24" LCD Monitors (Discussion and Pictures)

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: 24" LCD Monitors (Discussion and Pictures)

Post by Aslanna »

Aslanna wrote:Nearly 10 years later my 2405 is still chugging along as my secondary monitor. Only real issue is some 'dead' pixels in the middle due to an unfortunate mouse bounce.
So I had a power surge today.. Power went out then came back on like half strength for a few seconds before going out again for about 5 minutes.. When it finally came back my main display (2408) was all screwed up. I figured it was the video card but when I moved the secondary input (which was working fine on the 2405) it was still messed up so I guess my monitor got hosed even though it's on a surge protector.

Now comes monitor shopping time again I guess. Yay! I am not sure I'll go with another Dell but regardless, it's lame. I'd rather it have been the video card that way I'd have an excuse to upgrade to a 1070 or 1080.

I'll probably just go with the Dell U2415 (16:10 yay!) or the U2417HJ (16:9 boooo) although the 'IPS glow' doesn't sound like a nice thing. One good thing as that these aren't $800 like they were back in 2005. I'd go 27" but that wouldn't fit all that well on my desk with how I have things currently set up. Perhaps for my next monitor after this one I'll look into something like that. The 34" Ultrawides seem interesting but apparently a lot of backbleed with most of them like the Dell U3415W which is why you can find that one fairly cheap. I was hoping Dell would have come out with a '16 model that addressed that but I guess not!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

That lasted a long time!

My monitors are all TVs now. I'm starting to research 4K HDR TVs that have decent refresh rates. Will probably go with a 46-55 ish TV and place my current two 46" Samsungs on either side. I can't imagine ever having less than three monitors again. Can still have Vive hooked up at same time as the "4th" monitor.

Two benefits to large (TV size) monitors. 1, I don't have to wear classes. With 27 and under, I kind of need to use computer glasses (low magnification) to see them comfortably. 2, large monitors are light as a feather these days so easy to deal with. They also are super cheap power consumers as well these days.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I unplugged it for awhile then plugged it back in and it seems to be working once again. Whew! Not liking any of the current monitors out there so hopefully I can get another year or two out of these as I don't need the extra expense of a $300 monitor. Seems weird though! I hadn't encountered issues like that before.

But yeah my monitors are now 11 and 8 years old. The 2408 still looks nice and bright although the whites on the 2405 are faded a bit. It's still fine for a secondary monitor although I wouldn't use it for anything where color accuracy is important.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Was about to suggest you unplug for a day. The monitor didn't get surged, it got brown outed. But either way, usually just need all the caps to be let to run down unplugged, let the board reset, sometimes its that simple. Works with TV's too...

I have my home theatre and my PC setup all on UPS now, after I went through this about 7 years ago. For $150, you can get a 1500va UPS that will power your whole PC setup I'm sure.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Kluden wrote:Was about to suggest you unplug for a day. The monitor didn't get surged, it got brown outed. But either way, usually just need all the caps to be let to run down unplugged, let the board reset, sometimes its that simple. Works with TV's too...

I have my home theatre and my PC setup all on UPS now, after I went through this about 7 years ago. For $150, you can get a 1500va UPS that will power your whole PC setup I'm sure.
Yeah, that's what I have for my important electronics; I think it's well worth it.