Gfx card help

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Cotto
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Gfx card help

Post by Cotto »

Recently found out that my girlfriends computer has an integrated graphics card (when we paid for a normal one, how nice!). However it does have a free AGP slot, and I have a 128mb Radeon lyin around doing nothing.

What do I need to do to use the Radoen. I've been told about uninstallin the drivers for the integrated and then installin the new ones, but also someone mentioned there was a switch for the integrated.
Any clues?
It could be that the only purpose for your every existence, is to serve as a warning to others.
Kguku
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Kguku »

Uninstall your current drivers

Reboot and load up your CMOS

Check to see if there is a setting in the CMOS to disable on the onboard video.

If there isn't it means that your mobo will cycle off the onboard video once it detects the card plugged in.

Save your CMOS changes

Power off the machine

Install new card

Power up machine

Install new drivers.

Done!
"When you dance with the devil, the devil don't change, the devil changes you."
Llaffer
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Llaffer »

Depending on how old her machine is, it could be a jumper on the motherboard to disbale the on-board video.

If it's a built system (Compaq, HP, etc.) go to their web site and look up the model -- if it's a custom system, you'll have to find the motherboard manucactuer and model number to do this -- to try to find out how to disable the on-board video if you can't find it in the BIOS.

Especially if adding your old video card doens't free up any "stolen" system memory (on-board video likes to steal memory from the system to pretend to be video RAM, so a 512 meg RAM system may only report as 448 to Windows).