Half-Life 2

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Half-Life 2

Post by Sionistic »

Ok its been out for more than a day and im suprised no one has posted anything. What Ive heard so far is that it completely destroys doom3 and halo2. I know at least some of you bastards have it, out with the details!
Kargyle
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Kargyle »

Mind blowing. Doom3 is probably on par graphically, but the game play and atmosphere in HL2 is a step above any other FPS game.

I haven't played Halo2, so I can't make a comparison there.

I will say this. If you were only going play 1 FPS this year, HL2 would be my recommendation.
Cotto
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cotto »

I got it today, its fucking wonderful. Only problem is my computer seems to be crashin during loading. Reckon its my GFX card.
It could be that the only purpose for your every existence, is to serve as a warning to others.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Is it playable at all with my GeForce 4 MX 420, cheap-as-fuck graphic card? Have 2.6ghz processor and 512 ram.
Trias
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Hamlas3r
PSN ID: Hamlaser

Post by Trias »

i compared my comp stats to others playing hl2 via the steam network

and it does appear people are downloading at least when having a geforce 4 mx...i can't say it will work though, really not sure

the game is fucking awesome btw, granted i've only played 30 min so far
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

downloading as we speak....
miir and I are best friends. <3
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Installing as we speak.

Also charging my new MX1000. <3

Edit: As an aside, I think Steam is a heaping pile of shit, and the fact that I have to wait indefinitely to unlock a piece of software that I purchased makes me unhappy.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I almost bought this through Steam earlier this evening then I realised I don't wanna waste an extra 49.95 for 5 days of play until WoW goes retail.
TheDarkreigns
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by TheDarkreigns »

Bought it day of release. Beat it after 2 days. Fun game but a little too easy.
Huzzajin - Troll mage - Whisperwind
<Ixtlan>

Formerly:
Darkreigns S`Upreme
57 Wizard of Solusek Ro
Veeshan Server
<Ixtlan>
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

noel wrote:Installing as we speak.

Also charging my new MX1000. <3

Edit: As an aside, I think Steam is a heaping pile of shit, and the fact that I have to wait indefinitely to unlock a piece of software that I purchased makes me unhappy.
Mine's still working great! It may take a day or two to adjust from the MX700 to the MX1000 completely with the slight change in form.

Laser rules. Optical is outdated and anyone that still uses a ball mouse should take that ball out and shove it up their ass!

Happy Friday.
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

Its the way of the future, get used to it. :?
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Animalor wrote:I almost bought this through Steam earlier this evening then I realised I don't wanna waste an extra 49.95 for 5 days of play until WoW goes retail.
To clarify... I purchased the software in the store. I brought it home. I installed it. The installation took a little bit. I clicked on 'Play HL2', and then I had to wait AT LEAST 20 minutes for Steam to let me fucking play it.

That's fucking stupid.

So far the game looks great, plays great (though my character feels like he's sliding when moving on normal ground a bit more than my taste) sounds great, and is a lot of fun, but I'm not ready to crown it as the greatest FPS evar yet.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

That's because there was a supposed patch after the game was packaged and shipped -- and the sliding afaik is the suit
TheDarkreigns
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by TheDarkreigns »

The only problem I had with the game was the fact that I wasn't able to use my 4 speaker surround sound. Needs a fix for that. Other than that was an excellent game but I have to say it definitely wasn't the king of all FPS.
Huzzajin - Troll mage - Whisperwind
<Ixtlan>

Formerly:
Darkreigns S`Upreme
57 Wizard of Solusek Ro
Veeshan Server
<Ixtlan>
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

Laser rules. Optical is outdated and anyone that still uses a ball mouse should take that ball out and shove it up their ass!
Track ball here baby! You know what I love the most about my Logitech trackball. It's also a security device. No one can fucking use my computer because they can't deal with the track ball :)-
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Cotto
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cotto »

valryte wrote:
Track ball here baby! You know what I love the most about my Logitech trackball. It's also a security device. No one can fucking use my computer because they can't deal with the track ball :)-
Damn right, trackball fo' life!
It could be that the only purpose for your every existence, is to serve as a warning to others.
Kguku
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Kguku »

I've been using the trackman marble since it first game out. I upgraded to the USB version of it as soon as it came out too.
"When you dance with the devil, the devil don't change, the devil changes you."
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

I don't understand the point of Steam.

If it's for security, it doesn't work. It's quite easy to go out and download a working copy of HL2 from anywhere already, and it's only been out a few days.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Acun
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: CommanderKudos

Post by Acun »

Dont you also get the new Counter Strike with HL2?
Booze - Retired Hunter on Zangarmarsh
Acun - Retired Cleric of Veeshan

Suggestions on a game?
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

yes you do
Cotto
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cotto »

....thats it.

I've played for 2 days, and thats it! Im shite at games, it should take me 4 years to complete one without cheating!

Loved the graphics, story-line was fantastic, but they could have gone in so much more. Eh, lets hope they bring out good add-ons (bareny and stuff) and hurry up with the new one.
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

Hey Cotto, did you play with auto-aim on hehe
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Cotto
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cotto »

no

...yes
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Legitimate purchasers are always the ones that lameass copy protection inconveniences the most. It's always been that way.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Legitimate purchasers are always the ones that lameass copy protection inconveniences the most. It's always been that way.
Same with DVD movie buyers these days. HD movies are better quality but you can't buy them legally so you can buy a DVD and then record the better copy off of HBO-HD for actual viewing.
Ebumar
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ebumar »

Was too short. Fucking amazing game though. The engine was awesome. I can't wait to get to the modding stages.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm trying to get my hands on Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. It uses the same engine as Half Life 2. With the exception of some AI issues etc, people seem to be loving it. Anything that uses the HL2 engine is worth at least a look at this point.

If I can track it down and play it, I'll post a review.
Last edited by Winnow on March 9, 2005, 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ebumar
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ebumar »

Yeah, me too. I've been playing the pen and paper vamp since I was 15. So I'm all about the video games.

Whats your opinion on the new eddition of vampire? I like it - a lot of people hate it, but its only because they are stubborn and lazy.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Winnow wrote:
I'm trying to get my hands on Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. It uses the same engine as Half Life 2. With the exception of some AI issues etc, people seem to be loving it. Anything that uses the HL2 engine is worth at least a look at this point.

If I can track it down and play it, I'll post a review.
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... loodlines/

Almost 4 months laters I installed this game and it's pretty good. Awesome graphics. They made good use of the Half Life 2 engine. The voices, music and atmosphere is pretty good. Nice range of powers to use.

It's max res is only 1600X1200 so I wouldn't buy it as it won't fill up my 1920X1200 screen. Still looks good in 1:1 pixel mode.

It's worth checking out if you find it on the newsgroups. 3 CD's. Use Alchohol 120% to virtually mount the first CD to play after installing. Best dancing I've seen in a game from models (not saying much for games but they don't look completely retarded) at the Asylum club in the game combined with a good mp3 soundtrack makes for nice atmosphere. This game scores high for sound effects.(and automatically high for graphics with HL2 engine)
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

hl2.... the best game engine ever developed, for the worst game ever concieved.

hl2 and doom3 are interchangeable there.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Fash wrote:hl2.... the best game engine ever developed, for the worst game ever concieved.

Seconded.

Personally I think HL2's engine > D3's
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

noel wrote:
Fash wrote:hl2.... the best game engine ever developed, for the worst game ever concieved.

Seconded.

Personally I think HL2's engine > D3's
Third'd

I haven't looked hard, but I don't see a lot of games being developed using the HL2 engine. Bloodlines showed some real promise. The special abilities of the various vampires had some nice special effects. A lot of items are photorealistic.

I haven't played HL2 multiplayer. Does the engine perform well in online/multiplayer mode?
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Winnow wrote:I haven't played HL2 multiplayer. Does the engine perform well in online/multiplayer mode?
i played counter strike source multiplayer on the hl2 engine.. it ran incredible.

hl2 >>>>>> doom3
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fash wrote:
hl2 >>>>>> doom3
Seconded
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

Tough call.
HL2's physics + Doom3's graphics would be a pwn game.

But.. HL2>D3.

Counterstrike, otoh, is great with the source engine.
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
Erolz NTurnet
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Erolz NTurnet »

Counterstrike is just a filler for me until DoD Source is released.. :oops: unless Brothers in Arms multiplayer is really really good.
Hooray Beer!
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

Erolz NTurnet wrote:Counterstrike is just a filler for me until DoD Source is released.. :oops:
:vv_yeahthat:
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Any word on DoD release date? And what servers do you guys play CS:S on?
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

well i play dod all the time. So that above statement is false. So far dod is in closed beta and only open to a couple of people. The next phase is probably going to be another closed beta but with a lot more people.
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

I play mostly on FY maps.
Name on frineds is "Akaran".. I go for whatever server is up, open, has a map I like and people playing on it when I log in.
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
Erolz NTurnet
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Erolz NTurnet »

On gametrailers.com, there's two movies of DoD:S you can view if you search for them. It's nothing but really crappy video of someone running thru Avalance and Flash though.

If you want to find me, just go to gametiger.com and do a search for doodoobrown. Usually I'm on a server called [TRU] Fun | Virginia FF ON or something like that.
Hooray Beer!
cid
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cid »

Here is a great server for cs

http://www.cs-collective.com
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

Erolz NTurnet wrote:On gametrailers.com, there's two movies of DoD:S you can view if you search for them. It's nothing but really crappy video of someone running thru Avalance and Flash though.

If you want to find me, just go to gametiger.com and do a search for doodoobrown. Usually I'm on a server called [TRU] Fun | Virginia FF ON or something like that.
theres a thread on the official steam-dod forums that links to a ton of videos of dod:s. A lot of them are just people playing around with the ragdolls though :)

edit: Also, steam friends sucks with with passion of a crack whore. I use xfire all the time. http://www.xfire.com . It does what steam friends does and more. Plus *gasp* it works all the time. My name on it is MassDestruction.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

i'm rellix2 on xfire
Erolz NTurnet
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Erolz NTurnet »

Yeah Steam sucks. I haven't been to the Steam forums in a loooong while and my friends list had been down even longer. Logged on for one map last night and got fed up with the asshats. So instead, I watched the first half of the BSG miniseries while playing EQ2.

I really need to get Netflix so I can watch Farscape or something.. oh yes, and a life would be nice too. :(
Hooray Beer!
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I finally bought this last night, and all above statements about its greatness are true. It runs better on my box with full settings than Doom III, which kinda pisses me off, but it is what it is....but on the box the requirements are lower than Doom's, so I imagine it is just how it was programmed. My system is a 3.0ghz P4, 1gb ram, 6800 ultra, SATA HD....and like I said, turn it all on, no problems.

The reason I decided to buy it lastnight, is because Gamestop had the DVD version for $50. I have so many game CD's laying around, it is nice when companies release a dvd version. And no, Gamestop does NOT have the regular version any cheaper, it is still $55...so it pays to buy the collectors edition.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Could have downloaded it through steam for 50 bucks - no CD/DVD :)
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Question for the CS fans...

Do I need a separate copy (license) of HL2 to act as a CS:Source dedicated server? Or could I install HL2/CS:Source on an separate box only to act as a dedicated server?

Thanks in advance.