General Tso's chicken

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

General Tso's chicken

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I had some of the non spicey variety and I was wondering how I could make this on my own. I am not a spicey hot fan. I had to work my way up to medium salsa after 30 years.
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Just omit the chiles or use a mild variety (like banana peppers)...You can also use an oil in which dry chiles have been soaked to add the flavour and control the overall heat by adding a little to taste in the sauce

Tso's Chicken

8oz Chicken thigh meat in 1 inch cubes

Marinade:
1 large egg white
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch freshly ground black or white pepper
3 to 4 tablespoons cornstarch

Sauce:
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon Shao-Hsing rice wine or dry sherry
2 teaspoons black or red rice vinegar
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
2 tablespoons chicken broth or water

Other:
1 tablespoon minced ginger
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 green onions, finely chopped
6 to 10 small dried red chilli peppers, according to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground Szechuan peppercorn or coriander, or to taste
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Oil for deep-frying, as needed

Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes. Add the marinade ingredients, using your fingers to make sure the chicken is well coated in the cornstarch. Let the chicken sit for 30 minutes.

Heat the oil to between 360 and 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a small bowl, mix together the sauce ingredients and set aside.

Mince the ginger and garlic. Chop the green onion on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces. Cut the chilies in half and remove the seeds (wear rubber gloves to do this).

When the oil is hot, add the chicken cubes, taking care not to overcrowd the wok and keeping the temperature constant. Deep-fry until golden brown and crispy. Remove and drain on paper towels.

Drain the oil from the wok.

Heat 3 tablespoons oil on medium-high to high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chilies. Stir-fry just until they begin to darken, then add the garlic and ginger. Stir-fry until aromatic (total stir-fry time for the chilies and garlic and ginger should be about 1 minute).

Add the chicken cubes. Stir-fry for a minute, then push up to the sides and add the sauce in the middle of the wok. Mix with the chicken. Stir in the green onion and the Szechuan peppercorn or ground coriander. Heat through. Remove from the heat and stir in the sesame oil. Serve hot.

I'm sure Pherr will have a bang up version of this as well :)
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

That one not only works for me, but I am gonna try it
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

/bow

I stole it from a local family restaurant :)

You still pwn me on asian cuisine...so I steal from you regularly :)
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

I rarely cook for myself, but I am very intrigued and may just try this one out. <3 General Tso's.
miir and I are best friends. <3
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

That recipe sounds great. It also brings up a question, how do people typically dispose of hot oil? Especially w/ a wok, I usually do not have a large enough can to spill it into so i end up wasting a pasta bowl. I also really do not like trying to clean up hot oil dribble from the bottom of any pan that needs to get used again.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Chidoro wrote:That recipe sounds great. It also brings up a question, how do people typically dispose of hot oil? Especially w/ a wok, I usually do not have a large enough can to spill it into so i end up wasting a pasta bowl. I also really do not like trying to clean up hot oil dribble from the bottom of any pan that needs to get used again.
Coffee can? I bought some crappy generic coffee that was on sale for like 2 bucks, dumped it and kept the can, that was about 6 years and 4 moves ago

Jefferson
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Doh! My wife buys coffee in a bag but that's a good $2 idea. it's probably good for draining grill grease too.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Chidoro wrote:Doh! My wife buys coffee in a bag but that's a good $2 idea. it's probably good for draining grill grease too.
Yah fridge it and then just scoop the hardened mass of fat into a trash right before you take it out

Jefferson
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Depends on the oil...

Bacon drippings go into a jar in the fridge for reuse...

Beef fat gets saved in a coke can re rendered strained and fed to the wild birds mixed with peanut butter, some suet, an a variety of seed

Veggie oil depends on what was cooked in it. I try to reuse it when possible, then it gets used for brushing down my big grill (unless it is strong), what is left goes into insecticidal soap and/or eventually chilled and into the garbage...
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Arborealus wrote:Depends on the oil...

Beef fat gets saved in a coke can re rendered strained and fed to the wild birds mixed with peanut butter, some suet, an a variety of seed

Veggie oil depends on what was cooked in it. I try to reuse it when possible, then it gets used for brushing down my big grill (unless it is strong), what is left goes into insecticidal soap and/or eventually chilled and into the garbage...
HIPPIE!!!!!!!!!!!

Jefferson
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:
Arborealus wrote:Depends on the oil...

HIPPIE!!!!!!!!!!!
Nerp an honest to god conservative...I get as much use as possible out of things I pay for...:)...But yeah I do own Birkenstocks...:P