Whatcha Been Playin'? 2015

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: Whatcha Been Playin'? 2015

Post by Boogahz »

A friend actually made me install this on my PS4 today. I hadn't even taken it out of the wrapper it came in when I bought the Destiny white PS4 bundle! Just trying to figure it out a bit before bed tonight. Uber level 2 so far :P
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

2! Enjoy it before Funk and Fair come in and try to harsh your mellow.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Spang wrote:I've been playing a lot of Elder Scrolls Online. It starts out pretty slow, but once you get into it, it's quite good.
Are you playing it on PC or Xbone?
PC.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Marvel Heroes and War Thunder mostly. Shooting down other planes in quick dogfights is the most satisfying/fun 15 minutes in gaming for me right now.

Maxed three Heroes to level 60 so far with another 5 in the mid level range. The more characters you have at level 60, the higher your experience bonus while leveling up other heroes:

Silver Surfer (movement attacks/AOE)
Iceman (Summoner/AOE)
Scarlet Witch (AOE)

Scarlet Witch had a review last week and moved into the top tier of heroes. While she's AOE and doesn't have much defense, she can still face tank bosses due to the insane HP regen from various spells she casts. Fun character to play. She's a teleporter which makes life so much easier getting around the maps quickly. If you're feeling lazy, you can dump 20 points into Chaos Warp wreak havoc with your AOE bubble of death. It's great for trash/non boss mobs as is her insta death to all but boss mob signature "Unmake Reality" power.

ImageImage

Man Hands! You can play as her son Wiccan (same powers just different costume/voice) if you want to play as a male. He's gay in the comics. If you've got a problem with that, play Iceman..oh wait, he just came out as gay too this month in the comics. I guess the comics are following along with 90% of TV series that feel the need to throw in a gay couple to be be part of the flavor of the month/year/hot topic. No idea why they made Iceman gay. It's so random. Last year it was make some random heroes black (Nick Fury, Captain America and Spider-Man soon). Here's a thought. Create new heroes that are black and gay. I'm sure the LGBT community would identify with new characters instead of characters that most likely said racist/homo slurs in the 40's before the comics code and now all of the sudden convert. Wiccan's ok. He's new/legit gay, not random converted gay.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I finished by Nightmare Dragon Age: Inquisition run last night. Bagged the last of the original 1000 achievement points that originally shipped with the game.

I'm playing through the Jaws of Hakkon DLC now(also on nightmare).

Otherwise, I'm playing Arkham Origins and Saints Row 4 on PC.

Also playing Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China on the Xbox One
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Animalor wrote:I finished by Nightmare Dragon Age: Inquisition run last night. Bagged the last of the original 1000 achievement points that originally shipped with the game.

I'm playing through the Jaws of Hakkon DLC now(also on nightmare).

Otherwise, I'm playing Arkham Origins and Saints Row 4 on PC.

Also playing Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China on the Xbox One
I started up Dragon Age the other night after I finished the platinum for Bloodborne, with the intention of going for the nightmare play through because that's all I have left, too. I got to a rift, and got fucking owned, and figured that's about enough of that. I need a break from frustration and tedium for a bit (which is also why I haven't started playing Dark Souls 2 yet).
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Black Desert and Witcher 3.

Black Desert is visually the best looking MMORPG I've seen so far. It's a Korean game. I'm playing the Japanese beta (don't bother unless you have Japan VPN, can figure out Japanese characters for captcha, navigate some pages in Japanese, find way to download game that's not via slow japan IP, install english patch, etc)

Once up and running with English patch, the game is very playable even though the translations are more google translate side of things.

Combat is skill/combo based. UI/Quests/Combat are all well done. Character creation is one of those extreme detail facial mold, place every hair, iris/pupil/lens detailed types.

I can't stop fishing in this game. It's so peaceful. The atmosphere and ambiance is so well done that it's relaxing to fish. Here's an example of how weather effects your characters clothes, etc:

Full size so linked

Before rain:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/218 ... sert01.JPG
After rain:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/218 ... sert02.JPG
character detail
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/218 ... sert03.JPG
character detail
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/218 ... sert04.JPG

Even the horses, etc get drenched in the rain. When you drop the UI and take a picture in blurs the background for photo effect but in game, all is detailed. Those screens are on high graphics setting but there's also Very High and Ultra settings above that.

Easier to see in video format:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SABY8SBtbvs

Someone posted a picture of their character high up on a mountain and their eyebrows were blowing in the wind.

Anyway, the visuals are amazing in the game. Combined with the great audio, waves crashing, seaguls, rain, etc. It's very peaceful. I've leveled up a few levels just fishing. There's tons of fish and they vary all over the world. There's a mini fishing game. The rarer the fish, the more characters you need to type after hooking it. the value of fish vary greatly and you get better ones by traveling to islands. Fishing conditions for regions are also posted. Rich, normal, depleted, etc.

Gathering, crafting, trading, in this game are all well done.

Black Desert shouldn't take long to get the the U.S (unlike the ridiculous three years Blade and Soul took). Might be worth a look late this year or early next year.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Destiny on PS4 and back into SWTOR a bit.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Witcher 3 on PS4 - My wife surprised me with this game, as she often does. I planned on skipping this until next year and grabbing a goty edition or something. I played about an hour or two and it's pretty good so far. The reviews are off the charts, so I look forward to the point when it (hopefully) becomes a bit more of a unique experience. So far it seem like a lot of other games I have played, although refined, and with a new coat of paint. I'm going to dig into this a lot more today.

Splatoon on WiiU - I got this last night and have been loving it. It has wonderful charm and reminds me of Garden Warfare in how I just want to keep playing it over and over. It looks wonderful and it's a very unique take on the shooter genre. Maps and modes are a bit light though. This game is a hit.

WoW - I'm still doing pet stuff. That's my main drive in the game right now, but there's still a lot I need to do in this area.

Bloodborne on PS4 - I'm still chipping away at this. I tend to only play this when I have larger blocks of time to commit.

Retro Gaming on Raspberry Pi 2 - I went ahead and purchased, assembled, and loaded up a Raspberry Pi to act as an emulation station. I have about 15,000 games dating back from Atari 2600 to the PS1 era. Lots of arcade titles in there too. I use my MK9 fight stick from the 360 as a controller. It all works out great. I've been playing dozens and dozens of games on that since last week, mainly just testing things out. Perhaps next year I can finally get that arcade cab built. I want to make sure my family enjoys these types of games and that the cab will get plenty of use before I really throw myself into the project. Total cost on the Rapberry Pi 2 was $107 because I got a larger SD card as well as a custom case and a different wifi dongle. Kits can be had for 60-70ish.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Been playing games on the PC mostly decently and re-dipping back into Destiny with the new expansion. Wrapped up Batman: Arkham Origins recently. the story was decent but the real gem was the Cold Cold Heart DLC mission. Love me some Mr. Freeze.

Picked up Splatoon for the kids. Good little game. Will have to play it more.

The current playlist includes Unfinished Swan on the VITA and Saints Row 4 on the PC. I may go back to Dragon Age and finish up the DLC as well as play through the AC Unity DLC as well.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I beat Wolfenstein, so it's back to Witcher 3 for me. I'm happy to have the 53GB back on my PS4 HD for more games!

I'm also a couple of hours into Batman Arkham Knight, which looks amazing on the PS4. I am DLing Driveclub, MGS Ground Zeroes, and Planetside 2 on my PS4 and will give each one of those a try tomorrow.

On PC I DLed the World of Warships Beta today and hope to make time to play that tomorrow. There's also a new content patch for WoW, but I'm not really super excited about that right now. Since I took a couple of weeks off from WoW it has freed me up to dig into my console games, which have taken center stage.

I am still working my way through Ori on my Xbone, as well as a couple of new pinball tables for Pinball FX2. My oldest daughter and I are still playing through Child of Light and Rayman Legends together too.

My WiiU has been getting a serious workout thanks to Splatoon. There has been a ton of new content added to the game, but goddamn the average player's skillset seems to be through the roof. I'm way behind on levels so I usually end up in a lobby with almost everyone at max level. I can barely ever win 1v1 encounters in the game because everyone's weapons and gear are so much better than mine. So I end up playing this in short bursts, but it's easily my go to game when I only have a short time to play something.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Actually making some progress on my backlog for once. I'm about finished with Metro 2033, and will move onto Last Light after that - then I want to clean up Dark Souls 2.

I also played Elder Scrolls Online - I really didn't have any interest in it but there wasn't anything multiplayer out and I couldn't talk my buddies into playing A Realm Reborn, so I gave it a shot. Man, that game blows. Honestly, it's pretty comparable to when FF 14 first came out (before they fixed it) - there is a skeleton of something that could be good there, but it's a fucking far cry from that now. I got almost to level 50 and ran out of quests, and couldn't do dungeons because the dungeon finder doesn't work/no one uses it - and your only other option is basically to find a random guild to join and sit in a guild chat channel (sound quality of in game voice sucks) with a bunch of people and try to put together a group. I couldn't bring myself to try and grind a few levels out to open up the next faction's quest line.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Been playing a bit of Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, and Galak-Z. Other than that I got a few friends to play FF XIV, so I've been playing that again. When I'm not playing with them I've been digging into the expansion, and I really like it so far. You have to finish the entire main storyline leading up to the expansion to get access to it, which includes a lot of hard mode dungeons/boss fights, so I can see where that might not sit well with some but it makes sense to me.

There really are a lot of things they do in this game that every other MMO developer should take note of.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Lots of Diablo 3 on PS4 thanks to the new patch. My wife and I couch co-op the shit out of that game. It's such an amazing game. We're paragon 100+ and play on Torment lvl 5, but looking to go to 6 soon. That game is digital crack. The new patch is the best one the game has ever received.

I'm all over the place lately. Fire Emblem on 3DS, C&C3: Tiberium Wars on PC, Final Fantasy IV on Vita, and a pile of games on consoles. I literally have 3 piles of games, 1 for each console. I recently picked up Dying Light, Lords of the Fallen, and Rare Replay for cheap. My PS4 HD is full, so it has forced me to get games on my Xbone that I normally would not. Lords of the Fallen and Sleeping Dogs are examples of that.

I'm also playing through Mario games while I eagerly await the release of Mario Maker on the 11th.

I should wrap up C&C3 on my PC today and be able to start on the expansion, Kane's Wrath immediately.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I got a huge raise, a fat fucking bonus, the weekend all to myself (wife and kids out of state), and an upcoming 4 day weekend. Here's what's going down.

The List:

Witcher 3 - I'm around 12-15 hours into the game. I play it whenever I have at least an hour+ to sink into it and I'm in the mood for an open world fantasy RPG.

Bloodborne - Kind of a liar here. I haven't played it lately, but it's on my short list. Possibly even today. That's why it's in the stack. It's been on my mind lately thanks to all the end of the year talk on various podcasts.

Batman: Arkham Knight - Same thing here honestly. I've barely started this game.

Diablo 3 - Hilariously, when I upgraded my PS4 HD, my wife lost all her saves because she didn't have them backed up online with Blizzard. I backed up all my game files on a thumb drive, but neglected to get hers because it wasn't even on my radar. We were 247 Paragons in with 4 characters and she lost it all. She didn't even bat an eyelash and we started fresh characters this week to play together. Of course I kept all my paragon points, but I put them all into the secondary stats like +Gold Find instead of +DMG/Life so our new characters are surprisingly comparable in terms of power.

Fallout 4 - Great game but a time sink. I need to stop looking at all the building and craft systems and just explore the world.

CoD: BO3 - I play multiplayer with my daughters all the time. Usually a game or so before bedtime if they've been good. (They're always good) It's always split screen vs bots. I like this game so much I may buy all the map packs for the game, which is the first time in years I will have done that for a CoD game.

MGSV - Hmmmm. I started Ground Zeroes and bought the Legacy Collection on PS3 in preparation for this game. I still haven't gotten to it but I am curious to see what all the fuss is about. People love them some MGSV...

Dishonored - I bought the DE because I lent my 360 copy to my brother and never saw the game again. This one has all the DLC too, so it's worth it to me. I want to see any improvements first hand because I was several hours into the 360 version and thought the game was great.

Star Wars: Battlefront - One of the best looking multiplayer games I have ever seen. Matches last 15-20 minutes unlike the 45-1 hr matches I frequently found in BF4. Thank god. There aren't many maps, but there are a shit ton of modes. I'm still exploring all the options the game has to offer, but it's not very deep. In fact, it reminds me more of Unreal Tournament/Quake 3 arena shooter than a BF game. It's a welcome change and it's a great palate cleanser between larger, more serious games.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - This is my main game right now. Looks and plays great. Quite a step up from the last Tomb Raider, which was a terrific game in its own right. My goal is to have it completed by the time Just Cause 3 comes out on Dec. 1st.

NHL '16 - I've just played a couple of matches so far and goddamn this is the best NHL game I have ever played, trumping the good old days of NHL '93 & '94 on the Sega Genesis. I started a career mode just the other day.

Divinity: Original Sin - I bought this as part of a B2G1 free sale and have yet to play it. I'm hoping tonight or tomorrow my wife and I can test the waters. It has couch co-op, but I'm unsure if the combat will grab her (or me for that matter). If not, I will proceed solo at a later date. If it grabs her, then I would like to lean more into this than Diablo 3 for awhile.

Halo 5 - Finished the campaign and am goofing off in multiplayer matches here and there. I like CoD better, but Halo has it's own unique charms. However, I have the MCC and that has more modes and maps than I will ever play in my life, so if I need room on my Xbone, 5 will be uninstalled fist.

Mario Kart 8 - Always a favorite for family fun. It's always in the que.

Splatoon - I've been trying out some new weapons/builds lately because Nintendo keeps adding new stuff. Goddamn the people playing this are really, really good. I've always felt like a newb.

Super Mario Maker - A favorite of the kids. They make levels, dad beats them. When I get home from work, I usually have a level or 2 of vastly varying quality to play at least a couple days of the week.

StarCraft 2: Legacy of the Void - I should be playing this right now instead of typing this, but here I am. I have it installed and patched but have yet to play it. I'm on my PC whenever the girls have taken over my Man Cave for a 3D movie or my wife does her hobbies and watches Netflix. I'm only half way through the last expansion, so I'm going to finish that and play the prologue missions before I delve into this. But goddamn I love SC campaigns and fucking around with the editor!

Coming soon:

Just Cause 3 - I'm hoping to have TR completed and be ready for this game, which will be the next one I intend to play fully.

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Holy shit have I been looking forward to this. I'll be spinning Fallout 4, Witcher 3, and this until one grabs me to the point I finish it before the others. I heard it takes 30ish hours before you even get your mechs, and then it becomes almost a new game for the next 30+.