Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Vaemas
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: BeaverButter

Bourne Supremecy

Post by Vaemas »

Camera work gave me a headache...literally. If you are at all prone to motion sickness, BE WARNED! Girlfriend said the camera operator must have come straight from Blair Witch.

Now that I've seen it, I wouldn't have paid full price, maybe matinee. Wasn't terrible, but like almost all "part 2" movies, it couldn't follow in the shoes of the first.
High Chancellor for Single Malt Scotches, Accounting Stuffs and Biffin Greeting.
/tell Biffin 'sup bro!
Ennia
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ennia »

rotten tomatoes has so far a rating of 79% fresh for this movie
Ebert & Roeper say even it's one of the best thrillers in recent years
haven't seen it yet but I've built kinda high expectations for this movie
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

I just came back from it

Honestly it is one of the worst movies i have seen in a long time

VERY SLIGHT SPOILER, but not one, so read it anyways
Although at the CIA meetings i did get a kick out of the token "pissed off CIA agent that never says anything but the camera always goes to him showing a slightly irritated and odd facial expression"
[Show]
the entire movie consist of him running away from people shadowed by a weak ass photo copied plot line, now that i think about it, the only thing Matt Damon had to run away from was the shitty ass camera man that tryed to implement his artistic yet cutting edge "shaky cam" in a very shitty fashion, well i guess he had to use it to cover up the lame-ness of the fight scenes
Last edited by Xzion on July 25, 2004, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-xzionis human mage on mannoroth
-zeltharath tauren shaman on wildhammer
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

This movie was awesome. Was exciting all the way through. Some really kickass action sequences. One of the best spy-thrillers Ive seen, period.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Opinions are all over the place on this one! Best...worse..which is it!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Guess it all depends on what people go in expecting. Plan on waiting on it to come out on DVD myself.
Runcade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Runcade »

I really enjoyed the movie. the shaky camera was different and kind of annoying but it made it seem more real in a way
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

I enjoyed it. It was pretty predictable, yeah, but fun to watch. The only major fault was the goddamn camera. It got extremely annoying sometimes.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Movie was ok. I'd give it my usual rating of 8.

Will agree that the camera technique they used basically sucks. It wouldn't have been as bad if they had used it sparingly. Basically it looks like they shot the whole thing on handicams. And maybe they did! But I don't really like it.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Movie was ok. I'd give it my usual rating of 8.

Will agree that the camera technique they used basically sucks. It wouldn't have been as bad if they had used it sparingly. Basically it looks like they shot the whole thing on handicams. And maybe they did! But I don't really like it.
Hmmm..sounds like getting a camcorder copy of this movie already shot with camcorders may cause extreme nausea!
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Either that or the movie may come out not shakey at all.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I just got back from it and I really enjoyed it. I'm on the fence about the camera work; it got a little annoying sometimes but I do feel it added to making the movie seem more real. The action was great and I felt it was a good continuation of the story from the first one.
[Show]
I disagree that he was running from people the whole time. In fact, he was taking it to everyone the whole time, he just had to run from time to time when he got somewhere and they were waiting for him, so that he could double back and take care of business.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The main time it was annoying was the action sequences. I would have preferred a little less jumping all over the place. It was still present throughout the movie but I could live with it. It just felt more like a gimmick thing to me.

The car chase was pretty good especially near the end when they were in the tunnel.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I liked the movie a lot. As far as the camera work, I only recall one time where it bothered me, I can't remember specifically when that was, but it was a fight scene. What I am wondering, if anyone knows is; how many books were there in this series?
Avryce
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Avryce »

I think there's three books I looked it up on Amazon a few days back. From the reader reviews the third book sucked pretty bad.

Looking forward to seeing this movie haven't had a chance to yet the first one was great.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Camera work like that in a drama, to make a fight more visceral. A lot of the violent scenes in Natural Born Killers were like this. When a movie is intended to be action, however, I want to see the damn action. Also, wobbly camera work during the dramatic scenes, like the beginning shots in India as an example, is inexcusable and just looks amaturish. I think they realized this after they completed post on the fight scene with the other treadmill guy in Berlin, because it wasn't as erratic from that point forward.

That said, I liked this move a lot, but I enjoy low key spy thrillers. It reminded me of the movie No Way Out in a lot of ways, with the emotional elements and intrigue. With a couple small exceptions, it was fairly believable and the chase scene at the end was one of the best non CGI stunt sequences I can remember seeing in years. MY only real gripe is the tacked on hollywood ending which detracted from the whole scene where he confessed to the russian girl, but even that was fairly low key and seemed like more of a set up for the next movie, to establish him as being in the US.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Camera work didn't really bother me too much, and I loved it in the car chase scene. That was one of the best car chases ever imho, really got me pulled into it.

Overall, excellent movie. Loved it, as did everyone else I heard talking about it while we walked out of the theater.
Deneve
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Deneve »

Runcade wrote:I really enjoyed the movie. the shaky camera was different and kind of annoying but it made it seem more real in a way
Hrm, I don't even remember the shaky camera effect....
Runcade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Runcade »

Deneve wrote:
Runcade wrote:I really enjoyed the movie. the shaky camera was different and kind of annoying but it made it seem more real in a way
during the car chase scenes and also when he is fighting the other treadstone agent.
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

It wasn't that annoying during the car chase - the car chase scene was great, in my opinion. Nearly all of the opening scenes used a shaky hand-cam, but yeah, when he was fighting the other Treadstone agent it was really annoying. Most of the time you couldn't really tell who was punching who.
Sylvos
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sylvos »

The movie was completely awesome, I can not wait for them to begin filming and setting up for the third movie.
Deneve
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Deneve »

Runcade wrote:
Deneve wrote:
during the car chase scenes and also when he is fighting the other treadstone agent.
Oh yeah, I do remember it during the car chase...I was too busy thinking how that taxi must have been a de-commisioned military vehicle or something with the way it took those beatings...
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

heh well.. that is an interesting comment.. those cars aren't made by light-weight materials like modern western cars are :) The car chase wasn't really that fast due to the cars being slower and heavier.. but in my experience they can take a beating.

Back home we got an old Volga, put a V8 in it and kept it on it's original bike-like tires.. was fun as hell when some rich kid in a BMW tried to look cool and you responded by doing a burn-out in 3rd gear.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Watched it tonight.

Enjoyed the movie overall. The shaky camera was unecessary and distracting. It was almost comical at times...I thought they were going to start zooming in on each person (drama style) as they switched views every 3 seconds. THe director shot the entire movie like it was an MTV video where you are required to switch camera angles and jiggle scenes rapid fire style to cover up low budget sets.

I hope enough people complain about the camera jitters so the director cuts down on it next time. Whatever effect he was going for failed. 75 percent less shake and the movie would have been just fine.
icknay
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by icknay »

It was good. I didn't see the first one...not sure how that happened...so I' wasn't hip to all the flashbacks but I wasn't totally lost either.
Overall I enjoyed it, but felt really sorry for that poor taxi :(
Mplor
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Mplor »

After the car chase, I just sat back in my seat and said 'Wow'. Up there with the chase in Ronin, for me.

I kinda ding Franka Potente since Run Lola Run and was hoping to see more of her. Julia Stiles ain't hard on the eyes either, but much to little of her as well.
The Boney King of Nowhere.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Franke Potente is great, <3 teh german girls.

For more of her, check out The Princess and the Warrior.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

i thought it was an enjoyable. those of you who were bothered by the shaky camera happen to watch this at home on television? It didn't bother me at all. you fuckers must be old!!

though to be fair, now that we have an infant, just getting out on a weekend puts me in such a good frame of mind, that i'd probably give "The Lion King 3: Simba Flies a Kite" 2 thumbs up with a quarter chub.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Voronwë wrote:i thought it was an enjoyable. those of you who were bothered by the shaky camera happen to watch this at home on television? It didn't bother me at all. you fuckers must be old!!

though to be fair, now that we have an infant, just getting out on a weekend puts me in such a good frame of mind, that i'd probably give "The Lion King 3: Simba Flies a Kite" 2 thumbs up with a quarter chub.
I'm leaning toward the fact that you were able to get out on the weekend negating any issues with camera shake over the old comment!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Just watched this.. good movie, but the fight scene in the house with the camera work was a waste of time. It took so much away from the scene and gave me a headache watching it. I don't think the movie as a whole was as good as the first one, there was much less of Bourne showing how highly trained and mysterious the Treadstone ops were and seemed more like a Fugitive clone.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

I thought the main bad sniper dude made that movie. He was such a kickass villain and...and he was played by Eomer from LoTR!!