, Altima, Camry) and prefer them all in one way or another
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Working with the local dealer on getting a Fit now, that's a very nice little car.

Narrowly beat out the Matrix.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Aabidano wrote:Working with the local dealer on getting a Fit now, that's a very nice little car.

Narrowly beat out the Matrix.
Sport?

Jefferson
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Base model with automatic and an alarm, and before they put $700 worth of dealer crap I don't want on it.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Looks like I won't be praying at the temple of Honda after all. They want an $1100 "local market adjustment", plus $1800 for a protection package, neither of which I'm willing to pay.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Absurd! We sell them at sticker only, but then again we have a 6 week wait

Jefferson
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Z have you looked at the new Civic? I know it's a little more expensive but the LX model I'm guessing could be had for about $16K or less and they have a shitload of room in them, are quite, handle very well and get 30 in town and like 40 on the interstate... not bad at all.

They have only had 1 Fit at my local dealer but my guess is that it's too small for me... I'm sure I'll check one out just to be on the safe side though.

Marb