Everything - File Search

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Everything - File Search

Post by Winnow »

This app is amazing. I never use windows search because it's annoying and slow. I don't index my files.

https://www.voidtools.com/

So while watching AI videos someone recommended Everything as a file indexer. Holy shit.

0. It's free
1. you can download it as portable and not have to install it.
2. it stores the db file (database locally in the same folder as the everything .exe
3. It is holy fuck level fast.

So here's my experience. I downloaded it. I opened it (allowed it to index NFTS drives as I have both NFTS and exFAT formatted drives.

30 seconds...yes 30 seconds later, it had indexed 15 hard drives and ~9,000,000 files. The db file is 384mb for those 9 million files. I'm guessing most people don't have anywhere near that number of files so anyone can use this.

Lightening quick searches. I've never bothered with indexing but this is ridiculously good, fast with a tiny footprint and you don't even need to keep it open all the time. I can't believe it can cut through 9 million files like butter.

Do not use window indexing. Try this. It's amazing. It has some advanced search features as well.

I freaking love non bloated apps. I thought indexing that many files would take forever and be slow as hell to search but the entire "everything" is on one window, I can scroll top to bottom of those 9 million files in a second. I'm only indexing the file names, not the file content but it has that capability.

I'm impressed. Adding it to my list of favorite utility apps like Bulk File Renamer (batch file renamer) and FreeCommander (best File Manager)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Everything - File Search

Post by Aslanna »

It is alright. But super limiting unless all you care about is filenames. I’d really like to search content which I think it can do but is superslow.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: December 12, 2023, 9:19 pm It is alright. But super limiting unless all you care about is filenames. I’d really like to search content which I think it can do but is superslow.
Ah, I don't search file content. For file names searching it's great. I don't keep it open all the time. I load it up when I need to find something I can't find quickly with normal file manager. If you don't load it all the time you just need to wait a minute or so for it to update the latest files. It's useful for that purpose. I like it because it's stand alone and self contained file you can store the db file where you want so no Microsoft snooping etc.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Content search would be great as long as you can exclude (or include) certain directories. Filenames are fine but for me it’s limiting. Regardless it is better than the search in Windows Explorer which is terrible in all aspects.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: December 15, 2023, 8:20 pm Content search would be great as long as you can exclude (or include) certain directories. Filenames are fine but for me it’s limiting. Regardless it is better than the search in Windows Explorer which is terrible in all aspects.
There's pretty extensive forums for that app. I was pretty sure you could include/exclude directories.

might find answer here:

https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtop ... ers#p40133

I think specifically for content indexing you can include/exclude folders so maybe can find a way to only index content for certain folders

There is a specific menu setting tab for content. The image on that pages says "Content is stored in memory" so not sure how useful that would be if you have a ton of documents even though text doesn't take much room. 1000's of text files (stories etc don't take that much space)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I didn't mean content search for Everything. I mean in general. Having an application for that could be nice. I'm sure those exist but I haven't looked into that since I am lazy.

--