Get ready to protest!

What do you think about the world?
Brotha
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Get ready to protest!

Post by Brotha »

I seriously want some pictures of this protest. They might even make the degenerate anti-war protestors look good...

Star Trek: Enterprise fans up in arms about the show's cancellation, watch out UPN!

http://www.tvshowboards.com/startrek/vi ... 0204045054
Enterprise Project founder MJ Rogers and other members of Enterprise Project will be in Los Angeles on February 10, 2005 to visit Paramount and UPN with press statements and with viewer petitions on behalf of "Star Trek: Enterprise". A second event in New York will occur later in the month.

The visit to Paramount is currently scheduled for 8:00 am, and the visit to UPN at 9:00 am.

All Enterprise fans available are invited to be present for both events, meeting across from both sites on that day.

Additionally, Bonita Fredericy, wife of Enterprise actor John Billingsley ("Phlox"), will be performing in "The Orange Grove" (an adaptation of Anton Checkov's "The Cherry Orchard") in the Los Angeles area that evening. Plans are being made for Enterprise fans to attend the play in the evening.

An additional event is planned for the week of February 21, 2005 in New York at Viacom headquarters. More information will be available later.

Fans who wish to sign petitions, and any who may be able to attend either the Los Angeles or New York event, are asked to email ENTPetitions@aol.com. To sign the petitions, fans are asked to send their names (real names, please) and home towns to the above address.
http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?s ... 47&t=24190
Los Angeles Rally?
Can you be in LA real soon? Would you rally with other fans outside Paramount, CBS and UPN? Contact Tim NOW at tim@saveenterprise.com!
Freedom of speech makes it much easier to spot the idiots.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Which would be a waste of time. Companies don't care about fans. It's the bottom line they care about. If people aren't watching they show they're losing money.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

basically the 4th season has 50% of the ratings of the 1st season.

The show has a high production cost because of elaborate sets, costumes, effects, etc.

those 2 factors mean its time to call it quits.

"the fans" weren't watching the show like they were in seasons past.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

im all for the continuation of the star trek fiction....

but enterprise totally lost me with that fuckin gay theme song, and some stupid aspects they added solely for sex appeal...

and yeah.. a petition isn't going to do shit if their bottom line showed a need to axe it... now a petition with advertiser support pledging to keep the show loaded with ads, now that might work.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Aruman
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Aruman »

I'm not a Trekkie, but I think Enterprise is much better than Voyager or DS9 (not saying much there though).

It would be a shame to see Enterprise cancelled.

Yeah, the theme song is pretty lame, but the show itself isn't all that bad.
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

I love Enterprise and I have watched it since inception until this year when they moved it to Friday night... that is the night I take my family out every week so I've only seen like 2 episodes. UPN killed it when they moved it from Wednesday. I love Battlestar Gallactica as well but often miss it due to the same reason... Geeks have life too... especially if they have kids.

Marb
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

Marb:

DVR

Also Battlestar Gallactic replays Monday nights at 10pm
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

Aruman wrote:I'm not a Trekkie, but I think Enterprise is much better than Voyager or DS9 (not saying much there though).

Are you kidding me? DS9 was awesome.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Krimson Klaw wrote:
Aruman wrote:I'm not a Trekkie, but I think Enterprise is much better than Voyager or DS9 (not saying much there though).

Are you kidding me? DS9 was awesome.
DS9 > Voyager > Enterprise

Jerri Ryan skews the results for some people.. as does Joelene..

Anyway, all geekness aside, it's a shame they're killing it off just when the writing was starting to pick up, but revenue is revenue.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Yea I really need to get a DVR keep putting it off because I was going to build a Linux box to do it but can't find the time with work, kids, WoW etc...

Marb

PS- DS
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

DVRs are so cheap now, its not worth my time to build my own, let alone troubleshoot it etc.

i'm with you, i like the idea of doing it myself, etc, but we arent single guys anymore. who has the time!
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

I have never understood peoples fascination with the show..ive seen two movies and maybe watched 2 or 3 15 min segments of that show over the years (i could bare anymore) the effects are so damn cheesy and the plots so damn weak...people need to find a better thing to obsess over
-xzionis human mage on mannoroth
-zeltharath tauren shaman on wildhammer
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

People like different things. For example, 'Friends' was on about 8 seasons too many. I like ST:TNG. But I didn't really watch them after that. I tried to get into DS:9 but just couldn't.

Vogayer reminded me of Gilligans Island but in outer space.

Enterprise I don't think I ever saw.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

TiVo is your friend.

Star Trek and TNG I watched. (Star Trek reruns of course!)

Lately I've been very selective with weekly series I watch with so many other things to do with your time these days. Battlestar Gallactica beats out the latest form of Star Trek for quality. I'm sure Star Trek will be back again in another form not long from now. It just needs a year or two to put people back into "remember the good old days" mode and start demanding it again...then the cycle repeats for another 4 seasons or so.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Star Trek will live on. I agree that Enterprise was just starting to pick up. Exploring the history of the Federation, the first encounters with the Romulans, this was going to be a great season. The first thing that needs to happen is get rid of Berman and Braga, the producers after Roddenberry died. We need fresh blood for this series to continue in all it's glory.

For the record,

TNG>DS9>Enterprise>TOS>shit can of beans and rice>talking to Cartalas>Voyager
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Kaldaur wrote:Star Trek will live on. I agree that Enterprise was just starting to pick up. Exploring the history of the Federation, the first encounters with the Romulans, this was going to be a great season. The first thing that needs to happen is get rid of Berman and Braga, the producers after Roddenberry died. We need fresh blood for this series to continue in all it's glory.

For the record,

TNG>DS9>Enterprise>TOS>shit can of beans and rice>talking to Cartalas>Voyager

Well at least I beat out Voyager
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I like Enterprise. It has the action and sex appeal that the original series had. I don't like any series over the other but I do like the action in the shows. The best ST:TNG episode were when they were fighting the Borg or something similar. DS9 picked up when they fought the Dominion. Voyager with the Borg as well. This series is really cool in that it introduces you to the races that were taken for granted in the other shows and also ties in a bit of the history that the other shows make reference to and are built off of.

The few things that I don't really care for in the new series are the theme song and their dependence on Time Travel and such.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Wow, they moved the show to Friday night to compete against the SciFi UberGeek lineup of SG-1, SG Atlantis, and Battlestar. The ratings go down, IMAGINE THAT?!?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

Enterprise is on late Sunday night in my town. I could never really get into it. I liked the other series because they were constantly expanding the universe. I didn't like the idea of going back to the beginning of it all. I was also annoyed by the vulcan chick. Something about her character just irks me. She is tryign to come across as always serious but she just looks like a bitch who needs to get laid. She is no Spock!!

I actually liked Voyager because they were constantly exploring and seeing new things. TNG went a few seasons too long when they stopped having cool adventures and spent too much time on individual characters.
Deward
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

Moving a show like Star Trek to a Friday night time slot was a death sentence. The original series was moved to Friday in its third season, and that was it, because most of its viewing audience went out on Friday nights. Enterprise just didn't have a chance; that, and the first two seasons were bland and uninspiring. Most viewers won't give a show a second chance.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

i was a big DS9 fan for the first 3 or 4 years until they moved it to some really shitty day/time and then i never saw it again.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kaldaur wrote:Moving a show like Star Trek to a Friday night time slot was a death sentence. The original series was moved to Friday in its third season, and that was it, because most of its viewing audience went out on Friday nights.
Battlestar Galactica is on Friday nights. Doesn't Nielsen take DVRs into account these days? I heard that they tracked what was recorded now so even if you're out on Friday, recordning the show would help with the ratings if you were one of the chosen few with the rating boxes.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

Ahh, we still tape our shows by VHS at home. I don't believe they track those. However, following ratings by DVR will be a help to those shows which could have lots of viewers except for a bad timeslot.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

Nielsen does not track DVR use yet.

2006 (or maybe late 2005), Nielsen will double their sample, and also track all DVR views of a show within 1 week of its original air date.

It won't track that you recorded it, it will only track if you view it.

As for VCR material, i think if you are a Nielsen diary user (handwritten diaries are used in small markets) you can indicate watching something taped. I'm not sure how that factors into the ratings.

Anyway, thats just what a guy in Research told me, so it may or may not be 100% true.

They should give me a box :p
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

The ratings system is messed up at best, but can you imagine what would be on TV if they gave out boxes to their friends and family? Monday prime time: The I love Lucy marathon. Tuesday: sci-fi. Wednesday: wrestling. Thursday: something with "monster" in the title. Friday: Hard core pr0n. Sat-sun: football/baseball.

Hrmm, then again, I could go without watching TV on Mondays..
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

the primary reason for the creation of Nielsen ratings was for the benefit of advertisers by the way, not the broadcasters. It allows for an estimate of what in fact the advertiser is paying for when they buy commercials.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Voronwë wrote:Nielsen does not track DVR use yet.

2006 (or maybe late 2005), Nielsen will double their sample, and also track all DVR views of a show within 1 week of its original air date.

It won't track that you recorded it, it will only track if you view it.
I will tell all of my Trekkie geek friends to record all episodes and set them to play at 3am even if they aren't watching, Nielson will think they are!

TiVO is a two-way system. Each week, the machine dials in and gives TiVO info on what you watched. I bet they have the most accurate info on what people watch.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Speaking of Star Trek, I just saw Tuvok on ER. Gnaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!