CHILI EMERGENCY!!

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Arundel Pajo
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: concreteeye

CHILI EMERGENCY!!

Post by Arundel Pajo »

Ok... I need help in a bad way. Pherr? I'm looking in your direction... Arborealus? Canelek?

The girlfriend's mom entered me in their community chili cookoff.

I can make a mean black bean/chipotle chili, but I have to have two chilis. AND I HAVE TO HAVE 3 GALLONS OF EACH!!!

I'm all in a panic. I have some good chili recipes, and good ideas....but I want to win this thing!

Ideas?

How do I make 3 gallons of chili? o_O
Hawking - 80 Necromancer, AOC Mannannan server, TELoE
Also currently enjoying Left 4 Dead on XBL. :)
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Canes Chili recipie rocks... heres the link...

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9762
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Re: CHILI EMERGENCY!!

Post by Xouqoa »

Arundel Pajo wrote:How do I make 3 gallons of chili? o_O
Lots of Crock Pots! =D
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

take your normal 1/2 gallon recipe and do 6 of them, seriously, just check your seasonings as these things vary as you increase quantity. I'd use Can's chili as the recipe is there and somehow I don't think I have ever written a chili recipe, just one of those things you cook.
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Tenuvil
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tenuvil »

Cano's recipe should scale up to 3 gallons pretty well with no modifications, but taste before you add the hot sauces. Dave's Insanity products are teh <3 but can be painful for the uninitiated...

and seriously consider using stew beef rather than ground beef, trust me on this :D
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Gonna have to agree on the cubed meat... for Sunday's football games I made Canno's recipie again with cubed meat... and it is <3

Heh, I just got finished telling a friend that I didnt make it very spicy this time, and someone who had had it the last time goes... "Holy shit... this is waaaaayyy hotter than the last time" :lol:
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

3 gallons of chili is an assload....literally! Why so much? Are there going to be that many "tasters"?
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

If I'm tossing chili on a dog (like at the Jets game this past weekend), I use ground beef. Otherwise, cubed chuck is the way to go.

Chili competitions are interesting mainly because you have to know your judges. Are they really into spice or do they prefer a solid tomato base? Sometimes, the hot is key and chipoltes do that quite nicely.

Is it just me, but does your eyes itch after seeding a chili pepper? You'd think a mosquito was sucking on my eye as soon as I know I can't rub it
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

hehe, found this over at Wikipedia when looking a chili.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

I sure as hell wouldnt go near The Source sauce, from Original Juan Specialty Foods. What fool would put something in his mouth thats hotter than police grade pepper spray :shock:
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Tenuvil
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tenuvil »

Hesten wrote:What fool would put something in his mouth thats hotter than police grade pepper spray :shock:
me? I've had it, it's ubar hot but not much flavour. Sauces like Dave's, Mad Dog and Blair's have great flavour as well as enough heat to blast your ass :P

The best thing about being a hot sauce aficionado is that you become somewhat immune to police pepper spray :D
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Be VERY careful around Blair's.... when one numbers his product, it is a scary surprise. That stuff WILL harm you.

Aside from that, thanks for the props on my recipe. :) Much <3.

Like everyone else has said, go your own way off of a base recipe, chili is happy like that. ;) Cubed meat is often better than ground, and vise versa. Chili is all about the taste and texture and the individualism put into it! Once you make a change to my recipe, it is deemed yours--and you can pass it on to others to add their own personality to it. :)
en kærlighed småkager