24" LCD Monitors (Discussion and Pictures)

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

WoW sucks! I'll need screens of a different game than that! :twisted:

I can't tell anything from work. I'll look at them when I get home. Did the Teminator 2/Batman Begins HD trailers work ok for you?
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

720p stuff played beautifully in 1920x1200 whether left original size or made full size.

the 1080p stuff was too jumpy

AGP 8x 9800 pro just doesn't cut it apparently. I fufill all the other specs they reccomend (3g processor, 1.5gig ram) but i'd get choppy sound, and jumping pictures every few seconds.

As far as the wow screenshots go, the best place to really tell is the Nametags above peoples heads - on the CRT it's nice and clean and smooth, on the LCD you can barely read the names of people more than 50 feet away.
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Aslanna wrote:Not sure what would be 'chunky'. Everything looks fine on mine. Are you running WoW at 1920x1200? I think WoW also has widescreen support in fullscreen mode. Are you using one of those modes?
Yupyup, wow supports 16:9 and 16:10 widescreen modes - I'm playing at native 1920x1200. Of course I can't really turn toooo many of the special effects on..yet.

a PCIe mobo and new vid card soober than expected I guess =P
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

pyrella wrote:720p stuff played beautifully in 1920x1200 whether left original size or made full size.

the 1080p stuff was too jumpy

AGP 8x 9800 pro just doesn't cut it apparently. I fufill all the other specs they reccomend (3g processor, 1.5gig ram) but i'd get choppy sound, and jumping pictures every few seconds.

As far as the wow screenshots go, the best place to really tell is the Nametags above peoples heads - on the CRT it's nice and clean and smooth, on the LCD you can barely read the names of people more than 50 feet away.
The 9800 is a nice card but quite a bit below the new performance levels of the 6800 cards. That's the problem for sure on the 1080i stuff but it may also help on WoW. I don't know if some of the graphics features you can't use in 1920X1200 yet in WoW will help or not. (AA, etc)

The 6800GT is the new 9700Pro (legendary card) With the new 7800's out now, cross your fingers that the 6800GT 256's drop down to the 250.00 level maybe soon. It's an outstanding card (BFG brand) with the only issue being only one DVI out and one Analog...so your 2405 will take the DVI for sure but if you have another DVI display, you might consider a dual DVI out card from another manufacturer.

As much as I loved my ATi9700, I did run into driver issues from time to time over the years. The 6800GT with stock Detonator drivers has been rock solid. That's another nice thing about BFG. They use straight Detonator drivers. No modifications.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yeah the 9800Pro dogs a bit at that resolution once you get a lot of things going on (AE = bad!). I usually drop down to about 15fps. I was playing with full particles with my old monitor but with the 2405 and the 9800Pro I had to turn them off to run reasonably well at 1920x1200.

Will look into a new card eventually but not a real priority at the moment.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I saw it for 825$ and jumped on it. With tax and s/h it was 875$. I just kept putting in coupon codes I found on random sites online and eventually I found what I think was the best price I could. I've never used online coupons before, but you bet your ass I'll be looking for them for future purchases like this.

Review to follow, although I know I'll be happy!
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I saw it for 825$ and jumped on it. With tax and s/h it was 875$. I just kept putting in coupon codes I found on random sites online and eventually I found what I think was the best price I could. I've never used online coupons before, but you bet your ass I'll be looking for them for future purchases like this.

Review to follow, although I know I'll be happy!
Until 7/18/05 5:59AM CST, there is a coupon for 28% off the 2405FPW (down to $863), and a coupon for 34% off the 2005FPW (down to $434). This weekend would be a great time to buy one if any of you are looking for the right time.
  • 28% off Dell 2405FPW 24" LCD: HHBPGKXS288?21 (800 uses)
  • 34% off Dell 2005FPW 20.1" LCD: 33KW3147ST500M (2000 uses)
[65 Storm Warden] Archeiron Leafstalker (Wood Elf) <Sovereign>RETIRED
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

It will deliver between July 28th and Aug 1. Ouch.

The waiting is the hardest part.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:It will deliver between July 28th and Aug 1. Ouch.

The waiting is the hardest part.
You should get it earlier. Dell seems to be very conservative in their estimates. I received mine much earlier (several weeks) than the estimated date quoted on my Dell order status page.
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

http://www.dealsofamerica.com has the 2405 for $779 today...
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Just got my shipping notification today. 3-5 days from njow will be the arrival. Not sure why they want to fuck with my head like that! I was starting to pout like a 6 year old who didn't get his way.
http://www.dealsofamerica.com has the 2405 for $779 today...
Yeah, that fiigures!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I recieved it today. I am using it right now. It is the most awe-inspiring computer monitor I have ever seen. I can't believe I own it. Worlds of Warcraft is a total emersion game now. HL2 makes me want to shed tears. Sorry, I have to go try more games now.

Wow. Worth every cent.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

I want to get myself and Kaelina one of these Dell 24" screens, but I'm trying to wait until they're in the $500 range. :(
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xouqoa wrote:I want to get myself and Kaelina one of these Dell 24" screens, but I'm trying to wait until they're in the $500 range. :(
Well they started off at 1200.00 March 1st and can be had ~800.00 in mid July. I don't know about 500 but I bet they level off around 700.00 by X-Mas. It would be hard to lower them any more than that with still no real competition atm.

The only new 24" that might give this monitor competion is the Samsungs and the Dell uses Samsung panels anyway so it would be slight aesthetic improvements maybe for a few hundred more.

If you look back about one year ago, the best price you could get for a 24" Samsung LCD was ~ 1,800.00 with lessor tech panels so you never know what the future has in store.

Xou, your shopping list =

2 X Dell 24" LCDs
1 X Projector

go Go GO! : )
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Finally got the bonus check I been waiting on... just bought my 2005FP and Ergotron 300 LCD arm!!!

Now, I want it today!!!
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

2005FP arrived, 0 dead pixels, 0 backlight leakage..... picture quality beeeeauuuuutiiitttttyyyfffffffuuuuullllll!!!!!

Damn, I love it :)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Welcome to the fold, my brother.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Finally got the 2405FPW, I think I need to clean my man-juice off of it.

(that's a metaphor, it means that i really like this monitor)
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Just cause I forgot to mention it before, this monitor arm is teh <3

http://www.ergotron.com/3_products/flat ... efault.asp
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Grats sylvus!

Now you can truly enjoy reading huge scanned full comic pages in portrait mode : )

Also, for anyone else in the 2405 club that reads comics...CTRL-L toggles between Landscape and portrait using CDisplay so you don't have to mess with graphics settings moving between landscape and portrait and of course SHIFT-L loads up the next comic in sequence. (SHIFT-K loads previous comic in the sequence)

Do you have a decent graphics card that can push 1920X1200 games? EQ isn't the best example as it doesn't use 1920X1200 and anything other than 1600X1200 will stretch to fit using interpolation using DVI (can use 1:1 pixel mapping with analog but DVI is better!) Does WoW have 1920X1200? If not, Guild Wars or BF2 are very impressive in 1920X1200 mode.
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Heh, I setup a hotkey for ctrl+alt+Z for portrait/landscape... but I guess ctrl+L in CD display is easier.. thanks Winnow!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

EQ does 1920x1200. That's the resolution I play at.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:EQ does 1920x1200. That's the resolution I play at.
:!:

Hmmm, I opened the options while in the game and tried to switch to 1920X1200 and it wasn't there in the drop down.

I went to the EQ UI site and didn't see any 1920X1200 UI's so figured it wasn't an option. How did you switch to that res? (maybe I just missed it!) I was kind of disappointed when I returned to play EQ again thinking I couldn't get 1920X1200.
Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Janx

Post by Janx »

<-- Joining the club.

Just wish dell would get the 2405 out the their door and into mine faster ;( God I hate waiting..newegg spoiled me.

Guess a 7800 will be in order to truely enjoy ^^.

Either that or ATI's new card ;( Now I gotta wait even longer to see what ATI has to offer.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
Aslanna wrote:EQ does 1920x1200. That's the resolution I play at.
:!:

Hmmm, I opened the options while in the game and tried to switch to 1920X1200 and it wasn't there in the drop down.

I went to the EQ UI site and didn't see any 1920X1200 UI's so figured it wasn't an option. How did you switch to that res? (maybe I just missed it!) I was kind of disappointed when I returned to play EQ again thinking I couldn't get 1920X1200.
Don't know what to tell you! It's in the video mode pulldown in Options (alt-o) for me.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: Don't know what to tell you! It's in the video mode pulldown in Options (alt-o) for me.
I don't know how I missed that but I'm at 1920X1200 now in EQ. I take back what I said about EQ's on the 2405! Looks nice.

I think you mentioned that you have a ATi 9800 atm right? It's impressive that it can handle EQ at that res. EQ doesn't have the latest fancy shader stuff that EQ2 or some other games have but still.

There's all sorts of room to customize your UI and still not block your view.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yeah 9800Pro. It can handle it but I did have to turn off particles or frame rate drops really low. Other than that I don't really have a problem even in large groups of people.

It is nice and roomy. Lots of times I miss stuff in some chat channels because that window is off far away in the corner and I don't notice. I don't know if there is UIs specifically for that resolution but ones made for lower resolution UIs work just as well. Maybe even better since they're not trying to hog more space.

--
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

The 24 inch widescreen dell monitor is the prettiest piece of electronic equipment I have ever laid eyes on, I got to see wow played on one when I was at furor's and i kind of wanted it to have my babies.

I will be buying one of these when I get all my new hardware soon! (f u bill paying month)
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Aslanna wrote:It is nice and roomy. Lots of times I miss stuff in some chat channels because that window is off far away in the corner and I don't notice. I don't know if there is UIs specifically for that resolution but ones made for lower resolution UIs work just as well. Maybe even better since they're not trying to hog more space.
When I built my new system, I had to increase my chat font sizes, because reading 8 point font @ 1600x1200 on my 19" CRT wasn't possible at game speeds.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I bought another 24" 1920X1200 LCD and will "retire" my trusty Dell 2405 to portrait comic reading duties beside the new monitor.

After doing some reasearch as always, I decided on the Acer AL2423WDr. It's been getting great reviews both on Newegg and [H]ard Forums:

User Review:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php ... =AL2423Wdr

Newegg Link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824009089

I pondered between the new Dell 2407WFP and the Acer. Money didn't matter in this case although the Acer is 699.00 and I think the Dell is 799.00 FYI.

The main things lacking on the Acer that the Dell has is USB/Card Reader (don't care personally) and Component Inputs. Component may factor into someone's decision but I plan to use the new monitor via RGB for my Xbox 360 when not playing on my projector and as a dual DVI monitor setup along with my Dell 2405.

Key things I was looking for it has:

-outstanding viewing angles and picture competing favorably with the Dell
-comes with adjustable stand allowing height and tilt adjustments as well as (most important) the ability to rotate into portrait mode. (same as Dell)

Now I must pray to the pixel gods that it doesn't arrive with any dead ones as Newegg won't take back monitors like Dell unless there's eight or more dead pixels. I'm sorry, but if it does have dead pixels in the center, it's going back as a DOA return. I don't understand how anyone can accept dead pixels on a high priced monitor. (or any monitor)

The good news is that only a scant few have encountered dead pixels so it looks like they're getting better at pumping out perfect panels. The Dell 2407's have monster threads on Hard Forums with all sorts of banding issues. It's had three revisions and people still are having issues so I decided to go with Acer's panel (made by Samsung) which gets zero complaints and has no banding issues at all.

Now that the 24" LCDs are ~700.00, they're well worth picking up if you are still using an old CRT or smallish LCD screen. (get a wide screen!)

Oh, the only issue I've encountered with my Dell 2405 over 1.5 years + is that in the middle of the screen, it's developed a very slight discolorization. It's not the pixels. I think the plastic screen cover has discolored...possibly from heat? I left my monitor on all the time for the first year and now turn it off when I go to bed as the only thing I can think of is a heat related issue with the screen cover or perhaps the lamp somehow discolored in some areas? there's a blotch in the top right center and another bloth bottom center which is only detected on mosty white backgrounds...which you see when reading web pages a lot.

I'm curious if any other 2405 owners, that have had their monitors for awhile, can see any very slight discolored areas on an all white background. It's minor but I'm picky!

Oh, and last thing. Am I the only one that doesn't like True Type? I tried it again and it makes the text blurry to me no matter what setting I choose. Text just looks sharper to me with it off.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I haven't noticed anything on my 2405. But for probably the past year I've been turning it off when I'm not using it. Well not off off. I just switch it to an unused input and it goes to sleep. Not sure why I decided to do it that way at the time as opposed to just turning it off.. But I do! Maybe because the warmup time is reduced or something. Who knows.

Before that I used to leave it on all the time. But then I read somewhere LCDs have a limited life as far as hours go so figured it wouldn't hurt to turn it off when going to work or sleep.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Before that I used to leave it on all the time. But then I read somewhere LCDs have a limited life as far as hours go so figured it wouldn't hurt to turn it off when going to work or sleep.
Well, lamp life is 50,000 hours which = ~5.5 years if left on all the time.

The next big thing to hit LCDs will be LCD backlights which will last past a lifetime. 50K hours is still a ton though when compared to a projector lamp's 2-3K hour lifespan. I don't have any issues with brightnes, etc. on the 2405. With projector lamps, it's best to leave them on for several hours instead of turnign them on/off. I'm sure it's much different with LCD backlamps but On/Off once or twice a day can't be too bad. I just thought I'd mention the slight discolored areas in case someone else is leaving their LCD on all the time. I had a very long 3 hour sleep timer too. I've since switched that to 30 minutes or so.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Mine is still running like a dream and is still the envy of my friends over a year later. This was one of the best impulse buys I think I've ever had in terms of how much I use it and how much more enjoyable it makes my computer time.

I don't know, the Zen Vision M is right up there too...
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

What's the verdict on the 2X07 compared to the 2X05 models? I've been looking for a replacement for my old trusty CRT (Viewsonic decided to send me a 23" monstrosity as a replacement and it will take up all available space on my huge desk) for a little while, and I can't really make my mind up.

I'm looking for a 21-24" widescreen LCD. Some gaming but hardly any FPS stuff. Lots of video files, wordprocessing and intarwebz. Tilt function, USB/firewire hub functionality is a definite plus but not a requirement.

Any input?
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:What's the verdict on the 2X07 compared to the 2X05 models? I've been looking for a replacement for my old trusty CRT (Viewsonic decided to send me a 23" monstrosity as a replacement and it will take up all available space on my huge desk) for a little while, and I can't really make my mind up.

I'm looking for a 21-24" widescreen LCD. Some gaming but hardly any FPS stuff. Lots of video files, wordprocessing and intarwebz. Tilt function, USB/firewire hub functionality is a definite plus but not a requirement.

Any input?
I think the verdict on the 2407FWP vs 2405WFP is that the 2407 had/has banding issues. There have been three revisions so far (A03 being the latest). There are several modes to run the 2407 in and if you run in a mode that's not designed to make upscaling look better than I think it's supposed to be ok. I was disappointed to see all the issues with the 2407 after such success with the 2405.

Since they are still pricey, I'd suggest going through this thread backwards. That way you see the comments on the latest revisions first:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1064124

If you don't plan to use component inputs, you might want to consider the Acer that I just ordered. It has the same ability to rotate into portait mode and all the other adjustments of the 240X stands. I'll know more about it next week after testing it out and will be able to comment on it vs the 2405 I've had since march 05.

Keep in mind that there are three different panels to consider with 24" LCD monitors:

MVA
TN
IPS

and each of them with some positives and negatives and each can be tweaked a bit.

The Acer is a P-MVA awhile the Dell is S-IPS
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

My new Acer AL2423WDr LCD was delivered today. I drove home at lunch to check it out.

The box is a little nicer (and bigger) than the box that the 2405WFP shipped it from Dell. It has a handle on the top. You'd think that might not be a big deal but perhaps UPS handled it better with the handle! :twisted:

I didn't have a lot of time at lunch but opend it up and replaced the 2405 with it. Turned it on and almost shit my pants when I saw a black dot near the middle of the screen. Turned out to be a speck of dust. Thank baby jesus, no dead pixels.

The stand is every bit as good as the 2405's. I like it better actually. I did a quick dead pixel check just by switching the color of the screen to white, then the other colors. None that I saw and I'm pretty fast at spotting them now.

Only got to view it for about 10 mintues but it appears to be at least equal or better than the 2405 in color, viewing angle, sharpness, etc.

I'll take a longer look tonight when I can do a lengthy side-by-side comparison but first indication is that the Acer AL2423WDr is worth considering for 699.00 as an alternative to the 2407 if you can live without component inputs.
Midgen
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: MidgenPlays

Post by Midgen »

I bought that same monitor from newegg a few weeks back, and am totally diggin' it!

Very high quality piece of work for the price!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

OMG,

I'm in display heaven.

nVidia 7800GT appears to drive both 1920X1200 with no problems. I had my doubts about the usefulness of having two large monitors but no more! Using the 2nd 24" to open media...pictures, videos, MP3 player, etc. Being able to have things pop up full screen on the second monitor is much nicer than I anticipated. Apps like Faststone Image Viewer support dual monitor as well so you can have the browser in one window and viewer in the other. Anyway, you don't need two 24" monitors to do that but man it's nice.

First thing I had to do was turn the brightness down to 25% on the Acer. Still brighter than the Dell 2405 at about 65% brightness. You could get by with the Acer at "0%" brightness which just means these monitors are hella bright.

After spending 90 minutes trying to calibrate each monitor so they look identical, I've got to give the edge to the Acer for looks. I don't know if it's fair or not comparing a monitor that's been heavily used for 18 months to a brand new one. Atm, if I had to choose, I'd take the Acer based purely on the screen and not component, USB/card readers etc. I can get the whitest "white" on the Acer. Both look amazing.

I learned a lot about color temperatures, etc trying to adjust the monitors to mirror each other as close as possible and ended up improving the look of the 2405 in the process.

One thing I don't care for is the controls. In between the menu button and the arrow buttons to move around in the menus is the power button. Pretty stupid as you can easily turn the monitor off moving back and forth between the other buttons. Small thing but bad design. 2405WFP doesn't exactly have the best controls but are better than the Acer's.

I suppose another thing to point out is the possibility of dead pixels. With anyone but Dell, you're going to have to risk it. A wild guess would be maybe 5 out of 100 monitors might have one from reading the forums.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Are there any reported issues with the 20 inch Dell widescreen? What is banding anyway?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

masteen wrote:Are there any reported issues with the 20 inch Dell widescreen? What is banding anyway?
I haven't researched them but there are two different panels being used for the Dell 2007WFP so you might want to look into that before ordering:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1102160
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

I want one of those 2407 monitors. I use memory cards a lot in my various cameras and like that feature on them. Anyone have a dell coupon? I have been searching but no luck so far. Cheapest I have found is $719
Deward
Trias
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Hamlas3r
PSN ID: Hamlaser

Post by Trias »

just ordered a Acer AL2423WDr from newegg...free three day shipping with an expected delivery time of one business day haha; so good. Will keep yas posted.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Trias wrote:just ordered a Acer AL2423WDr from newegg...free three day shipping with an expected delivery time of one business day haha; so good. Will keep yas posted.
Nice!

Did yours ship from Newegg's New Jersey warehouse? Mine shipped from California and only took two business days to get to Arizona (with the free three day shipping deal).
Trias
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Trias »

i literally ordered it 5 min before my post hah; so i'm not sure where its being shipped from, though i do assume from the NJ warehouse since it was estimating a 1 day delivery time from time of purchase.

i live in NJ, would be crazy to have it by end of the day on wed, i tried rush processing too so we shall see if that does anything.
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: neost
Wii Friend Code: neost

Post by Neost »

thread derail but I ordered a new MB from newegg a couple of weeks ago. Paid the 3 dollars for rush order and 21 bucks for overnightshipping. the motherboard shipped from their Memphis distribution center, about a 2 hour drive from where I live. If I had ordered it 3 day with the rush it would've only cost me like 11 bucks shipping and I probably would've gotten it next business day.

Well, unless fedex decided they had 3 days and were by damn gonna take 3 days.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If this is your second 24", here's what you have to look forward to! If it's your first, the Acer is on the left! : )

It's almost impossible to find 3840X1200 wallpaper. What I did was find some decent 1600X1200, crop it to 1600X500 and then resize it to 3840X1200. Works pretty well!

Mostly pics of random women so far.

You can see the 2405 is a little darker by looking at the eyes, but close in colors. I just suck at matching them up.

This is more like what I see as my room is typically dark with my home theater projector playing to the left.

and finally, some live editing...see post as I create it!

Here's some windows open in light and dark conditions:

and with a movie (well, Heroes episode one) playing light/dark:

Oops, almost forgot comic geek mode:

To say the least, I'm very pleased so far with the dual monitor setup. Now it's time to get two nice monitor arms and a nicer desk!
Trias
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Trias »

this is my first 24": good news is that it shipped from the NJ distribution center that is literally 30 min from my house this morning at 8:31:37AM

i'm really hoping that they deliver it today, but its probably wishful thinking to expect that of UPS haha.

after seeing those shots i'll be setting up a new desk for a 2nd one soon haha.
Trias
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Trias »

best screen ever.

zero dead pixels...i have no idea what to do with all of this screen space.

hahahah i'm so happy.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

The only thing that makes me lean towards Dell is their awesome return service and dead pixel policy.

What can you do if you order one from NewEgg and it shows up with one?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I haven't actually researched the Acer.. But I don't really like the silver plastic. I prefer the Dell black.

Trias wrote:zero dead pixels...i have no idea what to do with all of this screen space.
That wont last long. it fills up fast.
Deward wrote:I want one of those 2407 monitors. I use memory cards a lot in my various cameras and like that feature on them.
I always had problems with my 2405 and the card reader slots. I don't know if they are USB 2.0 either so that means slower read speed if so. . So I don't use them anymore. Couldn't say what's on the 2407 though. Plus the 2405 didn't read Memory Sticks(tm) Pro Duo. Not sure on just regular Memory Sticks. I don't think it does. Anyway, I bought a SanDisk 12-in-1 reader. I'm much happier with that. With the added bonus that when I upgrade monitors I wont lose my card reader.

--