Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

The Dark Tower ***EMOTE SPOILER DO NOT OPEN WARNING***

Post by Canelek »

[Show]
FUCK YOU SONY YOU MISERABLE PIECE OF SHIT YOU DESTROYED EVERYTHING BY TURNING A SWEEPING EPIC MASTERPIECE INTO A YA MOVIE
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: The Dark Tower ***EMOTE SPOILER DO NOT OPEN WARNING***

Post by Aslanna »

I opened it!

If it sucks maybe blame the director and producers!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I don't know, I went into it with extremely checked expectations based on the articles I'd read, and I don't hate it. While they didn't stick to the story the books tell, everything they did is plausible within the framework that King set up. Roland retaining some info and deciding to stop pursuing the tower, the Manni (spelling?) village they went to - the Manni were known to use portals so this is fine too, Taheen serving Walter is too - I mean where was he and what was he doing with all his time when he wasn't the focal point in the books (which was almost all of it).

Basically they were really testing the waters on this one, but I think to that point; being longer would've helped considerably for both fans and newcomers. They've already said that the TV show that covers Wizard & Glass is going to be a much more direct adaption, and that if they get the green light to go forward with this as a franchise, that they would be much more able to get back closer to the story we're familiar with.

I'm just worried it won't do well enough that they go all in on it. If they do though, I think this could still end up being something great.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I had super-low expectations as well, but what was on screen was a train wreck. Studio tampering tattooed everything. Sure, they wanted to make it simple to draw in new folks, but in doing so, I believe all they achieved was portraying this property as a disjointed, dullard YA mishmash.

The only thing this mess had going for it was Idris Elba. He is amazing and I hope the planned W&G series recoups some faith, because this was a fucking disaster.

Ironically, the film grossed 19 million. 19! If only the rotten tomatoes rating could aspire to that lofty (and mystical) number.
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I guess I just don't think it was as bad as you. That being said, I don't know if it will matter - at this point I think a reasonable projection would be that they'll probably break about even on this film by the time all is said and done, and I don't know if that is going to be good enough for them to move forward with the franchise. I guess like you said, the W&G TV show could technically change that, too. Yeah, I thought the 19 Mil thing was a funny coincidence :)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

And how do you know its "studio tampering" and not just bad decisions from the creative side? I am not disagreeing, having not seen the movie or having no desire to do so, I am just trying to determine how you came to that conclusion.

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I can't say for sure, but the film kind of reeks of "too many chefs in the kitchen" due to production delays, lots of reshoots due to poor early media reception, sloppy marketing, etc. Of course, it is just speculation piled onto what I've observed. I am sure the real reasons will come out at some point.

I did find it funny when MM's man in black character kept saying things along the lines of "you resist my majicks!". Awkward!

I'm glad it worked for some though! I just saw it as wasted opportunity. The material is all there, why not assemble a cohesive story that doesn't jump back and forth with little to no motivation aside from moving the story along? The Dark Tower is a HUGE story taking place across vast swaths of land and time. The movie was claustrophobic.
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I don't know, half of me wants to see it succeed well enough for the franchise to go on in hopes that they can get it on track. The other half wants it to fail so that someone else can pick it up a year or two down the road and make it into an HBO/Netflix series, which is what it always should have been to begin with. I keep flipping between the two.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Funkmasterr wrote:I don't know, half of me wants to see it succeed well enough for the franchise to go on in hopes that they can get it on track. The other half wants it to fail so that someone else can pick it up a year or two down the road and make it into an HBO/Netflix series, which is what it always should have been to begin with. I keep flipping between the two.
Same here. The material needs to be respected enough to know that a 95 minute teen movie is not doing the source material any damn good at all. HBO man! They didn't need to worry about drawing in people with magicksgimmicks. GoT is nerdy as fuck, and has more confusing plots and characters than anything most have ever read. Worked OK, no?

All they have now is a bunch of pissed off SK nerds and a Razzie by having botched a movie with 4250 pages of lore and two of the best working actors.

So, we shall see! Buffy the Vampire Slayer was kind of a stupid movie, but they ended up making a TV series that had a huge following.
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Canelek wrote:All they have now is a bunch of pissed off SK nerds and a Razzie by having botched a movie with 4250 pages of lore and two of the best working actors.
Shadow Knight nerds are the worst!

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Aslanna wrote:
Canelek wrote:All they have now is a bunch of pissed off SK nerds and a Razzie by having botched a movie with 4250 pages of lore and two of the best working actors.
Shadow Knight nerds are the worst!
I can relate to both!
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sounds like they are moving forward with the TV series, and are going to just wipe the slate from the movie clean and follow the source material. I'm certainly not getting my hope up much at this point, but at least there's still a possibility of something better than that fucking movie.