24" LCD Monitors (Discussion and Pictures)

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

24" LCD Monitors (Discussion and Pictures)

Post by Winnow »

I played around with these two monitors at Fry's today and may have drooled a bit while doing so.

I've been debating back and forth between the 21.3" and 24" screens.

The difference being

21.3 = 1600X1200
24 = 1920X1200 (Widescreen)

I pulled up a 1600X1200 image on the 1920X1200 screen so see how much space I'd miss. (basically a 300X1200 strip) It's significant but I'm not sure the price justifies the extra size.

21.3 = ~849.00
24= ~1,699.00

That's double the price for 300X1200 more. I'm thinking I could buy two 21.3 monitors for the same price as the 24 and have a tons of screen space.

The image on these Samsungs is ultra sharp. The colors and brightness are really amazing (to me at least) I've been concerned about viewing angles with LCD monitors but these are better than average in that department as well. Ghosting didn't appear to be a problem either.

Both 21.3 and 24 have pivoting screens making it easy to rotate them into portrait mode while reading comics (important! : )

I originally made this post to see if anyone had the 24 inch Samsung but I doubt they're very common as they've been 2K until recently. Does anyone have the 21.3 inch Samsung? I haven't found a review anywhere that recommends another brand over the Samsungs at the 21 and 24 inch size range. The Sony's, even with a lower ms listed, have more reports of ghosting.

edit: doh. Can a mod please move this to the computer section? : )
Last edited by Winnow on October 4, 2006, 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

fucking liberals
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Voronwë wrote:fucking liberals
LCD monitors save energy and help save the planet. Liberals should love them. I'm reaching out here and trying to make a peace gesture.
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

He's just telling you what he is doing right now. :)

You know, like: AFK, fucking liberals...
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Lohrno wrote:He's just telling you what he is doing right now. :)

You know, like: AFK, fucking liberals...
LOL

Remember, you have to bust out the Epilady first.... or suffer the nasty rug burn
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

21.3 = ~849.00
24= ~1,699.00
Makes it an easy choice unless you're Bill Gates.

But yeah I've been looking at LCD displays lately as well for a second monitor as they've been coming down in price a bit. Would probably get a 19" though since I can't see spending $850 on a monitor.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

Moonwynd wrote: Remember, you have to bust out the Epilady first.... or suffer the nasty rug burn
Seems like that would be for people who are conservative in using of shaving instruments...
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Haha Voro :lol:
Aruman
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Re: Samsung 213T and Samsung 243T LCD monitors

Post by Aruman »

Winnow wrote:I played around with these two monitors at Fry's today and may have drooled a bit while doing so.

I've been debating back and forth between the 21.3" and 24" screens.

The difference being

21.3 = 1600X1200
24 = 1920X1200 (Widescreen)

I pulled up a 1600X1200 image on the 1920X1200 screen so see how much space I'd miss. (basically a 300X1200 strip) It's significant but I'm not sure the price justifies the extra size.

21.3 = ~849.00
24= ~1,699.00

That's double the price for 300X1200 more. I'm thinking I could buy two 21.3 monitors for the same price as the 24 and have a tons of screen space.

The image on these Samsungs is ultra sharp. The colors and brightness are really amazing (to me at least) I've been concerned about viewing angles with LCD monitors but these are better than average in that department as well. Ghosting didn't appear to be a problem either.

Both 21.3 and 24 have pivoting screens making it easy to rotate them into portrait mode while reading comics (important! : )

I originally made this post to see if anyone had the 24 inch Samsung but I doubt they're very common as they've been 2K until recently. Does anyone have the 21.3 inch Samsung? I haven't found a review anywhere that recommends another brand over the Samsungs at the 21 and 24 inch size range. The Sony's, even with a lower ms listed, have more reports of ghosting.

edit: doh. Can a mod please move this to the computer section? : )
Make sure you check the response times Winnow.

You want one around I believe a 16ms response time to be able to use them for gaming.

25ms and you will have ghosting.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
21.3 = ~849.00
24= ~1,699.00
Makes it an easy choice unless you're Bill Gates.

But yeah I've been looking at LCD displays lately as well for a second monitor as they've been coming down in price a bit. Would probably get a 19" though since I can't see spending $850 on a monitor.
For me, I want the 21.3 for the 1600X1200 resolution. I seem to be able to get 4 useful quadrants of the screen at that size unless Dregors avatar is involved. 19" LCDs top out at 1280X1024. I was impressed with what I could cram onto the larger resolution screen. (and the pivoting landscape/portrait feature) If 1280X1024 works for you, the 19"ers are much less expensive.

Check out user reviews at Newegg as one of your research sources. They're usually pretty honest and useful for the most part.

Aruman,
These Samsungs have slightly higher ms than the 16 you mention but in actual performance tests and reading lots of user reviews, the Samsungs ghost less than the lower ms Sony screens. There must be something else involved in determining ghosting as well. Plus, I've seen them in action first hand so I know they're fine in a 3rd person shooter if I need it to do that.

The nice thing about Fry's is being able to check out a ton of LCDs close together for viewing angles etc. That's one thing I'm glad I got a chance to see first hand as the Samsungs have a wider viewing angle than the rest of the pack.
Aruman
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Aruman »

I really don't know what else it could be that causes ghosting...

Response time is pretty much the only thing that could affect it that I know of.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

WTF BULLSHIT MODS FUCKING CENSORING THIS FUCKING SHIT> BY MOVING IT!!!!

THIS IS WORSE THAN IGNVAULT!!!!!!!!
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

Wait a year or two. LCD screens have been dropping in price something like 30% a year. By then my old 1995 21" CRT should be dead.
Deward
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Not sure because I am not at home atm but I do believe that I have the Samsung 21.3 that you are talking about. Ofcourse when I bought it back in July it was about $1100 (a point which my wife will never let me forget). I love it personally. I bought it through Newegg. I had 0 dead pixels so no heartaches there. It takes over 7 pixels dead before the company will replace it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bubba Grizz wrote:Not sure because I am not at home atm but I do believe that I have the Samsung 21.3 that you are talking about. Ofcourse when I bought it back in July it was about $1100 (a point which my wife will never let me forget). I love it personally. I bought it through Newegg. I had 0 dead pixels so no heartaches there. It takes over 7 pixels dead before the company will replace it.
That sounds like the right price range for that time period Bubba.

I'll probably get mine through Newegg as well as I don't have to mess with the 100.00 rebate and no tax doesn't hurt either.

BTW, if you have like 4 pixels and want to return it, there's other ways to disable a monitor to get a new one : ) From all I've read, 99% of the people have had zero dead pixels with these.

Anything negative? You mentioned you loved it. I couldn't find any issues with viewing angles (especially compared to other LCD brands) and the picture was perfect for my taste.
Zeep
No Stars!

Post by Zeep »

Have you looked at the Dell 2001FP? I hear good things, but I don't know how it compares to the Samsung. For $600 bucks though it might be worth a look. 1600x1200 with 16ms response.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zeep wrote:Have you looked at the Dell 2001FP? I hear good things, but I don't know how it compares to the Samsung. For $600 bucks though it might be worth a look. 1600x1200 with 16ms response.
Zeep!

I did check it out. It looks like a great choice as well. Check out this huge thread regarding the Dell 2005FPW.

You might want to check it out Aslanna for the extra resolution if a price between 19" and 21 inchers is attractive.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=830031

The only bad was some light leakage but overall, the monitors (2005FPW and 2001FP are nice.

I'm sticking with the standard size Samsung 213T for the extra size and lack of the backlight leakage issue (which probably isn't a huge deal)
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Winnow read your PM on IRC... sent you a link with a coupon code to get the 20.1 inch 2001fp for 530 bucks shipped!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bah,

I'm going to wait a few weeks and get the new Dell 24" for $1,199.00

The 24" Widescreen Samsung that goes for 1699.99 now is just plain awesome when seen in person, so if I can get the same thing for $1,199.00 I think I can justify that to myself! : )

Mmm 1920X1200.

Dell 24"

It appears to slightly improve upon Samsungs ms (16ms compared to 30ms), contrast is 1000:1 compared to 500:1, bightness is 500 nits (whatever a nit is!) and adds some useful card reader and USB ports on the side.

Dell 24" pricing info

I'm sure Samsung's 21.3 and 24" will plummet in prie March first. They both have current 100.00 rebates that end Feb 28th. Dells new LCD is due out March first so I expect them to match the pricing.

edit:
With S-Video, composite and component inputs, the 2405FPW can be hooked up to a video camera, gaming console, DVD player or cable box. Picture-in-picture (PIP) and picture-by-picture (PBP) modes(d), which can be enabled with the touch of a button, allow users to watch content from a video input and view their PC simultaneously, on a single display.
Now that's cool.

Here's the huge thread if anyone's interested:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php ... ge=1&pp=20

I predict this thing will fly off the shelves. I bet there will be a serious problem keeping up with the demand.

Here's a review:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1 ... 466,00.asp
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Heh, was just gonna mention the 2405 and 2005 here... Im going for a 2005 next time it drops to $550... which it does about twice a month...

http://www.slickdeals.net is your friend...
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's some picts and info. The panels used are brand new from Samsung who had been making the best panels already.

$1.199 retail with a cheaper street price is going to destroy Apple's over priced 23" LCD. (much hate for Apple and their price gauging on every product they sell) It's better in every way than the Apple LCD and 600.00 cheaper. This is good news for everyone as LCD monitors should drop across the board. Samsung will be coming out with their own models and are selling the new low cost 24" panels to any manufacturer that wants them.

Dell better have like 50,000 of these things March 1st. I've been reading the various tech geek sites and people are drooling over them, lining up to buy. It's one of those industry changing releases with a price and quality that blows away everything previously released in it's category.

Samsung is going to have to price their current 243T's (currently 1699) at around 999.00 to make way for these better panels and their own models...even at 999.00, the 243T is too close to the price of this new uber 24" LCD with added PIP, Component, Card reader, USB, etc features on top of the better quality panels.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

that thing is incredible...

now it's second only to the apple 30"

:)
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
nobody
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by nobody »

i heard on a local am consumer radio show to wait to buy any of that stuff b/c in a year the prices will drop considerably more than they already have. :? dunno though i'm not teh it geek. i break stuff for a living, not fix it.
My goal is to live forever. So far so good.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. - Benjamin Franklin

خودتان را بگای
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

nobody wrote:i heard on a local am consumer radio show to wait to buy any of that stuff b/c in a year the prices will drop considerably more than they already have. :? dunno though i'm not teh it geek. i break stuff for a living, not fix it.
They said that last year, and the year before, and the year before. This represents the price drop.

You can always wait...could wait until you're dead too. It's a balance between taking advantage of things now and procrastinating your life away.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Winnow wrote:They said that last year, and the year before, and the year before. This represents the price drop.

You can always wait...could wait until you're dead too. It's a balance between taking advantage of things now and procrastinating your life away.
That is so true. People kept telling me to wait to buy something. If I waited long enough, the price would drop, but something better would come along and I would want that instead.

I say fuck it now. I just buy it unless I know of an upcoming sale somewhere.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Lynks wrote:
Winnow wrote:They said that last year, and the year before, and the year before. This represents the price drop.

That is so true. People kept telling me to wait to buy something. If I waited long enough, the price would drop, but something better would come along and I would want that instead.

I say fuck it now. I just buy it unless I know of an upcoming sale somewhere.
Exactly. Always do your research before buying to find any obvious things that might be coming down the pike in the time frame you wish to buy but then pull the trigger and buy it.

The reason I took a little longer on the Samsung LCD purchase was the length of time they had been out in the market...I also was aware of the rebate ending 2/28 which meant something was right aroung the corner.

When something new comes out that's better than the last generation and also cheaper, that's a good combination and the buy light should come on. If this new model wasn't that much better, I'd grab the 243T on sale (if for example the new model ended up using the same panels and cost 1699.00 like the old ones are currently at, indicating just fluff extras were improved like card reader and PiP.

If you're not in the market for maybe 3-4 months, then you'll probably have Samsungs own new 24" models to compare to the Dells (both using same panels).

It's also a good idea to consider getting an Nvidia 6600GT for the dual DVI outs (or any card with dual DVI outs which are rarer than they should be..you don't want to be using analog out with a digital monitor) so you can take advantage of two LCD monitors in the future and not waste the one you buy when you upgrade next time. I'm stuck with a 6800GT now that only has one DVI out which goes to my projector and have to buy an extra card to run LCD computer/projector combo.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

A japanese guy posted a review (no clue what he said) and some pictures of the new 2405FPW. He did some comparisons with the already large 1600X1200 2001FP screen to give an idea of the difference that and 1920X1600.

The pictures are large so I'll link them.

Here's the side of the monitor with the card reader and USB ports:

With the monitors in portrait mode, here's the bottom inputs: (yay component inputs)

Side by side comparison of 24" and 20"

Portrait comparison giving idea of extra screen space. both would be 1200 across so it's the extra 320X1200 on the bottom.

Example of Picture in Picture mode. You'll notice a little black space above and below the main screen...that's because 1920X1200 is 16:10 ratio while HDTV is 16:9. Nice to have the extra space for regular computing.

Here's the side by side dual picture mode. There's lots of wasted space on top and bottom of screen but you could easily surf or work and watch a nice sice picture of a movie or TV at the same time. If I did this, i'd choose a lower resolution or at least a 4:3 resolution so I could use more of the screen on the computer side...I wonder if a portrait resolution could be used on that side of the screen to utilize almost all of the area.

Here's PiP with a console game playing in the corner..I would have loved to have had EQ playing in the corner while watching TV back in the day (images easily swappable for when MALO needed!...although could just play in small window if needed)

The monitor is capable of 1:1 pixel mapping which means nothing ever needs to be distorted. If a game only plays in 1600X1200 mode, you can use just 1600X1200 of the screen instead of an aspect ratio or a stretch mode.

Here's 1600X1200 on the screen

Some bonus television pics with japanese women for stragi

Another comparison shot

Nice pictures but the guy should have opened more windows instead of just opening one huge Internet Explorer window. That certainly doesn't show how best to use all of that space effectively at that high resolution.
Last edited by Winnow on June 25, 2005, 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

That Dell 24" looks pretty nice. I'd probably consider purchasing that if it can be found for $900 or less when it comes out.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:That Dell 24" looks pretty nice. I'd probably consider purchasing that if it can be found for $900 or less when it comes out.
I'll be keeping an eye out for Dell's coupon thingies. I'll post it here if/when I find one. Should be able to get 10-15% off and 25% if lucky. My guess is something like 15% within the first month of release (it's available for purchase starting this Tuesday, March 1st) 15% would get it close to the 1000.00 mark from it's 1200.00 retail price.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Looks like 10% at the present time.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... e=external

Need some coupons or something!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Looks like 10% at the present time.

I ordered it this morning : ) Been in meetings or I would have posted that link earlier.

Free shipping on that 1079.00 price. I upgraded to 2nd day for 24.00.

Woo! I was so tempted to buy two of them. I received an unexpected check in the mail for 2.5K yesterday and had already set aside money for the monitor. I came to my senses and will check the first one out and if it's as nice as it appears to be, get another one later if a sale comes along. 1079.00 isn't bad though. I hope I get it by next week. There seems to be crazy demand for it...reading the tech boards was similar to watching people line up for the opening of a star wars movie to be first to buy.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Looks like 10% at the present time.

If you're not already, keep an eye on this thread:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=867944

It's very active with people buying the monitor and posting the price they're getting etc. I'm sure it can be had for cheaper but 1079 works for me without hassle and wanting it fast before backorder status etc.

Edit: I ordered it this morning but shipping day says "by March 25th"

I hope it's earlier than that. The sales rep said 4-5 business days. I see someone else got a ship by date of March 28th but one person had March 7th. Damn...I might eBay it for 2K if I get it early! :!:
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I grabbed a Fujitsu N6010 Laptop today. <3 Newegg.

1604.00 with an additional 50.00 mail in on top of the 150.00 instant rebate was too good to pass up.

It's a DTR (desktop replacement) type laptop so it's big. I grabbed it because it had the best looking screen of any laptop I've seen. I checked it out at Fry's first.

I considered the 1920X1200 Dell XPS 2 that just came out but that would cost another 700.00 or so with current shipping dates of mid April. If you need a game machine though, the new 256mb Go 6800 Ultra card in the XPS 2 machine is almost as fast as a 6800Ultra and faster than a GT6800 desktop version. I don't need that for reading comics! I do need the most visually appealing display so the N6010 should do the trick.

Here's some comments on the Fujitsu N6010:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2221

and here

http://notebookforums.com/showthread.ph ... ge=1&pp=15

I need more unexpected money to fall in my lap.

Great deal for what you get in this laptop. If it's going to be your main computer, get the Dell XPS 2. It will be a few months and more expensive but they will perform every bit as well as the 6800GT to 6800Ultra desktop equipped computers do.

The Newegg link for Fujitsu N6010:
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Some new pictures are coming in from people that have received their 2405FPW's. (mine hasn't shipped yet)

The early word is no ghosting in games and zero dead pixels. Someone compared the new monitor to the 243T side by side and said the ghosting you could see on the 243T was gone on the new panel. Samsung has also updated the specs on the panel to 8ms.

The picts were quickly taken by the new owners but you can see the positives.

The other monitor in this picure is a 19" Sony:

Half Life 2 on the 2405FPW

Last edited by Winnow on June 25, 2005, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I've had this monitor for a week now. The retail price was too high but I was able to get it for $840 (plus tax) although I did have to buy a UPS along with it. Which wasn't a big deal since I've been putting off buying a UPS for awhile so I actually needed one. So there are some good deals out there. Will they last? Will the deals get even better if you hold out? I don't know. The displays seem fairly popular at the moment so I'm thinking those sort of deals wont be as common.

Anyway, initial impressions are good. I received one with no dead pixels which was one of my major concerns. Colors were a bit washed out when setup from out of the box. But ater some adjusting it's bright and colorful so that's no longer an issue. Text is crisp and easy to read as well.

Ghosting.. I haven't noticed any. I don't play FPS games so that's not a problem with me really. Looks great for EQ. My frame rate dips (15 seems to be the average) when a lot of AEs are going off but that's due to me now running at 1920x1200. The 9800Pro struggles a bit at this resolution with a lot of activity.

Picture quality seems fine. I don't really have any high def sources to push through it so can't comment on that. The picture in picture is nice, but you can't PiP VGA and DVI sources at the same time. Which was a bit of a disappointment. Would have made a good dual-box setup being able to run two PCs on one monitor.

Have noticed a bit of a sag issue where the right corner is a little lower than the left corner. Guessing this is due to being able to rotate it to portrait mode. It's not a huge amount.. Just enough to bug me.

Overall a positive review from me. If you don't play FPS games 24 hours a day and are looking to purchase a larger display, make sure to consider the 2405FPW. I was thinking that a 24" display would be too large but I find the 2405FPW to be just about the right size as long as it's far enough away (about 2.5-3 feet for me). 30" on the other hand I think would be too much for everyday use although it would be great for movies.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I've had more experience than aslanna with the 2405FPW (I got it one day earlier!) :twisted:

The monitor is fantastic overall and Aslanna hit on the small issues that could be improved.

I do have HD OTA and DirecTV sources so was able to test out the image and it's outstandting when using a source via component RGB. XBox also looks great stretched from it's 480p to the 1900X1200 via component.

With a monitor capable of 1900X1200, any substandard source like Standard Def TV is going to show the flaws of the low res source if stretched to full screen. On the other hand, if you download some of the sample WMV-HD movies available, they look spectacular.

The slight right sag issue is a well known one. It's very slight and the easiest way to fix it is to put something thin under the right side of the stand to raise it an 1/8 inch. I plan on getting a VESA desk arm for more flexibility so am not that worried about the stand. This monitor is VESA standard so it pops on and off stands and arms without use of screws. Very easy.

While the majority of people getting these new samsung panels from Dell aren't getting any dead pixels, I have two and am sending it back for a replacement. To be honest, It takes staring at the exact location of the screen with a white background to see them. I'd certainly live with them if I didn't know most had zero dead pixel displays.

A great reason to buy the Dell 24" LCD, besides it being the best 24" LCD in it's class along with the best price by far of any 24" LCD, is that Dell has a 100% total satisfaction return/exchange policy for 21 days so you're well covered (compared to a place like Newegg which will charge you 15% restock fee for a return and also has a dead pixel policy.) Dell also covers return shipping which is rare.

I haven't noticed any ghosting at all even playing an FPS HL2 engine game so the one big gaming "flaw" of LCD monitors seems gone with this new 8ms panel.

I used the built in card reader of the monitor when I took the pics of the display a few days ago. No software is required. An included USB cable connects from your monitor to your computer and you then have access to the 6 in 1 card reader and 4 USB ports. USB and Card Reader made no difference to me in my purchase decision but I've already used the reader and the USB will come in handy for thumb drives, and other quick connect portable stuff visitors might have.

9/10

Pro's
Awesome 1920X1200 bright, vivid screen that can rotate to portrait
Component inputs so you can use it for HDTV or Consoles
PiP so you can really slack off on raids and put EQ in the PiP (or side-by side) until needed
No Ghosting, great viewing angles for LCD

Cons
Possible slight uneven stand
Would be nice if VGA and DVI could be displayed side by side as mentioned by Aslanna.
Picture super bright. You may end up setting brightness to 15% and turning down gamma a bit. That's not really a con to me.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Ok, update on the ghosting... I noticed some today in EQ. Was on a snow background. When I turned it was visible.

So.. Not totally ghost free... But since that was the first time I've seen it in two weeks.. It's not bad.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Go, go to top.

I'm on the fence about getting one of these right now.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

To not kill the thread with huge pictures, I posted some Guild Wars screens in 1920X1200 on a separate thread:

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... hp?t=14996

I flip between landscape and portrait mode often as it's easy to do. With comic reading I don't bother to rotate my view and just use CDisplay to rotate all images to the left.

Think I posed this one on a desktop thread but here's an example of what you can fit vertically on the 2405:

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Awsome stuff as usual Winnow, but I gotta know how the porn stacks up. Does it scale up well? Have any pics you could post in NWS? ANy decent sites out there for high res porn?

I think I've already made up my mind to buy it, but my heart has to convince my hand to write the check. That's definately a lot of bling. All the reviews you have posted have gone a long way in convincing me. Seems everyone is shitting bricks over this thing.
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Mine finally comes tomorrow - Got my tracking number on thursday, and it's been sitting in the closest depot since saturday.....so close, yet so far =(
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

pyrella wrote:Mine finally comes tomorrow - Got my tracking number on thursday, and it's been sitting in the closest depot since saturday.....so close, yet so far =(
Same thing happen to me Py : ) Cross your fingers for no dead pixels! Put it right into 1920x1200 res too!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

pyrella wrote:Mine finally comes tomorrow - Got my tracking number on thursday, and it's been sitting in the closest depot since saturday.....so close, yet so far =(
You ordered it like a month ago!

--
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

It's here! It's hooked up! It looks awesome so far!

Have any links for the dead pixel checker program (I don't see any yet)?

And as this is my first LCD panel that I'm using for gaming, any reccomended settings that i should enable/disable, etc? (Anti Aliasing, Clear text, the like)

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

pyrella wrote:It's here! It's hooked up! It looks awesome so far!

Have any links for the dead pixel checker program (I don't see any yet)?

And as this is my first LCD panel that I'm using for gaming, any reccomended settings that i should enable/disable, etc? (Anti Aliasing, Clear text, the like)
Well the first thing to try is to turn your destop background black and check for any light pixels, then make your background White and look for any colored pixels, then green and red backgrounds.

Have a soft cloth or something because what looks like a dark spot may just be a spec of dust. There's a pixel checker that basically does what you can do manually by changing the background colors on the desktop.

There are links somewhere on this forum for gamma and greyscale checking sites. I'll look for them when I get home. It's pretty bright eh? You may need to turn down the brightness a bit!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

--
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Clear type was set up (unless that did something more than show me what it looks like when on =P)

And the DPC seems pretty clear - some reading suggested going over it with a magnifying glass...but if i can't see it with the naked eye, im not that worried about it.

Seeing as how this is my first LCD, I'm still trying to get used to the, hrm, what's the best word... blockiness? jaggedness?

I took a screen shot, put it on the web, then compared the image on the 2405 and my regular viewsonic 19" CRT...

The CRT is smoooooooth, while the LCD is HUUUUUUGE...but chunky. I can see levels of detail in the CRT that I just can't see on the LCD. Thoughts? Is this a settings issue, or just something I have to deal with?

-Cadalano
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

pyrella wrote:Clear type was set up (unless that did something more than show me what it looks like when on =P)

And the DPC seems pretty clear - some reading suggested going over it with a magnifying glass...but if i can't see it with the naked eye, im not that worried about it.

Seeing as how this is my first LCD, I'm still trying to get used to the, hrm, what's the best word... blockiness? jaggedness?

I took a screen shot, put it on the web, then compared the image on the 2405 and my regular viewsonic 19" CRT...

The CRT is smoooooooth, while the LCD is HUUUUUUGE...but chunky. I can see levels of detail in the CRT that I just can't see on the LCD. Thoughts? Is this a settings issue, or just something I have to deal with?
blockyness? hmmm, the only thing I can think of is it being a matter of resolution. I don't see blockyness but something that looks smooth on a 19" monitor may look blocky in the same way that anything less than an HD signal will look bad on the 2405 because all of the flaws are revealed.

Can you link an example picture here that seems blocky to you and smooth on your 19"? Do you have Guild Wars? The image (in motion) should look exactly like my screenshots and smooth as silk (that may have to do with 6800GT driving it though).

The tradeoff with a 2405 is that you see the high quality stuff perfectly and see the flaws of lessor crap (pr0n low res videos, ect) while with a lessor monitor or lower res, you don't notice the flaws in the crap recordings and pictures but don't see the best quality video and images as well. I'll take the first option anyday.

If you are noticing blockyness in a high quality image or video that you don't see on the 19" crt then there's some sort of res or video driver issue.

What video card are you using? anything in Windows running at 1920X1200 should be extremely clear and smooth. Note: Do not run in less than 1920X1200 or it will look bad. If you need to run a game or anything else in less than 1920X1200 be sure you have the 1:1 pixel mapping option on (not the stretch, etc) which will put black bars and only use the exact pixels of resolution you're running in.

As for levels of detail, have you adjusted the gamma? If it's too high or low you'll either get washed out or on the opposite end, dark's will blend together. The reason I ask is that your comments aren't anything that I've seen in the several thousand post thread on the [H]ard Op forums thread regarding the 2405.

Do you have a good video card and Windows Media PLayer 9? If so, play some of these to check the quality of your monitor:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... wcase.aspx

If those look blocky or jaggy at all, then you need a new video card.

Try the Batman Begins and Terminator 2: Judgement Day samples there. in 720p (requires less resources to run but still looks great) or 1080p.

Edit: Search for Kennedy's PT109 video on that site is another good one as is has a nice mix of old crappy video and new HD making the difference clear.
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

-Cadalano
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Not sure what would be 'chunky'. Everything looks fine on mine. Are you running WoW at 1920x1200? I think WoW also has widescreen support in fullscreen mode. Are you using one of those modes?

I've come to prefer the look of LCD screens over CRT. At work using a 21" Sony CRT I end up missing the LCD. Things just look better on it.

As far as ClearType goes, there was a checkbox at the bottom that said "Turn on ClearType" so I guess if that was checked you already had it enabled.

And yeah, no need for a magnifying glass. Using DPT just switch to a couple colors (mainly Red, Green, Blue, Black and White!) and see if you see anything that looks odd. If you don't then you probably don't have any dead pixels.

--