Looking for some tech help from you know it all peoplel....

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

dalur
Gets Around
Gets Around

Looking for some tech help from you know it all peoplel....

Post by dalur »

Well I finally managed to get the 2nd computer up and running, and got the 2nd phone line through the wall and attached.

Here is the problem. With my current ISP, they don't allow you to sign multiple computers into the same dial up account. So I need to figure out how to run both computer through the same dial up modem connection to avoid that problem.

Where can I find that information that I (as a semi computer illerate person) can figure out without pulling my hair out and asking 20 million questions on this board.

Thanks
Dalur Stouthealer
60th Dwarven High Priest
Fallanthas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fallanthas »

1. Make sure both comps have a NIC card

2. Buy a crossover cable ( will run you about eight bucks ) Connect the two NIC cards with the crossover cable.

3. Assing both machines addresses in the same subnet. I.E. 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2

4. On the machine hosting the connection, make sure you right click the connection under Network Neighborhood---Properties and choose to share the connection.

5. On the machine NOT hosting the connection, put in the address of the hosting machine as a gateway (you should see the gateway field immediately under the address field in the TCP/IP window)

That's it.

I talk geek way too much, so ask for clarification on any of this. I'm bad about skipping detail assuming folks know where we are going.
dalur
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by dalur »

How do you do the assigning?

Or do you let windows handle that?

*also* where do I NIC cards? and do I have to have certain kinds to handle my machines?

The host computer is a 1.3 K6 running Windows ME - while the other computer is a PII 350 running Win 98.
Dalur Stouthealer
60th Dwarven High Priest
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

any kind of cheap Network card will do. (NIC = Network Interface Card)

I go with LInksys Etherlink cards, which run about $15.

as for how to assign the IP address :

Start->

Control Panels ->

Network

one of the tabs will list a bunch of the network protocols your machine is running.

RIght click on the one that says "TCP/IP on Linksys Etherwhatever your card name is" and select Properties.

From the TCP/IP tab on the resulting window you can assign an IP address.

you can't just pick any 4 numbers under the planet though.

They have to be what are called reserved IP addresses.

Just use:

10.0.0.1 for your first computer
and
10.0.0.2 for your secnod.

for the part that says subnet, just use 255.255.255.0 on both.

If you have Windows ME or similar, you have to enable Internet Connection Sharing.

this site may be useful:
http://www.eng.yale.edu/it/howto/homenet.htm
dalur
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by dalur »

Thanks Voro & others

I knew I could count on yas to point me in the right direction.

*edit*

1 last question - do I have to have any special software or something?

Do I just buy the network card (I only need 1 as 1 came with my computer when I purchased it - the K6) - install the software that comes with it, hook up a cable, do the IP sharing stuff and I'm set to go?
Dalur Stouthealer
60th Dwarven High Priest
Fallanthas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fallanthas »

You shouldn't need any software, Dalur. make sure the newer machine is the one that actually hosts the connection to your ISP and it should work fine.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

Best Buy has some good Linksys NICs on sale for $15 after a $10 rebate. I picked one up for my Father-in-law last night. don't know if there is one of those near you or not.
dalur
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by dalur »

OK Sweet - thanks OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS for all the info. There is a a best buy about a mile from my house so that won't be a problem.

Just wasn't sure of all I needed to get it up and running.

Hate getting those messages from my ISP - Attention customer - we found that you were trying to access said account from 2 different logins and have thereby disconnected you from both yadda yadda yadda.

From the best buy link here, which card would you pick?

http://www.bestbuy.com/ComputersPeriphe ... &scat=1576

I am assuming I just need either the first or 2nd linksys one on the list?
Dalur Stouthealer
60th Dwarven High Priest
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

Linksys LNE100tx

Orange and blue box.

you'll be good to go. i've been using their cards for awhile with all kinds of different operating systems, so i love them. they work and they are cheap. good combination.