Dragons of Norrath

Everquest related info only here, quests, help, info, recruiting, etc.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Dragons of Norrath

Post by Siji »

Newest expansion recently announced. Beta was open on the main EverQuest web page for a little bit, but appears to be closed now.

Yay!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

they sound like they're going back to the old school ways of high end gaming....dragons!

hopefully with names we can pronounce.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Spang wrote:they sound like they're going back to the old school ways of high end gaming....dragons!

Better than frogs!

Velious 2.0 inc!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Less Doom 3 mobs and more old school mobs was suggested awhile ago.

The last two expansions have been all freaky mobs. May as well have been fighting various colored cubes as there was no passion about killing these freakish things. Heading down to kill Trak, Naggy, or sweeping through ToV, had much more satisfaction to it.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

From what I've seen so far, it's rather cool. Definite improvement of graphics on the mobs themselves with some nifty animations on them. The one main zone I explored seems pretty big (WK size) with different themes (overhanging forest, skyfire-ish, caves, water, etc) throughout it. Haven't seen much in the name of interface changes, however the map window has a new tab that could prove to be helpful if I'm understanding how it'll go. There are some new XML files that I'm guessing at, but don't know for sure on.

Another zone I saw someone else exploring in looked very cool. Kind of an oriental theme with lots of dragon statues and little dragon critters around. For some reason it reminded me of some old Quake 2 LMCTF maps that I'd played on. Keep thinking there should be a grapple to fly around with..

Only a couple hours looked at, and seems interested thus far.

/bite NDA

SS's coming soon!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Siji wrote: /bite NDA

SS's coming soon!
Not sure that's a good idea. I think they can actually ban your regular account if they find out.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Aslanna wrote:

SS's coming soon!
Not sure that's a good idea. I think they can actually ban your regular account if they find out.
It's ok.. I'll just use Winnow's..
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Siji wrote:
Aslanna wrote:

SS's coming soon!
Gurugurumaki owns Winnow now. I traded the account for a rare tentacle hentai video.
Llaffer
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Llaffer »

Here are some interesting entries in the "betastr_us.txt" that explains some of what this expansion will do:

New Zones:
503 No text set
5160 The Broodlands
5161 Stillmoon Temple
5162 The Ascent
5163 Thundercrest Isles
5164 Lavaspinner's Lair
5165 Tirranun's Delve
5166 The Accursed Nest
Barter System? :
6065 Welcome to the Barter market! There are %1 Buyers waiting to purchase your loot. Type /barter to search for them.
6066 Buying %1 %2, offering %3 each.
6068 The limit of %1 Buyers has been reached. Please wait and try again.
Guild Bank:
6097 Cannot deposit this item. Containers must be empty, and only one of each LORE and no NODROP items may be deposited.
6098 There is no more room in the Guild Bank.
6099 Free Slots: %1
6100 '%1' transferred to Guild Bank from Deposits.
6101 Transfer failed. There is no room in the Guild Bank for this item.
6102 Some of the items would not fit in the Guild Bank and were left in the Deposits area.
6103 Banker Only
6104 Single Member
6105 Public If Usable
6106 Public
6107 You do not have permission to withdraw that item.
6108 You must empty your hands to withdraw from the Guild Bank.
Guild Hall:
6113 Your Guild Hall is loading, please try again in 10-15 seconds.
6114 You are unable to enter the Guild Hall at this time.
Task Points? :
8889 Are you sure you would like to spend %1 shared task point to purchase the %2?
8890 Are you sure you would like to spend %1 shared task points to purchase the %2?
8891 Are you sure you would like to spend %1 shared task points to purchase %2 of the %3 at %4 point each?
8892 Are you sure you would like to spend %1 shared task points to purchase %2 of the %3 at %4 points each?
8893 You have spent %1 shared task point.
8894 You have spent %1 shared task points.
Bandolier Window? :
9339 You have successfully used bandolier %1.
9342 You do not have enough room to use this bandolier.
9343 You can not equip all the items in this bandolier.
9344 There is no availble bandolier slot to save this bandolier set.
9345 You have successfully added bandolier %1.
9346 You have successfully deleted bandolier %1.
9347 Enter bandolier set name:
Potion Belt:
9348 Potion Belt Slot 1
9349 Potion Belt Slot 2
9350 Potion Belt Slot 3
9351 Potion Belt Slot 4
9352 Toggle Potion Belt Window
9353 Toggle Bandolier Window
Karae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Karae »

Siji wrote:
Spang wrote:they sound like they're going back to the old school ways of high end gaming....dragons!

Better than frogs!

Velious 2.0 inc!
Let's hope so...Velious is still the best expansion ever.
War pickles men in a brine of disgust and dread.
Nilaman
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Nilaman »

I just hope they stick with the velious theme and keep ice mobs, as opposed to fire mobs. I hate FR mobs!
Raistin
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Raistin »

I was told theres a lvl 70 wiz for sale with 300+AA. Anyone want for the new expansion?! Ill let him know if so! He even has Dragonsbane!!1
Trias
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Hamlas3r
PSN ID: Hamlaser

Post by Trias »

Winnow wrote:
Siji wrote:
Aslanna wrote:

SS's coming soon!
Gurugurumaki owns Winnow now. I traded the account for a rare tentacle hentai video.
hah thnx tentacle fucking
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Trias wrote:
Winnow wrote:
Siji wrote:
Aslanna wrote:

SS's coming soon!
hah thnx tentacle fucking
Remember to check out http://www.ghastlycomic.com for all your tentacle sex needs :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Looks like SOE has the page up now:

http://everquest.station.sony.com/dragonsofnorrath/

So far the zones seem like huge wide open spaces. The mobs are pretty scarce in most areas right now. The new earth derv type things look really cool now though.. they have this green spectral particle effect stuff that reminds me of Star Trek. A few of the expansions definitely have that oriental theme though. Statue mobs that look like ancient Japan warriors and such.

From the link above, things like in-game email, the Player Barter system, LFGuild, mass corpse summonin altar, etc will be rather cool. So will the bandolier if it exchanges eqiupment out for you with a hotkey. Sounds like they're adding more and more features that another program currently offers.

Release date set at February 15th.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

anyone get into beta?

i tried but none of my CD keys were valid.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Spang wrote:anyone get into beta?

I may or may not have. But if I did it was before they added that CD key requirement.

That Feb 15th date seems unrealistic to me!

--
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Spang wrote:anyone get into beta?

At first there was no key check you just clicked join and go to the NDA page.. guess they were getting too many people that way. Was glad someone told me about it when they did. Got lucky.

<3 /betabuff 65
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

They will be opening it again soon (according to a GM broadcast). I think those that got in when they did were just lucky. Just keep checking the main website.

--
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Overview

A series of events has transpired across the world of Norrath and the familiar faces of Firiona Vie and her nemesis Lanys T’Vyl return to find themselves at the forefront of the events. Unbeknownst to them, a dark influence has seeped into the world of Norrath causing new tensions to arise and conflicts to intensify as the dawn of a new age emerges. The Age of War is upon the people of Norrath and heroes return in this ultimate, unending battle between good and evil.

Prepare for EverQuest: Dragons of Norrath and return to the lands between Halas and Lavastorm as you seek out the Nest, the ancestral birthplace of all dragons, long sealed away and hidden from the eyes of Norrath. But beware, if the Nest is exposed too early during the Brood Dawn, all dragons and their eggs will be cursed for eternity and death will storm down on all Norrathian's not in their service.

Featuring new lands with enhanced graphics, bold new storylines, and updated creatures including goblins, drakes and the ominous Frost Giant, EverQuest: Dragons of Norrath is the next great expansion pack for the fantasy saga that is EverQuest. Make ready with new features such as the ability to regenerate your mana/health before a battle, use your potion belt to access your inventory quickly, and quickly swap from Sword and Shield to Great Sword using the bandolier. Plus, with the all new guild management tools you can easily get your guild ready to encounter anything that comes your way! EverQuest: Dragons of Norrath is bursting with new adventures and intense battles for players of all levels.

Features

New Zones, Creatures and Content - From Lavastorm to the Thundercrest Isles adventure in graphically enhanced zones with all new themes. Brave challenging new quests, discover new treasures, and battle new NPCs including drakes, goblins, and fierce dragons.

New Interactive World Map - A full-color interactive map of the world allows players to point-and-click from a world view, to a continent view, to a zone view of the traditional line maps.

Player Barter System - Allows players to set up their own method of giving platinum or items for other items. Players can now buy items!

Potion Belt - Allows for quick use of consumable items, such as potions or food.

Bandolier Equip - Lets your character have pre-arranged, multiple sets of weapons accessible by a single mouse click.

New spells and Tradeskill Recipes

Guild Specific Features

All-New Guild Halls - Individual instanced Guild Halls for guild members to meet and prepare for playing. Includes the following features and benefits:

Guild Bank - Bank slot for storage of items accessible by all (designated) members of a guild.

Mana/health Regen Pool - Allows players to easily regenerate their mana and health in preparation for battle (available only at the Guild Hall).

Mass Corpse Summoning Altar - Allows guilds to summon guild corpses en masse to the altar room after a wipe out.

Guild Portal - Allows guild members to purchase the ability to have a persistent port to pre-determined areas around the world.

Guild Tradeskill Objects - Various tradeskill tools are located in the guild hall for easy access by guild members.

Guild 'Looking for Members' Tool - Allows guilds to recruit by placing persistent “ads” on bulletin boards, search for player characters who match guild criteria and send in-game emails to those members.

Players 'Looking for Guild' Tool - Allows players to find guilds recruiting members.

Buff Timers - In the Guild Halls buff times can be paused for Guild Members.

/point EQ2
/laugh
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

Sounds like a good expansion for EQ1, hope it plays out well. :)
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

The screenshots are pretty sweet looking:

http://everquest.station.sony.com/drago ... /media.jsp
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

"Buy now or be left behind by your own guild! $29.99 or you're a loser, pre-order today!"
miir and I are best friends. <3
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Rellix wrote:"Buy now or be left behind by your own guild! $29.99 or you're a loser, pre-order today!"
How is that different than just about any other expansion? LoY being the main exception I can think of .

--
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

It's not different, and that's my point. In my opinion expansions should be optional like LoY, but unfortunately they will probably never find the right mix of an "optional, yet good" expansion.

Just sucking you guys in for more money - many of these features should be free (and should have been added years ago). Good marketing by Sony, but it blows for players.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Ok then.. How is that different than any other MMORPG.. They all release expansions and I'm guessing most will be charging money for them.

I'm not saying I don't agree. But only to a point. I still think mapping should have been free and not there to make you buy LoY.

Do you think WoW expansions will be free? Somehow I doubt they will be!

--
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Good marketing by Sony, but it blows for players.
How is giving players what they asked for (within reason heh) a bad thing? All expansions are a vehicle for the publisher to introduce new features as well as new content. It's unrealistic to expect new features or content to be developed on a large scale for free. Devlopment isn't cheap, and SOE is a for profit company, and as long as there's a market for these items, it would be completely irresponsible of them to roll over for the "gimme something for nothing crowd." The expansion is coming out too soon, IMO, but the features planned sound great.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

That brings up a whole different aspect .. should features be free? One thing that I really hated about EQ expansions were that they concentrated on FEATURES and not new zones. I've always viewed expansions (in general) as new areas to explore, whereas games like EQ have made worthless features (how could we live without dyes) seem crucial to everday play.

A question arises with this expansion: are they going to make you buy it so you can be summoned with the rest of your guild - or will it just summon everyone's corpse except your's, leaving it unretrievable? Can you enter your guild instance without paying? The only way to make it truly work would be to make the features free to all players, and the new zones the actual expansion.

On the topic of WoW - of course expansion won't be free, but we've yet to see how they market them, whether they will be selling features, zones, or a combination of both.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Xatrei wrote:
Good marketing by Sony, but it blows for players.
How is giving players what they asked for (within reason heh) a bad thing? All expansions are a vehicle for the publisher to introduce new features as well as new content. It's unrealistic to expect new features or content to be developed on a large scale for free. Devlopment isn't cheap, and SOE is a for profit company, and as long as there's a market for these items, it would be completely irresponsible of them to roll over for the "gimme something for nothing crowd." The expansion is coming out too soon, IMO, but the features planned sound great.
Are you not paying a monthly fee for the game? You can claim that the fee goes to server stability but chances are that they are more than well covered in that aspect. With the oncoming idea of merging servers, it probably won't even be an issue. $13.99 is a pretty hefty price to receive nothing new.
Llaffer
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Llaffer »

They have CD-key entry when open-registration is closed. So it can allow invites (EQTraders giving away 5 beta codes, for example).

But for a short time, open registration is open, so you shouldn't need a code to get in.

Usually these are only open for an hour or two, so hurry.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It's back open now.

--
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

WHATS THE LINK?11!
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

--
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Rellix wrote:Are you not paying a monthly fee for the game? You can claim that the fee goes to server stability but chances are that they are more than well covered in that aspect. With the oncoming idea of merging servers, it probably won't even be an issue. $13.99 is a pretty hefty price to receive nothing new.
Bandwidth costs money. Facilities cost money. Employees cost money. Equipment for server farms, network infrastructure and their local users costs money. Marketing costs money. Servicing debt costs money. Electricity, water, gas, etc. costs money. I would go on, but this is getting boring.

The bottom line: Operating a business costs money - a lot of money.

Sony's costs for developing new content is generally recouped (with some - /gasp - profit) through expansion sales. Monthly subsciption fees cover the costs of operating their business on an ongoing basis - again with some evil profit built in for themselves.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

You can either complain about how the features being added in expansions should have been there in the first place, or you can be happy that they're being added.

Heaven forbid a gaming company doesn't think of every possible thing that every possible player may want before they release a game. EverQuest has evolved and continues to do so, just like any other online game will. If you think EQ2 will be different, or even WoW you're trippin' on some bad brown acid.

Being that the level limit hasn't been increased, and there doesn't appear to be any new AA's mentioned or other skills, I fail to see how anyone is going to be left behind with this expansion. Equipment perhaps.. maybe keys if any of the zones are keyed.. More than anything, DoN appears to be a guild based expansion with some new zones thrown in to justify the price and give players some new places to visit. I for one am excited as hell about the new features mentioned and while it would have been nice to have them from day one, I'm content with knowing they're coming at all.

It does seem however, that more and more features that SOE is adding are features that things like SEQ & MQ2 have been allowing players to do for a long time now. Perhaps they're seeing that it's really not so bad to be able to have defined spell sets, or twist songs without getting carpal tunnel, or exchange equipment with the touch of a button, or see what spell a mob is casting (leadership AA's).. etc. Give the players what they want and they may remain a paying member a bit longer.. not a bad idea.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

I'm going to go out on a whim here and assume that with the thousands and thousands of paying customers, they make more than enough profit already.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

they make more than enough profit already.
There's no such thing.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Rellix wrote:I'm going to go out on a whim here and assume that with the thousands and thousands of paying customers, they make more than enough profit already.
Says who? A for profit corporation's obligation is to maximize their profits for the benefit of it's owners and investors. It's easy for you to say "I think they make enough," but try telling that to the company's owners and investors. The simple fact is that operating any large company is an expensive proposition, especially for one like SOE that is so dependent upon expensive communications services and hardware, and pricey support and development staff. All of the expenses I mentioned in my earlier post plus many more, eat up huge chunks of the company's gross revenues. Most people, lacking any exposure to real business, can't even comprehend the massive cost of breaking even, let alone earning an acceptable profit.

The real world works much differently than the free for all fantasy world that many people (mostly idealistic and / or naive young people) seem to idealize these days. You may not like it, but that's the way it is. Those that don't want to pay for the products and services offered by SOE aren't under any obligation to give their dollars to SOE, and are always free to just walk away.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Of course there could also be a level of customer loyalty and interest, but we shouldn't expect that out of SOE.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Rellix wrote:Of course there could also be a level of customer loyalty and interest, but we shouldn't expect that out of SOE.
From a company the size of Verant, you could likely expect that.. from a company like SOE? Not likely. Their loyalty is to making a profit - and that's fine as long as the product performs well enough to be usable. Sure, there's a lot of bugs but for the most part.. it works more often than not. I think you'll see more customer appreciation from Sigil than you ever will from a behemoth like Sony.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I'm in on the beta, but the betabuff chars just depress me. Hopefully Xag & Mirt will be copied over tomorrow morning, and I can begin exploring a bit. I did nose around a little bit, and things seem kind of cool so far.