Post by Mr Bacon »

Only if it's free!
miir and I are best friends. <3
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Considering it, depends on how my schedule will look. I could see Interrobang going to the dark side...
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Thess
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Thess »

I'll probably play
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm going to be trying CoV out.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Rellix wrote:Only if it's free!
preorder from ebgames.com. after you get the beta invite, cancel preorder. booyah.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Building and defending lairs looks like it will be fun:
So you’re saying that there will be lairs and bases?

Yes, in City of Villains all villain characters will be able to create custom designed lairs and bases with an extremely high amount of detail, rivaling that of the character creation for which City of Heroes is well known. The base-building feature from City of Villains will also carry over to City of Heroes members who have active COH subscriptions, enabling them to also construct hero bases.

What are some of the cool new items I’ll be able to have in my lair or base?

Players will be able to create their bases from the ground up. They can place walls, raise and lower ceilings and floors, build hospital rooms, transporters, and more. Textures, colors, and lighting can all be customized, and players can use tons of decorative items in their bases as well. Players can protect their creations by placing turrets, traps, and other defense mechanisms. All of these result in nearly limitless options.
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

Winnow wrote:Building and defending lairs looks like it will be fun:
So you’re saying that there will be lairs and bases?

Yes, in City of Villains all villain characters will be able to create custom designed lairs and bases with an extremely high amount of detail, rivaling that of the character creation for which City of Heroes is well known. The base-building feature from City of Villains will also carry over to City of Heroes members who have active COH subscriptions, enabling them to also construct hero bases.

What are some of the cool new items I’ll be able to have in my lair or base?

Players will be able to create their bases from the ground up. They can place walls, raise and lower ceilings and floors, build hospital rooms, transporters, and more. Textures, colors, and lighting can all be customized, and players can use tons of decorative items in their bases as well. Players can protect their creations by placing turrets, traps, and other defense mechanisms. All of these result in nearly limitless options.
Sounds like the SIMS with a super villain twist.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I was just thinking the same thing.
Ogbar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Greblaja

Post by Ogbar »

I just got a nice email as a birthday present. :wink:
Ogbar - a member of the Tiger's Roar retirement community
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Zamtuk wrote:
Rellix wrote:Only if it's free!
preorder from ebgames.com. after you get the beta invite, cancel preorder. booyah.
Meh.. but that means almost spending money!
miir and I are best friends. <3
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ogbar wrote:I just got a nice email as a birthday present. :wink:
Grats!

Keep us updated Ogbar! I know there's going to be a non disclosure thingy but that's really only for important things like when working on subs etc! : )

jk, I hope the character generator is released early like with EQII so we can design our villains before the release.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

My friend just got into beta yesterday, and he says it's pretty fucking cool. Tonight, he has to work when the servers are up (only 7-9 pm Eastern), so I get to try it!

ALL FEAR PROFESSOR PLACEHOLDER!
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Any feedback yet on CoV beta? Also, anyone have a rough estimate for when the pre-order peeps will get to beta test the game?
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Saw some pics from Beta :D

Mastermind Archetype can choose from minions such as Ninjas and Robots!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Almost all of the powers for EVERY archetype are copies of COH powers. There are a few unique ones, mostly in the Mastermind sets, but not a lot.

100% of the recent slew of nerfs to hit COH are because of the way their powers interfaced with some of the new COV powers.

Example: IH was nerfed into uselessness in the latest patch.
The given reason: limitless regen is overpowering, despite the fact that regen scrappers have no defense. This is only partially true, as a simple reduction in the healing rate of the power would have fixed it.
The real reason: limitless regen combined with Hide, the first power of EVERY Stalker (the COV scrapper analog) is completely impossible to balance.

So, basically, everything the devs have said about not balancing their PvE game for PvP is bullshit. COH is being balanced around PvP that doesn't even exist yet.

I'm seriously debating cancelling my pre-order, given the apparent emphasis on PvP balancing and the asstastic implementation of it so far.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Has the beta opened for pre-order peeps yet?
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

They're not even keeping the beta servers up all the time yet.
Desolet
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Desolet »

Great news! from http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/051006/55715.html?.v=1
ALCATRAZ ISLAND, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 6, 2005--NCsoft® North America has announced that customers will be able to subscribe to two of its massively multiplayer online games, City of Villains(TM) and City of Heroes®, for the subscription price of one. Subscribers to City of Villains and City of Heroes will have only a single subscription fee of $14.99 per month to have full access to both games.

City of Villains, a stand-alone sequel to last year's hit, City of Heroes, is expected to be released on October 31, with a subscription price of $14.99 per month. The pricing plan means that current City of Heroes subscribers need only purchase City of Villains to play and enjoy features from both games. The games were developed by Cryptic Studios(TM).

Along with the value of being able to play the two games for $14.99, players will receive four additional character slots per game server, and access to crossover areas from both games such as player-versus-player zones in City of Villains. Additionally, City of Heroes' players who subscribe to both games will have access to the base building and base raids featured in City of Villains.

"This single subscription rate for subscribers to City of Villains and City of Heroes represents a great value for our customers and demonstrates our efforts to put our players first," said Robert Garriott, CEO of NCsoft North America. "We expect City of Villains to have a major impact on the PC games business, and this pricing structure should help continue to bring in new customers to the online, multiplayer game market."

"Both games can be played on their own and will provide satisfying and exciting online adventures," said Jack Emmert, creative director for Cryptic Studios, "By keeping the cost to $14.99 for subscribers to both games, we are encouraging players to use all of the functionality we built into the games. We created a heroes game and a villains game and we figured it is a lot more fun to have good guys and bad guys tangle without charging double for the opportunity to do so."

The announcement of the pricing structure was made at a City of Villains preview event on Alcatraz Island in San Francisco.

For more information about City of Villains, go to: http://www.cityofvillains.com.
:o
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

wow, they aren't charging extra subscription fees to play an expansion pack? how magnanimous of them.
Desolet
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Desolet »

Well, considering they are marketing this as more of a follow-up game then an 'expansion pack,' I could have seen them go either way here. Speaking as someone who still plays CoH, I am glad they didn't try to get too greedy with the subscription fees.
Ogbar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Ogbar »

Winnow wrote:Has the beta opened for pre-order peeps yet?
I was under the impression that some of the pre-order types were now in. Tough to know the truth on the forums sometimes, though.

CoV can be a stand alone game, but for most people buying it, it will be more like a substantial expansion. It was long the hope that the monthly price wouldn't go up, but they wanted to leave open the posibility way back when the title was announced. I'm glad they made the correct decision here.

I hear tell of a stress test weekend coming up (linkie to Fileplanet looking for a buck). I can tell you with certainty that they wouldn't be ready for it this weekend. Still very rubber-bandy in the outdoor zones, and disconnects are still occurring with some frequency. Note that this game is no better or worse than other games I've played in beta (if anything, it might be slightly ahead of the curve), it's just part of the process to sort all that shit out, and it's still a work in progess.

A lot of power sets are the same, some are new, but each new AT plays differently than those in CoH. A Brute, for example, is no where near a tank, but it isn't really a scrapper, either. It's a different dynamic playing them (and they are quite fun, I might add).

There is a ton of new art in the game. They did a patch a couple weeks back that was over a gig: you really can makes some really neat looking villians now.

It's been fun so far, but I think they still have a ways to go before they're ready
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

kyoukan wrote:wow, they aren't charging extra subscription fees to play an expansion pack? how magnanimous of them.
It's basically a stand alone game.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Masterminds are where it's at! I'm going Ninja/Poison and my buddy is going Robot/Force Field. They just need to add an set that summons pirates, and the Holy Trinity will be complete!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I need confirmation that pre order peeps can play in the beta now.

Ogbar, you mentioned nothing about evil lair/base building. What are your thoughts on that?
Ogbar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Ogbar »

Winnow wrote:I need confirmation that pre order peeps can play in the beta now.
I'll see what I can find out later tonight. Basically, though, at this point you'd need an email from them letting you in. So, if you don't have the email ...
Winnow wrote:Ogbar, you mentioned nothing about evil lair/base building. What are your thoughts on that?
Not much to say at this point. SGs were buggy for a while (couldn't create them ... unless you took advantage of the bug that ported you to Atlas and did some artful dodging around the police bots), but SGs now have stock layout bases. I did die in a mission yesterday and elected to go to the base instead of the hospital: I was only partially healed (about half way), but when I left the base, I ended up right outside the door to the mission I died in. All in all, a fair trade, though either or both could have been bugs vs how it's intended to work.

I'm just a grunt in this SG, so I doubt I can edit anything, if modifying bases is even turned on yet. Sorry, just don't have any data on this yet.

The stock base was a pot pouri of tile sets/looks - a whitman sampler of room looks, if you will.
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

Im waiting for a beta key to try out the stress test soon, however every time I download the client, it keeps saying the zip file is corrupted. I must have downloaded the client 3 times from fileplanet. Anyone else have this problem?
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Winnow, I have my pre-order disc, and no beta. I don't think they're that far along yet.