Ellen Page's coming out speech

What do you think about the world?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Ellen Page's coming out speech

Post by Spang »

Bubba Grizz wrote:What is your definition of a homophobe? Just so we have something to guage against.
I'm not accusing anyone of being a homophobe. Fairweather thinks he's not one because he has a gay friend, etc. I don't think he's a homophobe, but not because he has a friend who happens to be gay. I do, however, think he's misguided in thinking that the LGBT struggle, that many of you couldn't care less about, is almost over.
Last edited by Spang on February 28, 2014, 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Funkmasterr wrote:Anyone that doesn't salivate like one of pavlov's dogs when they hear a zipper go down or see a cock (or female equivalent) is a total homophobe in spang's book.

yummmyyyyy!!!!! not homophobe!!!! :D :D :D
just do not tell my wife!
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Spang wrote:...the LGBT struggle, that many of you couldn't care less about, is almost over.
I don't think anyone has said they don't care about the injustices, just the opposite. Gay people are just people is the point being made. You're again deliberately confusing/combining two separate issues.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aabidano wrote:
Spang wrote:...the LGBT struggle, that many of you couldn't care less about, is almost over.
I don't think anyone has said they don't care about the injustices, just the opposite. Gay people are just people is the point being made. You're again deliberately confusing/combining two separate issues.
There's still 5 other states with anti gay laws being considered. Are there any anti black laws still out there? How do you think a law preventing black people from being served at a restaurant would go over? Probably riots.

They aren't "just people" yet until laws stop being dreamed up to suppress them.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Tyek wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:Anyone that doesn't salivate like one of pavlov's dogs when they hear a zipper go down or see a cock (or female equivalent) is a total homophobe in spang's book.

yummmyyyyy!!!!! not homophobe!!!! :D :D :D
just do not tell my wife!

:lol:

I think the One thing we can deduce from this thread: winnow LOVES the cock.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Winnow wrote:Are there any anti black laws still out there?
When I left SC there were still 'black laws' on the books, unenforced but still there for "historical purposes".
Winnow wrote:How do you think a law preventing black people from being served at a restaurant would go over? Probably riots.
Riots in LA and maybe NYC. But probably not where the law was passed as you generally don't see that sort of thing where the class or group of people you're trying to discriminate against live; the politicians trying to promote it would be thrown out at the next election.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Winnow wrote:Are there any anti black laws still out there?
Pretty much the entire United States justice system.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aabidano wrote:
Spang wrote:...the LGBT struggle, that many of you couldn't care less about...
They aren't two separate issues. Coming out is important and necessary to end the struggle, whether you're a hollywood actor from Canada or a football player from Texas. In a heterosexist society, LGBT visibility is a powerful tool.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Whether you're trying to catch fish or sell shoes you need the right bait for the occasion.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I'm running intellectual circles around you people in this thread.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

In the defense of most anybody here, it is very near impossible to take a staunch anti-carnivore seriously.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Spang wrote:I'm running intellectual circles around you people in this thread.
Yeah, we're all taking the conversation really seriously. Surprised you hadn't noticed by now that when you start in on one of your campaigns people stop giving a fuck pretty quick.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Translation: Spang is a master debater.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

That's debatable.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Spang wrote:Fox News called: they want their bigoted rhetoric back.
Yeah, I'm not a bigot, I'm a misanthrope. Nice "argument" there though.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Zaelath wrote:Yeah, I'm not a bigot, I'm a misanthrope.
You contribute to the hostile environment.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Spang wrote:
I'm just as anti the kind of mindless thug that reacts to unusual behaviour with fists as you are, but to pretend they don't exist, and that their only motivation is who's sucking what, is delusional.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Spang wrote:
You remind me of the people with the "Coexist" bumper stickers who invariably seem to drive like douchebags. "Respect my beliefs even though I've no respect for yours."
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I acknowledge your belief, but nowhere in the handbook does it say I must respect it.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I assume that's the same handbook that tells you that you should be a sanctimonious prick about... well basically everything?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Funkmasterr wrote:I assume that's the same handbook that tells you that you should be a sanctimonious prick about... well basically everything?
You're free to respect all the beliefs.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Hey Winnow, I am in lovely Phoenix with the girls I coach. We are at a college Showcase at the Reach 11 soccer complex. Beat the #21 and #10 ranked teams in Arizona. Thanks for the nice weather, not super hot and fields are amazing. Ever been to the reach 11 complex? It is very very nice.

Cool thing I got a Canadian Women National Team member to speak to the girls, which was awesome and we can win our bracket tomorrow if we beat Crescenta Valley. We are both 2-0 heading into the game. Also got lots of coaches looking at the girls, so hopefully we get some scholarships out of this. Next big trip is in July to Pleasanton.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Tyek wrote:Hey Winnow, I am in lovely Phoenix with the girls I coach. We are at a college Showcase at the Reach 11 soccer complex. Beat the #21 and #10 ranked teams in Arizona. Thanks for the nice weather, not super hot and fields are amazing. Ever been to the reach 11 complex? It is very very nice.

Cool thing I got a Canadian Women National Team member to speak to the girls, which was awesome and we can win our bracket tomorrow if we beat Crescenta Valley. We are both 2-0 heading into the game. Also got lots of coaches looking at the girls, so hopefully we get some scholarships out of this. Next big trip is in July to Pleasanton.

Nice. Good luck with the game tomorrow. This is the best time of year for weather here in the metro Phoenix area. You'll catch a little wind (23 mph) tomorrow that we normally don't have. Hope it doesn't impact the game too much. Usually the only major wind we get is during monsoon season (July-August) from around 3pm-7pm. 23 mph isn't too much but it's usually more like 5 mph. It might actually be beneficial to keep the players cool.

I haven't been to the Reach 11 Soccer Complex. Looks like that's way up north. I'm in the south valley in Chandler. Glad we don't have an water shortage issues here so the grass can be well watered. : ) I played a lot of youth soccer. (right forward and right wing mostly) It's nice to see it's still going strong. What's your usual field setup? We played 4 forwards, 3 mid, 3 backs.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

We play 4-4-2 as a base then change up as we assess the opponent. Wind won't be an issue, we usually see 40-60 mph where we live from October to May.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Tyek wrote:We play 4-4-2 as a base then change up as we assess the opponent. Wind won't be an issue, we usually see 40-60 mph where we live from October to May.
Won today 2-0 and finished first in our group. Girls got lots of attention from colleges. After the game a team from Orange County that knows us called and asked to borrow several players since they were down to 9. My girls scored the games first goal and help them to a 2-0 win, so we went 3.5 - 0 for the weekend.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Tyek wrote:We play 4-4-2 as a base then change up as we assess the opponent. Wind won't be an issue, we usually see 40-60 mph where we live from October to May.
Won today 2-0 and finished first in our group. Girls got lots of attention from colleges. After the game a team from Orange County that knows us called and asked to borrow several players since they were down to 9. My girls scored the games first goal and help them to a 2-0 win, so we went 3.5 - 0 for the weekend.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Tyek wrote:
Wow nice weekend of soccer for you and the team. Grats on the wins!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I drove through Phoenix this weekend too. At one point I just put my middle finger out the window and muttered a few choice words under my breath, I hope they made their way to you!
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Winnow wrote:
Tyek wrote:
Wow nice weekend of soccer for you and the team. Grats on the wins!
Yeah good weekend. Thanks
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Spang wrote:I acknowledge your belief, but nowhere in the handbook does it say I must respect it.
So it's acceptable for you to be bigoted/prejudicial on your preferred topics but no one else is allowed to be on theirs? (not that it's something to aim for)
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

Grats to you and your girls, Tyek!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aabidano wrote:
Spang wrote:I acknowledge your belief, but nowhere in the handbook does it say I must respect it.
So it's acceptable for you to be bigoted/prejudicial on your preferred topics but no one else is allowed to be on theirs? (not that it's something to aim for)
You're free to respect all the beliefs.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Thanks Dak, we are getting to be a known entity which is what we set out for these girls. 2 More showcases later this summer. Pleasanton and either Ventura or Cerritos.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Just finished another showcase. Pleasanton. We played in the top brackets against the best teams from the West. We tied for 2nd in our bracket, but ref took away the tying goal in our one loss because he was mad at my assistant otherwise we would have had a shot at first. We were the highest finishing So Cal team and 4 more girls of mine will have multiple schools to pick from to play college soccer and get some funds. The best part of this is that we are a team of primarily low income kids. Many if my parents live on incomes of 25k a year. My assistant and I volunteer and this weekend we beat teams paying 2500 a year in just club fees and thousands more in travel. One of the teams we beat pays 8K a year. I am so very proud of these girls, plus taking them to San Fransisco, Phoenix, etc is the only travel some of these kids have ever had. It is amazing to watch these girls who are trying to act cool suddenly at the Golden Gate Bridge saying "Hey Bryan, is this..." they become the kids they were, filled with awe. It is my last year coaching. Every practice and game is filled with pain, but I should have 19 girls going to college in the next year or 2 (4 are younger) and 11 or 12 of them will get some financial help with coaches helping them maximize their funding through "first generation" and other programs. So at the end of it all it is worth it. Some of these kids just need the chance and they will be special. Yoith Soccer has become about money, so it has been a blast turning that on its head.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's great what you've done Tyek. Years from now, some of those girls will come back to thank you but even if they don't, you made a difference.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

That is the goal. I remember going to play in Canada in the 70's and 80's, playing teams from Mexico, Denmark, Germany. I don't remember the games much, but I remember the teammates, coaches, locations and fun. I want them to experience that too. Plus a few of them will get a college education at an extremely reduced cost.

One of the local coaches is a friend. He loves telling our story. He said he recently told a large club about us and told the guy we charge $0 dollars. Said the guy turned pale. He charges about 2800 a year and has accomplished less then us. Amazing part is, I thought I would have people knocking at my door trying to join, but not really. Just the core group we started with a few additions along the way. A few who left for the glitz have returned even. Oh well.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Trying to get girls in shape for the season, we got into another showcase. We beat 2 teams that are in the EGLS http://www.elitegirlssoccerleague.com/ teams. These are supposed to be teams that travel all of the country and are the clubs second best team out of 6-10 teams in that age group. We beat them both 3-0. We had one really bad half against a Premier team and that hurt us overall, but even in that game we turned it around and took over the game. (Daughter had 2 goals in one game too!). I really love watching them play with some of the best teams in the country and not only hang with them, but beat them!
Tyek wrote:That is the goal. I remember going to play in Canada in the 70's and 80's, playing teams from Mexico, Denmark, Germany. I don't remember the games much, but I remember the teammates, coaches, locations and fun. I want them to experience that too. Plus a few of them will get a college education at an extremely reduced cost.

One of the local coaches is a friend. He loves telling our story. He said he recently told a large club about us and told the guy we charge $0 dollars. Said the guy turned pale. He charges about 2800 a year and has accomplished less then us. Amazing part is, I thought I would have people knocking at my door trying to join, but not really. Just the core group we started with a few additions along the way. A few who left for the glitz have returned even. Oh well.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

So what a week!

I got to spend 30 minutes during my commute today talking to one of my players. She was nervous because she is going to be on the phone with 2 of the schools that want her. I see her several times a week and she has hit that "I am too cool" phase, but listening to her excitement and nervous energy reminded me why I am doing this despite the pain. This kid is going to go to college, earn a degree and do something with her life. Her parents make 25K a year combined, so this is a HUGE opportunity. Obviously she is going to get Federal Funding and take advantage of scholarship programs, but I am excited to see her move forward, soccer has pushed her to this and that is fun to watch...

even more amazing was an email I received yesterday. At our last game a guy walked up to me and says, "wow it is you, I did not know you even knew soccer." I had worked with this guy about 13 years ago as salespeople in the same company. He asked about the team, told me about his and was stunned when I told him we did not charge. Their team base fee, before travel and training was 3600 a year. Uniform is 500 for their package. We ended up winning easily 3-0 and I went to turn in the game card. One of their parents approached me and asked where my town was even located and then told me we were the best team he saw all weekend. He tells me the parents on the sideline were "kinda grouchy" about our domination and he heard grumblings about what the parents pay. So he asked me to clarify. I told him that the girls pay registration and a share of any tournament fee and that is it. I cover all the waters, snacks (at tournaments), team soccer equipment, etc...I told him that even with that low cost I have to "Sponsor" several girls, and my other coach and my manager do too. I showed him some of the girls bags, with logos missing, sweats that are too small and told him we work on finding showcases to get the girls seen and so they can play teams like his, so for at least that time, they can feel like they are a big club, that they belong with these kids on the field. He just shook my hand and said thank you for what you do. Pretty nice thing to do. Back to the email, I get a cryptic "are you the coach of ......." I email back and said, yes, here is my number if you have any questions or concerns.

2 hours later an email arrives. My wife and I loved your story. We want to buy your team backpacks. He wanted a quote on bags and embroidery for the team. Of course I told him I am honored, but he did not have to do that, we just appreciated the kind words, but he wrote back he WANTS to do it. How Fucking cool is that. He said pick whatever you need most for the girls and let him know. This is a stranger, we played them 1 time and he offered that. Sometimes you meet amazing people in the world. I am still stunned by his offer. Thought I would share a little story of someone doing something great for others, this guy and his wife are awesome.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Finally finishing my coaching career this month. One of my girls was just picked up by the El Salvador Women's U20 team and will be trying to help them get to thw U20 World Cup next year.