Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Bohemian Rhapsody

Post by Winnow »

This is a good movie.

Rami Malek does a great job portraying the lead singer of Queen, Freddie Mercury, I personally think Rami looks more like Mick Jagger in the early years scenes but I was able to put that aside and enjoy the movie. If any of you have seen the TV series Mr Robot, you know who Rami Malek is. If you haven't, you really should watch Mr. Robot.

Early prediction: Rami Malek takes home the Oscar for best actor this year.

Rami is Egyptian, Freddy was from Pakistan so they have the middle east thing going on at least. Rami had to wear false teeth to accurately show the extra 4 teeth Freddie Mercury had, giving him a pronounced overbite. Freddy Mercury self described himself as gay as a daffodil so if you're insecure with that kind of stuff you can skip it!

Give it a watch when the opportunity arises.

To prepare, you can watch what has been described as the greatest live performance of all time, 20 minutes of Queen at Live Aid:

https://youtu.be/ktYlzVYQbwY

1985! The year I graduated from high school!

This is recreated quite well in the movie! After his initial piano performance, Mercury totally captivates the crown with his performance.

Edit: trivia, Queen had two of the greatest sports anthems of all time back to back on the same album: We Will Rock You and We are the Champions...Another one Bites the Dust is also a contender.

trivia 2: Mercury was advised by his doctor not to perform at Live Aid due to a throat infection...worked out ok in the end!