Death Stranding

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Death Stranding

Post by Funkmasterr »

This game definitely isn't going to be for everyone, but I'm loving it for now.

Part of it could be that I'm really into backpacking/mountaineering, and the idea of balancing your pack weight and planning your route through unfamiliar (but good looking!) wilderness and all the other little systems that go with that interests me. Then you set out and it's relaxing at times, tense at others, but it just works.

Of course it's Kojima so the story is convoluted and weird, but it's at least interesting. I'm not really far in, so we'll see how I feel 50 hours from now.

The social aspect of the game is actually kinda cool too.

It also doesn't hurt that I'm recovering from surgery and have several days of not being able to move much, and this game is definitely filling the time.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Death Stranding

Post by Aslanna »

This game is 100% not for me. Games that need 10-20 hours to get going? No thanks.

I've never played a Kojima game.. Death Stranding isn't doing anything to convince me to start.

I'm glad it's out there though.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah I think that if nothing else, it's good that a game like this was made with the budget and everything it has behind it. Everything is so formulaic and fucking boring nowadays that it will at least strike up some conversations, and might end up moving the industry a bit.

I've always tried to get into the Metal Gear games but never really could, so I'm by no means a Kojima fan, but it worked out this time.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Don't know much about it beyond the trailer from a few years ago and a few minutes of game play. Too weird for me. I won't write it off completely because it looks to have great graphics and is polished but at best it would be a bargain bin PC choice down the road for me if anything.

Before even playing it, I'm kind of sick of seeing that guy's face. He was super popular at the time he was chosen for the role due to Walking Dead. I can't picture him as anything else than the redneck motorcycle guy. No offense to the actor, I'm just tired of seeing his face and with the high level face mapping in this game, it looks exactly like him.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It uses the Decima engine, same as in Horizon Zero Dawn (but probably updated in the past 5 years), so that helps it look good. It's still kind of weird to me that a Sony first party studio gave out their engine like that, especially since it's a game that is going to end up on PC, but that's the kind of pull Kojima has.

The online social aspect stuff sounds cool but I can't imagine how well that works in a couple years when hardly anyone is playing it.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:It uses the Decima engine, same as in Horizon Zero Dawn (but probably updated in the past 5 years), so that helps it look good. It's still kind of weird to me that a Sony first party studio gave out their engine like that, especially since it's a game that is going to end up on PC, but that's the kind of pull Kojima has.

The online social aspect stuff sounds cool but I can't imagine how well that works in a couple years when hardly anyone is playing it.
The online stuff won't change once those people aren't playing it. Once someone has put up a structure/sign/whatever for other people it's there. And quite frankly once a couple of years have gone by, new stuff being added won't really be a concern either because everything should be taken care of by then. People that start playing in a few years (assuming there aren't others starting around the same time as them) won't experience things being built up like people are now, and that is somewhat of a bummer but still not a major detractor.

I don't remember HZD, and I stopped playing it after a few hours... But this game looks really good. The draw distance has been one thing that has definitely impressed me. I saw a big ass waterfall from a long way off last night and had another one of those moments where I just stop and stare a bit.

I'm still loving it. I haven't got into a game like this in a while, and I never would've expected this to be the game that put its hooks in me again.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:The online stuff won't change once those people aren't playing it. Once someone has put up a structure/sign/whatever for other people it's there.
From what I heard they degrade over time due to the rain. People who built stuff started getting messages about it like 40 hours in. I guess you'll find out if that's true or not as you keep playing.
Funkmasterr wrote:I don't remember HZD, and I stopped playing it after a few hours...
Boo this man!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If I recall right, technically HZD was OK, game play, UI etc, but the story was a bit goofy and there was something wrong with the lead characters facial expressions or something during cut scenes. It was lacking that "something special" that would make you look forward to a sequel.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:The online stuff won't change once those people aren't playing it. Once someone has put up a structure/sign/whatever for other people it's there.
From what I heard they degrade over time due to the rain. People who built stuff started getting messages about it like 40 hours in. I guess you'll find out if that's true or not as you keep playing.
Funkmasterr wrote:I don't remember HZD, and I stopped playing it after a few hours...
Boo this man!

True, rain will break them down over time, I forgot about that. Absolutely nothing wrong with HZD - I know it was a great game, just open world games like that aren't really my thing anymore. :)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Got the platinum! A few of the trophies were pretty grindy, but I really enjoyed my time with it so it didn't feel like a chore. It's been a while since I bothered to go for a platinum. Overall the only gripe that I have that started to nag at me was that there are a lot of cut scenes/animations that you see over and over that I'd really like to be able to skip (or really to turn off entirely).
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Nice. Platinums are key! I'll probably pick it up when it's $20 or so. I have a lot of things to do so no real time for it anyway.

--