The Witcher (Netflix)

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The Witcher (Netflix)

Post by Aslanna »

I have a few more episodes to watch but so far it seems alright. I don't have a problem with the acting and the settings for the most part have been fine.

However is it just me is there like no backstory at all in this? Or is there? It starts with two places going to war and I don't know who either of those places are or why I should care. Game of Thrones had a lot of characters but they were introduced in such a way that you know who they were and if you liked them or not.

I haven't been this confused watching a show in awhile and I'm not sure if it's because I don't know anything about Witcher (haven't gotten around to playing the games yet) or they have just done a bad job setting things up. It wasn't until the 5th episode where I'm like.. "Oh.. I thought that person died.. Is that the same person? How come that other person has a different name? Uh, wait, so this is in the past.. I think? I thought the Bard guy was new but if this is in the past does that mean the other story where he met the bard was also in the past?" I have so many questions!

Definitely a show I'll need to read a plot summary on and then watch a second time.
[Show]
Probably not a spoiler per-se but, after reading a few different articles on this, there are 3 different timelines going on at once.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: The Witcher (Netflix)

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'm about in the same spot, 2-3 more episodes left to watch. Geralt meeting up with Ciri is and her story moving forward from there is where I think the story will go eventually, until then it's just kinda a series of stories about Geralt to establish what a Witcher is, so a lot of it is not necessarily consequential to the overarching story. I haven't read the books and the games aren't fresh in my memory, so I could be wrong on part or all of that.

I'm liking it so far, a bit slow at points but that's pretty typical for this type of show I think, so I'm not judging it too harshly based on that.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

No excuse for not playing Witcher 3. It's 11.99 on Steam right now and one of the best story RPGs ever made. I wouldn't necessarily recommend playing Witcher 1 and 2. They were good but dated and wonky controls, etc.

Geralt, Ciri, Yennifer and Triss are the main characters. The bard is in the games as well. Triss is the character that didn't get much attention in season 1.

I thought Superman did a pretty good job of playing the Witcher.

Entertaining but lame ending to the first season. I can imagine season 2 being better.

Ciri may have portaled into Cyperpunk 2077 in Witcher 3 but there will be no crossovers and I think it was just for fun.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:No excuse for not playing Witcher 3. It's 11.99 on Steam right now and one of the best story RPGs ever made.
Sure there is... No time to do so. I already own it so the cost isn't the issue.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You can find a handy timeline for Season 1 here: https://www.reddit.com/r/netflixwitcher ... _timeline/

I was going to paste the image but it's too big and I don't know how to resize it.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Netflix also put together a map and timeline that isn't bad for newcomers to the Witcher. When you select a point on the timeline don't forget to click that event/person and a pane on the left opens to give more info. It wasn't initially obvious to me that was the case.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

You're putting a lot of input into this series without having played the game! Witcher 3 is one of the all time great story driven games. Even side story quests are very fleshed out. You should put some other games on the back burner and play it! Witcher 3 specifically will prepare you for season 2 of the show. Skip 1/2, not that they're bad, just very dated UI/Gameplay-wise.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

No Emmy nominations!
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It was a decent show but I'm not sure it was Emmy worthy. Unless there is an award for most confusing unexplained timeline.

Perhaps Watchmen had a category or two they could have tossed to their Witcher.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote: July 31, 2020, 5:53 pm It was a decent show but I'm not sure it was Emmy worthy. Unless there is an award for most confusing unexplained timeline.

Perhaps Watchmen had a category or two they could have tossed to their Witcher.
/agree. It was good, but it wasn't groundbreaking.
Gaklek
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Gaklek »

The show was made for fans that have read the books and also have played the games, just separately imo. I did not like the changing timelines that were never explained, but I knew what was going on being both a reader and a player. If I was ignorant of one or both I would have been very confused I think. Winnow is right is his critique of Witcher 3, it's worth the time investment even if you have zero clue of the history of the story. It might be the best game ever made if you enjoy being immersed in a fantasy world.

The first season I have watched 3 times now, and each time I see more and more. I think the second season will be much better(no more time jumps without an explanation)..and it's already renewed for a 3rd season.

I hope Asl makes some time for both.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

To be honest I am not sure I have time for RPGs in my life these days. I'm sure it's a great game but there's only so much time in a day.

This is why I give zero shits about Gamepass. Sure you have ~600 games.. But I do not have time to play the games I DO own much less all those others. I buy a limited amount of games these days, typically physical unless there's a really good deal on the digital version, and barely have time to get to those. I still haven't even started on the new Ratchet & Clank yet despite getting it Day 1.

Having said that, I am of course looking forward to Season 2 of The Witcher. I did watch S1 twice, which is rare for me to rewatch a season of TV, and will probably watch it once more before S2 starts just to get caught back up on things. I do wish they would have handled S1 a bit better though in regards to the 3 timelines at once thing but it is what it is.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: June 23, 2021, 7:46 pm I still haven't even started on the new Ratchet & Clank yet despite getting it Day 1.
Witcher 3 >>>> Ratchet & Clank
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Season 2 Trailer

December 17th!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Looks good. I'm not a fan of playing a modern song during the trailer fight scene.

Geralt, Yennefer, Ciri and Triss Merigold are great characters. Hopefully Triss and more grown up Ciri get to shine more this season. I like Henry Cavill's dedication to the role.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I still haven't watched Season 3 but may get around to it someday.

And with Henry gone I probably won't bother with any other seasons that may come along.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

After seeing how the whole situation played out with that show, the writing, etc. I didn't watch season 3 or the spinoff they did - no thanks.