Windows 11 and RTX 3080ti

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Windows 11 and RTX 3080ti

Post by Winnow »

I updated my system to Windows 11 beta yesterday. It became available to everyone (if select insider option in updates) on July 29th I think.

Overall looks an feels great with zero issues so far. Here are some observations:

- Update Install takes about as long as installing a new OS from scratch.

- Everything worked and was where I last left it before the update. The only app I needed to reinstall was my VPN.

- I like the UI. It's pretty slick. Probably most visual noticeable things are the rounded corners. Made some of my older apps look slightly nicer.

- Feels very smooth. Note, I picked up an RTX 3080ti a couple weeks ago so everything really should feel smooth and snappy but It feels extremely stable and smooth when navigating through windows, your apps, etc.

- In order to update to the beta you need to select "Optional Diagnostic Data". I did and then turned it right off after updating.

- task bar has to be on bottom of screen, either centered or bottom left side. I've always placed my task bar vertically on left side so thought it might be annoying. It's not.

No need to update until the official release but with the back-end changes (and eventually running Android apps natively in Windows 11 instead of using an emulator) and the UI updates, I don't think the cancel culture people will find much to complain about with this.

------

I purchased the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming. It's a slightly pre-overclocked version of the RTX-3080 ti. I was running an RTX 2070 previously. Along with my still pretty new AMD Ryzen 9 3950X, as expected, all benchmarks are destroyed. I game in 4K and so it helped get my FPS to the ludicrous levels you'd expect where the 2070 ti struggled for 30-60 fps in some 4K games.

Prices are ridiculous for GPUs and CPUs. I checked my AMD processor that I overpaid for at launch (coming up on 2 years ago!) and it's still selling for way over suggested retail on Amazon for close to $1200. There was a point where it dropped to retail price but that didn't last long.

With regards to my last PC that's built around the 16 core AMD CPU, it's still the most stable, best build I've ever made. I run 3x4K 55" monitors. I run multiple emulators (mostly android) stream or play 4K videos on the side monitors while gaming at full FPS ultra settings on the center screen with a very quiet/cool PC. It may be overkill for some, but man is it nice to not have to think about it and have it all just work fast. The HUGE Noctua NH-D15S CPU air cooler is dead silent and when I'm not gaming sometimes the 3080 ti fans are completely turned off when using lower demanding apps.

------

Recap: Windows 11 isn't anything to complain about. When the time comes, be patient with the update. It's a long one. I'm sure many newb users will brick their PCs turning it off in the middle. It appears to have kept all my privacy settings etc so you don't have to go back through and do all that. It's early, but so far my emulators and apps seem to be running faster/smoother but at the very minimum no slowdown.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Windows 11 and RTX 3080ti

Post by Aslanna »

I'll be passing on Windows 11 until October 2025 when it will basically be forced on you if you want a supported OS. Zero reason to "upgrade" from Windows 10 before then. Zero!

Didn't Microsoft say Windows 10 would be the last version of Windows? Bunch of liars.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: August 1, 2021, 6:38 pm I'll be passing on Windows 11 until October 2025 when it will basically be forced on you if you want a supported OS. Zero reason to "upgrade" from Windows 10 before then. Zero!

Didn't Microsoft say Windows 10 would be the last version of Windows? Bunch of liars.
Seems to run smoother to me. That's reason enough. Whether they called it Windows 10 or Windows 11, it's still just a free update. I agree there's no rush, but seems pretty dumb reason not to do an update because of the name. If they renamed Window 10 to Vista would you update? eww yuck, Vista!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

"Seems to run smoother" isn't a very compelling reason for me as that sounds more like a feeling than actual facts. My computer does what I want it to do so why the rush?

It does what I want for the most part anyway. After the way Microsoft royally screwed my PC up with the last update, so badly that I had to do a restore, I don't trust them with a whole version number increase.

I never understood the whole "upgradeitis" that people have where they need to run out and get the latest thing. Especially as this latest thing isn't even released yet other than to those who want to be a guinea pig for Microsoft. That sounds like a pretty smart reason to me.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: August 3, 2021, 2:28 pm My computer does what I want it to do so why the rush?
I agree there's no rush
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

All I see is quotes. Did you forget to push the keyboard buttons?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

You asked why the rush, I had already commented about that earlier. No need for maximum effort on that reply.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You sure did.. In your own passive-aggressive way.

--
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Can we see a pic of the tri 55" monitor setup? curious how that much real estate fits around a desktop.. sounds awesome.
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sounds like Win 12 is on the way sooner rather than later so no reason not to wait and just skip Win11. Unless Win12 ends up being even worse than Win11.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: December 15, 2023, 8:25 pm Sounds like Win 12 is on the way sooner rather than later so no reason not to wait and just skip Win11. Unless Win12 ends up being even worse than Win11.
Whatever works. I didn't find a compelling reason not to update to windows 11 and I set my windows updates to delay max 5 weeks so they don't bug me. I don't use Edge or anything else Microsoft related. Oh I do use the snipping tool sometimes! My sytem never crashes and runs smooth although if there were memory leaks I probably wouldn't know about it now that i have 128gb of ram!

Regardless of OS you're using, some AI can crash your system if you overload the VRAM. Some of the python apps dont have safety measures for that and will simply crash your system if you use more than the VRAM you have but most offload it to system ram or at least don't crash your system now and only the app crashes.

I understand the "not wanting to mess up something that's working". I understand even waiting a year to let the bugs work themselves out. I think the only issue I had was a minor one with my third party file manager when I originally updated.

I don't update to the release candidates for Automatic1111. They can break extensions etc. so I usually wait a few days and read the reddit. I'm still pissed the crop tool for img2img broke with v1.6. They blame it on the Gradio team (user interface) but if I had known I would have stuck with 1.5 for a little longer. It's still broke but might be fixed in 1.7 although the patch notes are unclear. I loved that cropping tool.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

3080tivs3090.png
I almost bought a 4090 today but then thought better of it. I really want that extra VRAM but I can wait until after the holidays and maybe CES just incase to see if nvidia has any announcements on future cards. While checking prices on Amazon I saw someone posted a comparison between their 3080ti and 4090. Jesus, that's a HUGE card.

I have a very large case so it would fit but if you don't have a large case, I'd start measuring!

Man I thought the 3080ti was big.

My system is also quiet even when my GPU is maxed. I have the FTW EVGA, think same as Aslanna. Apparently that Zotac 4090 is loud. I'd guess all 4090's are louder than 3080ti but maybe can find a semi quiet one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

RIP EVGA.

I've always, at least since going Nvidia, bought EVGA for my graphics card. No clue who I'll go with now. But I have a couple years before I have to think about that since I won't be upgrading anytime soon.

It does seem nice that Intel hasn't killed their graphics cards yet and have been working on improving the drivers. Not that I would choose them at this time but more competition never hurts. Sadly though I don't think Nvidia cares all that much about the desktop owner now that they are selling all their shit to the AI market.

--