PS3 finally hacked? (for real this time)

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: PS3 finally hacked? (for real this time)

Post by Winnow »

anyone have 3.55 CFW hacked? I used Kmeaw's CFW, it's installed and I can pull up Multiman but nothings running (backups). Version I had was pre patched meaning L2.PKG not required.

I had no time to spend on this last night so I'll probably figure it out tonight. Just wondering if I need anything else other than the Prepatched 3.55 Kmeaw and Multiman. All my other older Managers and FTP apps don't work. the Permissions Fix .pkg won't run either.

Will check it out later tonight. Must play Hyperdimension Neptunia!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I don't have any of that. You probably don't want to go online with it though as I guess Sony been sending out threatening emails and banning consoles. Which is fine as far as responses go. I am surprised to see how far they are going with legal efforts and (allegedly) raiding people's homes. Nearly a complete opposite to how Microsoft handles it. Which is simply ban people and move on not send the gestapo out to hackers houses. It seems Sony can't accept they fact that they had shitty security and people found a way around it. I seriously doubt I'll buy anything else Sony puts out. I hope when the NGP comes out it remains unhacked so Sony doesn't have anyone to blame for shitty software sales (miir note:outside of Japan) like they are using for the current PSP.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hyperdimensional Neptunia is up and running!

Updating from 3.41 to 3.55 appears to have wiped my game folder so that's why I couldn't find anything.

I ended up using

PS3_Custom_Firmware_v3.55_Backup_Manager_Patched_Wutangrza-kmeaw

with latest Multiman

Multiman kinda cool. has 1100 covers for games and can download latest. These game managers are way better than what the PS3 offers by default.

See what you're missing out on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq8Za-cVkrk

These whacky Japanese PS3 only titles are one of the few reasons to play around with the CFW.

Quote from the game: (spelling right from text, voices in English but can be in Japanese...kinda funny to hear it in English)

"Shut yer hole! I can't stand the way you talk all high n' mighty. Get outta here, Thunder Tits!"

"The hell's that? Listen to that crap, talkin' out yer ass. I'll kill you! Die!"
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

New GeoHot interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h-cTkfKbA4

They guy got a ton of donations towards his legal fees. GeoHot ranks up there with Mark Zuckerberg for his social skills!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

graf_chokolo > geohot
Originally Posted by graf_chokolo
February 25, 2011 at 7:22 am

Back I don’t have a PC at home now guys, so i will post here only when i’m able. I will try to answer all your questions about HV and installing Linux. But expect some delays because as i said i don’t have access to the Internet all the time.

You know guys, you will say i’m totally crazy now, but i never slept better than in the last 2 days I don’t know how to explain this feeling but i don’t care about those threats with jail and high money penalties, btw, SONY wants about 750.000 euros from me if i don’t cooperate They don’t know me at all I don’t care about it and they might double it The higher is the sum the higher gets my motivation They don’t understand what makes me tick. Money and even my life doesn’t mean to me very much without knowledge. I have a scientific mind and the knowledge is food to my brain. Without HV, Linux and FreeBSD kernel hacking my life is meaningless.

I miss my HV terribly In the last 2 days i got so “hungry” for more knowledge that i cannot control it anymore. I need knowledge and research, it has a huge meaning in my life. Jail or even death cannot hold it back anymore. Using the legal system to stop something like the original Jailbreak? Sure.. But going after individuals for posting knowledge is pretty fucking nazish. Ironic that it happened in Germany then I guess!

The SONY’s laywer asked me why i’m doing what i’m doing, because of my hatred for SONY ? He cannot understand why i’m doing it, because he is paid for what he does. I’m not. I don’t hold a grudge against SONY even now Hatred clouds your mind, keeps you from more important things. I have a better use for my mind and knowledge

So, SONY you failed again, you took my equipment but my mind is still free and you canot control it. You failed again. They are just tools, i can get new ones and will continue my HV reversing and bringing back PS3 Linux which you took from us. If you want me to stop then you should just kill me because i cannot live without programming, HV and Linux kernel hacking You know who am i and where i live, so come and get me !!!

And to prove it, i will reopen right now my HV reverse engineering page And i will post my latest findings about Update Manager and BD drive here. Most of you know already that i was able to update CORE OS from Linux. And on the last weekend i tries to hel some PS3 devs with BD drive authentication and discovered some interesting stuff about it which i will post here.

And please guys, could someone post here a link to the latest version of my cloned Linux kernel. I need it. The last week i implemnted a updater for Linux and it was finished but the police got first before i could upload it. But do not fear, i have everything in my head I can write it down again and show you how it works.
I really have no comment for how Sony is going about this. Hacking your own shit gets you raided and your computers/consoles taken by the cops? They're really getting out of control. Using the legal system to stop things like the original Jailbreak device? Sure I can see that. But going after individuals just for posting knowledge gained from hacking their own devices is rather nazish. Ironic that it happened in Germany I guess!

--
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Aslanna wrote:I really have no comment for how Sony is going about this.
Lies.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Now apparently just visiting a site makes you a potential criminal and lets Sony get identify you. Even though the 'jailbreak' that was posted did not enable piracy. Even just watching a video is also enough to get your information turned over to Sony. That judge is a retard.
Today Wired.com (has published legal documents confirming a federal judge has granted Sony the right via subpoena to unmask anybody who visited GeoHot's site, including but not limited to those who downloaded the PS3 "jailbreak.zip" file.

To quote: "A federal magistrate is granting Sony the right to acquire the Internet IP addresses of anybody who has visited PlayStation 3 hacker George Hotz' website from January of 2009 to the present.

Thursday's decision by Magistrate Joseph Spero to allow Sony to subpoena Hotz' web provider raises a host of web privacy concerns.

The subpoena to Bluehost, which maintains Hotz' geohot.com site, is part of Sony's lawsuit against the 21-year-old New Jersey hacker. Respected for his iPhone hacks and now the PlayStation 3 jailbreak, Hotz is accused of breaching the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and other laws after he published on his website an encryption key and software tools that allow Playstation owners to gain complete control of their consoles from the firmware on up.

Sony also won subpoenas) for data from YouTube and Google, as well as Twitter account data linked to Hotz, who goes by the handle GeoHot.

The Bluehost subpoena requires requires the company to turn over "documents reproducing all server logs, IP address logs, account information, account access records, and application or registration forms" tied to Hotz' hosting. The subpoena also demands "any other identifying information corresponding to persons or computers who have accessed or downloaded files hosted using your service and associated" with the http://www.geohot.com website, including but not limited to the "geohot.com/jailbreak.zip file."

Sony told Spero, a San Francisco magistrate, that it needed the information for at least two reasons.

One is to prove "defendant's distribution" of the hack. The other involves a jurisdictional argument over whether Sony must sue Hotz in his home state of New Jersey rather than San Francisco, which Sony would prefer. Sony said the server logs would demonstrate that many of those whom downloaded Hotz' hack reside in Northern California — thus making San Francisco a proper venue for the case.

The DMCA prohibits the trafficking of so-called "circumvention devices" designed to crack copy protection schemes. The law does not require Sony to prove that Hotz received payment for the hack, which was designed to allow PlayStation 3 owners the ability to run home-brewed software or alternative operating systems like Linux. It builds on a series of earlier jailbreaks that unlocked less protected levels of the PlayStation's authentication process.

Jailbreaking a console is also a prerequisite to running pirated copies of games, which Sony emphasizes in its lawsuit.

"I think the these subpoenas, the information they seek, is inappropriate," said Corynne McSherry, a staff attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation. In a letter to Magistrate Spero, she termed the subpoenas "overly broad."

The judge also signed off on a subpoena to Google seeking the logs for Hotz' Blogger.com blog, geohotps3.blogspot.com.

A subpoena to YouTube, also approved, seeks information connected to the "geohot" account that displayed a video of the hack being used: "Jailbroken PS3 3.55 with Homebrew." The subpoena demands data to identify who watched the video and "documents reproducing all records or usernames and IP addresses that have posted or published comments in response to the video."

A fourth subpoena is directed at Twitter, demanding the disclosure of all of Hotz' tweets, and "documents sufficient to identify all names, addresses, and telephone numbers associated with the Twitter account."

Sony has threatened to sue anybody who has posted the hacking tools or the encryption key. It is seeking unspecified damages from Hotz.

A hearing on whether Hotz will be tried in San Francisco or New Jersey is set for next month in San Francisco federal court."
I hope Microsoft is still in the console business come the next generation because I swear I wont be buying Sony's offering. I get that they have to protect their interests but they've really gone overboard on the nazi tactics.

(and yes I realize I've compared them to nazis in two consecutive posts but it is well deserved!)

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sony is heading downhill fast.

I grabbed Borderlands GOTY edition for the PS3 so I could check out the expansions.

The PS3 controller is a steaming pile of crap. Anyone that's played Borderlands on both consoles should be able to understand this...especially if they played on the 360 first and then had to play with that crapass PS3 controller.

Yes...I drove to Fry's and bought the little $5.00 triggers for the PS3 controller. It helps a little but comes nowhere close to matching the 360's excellent trigger ergonomics. You still can't use the triggers correctly. the design of the PS3 controller forces you to contort your wrists and hold your hands in awkward positions. The big fat add-on triggers are a poor substitute for the perfectly designed thin 360 triggers that you can use with just the tip of your finger if you wish. I really can't see how someone could play a game like Killzone or any other shooter with that fucked up PS3 controller.

On top of that, the R3 and L3 buttons are crap as well...which is plain to see in Borderlands. There's no indent on the top of the buttons which makes it a pain in the ass to used the push down functions compared to the 360 controller. Every time in Borderlands that I have to push R3 or L3 to Sprint or Melee attack I can't help but think how fucking bad the design of the controller is. The joysticks are too loose as well on the PS3.

The 360 controller fits your hand like a glove and is spaced very well for thumb positions and holding the controller in your hand. Can't count how many times I've dropped that fucked up PS3 controller as it's very difficult to hold with one hand with those short little nubs that are supposed to be held in the palm of your hand...just like the lame as triggers, your hands/fingers slip right off them easily as opposed to the 360's larger, more batwinged design that lets your wrists stay in a more natural position. The PS3 controller really is a piece of shit. It's also fucked up when you're not actively using it. Easy to place a 360 contoller on your lap. The PS3's triggers are so fucked up, they are easy to set off accidentally. The PS3 controller slides all over the place. Once again, 360's controller design allows for you to place the controller on your lap, or other non flat temp location because there's something below the trigger to set your controller down on, instead of setting it down directly on the triggers..what a fucked up design...and the grip behind the 360's triggers feels so much better than the PS3's...it allows you to rest the controller on your fingers bearing the weight/balance of the controller with one hand by holding the palm part and pressing your middle finger up against the hard plastic part behind the trigger...can't do that on the fucked up PS3 controller, making it a pain in the ass to hold the controller with one hand...and yes, you do hold it with one hand when you get a drink, grab some chips, etc...unless you want to put your controller down every time.

PS3 is such a fucked up design...top to bottom. Fuck Sony.
Last edited by Winnow on March 5, 2011, 7:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Buy a 3rd party controller and shut the fuck up already.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I thought the purpose of consoles was ease of use and simple plug and play....little extra trigger thingies....third party controllers...new 30 minute firmware updates on a weekly basis...taking away features...adding new features to same generation controllers...rumble,,no rumble...backwards compatibility?...who knows? ..get out your PS3 console version reference chart...doesn't sound like Sony understands how consoles work.

Now the 360 on the other hand....still using first generation controller and console. No changes...very few firmware updates and when there is one, it's fast and actually adds something new instead of just take away or waste the user's time with weekly security fixes.

If Sony is going to fuck their customers over, they may as well make a new controller that's worth a damn and sell it with their new PS3s.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Seriously man, you're the biggest fucking crybaby on these forums.
Gow a pair you fucking pussy.

My 2 year old son dodn't whine as much as you.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hopefully your two year old son won't have to put up with shitty Sony products when he grows up.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Geohot's off the hook!
The saga of Geohot and Sony is now behind us. As the out-of-nowhere headlines today reveal, infamous iDevice and PS3 hacker George "GeoHot" Hotz and Sony have apparently patched things up. In fact, the two warring parties are coming to terms with their recent high-profile legal grudge match and settling matters peacefully.

Moments ago, Sony and Geohot released a joint statement heralding a conclusion to the courtroom showdown that has dragged on for weeks. "The parties reached an agreement in principle on March 31, 2011," the statement reads. "As part of the settlement, Hotz consented to a permanent injunction."

What does this mean exactly? It's safe to assume Geohot agreed to stop hacking any and all Sony products, an outcome that once again raises the question of the legality of jailbreaking. After all, if a prominent hacker agrees to an injunction to stop what Sony calls an illegal activity, might not this precedent suggest that others attempting to jailbreak the PS3 - or other devices - might be held up to similar prosecution? These are important questions that, without a doubt, will soon surface in another case involving jailbreaking.

“Sony is glad to put this litigation behind us,” said Riley Russell, General Counsel for SCEA. “Our motivation for bringing this litigation was to protect our intellectual property and our consumers. We believe this settlement and the permanent injunction achieve this goal.”

“It was never my intention to cause any users trouble or to make piracy easier,” Hotz added, “I’m happy to have the litigation behind me.”

“We want our consumers to be able to enjoy our devices and products in a safe and fun environment and we want to protect the hard work of the talented engineers, artists, musicians and game designers who make PlayStation games and support the PlayStation Network,” added Russell. “We appreciate Mr. Hotz’s willingness to address the legal issues involved in this case and work with us to quickly bring this matter to an early resolution.”
I wonder if those "Anonymous" denial of service attacks on the PSN had any impact on this. The date says March 31st that they came to an agreement, so maybe not.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

So basically, Sony couldn't win and didn't want to set a precedent. Got it.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I think Sony just saw the mountain of bad PR and said "Fuck it". This way is a graceful out for everyone involved. THe only winners here are the lawyers.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Animalor wrote:I think Sony just saw the mountain of bad PR and said "Fuck it". This way is a graceful out for everyone involved. THe only winners here are the lawyers.
Maybe. But Geohot wasn't the only only they went after so I'm curious what happens with fail0verflow and graf_chokolo.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Bad PR?
Maybe from people who pirate games and hack consoles. :roll:
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:Bad PR?
Um, Geohot also hacks iOS. People would care if Sony fucked up his psyche and he stopped jailbreaking Apple products. It's not always about Sony and the PS3. Geohot is one of the primary hackers for a product people care a lot about. So yes, people who don't own a PS3 that have jail broken iPhones and iPads could easily be turned off of Sony products and PS3...something that they probably wouldn't even hack. Bad for business. Wii and Xbox were hacked early on. They seem to be doing just fine. Bad public relations.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:Bad PR?
I buy games and hacking hardware you own isn't (shouldn't be) illegal. So yeah definite bad PR as I wont be buying another Sony product due to their nazi tactics. MS has piracy yet they look for technical ways to fix their shit. Sending the law after people because you're butthurt over your own shitty security is lame. Especially when nothing those people have done directly allows for piracy.

And yeah Sony probably got word from their pet judge that she wouldn't be able to grant jurisdiction and a trial in CA so Sony got all scared and 'settled' since they knew they wouldn't win in court on neutral soil.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

you guys are a fucking riot.

All this imaginary 'bad PR' has certainly not hurt the sales of the PS3.
It's outselling both the Wii and the 360 in 2011.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Thanks! I accept your apology.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote: All this imaginary 'bad PR' has certainly not hurt the sales of the PS3.
It's outselling both the Wii and the 360 in 2011.

Because it's hackable!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

It was outselling the hackable 360 when when it wasn't hackable.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I couldn't care less about sales numbers. I can only express my own feelings on how Sony handled the situation and I don't like it. Therefore I wont be investing in any more of their hardware in the future. I'll use what I already have as tossing it out would have no impact at all as they already got their money off that. I'm perfectly fine with others having a completely opposite perspective.

I really just want the ability to install games to the internal hard drive. If Sony added that I think a lot of people wouldn't have even bothered with 'backup' mangers and those that did more than likely wouldn't have bought the game anyway.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I'd been favoring the 360 for my purchases already regardless of this whole issue but the heavy-handedness with which they went after this definately doesn't make me look favorably upon them.

It sure doesn't want to make me give them more of my money.

Oh and I don't hack my hardware. Xbox'es, PS3 OR my PSP.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Calling it 'imaginary' bad PR just means you live in a bubble cut off from the outside world. How is a multi-billion dollar company trying to crush a young college student (and similar others) for doing nothing wrong, other than exposing your shitty security, considered good PR? If you're not happy with your security then fix it and move on.

Also saying it 'certainly has not hurt sales' is a non-provable statement. Just because the sales numbers are good doesn't mean they're as high as they might otherwise be. Although I imagine this might be a regional thing as people in Japan probably don't give a shit what happens over here in the western world.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Hotz must permanently refrain from hacking, reverse engineering, disassembling, bypassing, disabling, circumventing (you get the idea) any Sony product or any portion of a Sony product. If Hotz should do any of the above or help anyone in a similar endeavor, he must pay a $10,000 fine per violation with a cap of $250,000.
Hotz sounds pretty butthurt about the whole ordeal.
As of 4/11/11, I am joining the SONY boycott. I will never purchase another SONY product. I encourage you to do the same. And if you bought something SONY recently, return it. Why would you not boycott a company who feels this way about you?"
Boohoo.

It looks like Hotz is the biggest loser.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Thanks for engaging in meaninfgul discussion, cartalas.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

WTF?
I'm totally on topic.

Maybe we should talk about these honorable 'hackers' who's DDOS attacks shut down PSN last week.
I guess the 'rights' of one little hacker to use his PS3 take precedent over the 'rights' of tens of millions of others trying to use their PS3.

Pretty sure that moronic stunt cancelled out the 'Mountains of bad PR' that Sony suffered in going after Hotz.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Miir, trying to deny this was a PR nightmare for them is absurd. People aren't too fond of major corporations right now, if you hadn't noticed. I was actually talking to my dad about this Sony situation the other day, he know damn near nothing about video games and hacking, but when I explained to him what anonymous did, his response was "good".
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hotz must permanently refrain from hacking, reverse engineering, disassembling, bypassing, disabling, circumventing (you get the idea) any Sony product or any portion of a Sony product. If Hotz should do any of the above or help anyone in a similar endeavor, he must pay a $10,000 fine per violation with a cap of $250,000.
The CAP on violations for Hotz is 250K (Sony Only products). he could get that in a day donations with a good hack.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did just that. This gives him permission to hack for 250K.

Either way, jailbreaking iOS is legal and so will jailbreaking PS3s be as well eventually if a lawsuit ever goes to court.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

So what evidence does anyone have that this has been a 'PR Nightmare' for Sony?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:So what evidence does anyone have that this has been a 'PR Nightmare' for Sony?

Even on this thread you have non hackers stating that it's impacted their view on Sony.

Sony...famous for installing root kits!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I just asked 5 gamers that work around me if they heard what happened with Geohot and Sony.

Their response: Who?
My: The dude who posted how-to videos on how to hack the PS3
Them: Who cares
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:I just asked 5 gamers that work around me if they heard what happened with Geohot and Sony.

My: The dude who posted how-to videos on how to hack the PS3
Them: Who cares

You live in Canada which has all those oddball media restrictions. Who knows what news you have access to. That could impact the awareness of your cannuck subjects.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:Maybe we should talk about these honorable 'hackers' who's DDOS attacks shut down PSN last week.
I guess the 'rights' of one little hacker to use his PS3 take precedent over the 'rights' of tens of millions of others trying to use their PS3.

Pretty sure that moronic stunt cancelled out the 'Mountains of bad PR' that Sony suffered in going after Hotz.
geohot isn't related to Anonymous so I don't see how that is really relevant. Especially considering Anonymous has gone after numerous people/organizations before for totally different reasons.

And really the fact that they did do something answers your other question:
So what evidence does anyone have that this has been a 'PR Nightmare' for Sony?
I'm not saying I support what they did but I doubt they would have done anything if not for the 'bad PR' that Sony caused with their gestapo tactics.

You can agree with Sony all you want (and really when do you disagree with anything Sony does?) but that doesn't mean a lot of other people didn't see it as going too far. Contrary to what your 5-person poll seemed to indicate. Other than the fact that they are clueless about current events.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

More Sony thug tactics. Keep fighting the good fight guys!
This morning Sony showed up at Graf_Chokolo's house and took his equipment yet again. The mega electronics giant is trying to make him stop his OtherOS project, which he had been posting all the source code to on this website.
Because getting linux running on a PS3 is obviously such a huge gateway to piracy.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Sure... that's all he was working on. :roll:

I guess he probably should have stopped posting his code on his public website when Sony asked him to.
Sony doesn't give a shit if someone hacks their own PS3 and shares his code with his friends... but posting it on a public website/blog is just fucking stupid.

This kid is just a sociopathic attention-whore.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:Sure... that's all he was working on. :roll:
And you know it wasn't because...?
miir wrote:I guess he probably should have stopped posting his code on his public website when Sony asked him to.
Sony doesn't give a shit if someone hacks their own PS3 and shares his code with his friends... but posting it on a public website/blog is just fucking stupid.

This kid is just a sociopathic attention-whore.
Yeah.. He shouldn't have been wearing that dress, obviously. Always blaming the victim.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote: This kid is just a sociopathic attention-whore.
I know in the socialized environment of Canada that people are not encouraged to stand out, but Hotz did nothing wrong and he IS a kid/teenager. Why not have fun with it. After all, he does eventually need a job and the more exposure he gets, the easier it will be to write a book or get a job somewhere.

He doesn't need a degree. His accomplishments speak for him. He's an expert hacker. What's he's done is already worth writing a book about or possibly eventual movie.

Jealous much?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I believe miir is referring to graf, in response to my post, and not geohot.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ah, my bad.

As long as miir's ok with Geohot making gangster raps calling out Sony about jailbreaking, we're good!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

who?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:who?
Perhaps try reading the post you were responding to? I assumed that's what you were doing. Obviously I was wrong.
This morning Sony showed up at Graf_Chokolo's house and took his equipment yet again. The mega electronics giant is trying to make him stop his OtherOS project, which he had been posting all the source code to on this website.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You don't know who he is yet you don't waste time calling him a "sociopathic-attention-whore". Takes one to know one I imagine.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

You're really not getting it, huh?
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

:vv_ninja:
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Good news for people still on 3.55 or some sort of CFW (I think):
Sony faced a setback in its campaign to control what software can run on its PlayStation 3 after hackers published one of the cryptographic keys that forms the core of the security scheme locking down the game console.

The so-called LV0 key, released by a crew calling itself "The Three Musketeers," grants access to the one of the most sensitive parts of the PS3. Its availability should make it easier for hackers and modders to work around restrictions Sony places on the console. The key can be used to decrypt future security updates Sony issues for the console and to incorporate those changes into custom firmware packages not authorized by the Japanese company. Sony has long discouraged the use of custom firmware by, among other things, blocking consoles that use them from connecting to the PlayStation Network.

The Three Musketeers said they discovered the LV0 key some time ago and only published it after a separate hacking group was using the code to build and sell its own custom firmware called BlueDiskCFW. Their post appears to be available here.

"You can be sure that if it wouldn’t have been for this leak, this key would never have seen the light of day," the group wrote in a note accompanying the key, according to a post published on Tuesday to PlayStationLifeStyle.net. "Only the fear of our work being used by others to make money out of it has forced us to release this now."

Release of the key is only the latest attack on a security regimen that many PS3 users took as an affront to what they argued is their right to use the console as they saw fit. Early efforts to seize control from Sony included PSJailbreak, which was a USB stick that allowed games to be fully installed to, and played from, the system's included hard drive. In late 2010, a group calling itself fail0verflow described ways work through the PS3's various security levels, which include a chain of trust, a hypervisor, and signed executables. The group ultimately located the ECDSA signature, a private cryptographic key the console uses to authorize high-level operations.

Working independently of the group, hacker George Hotz soon matched the fail0verflow feat by discovering and publicly releasing the metldr keys that could be used to trick the system into running unauthorized programs. Sony sued the New Jersey-based Hotz over the disclosure, but eventually agreed to drop the controversial lawsuit in exchange for promises he would curtail all future attempts to unlock the game console.

It remains unclear just how damaging the key's release will be to Sony's attempts to stop the running of pirated games and other types of unauthorized software on the PS3. Nate Lawson, a cryptographer and the principal of the Root Labs security consultancy, said the disclosure represents a setback for Sony in its attempt to control what end users can and can't do with the console.

"They're going to have to depend on obfuscation as their primary security measure to keep people from decrypting their updates," he told Ars. "It's a cat-and-mouse game that's now more closely in the favor of the attackers. But Sony has plenty of things they can still do. It's just another link in the chain."

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I decided to risk a case of crab hands and dusted off the PS3 and updated my hacks so I could try out the Ni No Kuni game that was getting some chatter on VV.

I spent last night updating to CFW Rogero 4.30 v2.05. It's been about a year and a half since I used my PS3 I think.

Still had Filezilla all set up (transferred over to Win 8 just fine!) with my PS3's FTP info.

CFW update was as easy as downloading it and slapping it on a USB and doing a manual firmware update. I already had CFQ 3.55 so didn't have to do anything special.

I found and downloaded the latest Multiman 4.18 xx and updated that.

Grabbed:

Ni No Kuni
Dead or Alive 5 (still looking for costume DLC hacks)
IdolMaster 2

off newsgroups. All worked perfectly (slight known freezing issue with Ni No Kuni if using internal HD instead of external)

I didn't realize that you can access PSN even with CFW (at least with latest version of 4.30 which is 2.05) so I'm downloading the Dust Beta from Sony's Store to try that out since it ties in with EVE which I've invested a ton of time on lately. I did have to move my exdata folder, delete it, and then have PSN recreate it (then move the saved game folder back into it) in order to download Dust (or any other PSN game/demo) but that was pretty easy too as long as you have good google search skills.

Overall, my original George Foreman grill that plays PS2 games is still working fine.

Multiman is a great program and that Showtime video add-on seems like it would be great for someone that wanted to use it to watch videos.

6 years later, both original 360 and PS3 still hacked. Idolmaster sure looks like it would be cool if it wasn't only in Japanese. You manage JPOP idols, form a group and take them to the top, improving talents, etc. A combo RPG/Guitar Hero type game. Who wouldn't want a game like that in the US????? This is one tiny area where hacked PS3 > Hacked 360 since you can try out Japanese games that you wouldn't be buying (unless you understand the language) but still fun to at least try out.

Anyway, not sure if anyone else here besides Aslanna hacks their PS3 but until PS4/Orbis comes out ~November, things are looking good for hacks. I'll see if I can manage to ban my PSN account by then playing online.