A no meat diet plan?

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Doofy
No Stars!

A no meat diet plan?

Post by Doofy »

hi i was wondering if any of you had any recipes that had little to no meat in it, that being any kind, not just beef, and if you could post them.

I'm trying to get from 180 to 150lbs and my friend recently lost 20 pounds on this type of diet, so i thought I'd give it a shot.

My usual exercise routine is just working for 4 hours as a package handler at fed ex, semi-strenuous work. but i also do a lot of hiking and try to jog 30 minutes a day, as well as just walking around college.

oh yeah, i also take Redline, it helps with the energy a lot.

If you guys have any advice, please I could sorely use some, heh.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

I hope you're a fan of soy products :lol: .

If you're going to actually cook like this for yourself, there are vegetarian cookbooks out there. Personally, that'd be the first place I'd look to. I don't think I've ever cooked a dinner that didn't have some type of meat/poultry/fish in it somewhere.
But I guess you can look at different pastas in the short term. It's pretty versatile from regular marinara spaghetti to a linguini with sauteed artichokes. However, pasta is pretty potent in the calorie department so it may be counterproductive. Even 1 cup of cooked pasta, which doesn't like like very much on a plate, can be considered two servings worth in some recipes.
Nilaman
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Nilaman »

Grilled cheese.

That is all.
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

By no meat, do you also include no fish?

Stir fry, grill or roast some veggies, whichever variety you like.
Doofy
No Stars!

Post by Doofy »

I think I'd be willing to work fish in at most about once or twice a week, or chicken, absolutely no red meat though.

I've tried some soy, but it was morningstar farms soy products, and i hear that Morningstar is bottom of the barrell as far as good soy foods go, what kind would you suggest?
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Morningstar makes tasty soy sausage patties. My wife and I sometimes fry an egg, toast a light muffin and you have a low calorie sausage and egg sandwich. Really quite good.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Do not go the pasta route. Pasta is the classic "non-vegetarians cook this for vegetarians because they don't know what to cook" meal. Many restaurants feature only one or two vegetarian dishes, and it's invariably pasta. If you stick with a vegetarian diet for any extended period of time I guarantee that you will get really fucking sick of pasta. You can cook it, and it will be good in a pinch, but don't just think "oh, i'll just make pasta and work from there," you'll regret it.

Making vegetable stir fries is easy and produces a huge variety of combinations. Basically:

Chop vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, onions, garlic, scallions, peppers, bean sprouts, etc etc etc)
Heat oil in Wok
Put vegetables in wok, starting with those that'll take longer to cook
Keep stirring
Add other vegetables, along with spices sauces or flavors
Keep stirring til done

There's really a huge variety you can do. For instance, a basic, quick one might be:

Heat olive/garlic/chili oil in wok
Torch cumin seeds in oil
Add carrots, broccoli, and garlic
Toss on some sesame oil, soy sauce, and rice vinegar
Add mushrooms and cabbage
More liquids as necessary

I find that citrus can be a good compliment. I'll often squeeze limes or lemons directly into the wok, or cut slices from them and fry them with everything else. Oranges work well that way too.

You can also use a sauce in lieu of spices and liquids and whatnot. Lots of companies sell premade stir fry sauces. Alternately, you can easily construct a lot of oriental sauces with soy sauce, various vinegars, sake, hoison sauce, cornstarch, and so on. You can find recipes on the internet easily enough.

Sometimes you are going to want to make a starch to go along with vegetables. You can cook rice (brown is better than white) as a complement. You can boil rice noodles and throw them into the wok with the vegetables. You can cook potatoes along with the rest of the vegetables, but if you fry them, make sure you give them a big head start as they take a long time to cook. If you're concerned about protein, fry up some eggs seperately, slice them up, and throw them in.

If you want to mix up the style on the vegetables, bake them. Toss them with a little olive oil (or sesame or whatever) and whatever spices you like, put them in a baking pan, and put them in the oven at 400 or so for awhile. Stir them every now and then.

Some of the soy stuff is pretty good. Pick and choose to find out what you like. I'm a fan of soy meatballs and tomato-basil burgers. The soy shit that you find frozen in your supermarket might not be top of the line, but it's every bit as good as the grade d beef that's probably frozen alongside it.

I'm not a nutritional expert by any means (or even a vegetarian), but this stuff works pretty well if you're willing to improvise for a few months.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Chidoro wrote:Morningstar makes tasty soy sausage patties. My wife and I sometimes fry an egg, toast a light muffin and you have a low calorie sausage and egg sandwich. Really quite good.
I'll second morningstar. I used to eat their "hamburger" and both the grilled and breaded "chicken" on sandwhiches.

Quite good.