Creatine?

Forum for kung fu, and grappling, and dolphins, and street fights, and body building, and.....

Moderator: The Kwon

Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Creatine?

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

So, my entire life I have been unable to gain weight. I am 5'10 and the last time I tried to bulk up I managed to go from 135 lbs to 145 lbs after about a year of working out 4 days a week, taking protein supplements, and eating a diet designed for me by a bodybuilder friend (not in contact with him anymore).

Over the past 6 months or so I have went from 130 lbs to 150 lbs without working out, and no real increase in my food intake. It seems my metabolism has finally slowed down a little bit.

Now, I am very interested in getting back into working out. If my metabolism is slowing, I want to be able to control my weight gain. I do not want to get fat, but I would love to get up to like 170-180 lbs by increasing muscle.

I have read up a lot on creatine recently, and I can't find any proven negative side effects, but I would like to hear opinions on how effective it is. Also, should I bother with loading, or should I just take an even amount every day? I have heard praise of both methods, and wonder if body type or other factors could contribute to one being better than the other, or if there really is little difference. I know that I want to cycle, because it could POSSIBLY have negative effects on my kidneys, and if it does, that could help lessen the effects.

Anyway, any information on creatine, including what supplements go well with it, would be appreciated.
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Creatine?

Post by Tegellan »

Creatine doesn't make you bigger, it helps your muscles recuperate faster and it can give you a little extra strength. For me it always worked best when I reached plateaus where I didn't really improve, then it could add that little extra boost. But if you want to get bigger, there is no other option than proteine shakes and a good diet. Creatine alone won't do diddly for you I am afraid
Fortune favors the brave!
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Tegellan wrote:Creatine doesn't make you bigger, it helps your muscles recuperate faster and it can give you a little extra strength. For me it always worked best when I reached plateaus where I didn't really improve, then it could add that little extra boost. But if you want to get bigger, there is no other option than proteine shakes and a good diet. Creatine alone won't do diddly for you I am afraid
Yeah, I understand that. I've had great results with it so far. It actually does make you bigger, but only temporarily. Once you stop taking it, that size goes away. That is from it causing your muscles to store more water, as it is needed for the reaction to convert creatine (or creatinine) into ATP.

The real size gains are from the extra reps you are able to do while using it. That extra push can cause some big jumps. I'm up to 155 lbs, 6% body fat, and benching 70 lbs per arm on dumbells. Not sure what my bar is at now, as I haven't even attempted to max out in some time, but 3 sets of 10 at 170 is getting easy. Time to move up another 10.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

How's your swole goin, bro? I've been lifting pretty heavy myself. Feels great.

For Broseidon himself didst squat the iron from the earth, that we may seek gainz in Brodin's name.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Leonaerd wrote:How's your swole goin, bro? I've been lifting pretty heavy myself. Feels great.

For Broseidon himself didst squat the iron from the earth, that we may seek gainz in Brodin's name.
I fail. I stopped working out for the most part shortly after this. Life got hectic, and I couldn't find the time to regularly get to the gym.

Down to 140 lbs now :(

I want to get back into it, and recently bought a bench and some free weights for my bedroom. I'm trying to do a bit there when I can, until I can push myself back into the gym a few days a week.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

The iron temple awaits with a swole embrace, and you shall worship once more. Wheymen.
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

Are you all still worshipping at the iron temple?
Fortune favors the brave!