It sucked, I cancelled already.
46%

Total votes: 59

Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Its been 6 months, what do you think?

Post by Rivera Bladestrike »

I was thinking of getting back into EQ2 and playing some again. I played during beta and I liked it, but I'm looking for a less expensive way to have fun during the summer, rather than going to bars, playing poker, out every night and limit that to just a couple nights a week. So EQ2 at 20 bucks a month or whatever it is sounds attractive.

I only got up to level 18 in Beta so I can only base my impressions off so much, now that everyone is higher level, tell me what you think.
My name is (removed to protect dolphinlovers)

Rivera / Shiezer - EQ (Retired)

What I Am Listening To
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

WoW sucks!
Gemily
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Gemily »

Winnow wrote:WoW sucks!
WTF
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

I'm interested in seeing what you guys think of the mid level game and high end game. I played up til 18, so anything after that would interest me.

What I Am Listening To
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Doesn't really seem to have high-level content..in the EQ1 sense at least. The mid-level stuff (25-45) is excellent, but the closer I get to 50 the more I figure it will be time to roll an alt while I wait for expansions or move on. Probably the later.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

It is a fun game for the most part. It is a game that if you have a bunch of friend playing you can log in every night. The one thing I think I have seen that I abhor, is that every raid level mob encounter you can count on an hour long fight. I have zero desire to have to sit at a game where I have to be sitting mashing buttons and having to be perfect the entire time for an hour straight.

Think Vulak fights only 3 times as long. Ugh. The only other thing that really bothers me is that it does not capture the same feel that EQ did. Something about the grpahics and updated zones just does not capture the flavor that was EQ.

If it is something you want to kill time with it is a great game. There are so many quests and tradeskilling options that you could easily lose yourself in it for 6 months and still not do everything you wanted. I just don't think I can personally handle the inane amount of time required for a single mob at the end game.
Lynnsie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Lynnsie »

My warlock is lvl 42 and I am having a great time playing her, when I actually have time to sit infront of the computer. Like Kilmoll said, there's tons that you could do besides just grind exp and still not do everything you wanted to do in a 6 month time frame.

As far as the end of the game goes, I dunno, personally I'm not there yet. But my guild is lvl 30 and we have unlocked some pretty cool stuff getting there. The carpets are cool, however the graphical effect of what you look like on them, is not. Lots of new weapons and stuff to be made from the lvl 30 weaponsmith books. Just depends on what you want to do I guess to pass your own time. What entertains you personally? (eq wise, no funky fetishes please) :D

In all seriousness, I have been giving some thought as to what Im going to do in 8 more lvl's when Cali hits 50. I guess, I'll just finish up all my tradeskill alts, have a Sage, Woodworker and an Alchy and never have time to level them.

I think one of the big things I like about EQ2 is the fact that you can be casual or hardcore (as much as the game allows) and still have decent gear at both lvl's of the game. I did hear that the raid bosses have insane amounts of HP though. Heard someone complaining back in my 30's about a raid for Ghoulbane and the NPC mob was grey to them and still took them almost an hour to kill. Who knows! Enjoy your game tho, and if u'r gonna come back, come to Perma, I'll hook ya up with some stuffs.

Calirian
42 Warlock ~ Permafrost
Forged Souls
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

So how many of these votes were legit EQ2 players and how many were WoW players just voting the last option.

What I Am Listening To
a_guide
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by a_guide »

Mine was legit, I pre-ordered and played for a few months, then my roommate sold his computer and my life got way busy so I let it lapse. When I had downtime from work after my tonsillectomy 2 weeks ago I was bored and wanted something to play so I went to resubscribe and it wouldn't let me. Talked to CS via chat and they were a bunch of idiots who kept advising me that I could if I would just choose that option when THE OPTION WAS NOT APPEARING. Finally got someone who found the problem apparently years ago in old EQ I had started a char on the German language server and realized I was too lazy to think so hard about communication and didn't really want to re-roll and went back to my regular server but that action made me an Ubi Soft customer and SOE wouldn't do anything and the supervisor did not respond to my email so I decided 'Fuck 'em!' and purchased WoW out of spite, discovering to my great amazement that it's actually fun. Go figure...
Robbynn
No Stars!

Post by Robbynn »

Cancelled 3 accounts here. Leveled up a Dirge to 46 and got bored bigtime. Ended up leveling up a couple tradeskillers, provisioner to lvl 50 and a woodworker to lvl 40 ... still bored. Bought a 2 room in Qeynos Harbor, decorated the hell out of it, took me a few days to get it looking pretty snazzy... still bored.

The guild I was in was going through a lot of changes and ended up being a huge drama fest. Quite a few of the higher end guilds had leaders just up and quit, leaving members who have worked very hard to level up their guilds, out in the cold. Our guild leader took quite a few of them in and basically wooed and kissed their asses majorly, causing old members to get their panties in a bunch, drama insued. The guild system needs some serious work. All you have to do is lose one or 2 members who were patrons and you can kiss a guild level or 2 good bye.

I picked, It's alright, I plan on cancelling soon, because the game didn't suck, it just got boring. :)

Putting EQ2 on the shelf for a while. Even though I liked the game quite a lot, it just lost something once I hit towards the "end game". Giving WoW a shot since I don't think I gave it a proper chance, only played beta for a few days. Enjoying it so far, so we will see.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

The problem is that a lot of people just joined 'pickup' guilds in the first few months.

The guild system in EQ2 rewards guilds with loyal patrons.
That's not a problem with EQ2s guild system, it's a problem with the fickle mush-heads who play MMOGs. In the early days of all MMOGs there's a lot of guild hopping.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Nneena
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Nneena »

I still have an active account. Kratos is very busy these days though so I don't have much time to play. I usually average an hour a week. I can pop in to Enchanted lands solo a bit, gather tradeskill items and do quests. I think my conjuror is level 28 with about 5% to 29.

I really like the changes they made with adding solo content. There is more than enough content to satisfy a number of people who want to solo. If I need to go unload my bags in the bank, the travel back over isn't bad with the voyage by sea option, the 60silver it costs me is made back in the first 15 minutes of playing.
Robbynn
No Stars!

Post by Robbynn »

Perhaps it is just my server then Miir lol. This was my 3rd guild. First one was started by a group of friends that had left EQ1. Basically to be able to keep in touch and stuff in game. 2nd guild we all thought was going great, was a level 20 guild, but then the guild leader decided to go MIA for a month and still hasn't logged on or posted anything about why he is gone. So people in the guild decided to form another one with more than 1 leader, so the MOTD could be changed and all that leader stuff they do. Once the 3rd one was formed it just became a drama fest, half the guild disbanding and starting ANOTHER guild. Just wasn't something I wanted to be involved in. And I just got tired of spending my time ingame doing nothing but tradeskills or mining/gathering and such.

I might go back to playing after a few months, check out any changes they do, but for right now I'm putting it on hold for a bit. It's a great game, I just lost interest and didn't want to do tradeskills all day long.
Lynnsie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Lynnsie »

All you people should just come to Perma imo. Lots of great guilds there. :D
Erolz NTurnet
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Erolz NTurnet »

Canceled.

Unable to commit with school and reallife shite keeping me ultra-busy.
Hooray Beer!
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

picked it up at the same time as WoW. Initally playing WoW much more, but then after 43 levels of PvP priest in WoW I saw the limited spells and the armor/weapons being rewarded like candy made the game feel so unrewarding.

I scrapped WoW and played EQ2 for around a month solid, got a Troll Inquisitor up to around level 30 or so and tradeskilled Sage to 40.

The game just seemed like it was a long drawn out go fetch game, with just different NPCs. The quests were too linear and similar in my opinion.

The lack of PvP hurt EQ2 too much also, that is why I am with Guild Wars now. Maybe after an expansion EQ2 will have what it needs, but right now it isnt enough to keep me content for the time required to play it.
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
tomodachi
No Stars!

Post by tomodachi »

I left EQ to focus on RL applications and interviews.

Picked up EQ2 shortly after those were done. From L30ish on
I was starting to get annoyed by the absolute lack of tactics in
solo or group situations... by the mid-40's I had seen most of
the eyecandy that was available (permafrost is beautiful,
lavastorm was fun for a while, etc.) and the feeling that
gameplay just hadn't evolved from L10 on was really starting
to be an issue with me.

I never really got around to raiding the 50+ content (at the time
I left, only FoH and Triton were trying things like Venekor), so I
can't speak to that side of the game, but the sub-50 raids were
pretty uninspiring.

It's likely that I just didn't give the game a long enough chance
to prove itself, but I just didn't find myself excited about it in
the way I was with EQ: tradeskilled items were too nice - they
made most dropped loot look like crap, massive wealth gaps
between tradeskillers of perishable and non-perishable items,
nerfing in reaction to forum whines, etc. I dunno... I could go
on and on about why I left the game, but ultimately it came down
to it just not being challenging enough. You got the sense that
all that was required to achieve anything in the game was time.

I tried WoW after I cancelled my EQ2 account. Made L30 in two weeks
on my first character... I got tired of soloing... The game offered little
reason to group, and I haven't been a big fan of PvP ganking since
Siege Perilous in Ultima Online... so I cancelled WoW as well. (L30
isn't really far enough in to make any judgement on the game as a
whole, I know... I just wasn't interested in logging in from that point on)

Now I'm back two-boxing (possibly three-boxing) through old content
in EQ for shits and giggles before I fly off to Japan in July. I have zero
desire to play WoW or EQ2 again... though Revenge of the Sith almost
convinced me to reactivate my SWG account. > : )

Some will argue that you can't recreate the excitement of your first
MMORPG... and that's what I'm looking for. That's bullshit, to be quite
frank. I played UO for two years before playing EQ, and stuck with a
MUD for another two or three years prior to that. EQ was not the first
MMORPG I truly enjoyed... WoW/EQ2 just lacks.

DnD Online is coming, but with a level cap of 20 I can't see that holding
my interest for long. Vanguard seems to have some promise, but
that's a ways out yet. It's probably a good time to take a breather
from MMORPGs if you're so inclined.

---

Having been this negative, I will say its worth playing EQ2 to the mid-30's
just to experience the 1-grouppable Castle Nektropos zone. It's buggy,
but a truly brilliant zone. WoW is probably a decent game if you just
want something to log in for an hour or so to solo, and are long since
tired of NWN.