Anyone know?..

Forum for kung fu, and grappling, and dolphins, and street fights, and body building, and.....

Moderator: The Kwon

sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Anyone know?..

Post by sarlen »

Anyone have a few good sites/Message boards for fitness? I have a list of specific question on weight training, running and diet but cant seem to find a site that has more then a few people replying/handing out info.
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

I know some good danish sites which aren't much use to you, but there are some people with pretty decent knowledge roaming vv (I like to consider myself one of them), so you could try posting your questions here and see if we can help.
Fortune favors the brave!
sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by sarlen »

Ok..Most of these questions will seem nOObish but in all my years I have never really gotten results with the many diffrent types or times I have tried to woop my ass in shape. My major break down usually comes in the 4th to 5th week with motivation, for most of the problems listed below.

first off my program is weight training 2 days a week and medium intensity cardio AKA jogging/walking 2 days. This is a home gym enviroment.

The problem is after a few weeks I no longer feel like Im getting a workout from any routine I do for bicep/tricep. I get the burn from hell for 2 weeks and after that all I get is sore joints (elbows). This is 1 day a week upper body, 1 day lower. No amount of weight I add seems to bring back the initial "gaining burn" feel, that apparently most others get indefinatly.

Is one day a week for upper body enough to expect results in a 6 to 8 weeks? Not going for a muscular look just tone up a bit and trying to feel more energetic during the day.

On the subject of running, after a few weeks of light jogging I seem to develop shin splints, much movment at all makes it feel like my shins are on fire. Any way to work around/resolve this?

All the sites I find on Creatine use say mix the powder with juice but I have a serious gag reflex to grainular textures in drinks. Is it ok to just eat it?

I take a multi vitamin along with a C and B complex. Is this sufficiant for the type of training Im doing or will I run into a lack of vitamin/minerals and prolong my recovery times?
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

sarlen wrote: Is one day a week for upper body enough to expect results in a 6 to 8 weeks? Not going for a muscular look just tone up a bit and trying to feel more energetic during the day.
One day a week is not sufficient, if you only lift weights twice a week you should go for a full body work out both times and not do a split program, alternatively i wold say that if you want a split program you should lift 4 times a week.

Also, after a couple of weeks your body adjusts to the weight training, this mean that you won't be sore anymore, this is normal and actually a good sign. If you keep getting that feeling of burn, it means that you are wasting your time because you work out too little and your breaks between training are too long.
sarlen wrote: On the subject of running, after a few weeks of light jogging I seem to develop shin splints, much movment at all makes it feel like my shins are on fire. Any way to work around/resolve this?
There is no real work around for this, except doing a lower impact form of running training, now you say that you are in a home gym but for running you might want to think about getting a crosstrainer or maybe a rowing machine for cardio. Alternatively you could try taking a one or two week break when it starts hurting and see if that helps any.
sarlen wrote: All the sites I find on Creatine use say mix the powder with juice but I have a serious gag reflex to grainular textures in drinks. Is it ok to just eat it?
You need to mix creatine with some form of fluid, i always mixed mine with water. I never had the grainy feel though so it sounds like there is somethign fishy with your creatine powder. Also, at the intensity you work out I doubt you mwill get any positive effect from creatine. It helps you recuperate faster and you have plenty of time for that. Also, after about a month of creatine usage, your body becomes immune to it and you need to take a break for at least a month before you get any benefit from it again, not sure if you were aware of that so i thought i would mention it.

sarlen wrote: I take a multi vitamin along with a C and B complex. Is this sufficiant for the type of training Im doing or will I run into a lack of vitamin/minerals and prolong my recovery times?
That should do the trick just nicely, additional vitamins in extreme doses are really only for people doing extreme work outs. But a little extra is a good thing of course.

Hope i was helpful, feel free to come back if you have any additional questions.
Narmgarf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Narmgarf »

Actually that's not entirely accurate about the shin splints...

Make sure your sneakers are in good shape...if you're using them for any amount of running/jogging, then chances are you'll need a new pair every year. Old sneakers are the easiest way to get shin splints.

Make sure you stretch out your calves before you run...tight calves make things harder on the muscles on the front of the shin...which is what hurts with shin splints.

Try and build up that muscle (the one on the front of your shins)...making that stronger tends to help. Couple of options are to hook your toes under some furniture (ie...an office chair to start) and lift it just by tilting your foot back on the heel. Or you could hook an exercise band to something like a couch, lie down and just use the resistance of the band to work out the same muscle.

Icing the shin after running and taking an anti-inflammatory can help with easing the discomfort, but you really want to be careful about trying to run through the pain of shin splints. If it gets really severe, there's a chance of causing stress fractures of the tibia (which is generally regarded as a bad thing)

Personally, I find that decent sneakers, plus good stretching means I don't get them all that often anymore. Though running on concrete tends to still give me trouble sometimes. Try to stick to pavement or dirt and your legs will thank you :)

Narmgarf
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

God advice about the shin splints, I got the message i passed on from a doctor years ago but of course doctors can't be trusted with these things. Thanks for the heads up there.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Found this after reading someone's reply to a recent question of mine:
Lactic acid accumulates in skeletal muscles during extensive anaerobic exercise, causing temporary muscle pain. Lactic acid is quickly removed from muscles when they resume aerobic metabolism. Delayed onset muscle soreness usually becomes apparent more than 24 hours after exercising and is not caused by lactic acid buildup.
This lactic acid fermentation occurs in red blood cells since they don't have mitochondria, and in skeletal muscle during intense exertion when sufficient amounts of oxygen cannot be supplied fast enough.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactic_acid

The higher end models of New Balance running shoes are really nice. When I went to an Orthopedist those were the only ones he reccomended, even for casual wear. You generally won't see them anyplace but a New Balance store, the chains don't carry them that I've seen.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by sarlen »

Tegellan wrote:
sarlen wrote: Is one day a week for upper body enough to expect results in a 6 to 8 weeks? Not going for a muscular look just tone up a bit and trying to feel more energetic during the day.
One day a week is not sufficient, if you only lift weights twice a week you should go for a full body work out both times and not do a split program, alternatively i wold say that if you want a split program you should lift 4 times a week.

Also, after a couple of weeks your body adjusts to the weight training, this mean that you won't be sore anymore, this is normal and actually a good sign. If you keep getting that feeling of burn, it means that you are wasting your time because you work out too little and your breaks between training are too long.
sarlen wrote: On the subject of running, after a few weeks of light jogging I seem to develop shin splints, much movment at all makes it feel like my shins are on fire. Any way to work around/resolve this?
There is no real work around for this, except doing a lower impact form of running training, now you say that you are in a home gym but for running you might want to think about getting a crosstrainer or maybe a rowing machine for cardio. Alternatively you could try taking a one or two week break when it starts hurting and see if that helps any.
sarlen wrote: All the sites I find on Creatine use say mix the powder with juice but I have a serious gag reflex to grainular textures in drinks. Is it ok to just eat it?
You need to mix creatine with some form of fluid, i always mixed mine with water. I never had the grainy feel though so it sounds like there is somethign fishy with your creatine powder. Also, at the intensity you work out I doubt you mwill get any positive effect from creatine. It helps you recuperate faster and you have plenty of time for that. Also, after about a month of creatine usage, your body becomes immune to it and you need to take a break for at least a month before you get any benefit from it again, not sure if you were aware of that so i thought i would mention it.

sarlen wrote: I take a multi vitamin along with a C and B complex. Is this sufficiant for the type of training Im doing or will I run into a lack of vitamin/minerals and prolong my recovery times?
That should do the trick just nicely, additional vitamins in extreme doses are really only for people doing extreme work outs. But a little extra is a good thing of course.

Hope i was helpful, feel free to come back if you have any additional questions.
The split routine is a must. I dont really have the time each day to commit to 45min or more so 4 days a week it is!

The Creatine is the GNC brand. It really doesnt matter how well its blended if i can detect even the slightest hint of crunchieness to a drink I give it back in a hurry. Never been able to take any form of powder including powdered lemonaid in a drink, not sure why but just cant do it. BUT I can put all the powder in my mouth and take a big drink of water with it to wash it down. Must be a mental thing..

On the soreness part, about week 4 I no longer hurt from training and from what you say it sounds like I shouldnt. The issue is however about the time this happens I stop seeing results (perhaps its just percieved). I will try working thru the week 4/5 blahhs and see if it gets any better.
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

You will usually see huge results in the first 3 months, then it slwos down, that being said it varies a bit and seeing results in such a short timeframe isn't really realistic, it takes time for your body to adjust and develop.
Breagen
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Breagen »

http://www.extremefitness.com/forum/for ... y.php?f=20

There are lots of other sections on these forums, this being the body building and strength training section.
Forest Stalker - EQ Retired