Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Tsunami Aid

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

U.S. Sends Help to Southern Asia

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

WASHINGTON — The United States government is mobilizing cash and disaster-response teams to help people in the tsunami-stricken nations of Asia as they recover from the tragedy that caused at least 23,700 deaths in eight countries on Sunday.

The African nation of Somalia also reported 100 deaths as a result of killer waves that crossed the Indian Ocean following an earthquake Sunday morning.

Secretary of State Colin Powell told reporters Monday that $400,000 has gone to India, Indonesia, the Maldives and Sri Lanka (search) already, and about $4 million is in the works to be given to the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (search). The Red Cross had asked for $6.6 million.

U.S. Agency for International Development (search) assistant administrator Ed Fox added that the U.S. aid package could reach as much as $15 million once formal requests are in from governments and recommendations are made from disaster-assistance response teams on the ground.

USAID, the key American agency that provides assistance to countries recovering from disasters, is sending 21 people to Thailand, Indonesia and Sri Lanka. They will determine the extent of the damages and what contributions the United States should make.

The United States Pacific Command (search) has also dispatched P-3 patrol aircraft stationed in Kadena air base in Okinawa, Japan, to Utaphao, Thailand, to conduct survey operations, including a possible role in search-and-rescue efforts. The Navy has not reported any damage to its ships or bases in the region.

Powell said eight Americans are confirmed dead, five in Sri Lanka and three in Thailand. Hundreds of Americans were injured and others are still missing. Powell said U.S. embassy officials are trying to locate those missing U.S. citizens.

The secretary said the State Department has set up a hotline for family members seeking information about relatives in the tsunami-struck areas. The number 1-888-407-4747 provides a recording, but gives some other contact information. Other information about general relief and emergency services is also available on the State Department's Web site at http://travel.state.gov/travel/crisismg.html.

Carol Miller of the International Red Cross told FOX News that first aid, field assessment and coordination teams are already on the way to the affected countries to find out what the needs are on the ground, but individuals who want to contribute financial assistance are also welcome to call 1-800-HELP-NOW or go online to http://www.redcross.org.

The tsunamis (search) that stretched across the Indian Ocean were triggered by a 9.0-magnitude earthquake Sunday morning that hit off the western coast of Indonesia's Sumatra island. While reports differ, Sri Lanka, 1,000 miles from the quake's epicenter, suffered the highest number of casualties, with more than 12,000 reported dead. Indonesia (search) had 5,000 dead, India 3,000 and Thailand (search) listed 339 dead, including the grandson of that nation's King Umepon. The Maldives, Myanmar, Bangladesh and Somalia together reported hundreds of casualties. Twenty-two nations not directly hit by the tsunamis reported citizens missing or dead.

Powell said while aid is on its way, the impact of the devastation will be felt for a long time to come.

"Some 20-plus thousand lives have been lost in a few moments, but the lingering effects will be there for years. The damage that was caused, the rebuilding of schools and other facilities will take time. So you need a quick infusion to stabilize the situation, take care of those who have been injured, get immediate relief supplies in, and then you begin planning for the longer haul," he said.

Powell said he spoke with President Bush on Monday morning and the president is closely monitoring the situation from his ranch in Crawford, Texas. Powell said the administration has expressed its deepest condolences to the families of those affected by the tragedy.

At Crawford, known as the western White House, Deputy Press Secretary Trent Duffy said the United States "will be a leading partner in one of the most significant relief, rescue and recovery challenges that the world has ever known."

Duffy said U.S. embassies have been working since Sunday morning to help Americans in the region. Bush has written letters to the leaders of seven countries hardest hit by tsunamis.

"Again, this is a terrible tragedy. There is a significant loss of life. And our thoughts and prayers are with all those who are suffering," Duffy said.

FOX News' Mike Emanuel, Teri Schultz and Sharon Kehnemui Liss contributed to this report.

The "Christian" based America has done it again. Those evil destructive fuckers have come through for others around the world within 24 hours of this horrible tragedy. God damnit! When will they stop their evilness?

Oh yeah....where is the aid from Muslim countries? Where's the announcement showing aid coming from Indonesia, Suadi Arabia, Pakistan, etc? Actually I shouldn't be hard on Indonesia since they got hit too.
Wonko Wenusberg
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Wonko Wenusberg »

I may be wrong, but isn't the red cross a muslim based aid organisation too. And most of the countries that has Islam as a large religion have their own problems. Not that religion contra problems goes hand in hand, just that it's bad luck in this time.
The contries that can aid on a larger scale and make a global rescue effort within 24h are christian based, because it's where the money are.
And if you think that the U.S is the only one contributing with aid from the western countries you're far far away from reality.
cweeedit cwuunch
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

What the fuck do you want? The world to bow down and suck a little US dick? Yeah, we're doing something good for other people. That in itself should be reward enough. The opportunity to do something altruistic out of the goodness of our collective hearts. As always, shut the fuck up Midnyte.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Tenuvil
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tenuvil »

Wonko Wenusberg wrote:I may be wrong, but isn't the red cross a muslim based aid organisation too.
Red Crescent is the evil Muslim based affiliate of the Red Cross. Apparently the memory of the Crusades, with the Knights Templar wearing red crosses on their cloaks and shields, was too recent and too painful to allow in those wonderful progressive Muslim slums^H^H^H^H^Hcountries.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Wonko Wenusberg wrote: And if you think that the U.S is the only one contributing with aid from the western countries you're far far away from reality.
Nope. I don't. Japan is also giving a butt-load of money.
Wonko Wenusberg
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Wonko Wenusberg »

Good then. That was not so clear in your first post.
cweeedit cwuunch
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

How about you get your self-serving ass out of the gutter. We don't care *who* is sending aid for this kind of thing, everyone should be since about everyone was affected. But hey, if you want to take a disaster that dwarfs 9/11 at least 10x over and try and use it for some kind of political argument, hey, go ahead. Say hi to Hitler for me.
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

AGENCIES HELPING EARTHQUAKE VICTIMS

— American Jewish World Service: 800-889-7146, http://www.ajws.org

— American Red Cross International Response Fund: 800-HELP NOW, http://www.redcross.org

— Catholic Relief Services: 800-736-3467, http://www.catholicrelief.org

— Direct Relief International: 805-964-4767, http://www.directrelief.org

— Doctors Without Borders/Medecins Sans Frontieres: 888-392-0392, http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

— International Medical Corps: 800-481-4462, http://www.imcworldwide.org

— International Orthodox Christian Charities Middle East Crisis Response: 877-803-4622, http://www.iocc.org

— Mercy Corps: 800-852-2100, http://www.mercycorps.org

— Operation USA: 800-678-7255, http://www.opusa.org
Desolet
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Desolet »

While I agree the deathtoll is much higher in this disaster, I hardly think it dwarfs 9/11 10 times over. Sure, more people were lost in this horrible tragedy, but 9/11 was murder.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Thank you Moonwynd.

It is so nice to see so much good being done. What a great world we live in sometimes. It's acts like these that remind us how very lucky we are.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Thanks for the links Moonwynd. I have been very fortunate in my life and it seems that a little donation to help others would be the least I can do.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

This is terribly tragic. The death toll has reached almost 52,000, and is continuing to rise. I believe that Vietnam had a death toll of 58,000 American casaulties, and that was over a long period of time. It certainly puts it into perspective, the sheer destructiveness of this tsunami.

With that said, Midnyte, kindly fuck off. I am sickened by the fact that you are using this tragedy to reinforce your own political arguments. While some on this forum attack all Christians, I can assure you that the majority do not hold them responsible for all the evil in the world. So this pointless bickering over if Christians are good people or not is a completely asinine topic compared to what is happening over on the eastern side of the world. Get off your horse, and realize this is not the place or time for this argument. Jesus Christ, just get off for one topic please. 52,000 people are dead, and all you can holler about is "hahah, j3sus ha!3rs, u sux0R$!" Fuck off.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Kaldaur wrote:This is terribly tragic. The death toll has reached almost 52,000, and is continuing to rise. I believe that Vietnam had a death toll of 58,000 American casaulties, and that was over a long period of time. It certainly puts it into perspective, the sheer destructiveness of this tsunami.

With that said, Midnyte, kindly fuck off. I am sickened by the fact that you are using this tragedy to reinforce your own political arguments. While some on this forum attack all Christians, I can assure you that the majority do not hold them responsible for all the evil in the world. So this pointless bickering over if Christians are good people or not is a completely asinine topic compared to what is happening over on the eastern side of the world. Get off your horse, and realize this is not the place or time for this argument. Jesus Christ, just get off for one topic please. 52,000 people are dead, and all you can holler about is "hahah, j3sus ha!3rs, u sux0R$!" Fuck off.
I'm not even religious Kal. So, Jesus rocks, would not be my point. My point is these Christians which so many like to bash in every post have mostly great, good, and kind intentions. I think it is important to point it out, especially on a board full of negative bashing cynical pricks such as yourself. :) mmmkay? Buh bye now.
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

BTW I just want to point out that the First Crusade killed people in the middle east, the second killed 30% christians, 70% middle eaterners. the third crusade killed exclusively christians, and the 4th never really did much but lose.

Which goes to show that Crusades are about as effective and meaningful as Jihads.
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
VariaVespasa
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by VariaVespasa »

Midnyte- oh yes, this is JUST the time for cheap political hackery. You cant have the decency to give your trolling a rest for a few days, or pick another target for it at least? Self-serving, unsympathetic, inconsiderate asshat.

Varia
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Desolet wrote:While I agree the deathtoll is much higher in this disaster, I hardly think it dwarfs 9/11 10 times over. Sure, more people were lost in this horrible tragedy, but 9/11 was murder.
It does dwarf it ten times over. Not only is the death toll more than ten times of 9/11, but 9/11 was also the result of a lot of political history (wether you want to admit it or not).

Midnyte kindly go fuck yourself. Or better, go sign up and get killed in Iraq. I'll piss on your grave.

Oh wait, the military doesn't accept retarded pizza delivery boys do they?
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Leave it to VV to fuck this one up , Great job guys you have reinforced what is wrong with humanity.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

You completely missed my point. This attitude of turning a mega-catastrophe such as this into a bashing thread against haters of religion is completely pointless and below even yourself. I'm cynical? You took something that has completely destroyed a region of the earth and used it as proof that Christians aren't evil. I don't give a shit what you're personal beliefs are; I knew you were atheist before posting. But jumping on the political bandwagon in a thread and turning this into a political cause is degrading to those who have lost loved ones. I would almost mistake you for a politician, salivating at the chance to use this scenario to prove your own point. Back away before you de-humanize yourself further.

With that said, the death toll is expected to reach 60,000. Truly horrifying.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

You're such a troll Mid.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

60K is without epidemics etc. That can (and most likely will) easily top 100K
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Kelshara wrote:60K is without epidemics etc. That can (and most likely will) easily top 100K
Frightening indeed.
VariaVespasa
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by VariaVespasa »

Lynks wrote:You're such a troll Mid.
Of course he's a troll. I've been saying that for a while now. I was just hoping he could be a troll with class, but I guess not.

*Hugs*
Varia
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

VariaVespasa wrote:
Of course he's a troll. I've been saying that for a while now. I was just hoping he could be a troll with class, but I guess not.

*Hugs*
Varia
DO I really need to pull out all the past threads from all the "insensitive" things people said as our US soldiers were being beheaded?
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

you are the biggest hypocrite Midnyte...or as you would say "hippocrit"
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:
Wonko Wenusberg wrote: And if you think that the U.S is the only one contributing with aid from the western countries you're far far away from reality.
Nope. I don't. Japan is also giving a butt-load of money.
Why had no one pointed out that Japan ISN'T a Western country? Mid, this response was a little silly....
[65 Storm Warden] Archeiron Leafstalker (Wood Elf) <Sovereign>RETIRED
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ignoring the rest of this thread, UN Undersecretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Jan Egeland is an asshat for calling anyone stingy right after this disaster occurred. People are looking for unity and encouragement after a natural disaster of these proportions and this fuckwad takes the opportunity to spout off his personal opinions about political crap.

Fuck that dude and fuck the U.N. It's time to expel the United Nations from New York and time for the United States to start over and recreate a new world organization...maybe France can pump out 1/100th the money the U.S. has and try to start their own peace organization. The United States crushes other countries combined in total aid from its government and private organizations. I could give a shit if we have the largest GNP and the percentages associated with it. That's your own fault for not creating GNP for your countries. We also have the fattest people because we have the most food. By comparison, Dregor should be as thin as a toothpick but we know that's not the case so something's amiss. Fuck the U.S. haters...so sick of you people.

It's time to get rid of the U.N. If another country can put together a world peace organization then go for it. If not, shut the fuck up and another one will be created without asshats like the guy above. The United States can't go it alone so if one of you little countries get something going, the U.S. would have to join in. If I had to bet, I'd say there's no chance in hell (if you're not american, insert your country here) can do it so shut your fucking mouths.

Get off your asses and hug an American tomorrow. Thank them for being such wonderful people. This goes for everyone except our staunch allies in Great Britain (hangs with the US in donating food...I'd like to thank our porky partners) and Poland.

Quit putting a fucking political, religious, racial, national spin on this tragedy or at least keep this bullshit away from the other thread on the subject. Trolls. The first paragraph was serious.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

You're usually the first one to come out trolling Winnow, sooooo perhaps take your own advice :)
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:You're usually the first one to come out trolling Winnow, sooooo perhaps take your own advice :)
Not when it comes to natural disasters.
Sirton
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sirton »

Do any of you know what would be the best organization for a doctor to volunteer in, with committing the most of 2-3 months. The number of dead with disease, and all the little islands with no contact and no real protection will likely reach between 140-200k.
Anuin
Gets Around
Gets Around

Re: Tsunami Aid

Post by Anuin »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote: Oh yeah....where is the aid from Muslim countries? Where's the announcement showing aid coming from Indonesia, Suadi Arabia, Pakistan, etc? Actually I shouldn't be hard on Indonesia since they got hit too.

Depending on what news source you read the death toll in Indonesia is between 27,000 - 32,500 people which is approximate half the total death toll. To even mention Indonesia as one of the "evil muslim nations that isn't giving aid" is fucking ignorant. Saying "I shouldn't be hard on Indonesia" means shit, its like premeditated murder vs. man slaughter. You knew including Indonesia was wrong, but you still did it, that makes you a fucker. I have something you should visit mid:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=tact
Desolet wrote:While I agree the deathtoll is much higher in this disaster, I hardly think it dwarfs 9/11 10 times over. Sure, more people were lost in this horrible tragedy, but 9/11 was murder.
That makes no sense. People still died, thats like saying that a person who was murdered is more deserving of rememberence and his/her family is more deserving of help than say someone who was struck by lightning. A life lost is a tragedy, regardless of how it was lost.
Winnow wrote: Fuck that dude and fuck the U.N. It's time to expel the United Nations from New York and time for the United States to start over and recreate a new world organization...maybe France can pump out 1/100th the money the U.S. has and try to start their own peace organization. The United States crushes other countries combined in total aid from its government and private organizations. I could give a shit if we have the largest GNP and the percentages associated with it. That's your own fault for not creating GNP for your countries. We also have the fattest people because we have the most food. By comparison, Dregor should be as thin as a toothpick but we know that's not the case so something's amiss. Fuck the U.S. haters...so sick of you people.

It's time to get rid of the U.N. If another country can put together a world peace organization then go for it. If not, shut the fuck up and another one will be created without asshats like the guy above. The United States can't go it alone so if one of you little countries get something going, the U.S. would have to join in. If I had to bet, I'd say there's no chance in hell (if you're not american, insert your country here) can do it so shut your fucking mouths.
So let me get this straight. Winnow, you are advocating that we unilaterally withdraw from the UN to start another organization to multilaterally participate in international operations? In case im not getting this please let me know.

Although I've definately seen this strategy done somewhere before. Let me think, oh yea, grade school. "I dont get my way in this club, so im going to create a newer and betterer club that I can get my way in. Lets fill it with a whole bunch of small weak kids so that if they threaten me, I can still bully them around and get my way." Damn Winnow, thats a winner, it worked for millions of children around the world, why cant it work of a country with close to an 11 trillion dollar GDP, the most proficient and technologically advanced economy in the world, and with the worlds most powerful military? Good thing you're not proliferating any stereotypes about how Americans think or anything.

Since you're so good at fixing the problems bothering the world, and since its the country's fault that it doesnt have the GDP of the US; according to the CIA factbook the GDP of the US is 10.99 trillion dollars, the GDP of Afghanistan is 20 billion. OMG WINNOW whats your 1337 strat to fix this one!!!111 How do we make Afghanistan an economic powerhouse like the US! Amaze us with your powers.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:Ignoring the rest of this thread, UN Undersecretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Jan Egeland is an asshat for calling anyone stingy right after this disaster occurred. People are looking for unity and encouragement after a natural disaster of these proportions and this fuckwad takes the opportunity to spout off his personal opinions about political crap.
Exactly the reason that prompted me to post this. The wonderful UN, which has politicized this. Not I.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

More proof that Mid is an idiot and talks trash before giving things a chance to develop. Its people like you that rush into shit and blame others for not stopping you.
"Pakistan offered assistance in relief and rescue," Khan told a press conference after the first day of talks, which reviewed progress on a year-long peace process aimed at ending 57 years of hostility between the neighbouring countries.
Those Pakis sure are hateful...
VariaVespasa
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by VariaVespasa »

VariaVespasa wrote:

*Hugs*
Varia
DO I really need to pull out all the past threads from all the "insensitive" things people said as our US soldiers were being beheaded?
If you like, but there are a couple of differences- First, that was a primarily political topic, and political discussion is seldom entirely civilised. And second, they (mostly) werent trolling. You, on the other hand, are. Entertaining yourself by trolling is all very well and good, but entertainment should have boundaries and you just gleefully pole-vaulted over them.

Third, even if we were to grant that they were unconcionably insensitive on the beheading topic, that would excuse your own bad behaviour how, precisely? Two wrongs dont make a right and bad behaviour doesnt somehow become acceptable just because 2 people do it instead of 1.

Behave yourself while trolling.

Varia
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Ignoring the rest of this thread, UN Undersecretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Jan Egeland is an asshat for calling anyone stingy right after this disaster occurred. People are looking for unity and encouragement after a natural disaster of these proportions and this fuckwad takes the opportunity to spout off his personal opinions about political crap.
He actually has a point. And btw, his comment was not directed towards the US at all. I read up on this after reading his comment and a lot of countries don't give shit. The US does. He wasn't specific in his comment (which I can understand) so people like Powell thought he was aiming for them, but he has made it more specific since.

The US gives 0.13% of their GNP in help for other countries. That is actually not a bad percentage.

As for the US creating a new world organization.. will never work. Not ever.
Atokal
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Atokal »

While I certainly agree that putting a political, religious spin on this is wrong, I will say that on these boards and around the planet the USA has taken a beating as being a warmongering nation.

It is refreshing to be reminded of the kindness that the USA is capable of and certainly if you are capable of trashing them for their bad policies then you should be big enough to recognize their tremendous humanitarian efforts down through the years. I believe that Mid was merely pointing out the fact that the US was one of the first if not the first to respond with aid to this catastrophe.

I cannot imagine the devastation in terms of human life.
Atokal
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.
Niccolo Machiavelli
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

70000+ people die and all half of you are capable of is blowing yourselves off.
Desolet
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Desolet »

That makes no sense. People still died, thats like saying that a person who was murdered is more deserving of rememberence and his/her family is more deserving of help than say someone who was struck by lightning. A life lost is a tragedy, regardless of how it was lost.
That is basically what I am saying, neither should dwarf the other. A natural disaster and a terrorist attack are two totally different things. Sure, one has a much larger death toll than the other, but you can't compare the two in regards to which one is more significant or more of a tragedy.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Desolet wrote:Sure, one has a much larger death toll than the other, but you can't compare the two in regards to which one is more significant or more of a tragedy.
You can indeed....

9/11 is more significant... because it had and still has world changing repercussions, good guys, bad guys, and fear.

Tsunami2004 is more of a tragedy, because there is no aggressor, nothing to seek revenge against, and may top 100,000 dead.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

This post should be about aid to the peoples affected by the tsunami. This is a horrific tragedy that is unfolding. Mind staggering amounts of human beings have lost their lives. There should not be one iota of "politics" during this time.

The story is far from over. More people are going to die from cholera, malaria and dengue/dengue hemorrhagic fever over the coming weeks. My heart aches and goes out to these people, their families and loved ones. I do not care if they are Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, Agnostic, Aethiests...Democrat, Republican...black, white, yellow, red. They are human beings...men, woman and children...lives and families lost...changed forever.

If you want to do something constructive send whatever you can...no amount is too small...to one of the reputable aid organizations.

Respectfully,

Moon
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

The thread never had a chance to be anything but political considering how it was started.
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

Atokal wrote:While I certainly agree that putting a political, religious spin on this is wrong, I will say that on these boards and around the planet the USA has taken a beating as being a warmongering nation.

It is refreshing to be reminded of the kindness that the USA is capable of and certainly if you are capable of trashing them for their bad policies then you should be big enough to recognize their tremendous humanitarian efforts down through the years. I believe that Mid was merely pointing out the fact that the US was one of the first if not the first to respond with aid to this catastrophe.

I cannot imagine the devastation in terms of human life.
I, for one, have never questioned the capacity of the United States for doing "greater good" through humanitarian, economic, and political aid. My frustration comes when these acts of "greater good" are overshadowed by a few reckless acts of "warmongering" (your words, not mine). The fact that Midnyte (or anyone else) needs to draw attention to the support being offered by the US shows that the US isn't being viewed charitably on the interntional scene as a result of a handful of indiscretions.

Perhaps, the US and other countries are not doing everything that is in their power to help in this time of need, but I don't doubt that there are good intentions and valuable support being provided by many of the more responsible, compassionate nations in the world, of which the US is one.
[65 Storm Warden] Archeiron Leafstalker (Wood Elf) <Sovereign>RETIRED
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Winnow wrote:Ignoring the rest of this thread, UN Undersecretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Jan Egeland is an asshat for calling anyone stingy right after this disaster occurred. People are looking for unity and encouragement after a natural disaster of these proportions and this fuckwad takes the opportunity to spout off his personal opinions about political crap.
Exactly the reason that prompted me to post this. The wonderful UN, which has politicized this. Not I.
You're so full of shit. You posted this to reinforce your position that the Christian world is 'better' than the Muslim world. You came right out and said it in your first post. You were trolling, and you're still a total douchebag.

It's good that we're giving aid, but one (or many) good act(s) does not excuse all evil that we do. The same as how one (or many) evil act(s) from Muslims doesn't erase all the good that they do. We all do good things sometimes and bad things other times, and both sides think the other is in the wrong. For someone who has been preaching that others focus on the bigger picture (which is about the most laughably ironic position I've ever seen anyone take), you sure keep your eyes closed tightly.

But yeah, "Fuck Muslims" I guess. :roll:
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

I agree with Sylvus, Mid never even mentioned the UN in his first post so I hiughly doubt it motivated him to start this thread. It was more of a cock waving contest between the US/Christians vs every other country.

As a note, Moonwynd is right, donating just 10$ will help.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

Wow. Mid didn't even wait for the lefties to start trolling, he did it himself this time.

http://www.redcross.org/

Donate more than me ($5) and you can come back and call me a heartless asshole, if that's what it takes to get just a little more aid over there.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Lynks wrote:I agree with Sylvus, Mid never even mentioned the UN in his first post so I hiughly doubt it motivated him to start this thread. It was more of a cock waving contest between the US/Christians vs every other country.

Sorry, but it was the comments from the UN that prompted me to start this thread.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Lynks wrote:I agree with Sylvus, Mid never even mentioned the UN in his first post so I hiughly doubt it motivated him to start this thread. It was more of a cock waving contest between the US/Christians vs every other country.

Sorry, but it was the comments from the UN that prompted me to start this thread.
How come your first post didnt mention the UN then?

In case you forgot what you posted, ill even quote your post, so you can see what you wrote.
The "Christian" based America has done it again. Those evil destructive fuckers have come through for others around the world within 24 hours of this horrible tragedy. God damnit! When will they stop their evilness?

Oh yeah....where is the aid from Muslim countries? Where's the announcement showing aid coming from Indonesia, Suadi Arabia, Pakistan, etc? Actually I shouldn't be hard on Indonesia since they got hit too.
Could you please tell me where you mention the UN in this post? Or you rage about the US not doing enough?

Have you even READ what the UN guy said? In case you only heard about it on Fox, ill even quote it for you:
"We were more generous when we were less rich, many of the rich countries," Egeland said. "And it is beyond me, why are we so stingy, really.... Even Christmas time should remind many Western countries at least how rich we have become."
Do you see the UN critizise the US anywhere? The guy are talking about western countries in general, NOT the US. But hey, a guilty person usually feel hit when someone are generalizing, so maybe youre right.

Btw, i live in denmark, a christian country, im a non-believer (not atheist, i dont deny god, i just dont believe in him), and a nordic country. Should i feel hurt by the UNs statement too?
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Didn't you know? US is all that Midnyte knows, so when somebody says something negative in general he takes it personal! That is what happens when you have a very sad, pathetic personal life.
Chmee
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Chmee »

By the way, you can go to http://www.amazon.com and there is a link on the main page to donate to the red cross's efforts. Very easy way to do it. Amazon is waiving fees so all of the donation goes to the Red Cross. Donations through the link are over 2.7 million when I last checked.
No nation was ever ruined by trade.

– Benjamin Franklin
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

Thanks for the link Chmee, I encourage everyone to hit amazon up for at least 5 bucks. It's a combo meal at McDonalds and if everyone did it, they would have more than enough aid.
Thess
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Thess »

Krimson is right, even donating a dollar will help out. I realise a lot of people don't have much money because of the holidays.