Some changes to quests and their rewards.

Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Some changes to quests and their rewards.

Post by Akaran_D »

From the EQ2 boards..
I'll answer the questions about quest rewards the best that I can.

- We are working on a way to retroactively reward quest items to quests which either had broken rewards or were missing their reward by the time they made it to live servers and some people completed those quests. There are several ways in which we can do this and I'd like to find the best and most reliable method for doing so. Some are easier to do than others, and right now the method we like best will take some time to implement. We've taken steps to try and make sure that new quests do not make it to live without their rewards anymore.

- Yes, the coin rewards have been increased for all adventure quests in the game. As of the next update that will go live. There are several reasons for this decision and we knew it might upset some people who have completed large amounts of quests within the game. The change was mostly in response to looking at the state of the economy within the game and adjusting quests to have a larger income for adventurers when most items have become attuned and unable to be sold to other players once used. The area in which we could most easily increase the monetary gain by adventurers was through quests. If you were an adventurer who did large numbers of quests previously you likely had a larger number of items that you sold to other adventurers and gained the difference in that manner. We would be unable to check every quest on every player against the old reward, the new reward, and see if the item that was gained was sold to another player and how much that gained the questing character.

We will also continuously add more quests to the game with each update. There will be new quests all the time and some of the older quests will actually leave the world never to return.

- Yes, the experience is being increased for quests. This however, mostly affects the post subclass level quests (20+). This will not affect the experience values of those who have already completed the quests, but it does increase all quests completed from that day forward. We realize this may make it slightly faster for newer players to gain levels from questing, but it does affect the higher level older players at the same time. The majority of the new quests added to the game are also in the 20+ range.

- Adding status value to all quested furniture items would reduce the desirability of faction gained furniture and tradeskilled furniture. This is not to say that some significant quest items will not have status added to them (if they do not already have it) but we have to be careful that we don't ruin the market for crafters and guilds. Very often the quested furniture items cannot be gained any other way. They have a unique appearance even if they do not have any status deferment.

- We understand that those who pioneered the quests in the game with discoveries and first completions may feel this is unfair, it's not our intention to make anyone feel this way. We are attempting to preserve the long term health of the game and especially the quest system, if everyone suddenly gained large amounts of money or experience it can still have detrimental effects. Those who wanted to betray might find themselves past the level they can start the quest. Someone who wanted to experience a particular zone might gray everything out. Changes in other areas of the game in items and with the upcoming mentoring system are what prompted these changes in the quest system, those changes did not exist before this point and the quest changes are in preparation or reaction to them to balance the overall game.

To address some other concerns I've seen on the boards:

- Collection quests will be moved out of the quest journal and into a system of their own. We realize that some people fill half their journal with the collections and this was never the intention of the collections.

- Many of the Tome quests are going to have both their rewards and the quests themselves updated and modified. When we do this we will allow the quest to be redone and the previous version will still count towards your quest total.

Thanks very much for everyone's comments and concerns on this board. I hope this post answers some of the questions that have arisen from all the changes happening and give some of the reasons behind the intention of the updates.

Jason Roberts aka. Dymus

Design Supervisor, EverQuest II
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Awesone changes.

I've been bugging for retroactive quests rewards for a while now.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Cool for you guys =)
Zygar_ Cthulhukin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Zygar_ Cthulhukin »

- Collection quests will be moved out of the quest journal and into a system of their own. We realize that some people fill half their journal with the collections and this was never the intention of the collections.

Yay!
{{{(>.<)}}} (o.o) \\(^o^)// --- I DID IT!!!! -Hiro
brenen
No Stars!

Post by brenen »

Great changes :)
Glendon- 70 Dwarf Hunter / 355 Engineer
Fanali- 70 Dwarf Warrior / 355 Blacksmithing
Khadar Server

Brenen Lifegiver (Retired) - 70 Cleric
Luclin Server
Proctus
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Proctus »

This thread isn't complete without a WOW > EQ2 post.

But I digress...
Proctus Armonius
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Proctus wrote:This thread isn't complete without a WOW > EQ2 post.

But I digress...
/em eagerly awaits the digression.....
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

/eagerly doesn't
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

EQ2 > WOW :!:
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

Thanks Fash!
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

WoW is so much cooler than EQ2 that they don't have to retroactively award you quest loot because you get it the first time through!

(didn't want Miir to have to wait too long) :)
Proctus
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Proctus »

miir wrote:
Proctus wrote:This thread isn't complete without a WOW > EQ2 post.

But I digress...
/em eagerly awaits the digression.....
"But I digress..." is a joke we use at work now. If someone is talking and no one is listening (which usually happens because people are on the phones, or busy writing stuff down on paper) we just end up saying "But I digress". That usually will get peoples attention cuz they are waiting for them to continue (But they weren't listening in the first place hahah)
Proctus Armonius