Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

To WOW Players!!

Post by Animalor »

Trial it before you slam it.

I've been guilty of slamming EQ2 before actually trying it based on screenshots. Here's our chance to try the game for free and then make some actual edumacated observations!

http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/eq2_trial/
Introducing the first FREE trial of EverQuest II - Trial of the Isle (for a limited time to paying FilePlanet subscribers). Now you can experience the wonders of EverQuest II with this unique, easy to access trial. You'll be able to create up to four characters, play the tutorial and explore the Island of Refuge. No need to rush, you have up to a year to try a variety of character types and experiment with various play styles. To discover the legendary action and beauty of the world's most successful MMO franchise, download the trial today! Keys must be consumed by June 1, 2005 and expire on June 1, 2006.
There's a bit of wrongness in that I'm not a paying fileplanet subscriber and I got my trial key for the game and am in the queue to download this client now.

Worse comes to worse, I'll pay the 1 month, 5 bucks fee to have a legitimate 1st person perspective of both products.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Originally they had required a fileplanet membership to download the trial client.... I guess they saw the irony in having to pay for a free trial... It's now totally free.

It's only the newbie island, so you won't get a really good idea about the game, but it's free... so meh.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

About how good of an idea can one get of the overall game with only noob island?
Homercles
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Homercles »

Noob island is basically a tutorial. It takes you step by step thru con procedure, attack procedures, hotkeys, npc communications, basic quest set up, and a basic tradeskill tutorial. Lets you learn about waypoints and maps and such.

Noob island is for the people that dont like reading the manual (like me).

You cant get off the island til your level 7. Not sure at which level the island will grey out so you can no longer gain xp.
Robbynn
No Stars!

Post by Robbynn »

You can get 220% into lvl 6 and the zone doesn't grey out back towards the gobby tree and graveyard. So you can keep playing, you just don't get the xp.

You can get sort of a feel for the tradeskills if your into that by doing the quest in the tower. Once you complete that quest all of the other tradeskill equipment is there for you to experiment with. Only problem is supplies are some what minimal but will still give you that feel.

If you have any questions and happen to be trying the Island on Kithicor, look me up. Name is Vixana. Will help best I can :)
Proctus
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Proctus »

I played eq2 and wow. And eq2 just plain blows chunks. Happy now? =P
Proctus Armonius
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Heh, you barely got into the meat of the game at 29, Proc.

Once you start in the higher level zones and epic (raid) content, you get real feel for the game. EQ2 is a lot more fun over level 35.

I know you were really into tradeskills and despite how 'interactive' they are, it's essentailly standing still while mashing buttons.
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

miir wrote:Heh, you barely got into the meat of the game at 29, Proc.

Once you start in the higher level zones and epic (raid) content, you get real feel for the game. EQ2 is a lot more fun over level 35.

I know you were really into tradeskills and despite how 'interactive' they are, it's essentailly standing still while mashing buttons.
very true, im lvl 40 now and working on some of the hertiages (took out all but 2 fights for the FBSS yesterday) and im having more fun in eq then ever...in the high 20s/low 30s the game does get a little mundane, but high 30s and up content once you get to feerot, obelisk, RV, cazic thule and countless other zones i still havnt seen youl have a much better time, i honestly dont see how any other mmorg can compete with the higher end content of eq2
-xzionis human mage on mannoroth
-zeltharath tauren shaman on wildhammer
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

hey lets play BRICKS...

we'll drive around in a convertible, and if we see a thug, you throw a brick at it... If you hit it, we drive away! If you miss, you get the brick!!

After a few months of getting your ass beaten, it might be fun when your aim is better....
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Welp I tried it out last night.

Install went well and I was able to use that trial key with my old station account without a problem.

Controls is pretty much like old school EQ. Nothing much to say about that.

Combat I thought was odd cause monsters will path in zig-zags before coming to you so it makes it hard to target and attack stuff before it starts wailing on you.

Graphics I wasn't impresses at all with until I realised that I was set to Best Performance by default. I thought I'd have fun and kicked it up to Extreme Graphics. System handled it beautifully on noob island and I was getting about 35 fps. I imagine it's a diff story out in the real world where areas are much bigger.

Advancement seemed pretty much on par with the previous EQ. Made it to L5 in about 2-ish hours.

Quest system actualy gives you more clues than the WoW one does and draws a line you can follow for where you havta go.

If my very limited exposure, it seemed like a decent game. I still prefer WoW overall but if I ever get bored of it, I could see myself giving Sony a few month worth of business.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Advancement seemed pretty much on par with the previous EQ. Made it to L5 in about 2-ish hours.
Hehe, once you get the hang of it, you can blow through newbie island with 220% XP in level 6 in like 45 mins.

On a recent alt, I did every single quest on the island (like 24 in total) in about 3 hours. That same alt is now level 16 on 100% quest XP (combat XP disabled)... she's only left qeynos once for that one part of her subclass quest. I'm trying to see if it's possible to get to level 20 strictly on quest XP before ever leaving qeynos.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

GO GO ADDICT TEAM :razz:
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Dude, go be a faggot on the WoW forum.
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

Where does all this hostility come from Mirr? Having withdrawals? Or are you just in denial about your own sexual preferences?
Fortune favors the brave!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

No hostility at all. I just think it's childish that some people (who incedentally happen to play wow) like to post useless shit on so many threads in the EQ2 forum...
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Or are you just in denial about your own sexual preferences?
Wishful thinking?
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Miir's post is justified. Fash was being an ass, Miir told him to go fuck himself.

Conversation was civilized in this thread before Fash showed up.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

There is one of the letters in the verification page that is so messed up I can't read it.

Bah....was looking forward to that.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

i guess only lifetime station subscribers are able to crack a joke in this forum.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

No you fucking child, I just like to see threads stay on topic and not hijacked by idiots like you who seem to have nothing better to do than attention whore themselves in random forums.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

oh noes he called me a child

the topic is "TO WOW PLAYERS"

i think even sweetkastings can beat you on this one.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Which of your posts had anything at all to do with the topic?
Dumbass.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I posted this thread to other WoW players to try something before slamming it.

Did your TV have to beat you hard to kill your reading comprehension?
Homercles
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Homercles »

In Fash's defense....he did play a Templar up until level 20. So he does have grounds to evaluate the game.

That doesnt excuse his inane comments on this thread though
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

OOOOH, I played hunter in WoW up to level 33, I should go troll the WoW forums with ALL CAPS babble and mindless garbage spam!!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

So noobie island still sucks shit? Oh, I get it, I have to fucking play the game for 2 months before it gets fun. WHERE DO I SIGN UP?!? :roll:
Last edited by masteen on February 22, 2005, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

TBH, WoW doesn't really get into the meat of the game until level 34... :roll:

BTW, does this make Fash the biggest troll on the EQ2 forum, or is that still me?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

TBH, WoW doesn't really get into the meat of the game until level 34...
Unlike you, Noel, I gave both games some decent playtime before I made a decision on which one I would be playing.

Turns out I prefered EQ2 over WoW.

Is it really so hard to believe that someone would actually prefer a SOE product over a Blizzard product? Is it so hard to understand that individuals have different preferences in games? Apparently that is a difficult concept to grasp for some people judging from some of the responses in the thread in the WoW forum from a few months back.

Anyway, we should probably just shitcan this forum beacuse some of you WoW players are so fucking insecure that you feel the need to come here regularly and badmouth a game that you don't even play... basically turning this into a troll/flame forum.

And masteen, go suck a dick... from your comments about EQ2 it's pretty fucking obvious that you never even played the game.

It's funny that the maturity level of the BNet losers is starting to rub off on some WoW players. :lol:
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

miir wrote:
TBH, WoW doesn't really get into the meat of the game until level 34...
Unlike you, Noel, I gave both games some decent playtime before I made a decision on which one I would be playing.

Turns out I prefered EQ2 over WoW.

Is it really so hard to believe that someone would actually prefer a SOE product over a Blizzard product? Is it so hard to understand that individuals have different preferences in games? Apparently that is a difficult concept to grasp for some people judging from some of the responses in the thread in the WoW forum from a few months back.

Anyway, we should probably just shitcan this forum beacuse some of you WoW players are so fucking insecure that you feel the need to come here regularly and badmouth a game that you don't even play... basically turning this into a troll/flame forum.

And masteen, go suck a dick... from your comments about EQ2 it's pretty fucking obvious that you never even played the game.

It's funny that the maturity level of the BNet losers is starting to rub off on some WoW players. :lol:
This thread is titled... 'To WoW Players'. It's been over a month since I've played WoW, but last I checked this was a message board, and I don't need an EQ2 account to browse this forum.

Additionally, if your reply here was directed at my sarcastic, one-liner, post, I find it pretty sad. I didn't say anything about EQ2 being bad, or WoW being good, or anything about EQ2 players... I've said it before. If you'd like me to actually troll this forum, I'll try to find the time, but I really just don't care enough...
cid
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cid »

STFU and order me a pizza biotch!!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I don't give a fuck where you post Noel.

It's just proper forum etiquette to keep posts on topic in their respective forums. Apparently that is lost on a few posters here, so I'm just going to start spamming threads in the WoW forum with the same immature childish shit that you guys are posting here.

An eye for an eye, I suppose.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

You seem to think it's impossible that 1) someone could NOT like the whole noobie island thing and that 2) I judge a game on how much fun I have IMMEDIATELY UPON ENTERING THE GAME WORLD.

While I'll not say that the noob quests in WoW are the most intricate and amazing in the world, it doesn't take a shitload of time to burn through the Barrens and on to the next level of zones, which are, IMO, pretty amazing. Why would I want to spend double the amount of time grinding though craptactular noob content?

p.s. I still think the models in EQ2 move like reanimated corpses. Which would be cool if you had an undead race, but you don't so...
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Same basic overall rules as the whole of VeeshanVault, plus one favor that I'd ask.

If you don't like a sport, nobody cares. If there's a conversation about the Pan-Am Water Polo Games and you think water polo is for pussies, stfu and click on the next thread. We don't need someone chiming in on every thread about how they dislike some sport. If you must, go for it, but please at least have an argument to make.

Trash talking between fans of opposing rivalries is encouraged. That's one of the things that make sports great, so have at it.
This needs to be enacted here. People who play this game don't even bother reading it half the time because of absolute garbage that is posted non-stop by WoW fanbois. If you think there is a SS posted here that looks like shit, by all means speak up. We do not want to have ass hats posting in every fucking thread the kinf\d of shit that gets posted here. We have several forums that are open game for flaming if you feel the need.

Feel happy that Akaran is the mod here. I would be deleting half the garbage spewed in this forum just to make it readable by people who play EQ2.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

this is a pretty funny thread...

has anyone else read it from the top and thought my one sarcastic one-liner comment, a parody of his title, was all that bad or trollish?

after that, how else can i respond with the way he talks.

i didn't think i had to disclaim every post with my mmorpg history and play times.

i've played em all, i don't make fun of eq2 players or the game as a whole, but i can pick a little fun at features in all of them. you can't seem to accept that miir....

ya know what sucks about wow? that i cant have alchemy open and the auction hall open at the same time. that i can't, without interface addons, get enough fucking hotkeys... to name a couple..

also.. i never once created a thread in the eq2 forum after i quit playing in mid december. how you act like what you did in the wow forum was 'tit for tat' i just don't know.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

I think the nigh-elf males in WoW look utterly fucking ridiculous. I'm not fond of playing an Orc, and don't really like that I had to choose a side that limited me to specific races just so I could play with my friends. I was much more fond of being able to play whichever race I wanted ala EQ1 and go wherever I wanted.
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

Only thing I'd like is that more people besides one, two of us post constructive eq2 info.. quests, writeuos, whatever.

Wouldn't mind seeing some more traffic out for these boards either, but that's just me.
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by sarlen »

Animalor wrote:Welp I tried it out last night.

Install went well and I was able to use that trial key with my old station account without a problem.

Controls is pretty much like old school EQ. Nothing much to say about that.

Combat I thought was odd cause monsters will path in zig-zags before coming to you so it makes it hard to target and attack stuff before it starts wailing on you.

Graphics I wasn't impresses at all with until I realised that I was set to Best Performance by default. I thought I'd have fun and kicked it up to Extreme Graphics. System handled it beautifully on noob island and I was getting about 35 fps. I imagine it's a diff story out in the real world where areas are much bigger.

Quest system actualy gives you more clues than the WoW one does and draws a line you can follow for where you havta go.

Pretty much the same observations but..

Is the entire game in that letter box type of interface or is that just for the tutorial? If its the entire game I think that would anoy me to death.

Over all I think the PC models blow chunks but the world it self is by far the most spectacular graphics I have seen yet in a video game.

In combat I kept having to click attack twice. Is that normal? seemed redundant to me but couldnt find an option to turn it off.

The game it self looks good over all and is very playable, with that said, after 5 years of EQ1 I had a lot of time to become bitter to SOE. They did their best to alienate the player base for 4 and a half of those 5 years because they had the market cornered, but by the time they realized what they were doing the only thing I was waiting for was ANYTHING to release so I could get away from them (ya Im a addict). I think its interesting that SOE is now focusing/touting their customer service and the "listening to the players" bit and the release of WoW drove that point home with the mass of people who jumped ship from SOE to Blizzard.

Dont get me wrong I'm no Blizzard fanboi, I could care less who makes the game I play as long as it isnt Sony. Over 4 years of bad customer service tainted me and I would drop Blizzard in a heart beat if they become the shit stain that SOE CS became.

I'm curious about that as well.
WoW is a load of fun to play in small spurts, but I'm not sure where it's longevity will come from.
And this is Blizzards main problem right now, lack of content. I have no idea what they have in store for their players but if its not spectacular we may very well see the masses return to Sony.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

this thread needs more crying.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Is the entire game in that letter box type of interface or is that just for the tutorial? If its the entire game I think that would anoy me to death.
There's a client setting to change the size of the letterbox boders or you can get rid of them altogether.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

I am downloading the EQ2 demo as I type this post.

Of course, since I will only be able to play it to level 7ish, any opinions I form based on the gameplay in the demo will have no meaning.
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

You know, the game plays a lot at level 7 as it does at level 32 (where I'm at now). The quests are largely a bit harder and a bit more detailed and they've added a shitton of solo content. I still say the TS system is ass, but..

I can sit down and solo for an hour, make a few %'s of exp and maybe even knock out a quest. Or I can get some older quests out of my journal.. I level too fast to accomplish every quest for the level range assigned to it.

Biggest gripe I have with lag isn't in large outdoor areas - it's in tight dungeons with humanoid mobs. Non humanoids don't give me anywhere near as much of a problem. Zones that really offend that are places like VS and CoB.. Stormhold to a small limit. On the other hand, you can adventure exclusively in outside zones if you want with few problems. Granted, the exp isn't as good, but not all dungeons are laggy... you learn quickly where the laggy parts are, too.

But, these are my opinions and are as notworthy as the brown stain on your toilet paper.
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

noel wrote:I am downloading the EQ2 demo as I type this post.

Of course, since I will only be able to play it to level 7ish, any opinions I form based on the gameplay in the demo will have no meaning.
You're a bitter little boy.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

miir wrote:

Or is that a bittle litter boy?
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Hey, I'm just going by your statements. According to you, you don't really get into the game until 35+, and the opening isle is only supposed to go to level 7. That said, I'm not sure why I'm going to try it out at all... :roll:

You should be happy though. If it wasn't for your incessant whining about what a perfect game it is, and how I've never even played it, I probably wouldn't have downloaded it at all.

Not having played it yet, I can say that the graphics don't really bother me (from the screenshots I've seen) as much as they do some other people on this board.

Let me know what server you're on Miir so we can hook up!
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Ok, so I install the client, and I sit patiently waiting for the client to patch.

During the patching, I happen to glance at the client and I see this:
The EQ2 patcher (I can't make this shit up people) wrote:Most romantic spot?
Seriously, seriously, seriously what the fuck is wrong with people?

(Note to Miir: This is in no way a slam on EQ2... rather a slam on people)
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

miir wrote:

You're the one spamming every active thread in the WoW forum.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Noel, you're a fucking idiot.
Die in a carfire little troll boy.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Truant wrote:You're the one spamming every active thread in the WoW forum.
Let me see....

There are 170 threads in the WoW forum.
In a 24 hour period I started 2 threads and posted on 4 others.

Whaaaaa!
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Out of curiosity, how does archery work in EQ2?

I managed to get to level 3 last night, and I was using some kind of dagger/dirk.

Is archery completely gay like in EQ1? Or can it be your primary weapon for the majority of the time in the game?
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

miir wrote:
Truant wrote:You're the one spamming every active thread in the WoW forum.
Let me see....

There are 170 threads in the WoW forum.
In a 24 hour period I started 2 threads and posted on 4 others.

Whaaaaa!
I've maybe started 2 threads on this entire forum in 2.5 years.
miir and I are best friends. <3